What If: One of the Big 4 US Airlines Went Under...

Any chance you can or would want to return to whatever it is you were doing to put food on the table between 2010 and 2018? You're not alone, there's multitude examples on here and the pro board of folks who leave the airline whipsaw and land on their feet.
Yep. Already working on that project. Looks like I’ll have a contract gig for the summer. Hope to have a full time one lined up by fall. I should be able to get out without to much trouble...

I was flying full time during that airline gap.

Moronic statement.
Baloney. On an airliner you share the air with everyone. If someone is sick they can infect the whole vehicle. And good luck keeping that mask on if you want to eat or drink anything on a long flight.

The top to bottom air circulation on an airplane helps. The air that is touching you can from the vents above you. Very little air is traveling horizontally from areas occupied by others. As the air drops to the floor it passes into the cargo area through vents before moving aft into either the recirculation system or out via the outflow valve.

Also, the relatively short time period that any parcel of air stays in the cabin. The cabin air is replaced much more frequently than the air in a building. The incoming air is mostly fresh (~60% depending of aircraft) and the reciculated portion is passed through HEPA filters before re-entering the cabin.

The top to bottom air circulation on an airplane helps. The air that is touching you can from the vents above you. Very little air is traveling horizontally from areas occupied by others. As the air drops to the floor it passes into the cargo area through vents before moving aft into either the recirculation system or out via the outflow valve.

Also, the relatively short time period that any parcel of air stays in the cabin. The cabin air is replaced much more frequently than the air in a building. The incoming air is mostly fresh (~60% depending of aircraft) and the reciculated portion is passed through HEPA filters before re-entering the cabin.

That is, assuming you have a recirc fan, a few still don't these days.

That is, assuming you have a recirc fan, a few still don't these days.
Which are those?

The planes I've flown without recirc fans are no longer in commercial passenger service and they didn't recirculate any of the cabin air. 100% fresh.

Baloney. On an airliner you share the air with everyone. If someone is sick they can infect the whole vehicle. And good luck keeping that mask on if you want to eat or drink anything on a long flight.
Sure. What’s next? Murder hornet
You said everyone (paraphrasing). Many will fly. I understand, as you repeatedly tell us, that you have one of the highest intelligence quotients known to man. Perhaps you will quiver in place, but most folks will not take years.

Which are those?

The planes I've flown without recirc fans are no longer in commercial passenger service and they didn't recirculate any of the cabin air. 100% fresh.

CRJ200, no recirculation fan, and yes, it's all fresh air that way. What little air you get, lol

CRJ200, no recirculation fan, and yes, it's all fresh air that way. What little air you get, lol
I thought of that after I posted. I only flew the CRJ for a few months.

In ground school, the separate low and high-pressure bleed system sounded good. "Why didn't anyone else do it that way?", I thought. Then I got out in the airplane and quickly understood!

I thought of that after I posted. I only flew the CRJ for a few months.

In ground school, the separate low and high-pressure bleed system sounded good. "Why didn't anyone else do it that way?", I thought. Then I got out in the airplane and quickly understood!

I mean, if they maintain the airplane well, and the APU functions all the time, it's not terrible. But you certainly have to have a company willing to spend money to keep the 200 in good shape.

Back