What has the FAA done to you?

Was working (volunteer)parking planes at the local airshow today they were kind enough to ramp check several of the planes that flew in.:rolleyes:

I thought that was specifically against their own rules!!

I thought that was specifically against their own rules!!

It's is supposed to be, but just another case of anyone with any authority showing us civilians who's boss.

I'm sorry to hear about your troubles, Nick. That sucks. Thank you for sharing though. I can definitely understand your frustration.

In hindsight, do you think there is anything (aside from not reporting it) that you or your doc could have done that would have made a difference later for the FAA, or was your case just unique?

There is only one thing that could have helped. When I was initially diagnosed, the doctor could have done a KUB instead of a CT scan, and then I could have easily proven they were gone because the KUB is less sensitive.

Can't go back tho once the CT is done apparently.

Hah! Are you aware of the rulemaking procedure? The FAA writes the rule, puts it out for comment. Usually ignores the comment. Publishes the final rule. Sometimes when they can't be bothered they go direct to final.

Well not everybody has such a rosy picture as you.
They can't "ignore" the comment. The APA says you have to address the comments before the final rule is issued, or the regulation is not IAW law. They can say "we considered the comment and disagree with it because of x," but that's not the same as ignoring it.

I lost my airworthiness certificate flying back from Mexico. To this day I don't know where it went although I imagine it ended up on the desk of one of the DGAC commandantes somewhere. (Btw, the DGAC will make you LOVE the FAA.) Called the FSDO, submitted a faxed request, a week later I had a replacement AW certificate easy as pie. Inspector was very nice. Another time I called the FSDO and said I may not be back in time to fly my plane for its annual, and they told me they'd help me out with a ferry certificate with no problem (although I ended up not needing it). It all depends who you talk to, but I genuinely believe MOST FAA personnel just want to help and make sure you're safe.

A couple times I submitted a request for rulemaking (to get rid of stupid stadium TFRs mostly) and although I didn't get the answer I was hoping for, the FAA's response did indicate that the FAA understood the issues.

Last edited:
They can't "ignore" the comment. The APA says you have to address the comments before the final rule is issued, or the regulation is not IAW law. They can say "we considered the comment and disagree with it because of x," but that's not the same as ignoring it.

No, I sere you've never actually been personally involved in the rule making procedure. I've commented on a number of rules, and have filed petitions for rulemaking twice (one blown off by the most ignorant ******* at the FAA, now fortunately retired, once actually adopted direct to final). I've been mentioned by name in the preambles to Final Rule at other times. The FAA perhaps doesn't "ignore" them but they give them no credence and NO they do not have to say why as you claim.

No, I sere you've never actually been personally involved in the rule making procedure. I've commented on a number of rules, and have filed petitions for rulemaking twice (one blown off by the most ignorant ******* at the FAA, now fortunately retired, once actually adopted direct to final). I've been mentioned by name in the preambles to Final Rule at other times. The FAA perhaps doesn't "ignore" them but they give them no credence and NO they do not have to say why as you claim.
The law says they have to consider them. Courts have said that the administrative agency needs to show that it has considered the comments, which is typically done by addressing the comments (tiered into groups of like comments) at a high level. So yes, they do. They don't need to spend three pages addressing each of the comments, however.

Once the comment period has closed, the APA directs the agency to consider the “relevant matter presented” and incorporate into the adopted rule a “concise general statement” of the “basis and purpose” of the final rule. The general statement of basis and purpose should “enable the public to obtain a general idea of the purpose of, and a statement of the basic justification for, the rules.”

In practice such statements tend to be lengthy preambles to the final rules, which agencies use “to advise interested persons how the rule will be applied, to respond to questions raised by comments received during the rulemaking, and as a ‘legislative history’ that can be referred to in future applications of the rule,” as well as by reviewing courts.

Last edited:
The FAA, like any other politically accountable organization, is all about CYA. Take the third class medical issue. Let's say the FAA, without Congressional action, eliminated the third class medical. And let's say some pilot had a heart attack and crashed his plane into some airliner or some office building on the ground. The public would riot, basically say that FAA was catering to an extremely small, rich, white minority of GA pilots and making everyone else unsafe.

I argued that the stadium TFR was arbitrary, served no security purpose and only served to punish innocent law-abiding pilots who inadvertently busted the unpublished, uncharted TFRs. My proposal to get rid of the stadium TFRs received a grand total of 6 comments in support. Apparently the hundreds of thousands of other pilots think the stadium TFRs are perfectly reasonable. So why would the FAA take any action to get rid of them, especially if some pilot could theoretically have a heart attack and crash his plane into the stadium?

