What headset do you use?

dougperry

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
dougperry
I'm fairly new here so I am sure this has been discussed before, but I'm curious what other pilots are using.

I am back to flying after 15 years and very excited to be back in the air.

I am thinking about getting a Lightspeed PFX.

Bose A20 now, only flown 8 hours with them but so far they are amazing (used to have David Clamps).

PFX and Bose A20 are the premier headsets at the moment. Comfort is key when it comes to a headset. There are people who swear the A20 is more comfortable, and those that swear by the PFX. Both groups are correct, as comfort depends on the person.

The PFX has some really advanced features. If you have an iOS device to connect to it, there are a lot of customizable settings. The PFX likely has the more effective noise-cancellation, but that's based on anecdotal evidence. I feel like the build quality is better on the PFX than it is on the A20, but that's also anecdotal. One of the great things about Lightspeed is they have outstanding customer service.

The A20 has a smaller control module (the PFX control module is substantial), and uses far less battery power. You can use the A20 to make bluetooth calls from your phone, but you can't listen to music with Bluetooth, you have to run a cable to it. The PFX does both (BT calls and BT music).

The best thing really is to try to get your hands on both and see which is more comfortable for you, which sounds better to you, and which has features you appreciate more.

There are some other heads out there that are worth taking a look at, like the Zulu 2, the Quiet Technologies Halo, and a few others.

Personally, I use a QT Halo for airplanes, and I absolutely love it for that. For helicopters I use a headset from a small, custom headset company that I'm not very happy with.

Still using my old DC H10-13XL's. It's been over 15 years, and they still run fine. I just replace the ear cushions and head pad every so often. I'm one of those weirdos that can wear a set of DCs for hours on end and not be uncomfortable in the least.

Frankenmouse made of mostly older David Clark parts, a good DC electrec mic, and a Headsets, Inc. ANR kit. I've always liked the idea of combining traditional Mickey Mouse ears with ANR to get the best of both worlds.

----Added----

Total cost was the $149 for the ANR kit.

Last edited:
Still using my old DC H10-13XL's. It's been over 15 years, and they still run fine. I just replace the ear cushions and head pad every so often. I'm one of those weirdos that can wear a set of DCs for hours on end and not be uncomfortable in the least.

+1

-Skip

Frankenmouse made of mostly older David Clark parts, a good DC electrec mic, and a Headsets, Inc. ANR kit. I've always liked the idea of combining traditional Mickey Mouse ears with ANR to get the best of both worlds.

----Added----

Total cost was the $149 for the ANR kit.

I have had a pair of Headsets, Inc for about 13 years now. That includes a lot of Alaska time in C-206 and 207, which are very hard on the ears during takeoff, and temperatures down to -40f

In the C-421 I would have to remove them every now and then to be sure the engines were still running. I have thought about updating to something with Bluetooth, dual exhaust and color tv, internet and rocket launching capability, but the old headset just keeps going.

Cheap AirComm for about 20yrs. Just picked a new Fario ANR. Had a LightSpeed 20(?) about 10yrs ago that was stolen after I had it about 3 months.

The PFX is impressive, but the control box is HUGE. I've had the Zulu.2 for a couple of years and love them. Plus they're a little cheaper.

QT Halo. Love 'em.

A20 will get 50hrs out of a pair of AA rechargables, and I haven't tried all, but NR on A20s is way better than others I have tried

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

David Clark ANR

note that different headsets fit different people, well, differently. For example, some people complain about "david clamps" but I haven't experienced any such problems with either of my DC headsets.

I have Lightspeed Zulus, Bose X, and DC H10-13XLs, all ANCs. The DCs still work well passive when the battery dies. Lightspeed and Bose are virtually unusable with dead batteries.
I bought the DCs new but the others second hand. The manufacturers did a free tune up on them.

David Clark ANR

note that different headsets fit different people, well, differently. For example, some people complain about "david clamps" but I haven't experienced any such problems with either of my DC headsets.
Same here. I love my DC ANRs. Use them for most flying. I have Bose for my pax.

I use a Clarity Aloft in the biplane.

Lightspeed Zulu 2, but my back up Dave Clarks work well also.

I've very interested in getting a set of Clarity Alofts. The Socata TB line is a little tight on the head room for people with long torsos. I've got the seat leaned back a bit right now to compensate.

Bose are virtually unusable with dead batteries.

Not sure this is true. I've used mine before without turning them 'on' and they worked just fine in passive mode (albeit not as quiet). Haven't yet had the batteries die exactly, but I do know they work perfectly well when not powered on.

Telex 50D. Nice but heavy for long trips.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've very interested in getting a set of Clarity Alofts. The Socata TB line is a little tight on the head room for people with long torsos. I've got the seat leaned back a bit right now to compensate.
If you don't mind plugs in your ears, the Clarity Aloft headset is very nice. Definitely lightweight and won't bump into the headliner.

Zulu 1s, had em for a few thousand hours, use them daily for work, great headset and great company.

4 years with the David Clark's for me and no complaints. Best money to spend because of the lifetime warranty.

Lightspeed Zulu.2 for me. DC H10-13.4 and H10-30 for my three passengers.

If I was buying now, I'd get the PFX.

I carry two sets of rechargeable NiMH AA batteries for my headset. One in use and one spare. Never had a problem with running out of batteries.

Someday I might trade in my H10-30's for PFX's since Lightspeed gives me a $200 trade-in value for them and I doubt I could sell them for more than that...

+1. Been using them for 5 years now, and they're great.

Me, too. Had them for several years. Can't imagine going back to headclamps, even the Bose sets I've borrowed from friends. And no, I don't think the Bose did much before I pressed the button and turned them on.

Zulu.2 or David clarks depends how much arguing I want to do with the gf.

I sell headsets and have used them all. My favorite is Clarity aloft... I use Beyerdynamics in the 172 and really like them also.

Back