What is 0 to the power of 0?

AggieMike88

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
The original "I don't know it all" of aviation.
The answer is 1.

But break out your inner math geek or Sheldon Cooper plus your calculator or spreadsheet and have fun with this one.....

If you don't already know the answer as to why 0^0 = 1, then watch the video hidden in the spoiler.

just couldn’t resist...could ya?

I used to know this, and several other oddball limits, but that has been around 25 years ago.

The sad part was the teacher's answer to a smart question at the end.
I assume they have not covered derivations yet (they probably come later in class) but at least he could have mentioned that he will cover it in a future class instead of replying "I don't have an answer".

Thanks for the video, it brought back (long forgotten) memories. :)

I just remember that the square root of -1 is i. The rest of my advanced math was forgotten after I passed the AP calc exam 20+ years ago. I am a shame to my MIT educated grandfather.

The limit as x goes to zero of x to the x being one does not make 0 to the 0 have the value of one.

Last edited:
On the other hand, the limit as x goes to zero of x^x =1.

"Zero to the power of any paying attention... I'm waiting..."

Bueller? Bueller?

So what we are saying is that m to the n approaches 1 as m and n approach 0. Does that make 0 to the 0 = 1? I don't think so, IMO.

Zero and infinity do weird things that usually require special handling. It's the kind of things that get good math geeks excited.

This was a pin back button on my denim jacket in high school.

Two plus two equals five.
But only for large quantities of two.​

Good teacher. He engages the class, treats them with respect, and they do the same. Nice.

Good teacher. He engages the class, treats them with respect, and they do the same. Nice.
I agree... his style is something I wish to do when I get going on ground and flight instruction.

Back