Always an option. But my body actively produces stones, so even with lithotripsy, I'd pass what's there and immediately produce more.

Get the tripsy done, KUB or whatever imaging modality is acceptable immediately thereafter, be declared clean. Never report another.
(worked for me)

It's funny. I've been flying over 24 years and never has the FAA done anything directly or indirectly that has negatively impacted either my flying activities or my ability to fly. If anything, I have been mostly disappointed by their snail-like pace in modernizing technology. From many of the negative comments I have seen on the site, it would look as though the FAA has smacked down at least half the pilots on the forum...right?

What has the FAA done to you? No politics here, just specifically what actual experience(s) have you had to cause such disdain for the FAA?

Several things, all positive, including finding a plane at the last moment to do a 709 ride in when the flight school rented the plane I had reserved to someone else. I have no disdain for the FAA. Oh yeah, when the FAA couldn't get my 709 ride done in a timely manner, they sent me back my certificate which I put on deposit with them with the comment, "It's not right that I keep your cert when I can't get you done. It's fully valid and I'll call you when I can get something arranged."

I argued that the stadium TFR was arbitrary, served no security purpose... My proposal to get rid of the stadium TFRs received a grand total of 6 comments in support. Apparently the hundreds of thousands of other pilots think the stadium TFRs are perfectly reasonable. So why would the FAA take any action to get rid of them, especially if some pilot could theoretically have a heart attack and crash his plane into the stadium?

Maybe because they can remember this, but you can't? :dunno:

http://ghostsofbaltimore.org/2013/11/11/plane-crashes-into-memorial-stadium/

dtuuri

Busting a TFR is illegal

But....

I thought it was illegal to crash into buildings too?

Yeah, man. More laws will certainly stop people from breaking the existing ones they already break! Didn't you know?

A TFR would not stop someone intentionally crashing into the stadium, and that's the reason it was implemented (following 9/11).

A TFR helps focus suspicion upon potentially threatening flights, IMO, but I think they ought to publish the locations and valid times.

dtuuri

A TFR helps focus suspicion upon potentially threatening flights, IMO, but I think they ought to publish the locations and valid times.

dtuuri
What good does focusing suspicion do? It's a 3 mile zone. That takes, what, 20 seconds to traverse? You think the military is going to have time to scramble jets to shoot down some cessna 172 penetrating a stadium TFR if the pilot is intent on crashing it?

What good does focusing suspicion do? It's a 3 mile zone. That takes, what, 20 seconds to traverse? You think the military is going to have time to scramble jets to shoot down some cessna 172 penetrating a stadium TFR if the pilot is intent on crashing it?

If the military only needs three miles to shoot you down they're obviously not relying on scrambled jets and we should probably be thankful they don't demand even more space.

dtuuri

If you are talking to ATC the minor TFRs are not an issue as long as you are at a correct altitude anyway. I fly through the Disney TFR both directions seeing my dad.

If you are talking to ATC the minor TFRs are not an issue as long as you are at a correct altitude anyway. I fly through the Disney TFR both directions seeing my dad.

I think the stadium/park TFRs are just for show and for less guest annoyance while attending. Like the TSA, taking baggage screeners, giving them a whopping 40 hours for training, and putting them in uniforms that make them look like police. In fact, they're still baggage screeners, still miss all sorts of stuff, and they have no enforcement authority at all. That's why airports have police officers. There is nothing that a baggage screener does or did, that would have prevented 9/11. It's all a big and expensive show. You can't enter the terminal at Baghdad, unless your bags get past the bomb dogs and you go through a metal detector. However, in Atlanta you can apparently walk right into the terminal with a loaded AR15 slung on your back. Some of the things we do in the US are ludicrous. OK...tiny rant now over.

I am my own ticket agent, security screener, and armed flight deck officer.

Happy flying everyone.

I think the stadium/park TFRs are just for show and for less guest annoyance while attending. Like the TSA, taking baggage screeners, giving them a whopping 40 hours for training, and putting them in uniforms that make them look like police. In fact, they're still baggage screeners, still miss all sorts of stuff, and they have no enforcement authority at all. That's why airports have police officers. There is nothing that a baggage screener does or did, that would have prevented 9/11. It's all a big and expensive show. You can't enter the terminal at Baghdad, unless your bags get past the bomb dogs and you go through a metal detector. However, in Atlanta you can apparently walk right into the terminal with a loaded AR15 slung on your back. Some of the things we do in the US are ludicrous. OK...tiny rant now over.

I am my own ticket agent, security screener, and armed flight deck officer.

Happy flying everyone.

Leaving Moscow I went through the full security process entering the business area, then again at the concourse, then a third time at the gate itself. The concourse level had the sniffer detector too.

Back