What if Transient Parking is Full?

eetrojan

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
eetrojan
I'm embarrassed to ask, but if you fly into an airport, what's a good "Plan B" if all the transient spots are occupied? (other than flying away, ha).

What's the etiquette here?

Find a vacant patch of dirt next to the paved ramp?

Towered vs. non-towered? Thanks!

Radio up FBO or Airport staff on Unicom if one is available and ask where to park or just ask Ground at a controlled field...although Ground will not recommend one FBO over another if they are commercially run, just give you options.

Each airport would have a different procedure. Anything from "park over there in the grass, hope you brought tie downs" to, "see ya!"

Super busy places often put Ramp reservation requirements on for peak days/weeks/whatever and if you don't have a reservation you can fuel up and leave.

Completely depends on where you're going and whether or not they have a plan.

as mentioned above ring the unicom see what they have to say! If no one answers, park right out front, walk in and ask where they want to move it! Best bet though if you know you are going somewhere that you're going to leave your plane for at least a few hours I always call ahead and advise I'm coming in to the FBO I plan on parking at.

If I'm just going to be there for an hour or two, I'll just pick a numbered spot that doesn't obviously look like it is in use and go for it. The probability you are going to step on someone's toes is fairly low.

If I'm just going to be there for an hour or two, I'll just pick a numbered spot that doesn't obviously look like it is in use and go for it. The probability you are going to step on someone's toes is fairly low.

You might think but I used to have a tie down close to transient parking and came back three separate times to someone parked in my tie down pot. Please don't do that unless you check with someone first.

I just park in the way and then ask where I should park. Usually a lineman will park the plane where they want it.

And if the lineman pulls the plane up to the door when I am ready to go, I will tip. Or at least send over a pizza or two, depends on how often I go to that airport.

Just park somewhere safe and out of the way

When I don't know where to park somewhere, I'll pull right up to the front of the FBO and tell the lineman they can tow the plane wherever they want. I don't suggest you do that every-time though. Your plane WILL end up at the furthest possible location from the doors.

Crap, if there's that many people already there, I'm not getting seated at the diner either. So I'll get some fuel and be on my way.

<----- can't stand crowds.

I've only had that happen once. I flew into Whiteman the day before an open house.

I parked in an open spot, searched far and wide for airport ops, eventually found them (they moved to a new building), asked it it was ok and paid my fee.

I flew into some unattended place (I think it was Adams County Ohio). The phone number on the locked FBO building said to call this number. The number was for a dentist. We told them we called because the number was on the airport door and was quickly transferred to the dentist who apparently doubled as the aircraft board or something. He said just push it into any empty hangar.

You might think but I used to have a tie down close to transient parking and came back three separate times to someone parked in my tie down pot. Please don't do that unless you check with someone first.

Sounds like a bucket of paint and stencils for some better markings would have fixed that problem the first time, instead of letting the airport let it happen three times.

Sounds like a bucket of paint and stencils for some better markings would have fixed that problem the first time, instead of letting the airport let it happen three times.

Nope...all of tie down spots are very well numbered and all of transient is not at all numbered. Tennant parking is one one side of taxiway, transient on the other with a wide expanse of available parking...near the FBO and restaurant. My spot just sticks out on the end of the row...all parked by jackwaggons with the same mentality..."Oh, I will just be here for a bit and park anywhere...what are the chances..."

Just don't be that guy.

Nope...all of tie down spots are very well numbered and all of transient is not at all numbered. Tennant parking is one one side of taxiway, transient on the other with a wide expanse of available parking...near the FBO and restaurant. My spot just sticks out on the end of the row...all parked by jackwaggons with the same mentality..."Oh, I will just be here for a bit and park anywhere...what are the chances..."

Just don't be that guy.

Numbers are meaningless. Yellow paint with a stencil that says "NO TRANSIENT PARKING" was more along the lines of what I was thinking.

Some airports have numbered transient parking. Seeing numbers doesn't mean anything to anyone not familiar with your airport.

Just don't be that guy.

How about a storage trunk chained to one of the tiedowns? If that doesn't work, you can start positioning the trunk in the center of your spot after you pull out. If that still doesn't work, you can paint "NO TRANSIENT" on the side of the trunk. The bonus is that you can also use the trunk to store extra oil and window cleaner.

Last edited:
Call ahead of time??? Our company always gave the FBO advance notice.

Hey -- I bet you're that guy that double parks on the street (but it will only be for a few minutes :rolleyes: ) and blocks folks from leaving.

Sounds like a great way to get towed to the back 40. o_O

Hey -- I bet you're that guy that double parks on the street (but it will only be for a few minutes :rolleyes: ) and blocks folks from leaving.

Sounds like a great way to get towed to the back 40. o_O

When you see several rows of unoccupied spots way far from the group of occupied spaces, it's a fair bet you won't put anyone out. Not a sure bet, but a fair one. If I'm going to be spending any significant amount of time someplace, I'll aks someone.

Who do you suggest one call for transient parking? Airport ops?

Yes...I call the airport manager line listed on Airnav all the time at various airport to inquire if there is municipal transient parking available if I do not need any FBO services. That is a great place to start and get info on where transient parking is as part of your pre flight planning.

While a lot of airports are indeed poorly marked...my points above were to just say that of you are not 100% sure you are in transient or an acceptable space, just check with someone before you leave your plane and don't just assume that it will OK to park where you are...ESPECIALLY if in a numbered space.

Yes...I call the airport manager line listed on Airnav all the time at various airport to inquire if there is municipal transient parking available if I do not need any FBO services. That is a great place to start and get info on where transient parking is as part of your pre flight planning.

While a lot of airports are indeed poorly marked...my points above were to just say that of you are not 100% sure you are in transient or an acceptable space, just check with someone before you leave your plane and don't just assume that it will OK to park where you are...ESPECIALLY if in a numbered space.

Ops will certainly be able to tell you what spaces are transient, but isn't likely to tell you which will be unoccupied when you arrive, or accept a reservation.

KASE puts it on their ATIS no more room on the ramp. I think you can let someone off. But you can't park at all. So it happens. Ive never seen that anywhere else. Not sure if they still do it. I know its not all the time.

KASE puts it on their ATIS no more room on the ramp. I think you can let someone off. But you can't park at all. So it happens. Ive never seen that anywhere else. Not sure if they still do it. I know its not all the time.

Yup. Ski season. Ramp is full of jets. You can land, taxi to the front of the FBO, get fuel if you need it, and then they tell ya to GTFO. ;)

When I don't know where to park somewhere, I'll pull right up to the front of the FBO and tell the lineman they can tow the plane wherever they want.

Then you return and find out they put your bird indoors with the Lears for $150 ... when you leave, the font desk guy tells the lineman to move all those trainer aircraft off of the transient parking until next week;)

Back