What happens if you get glasses between medicals?

Damo88

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Damo88
Just got glasses for the first time and was wondering if I could fly while waiting for them to arrive? I'm a 121 guy and I had 20/30 in the left and 20/25 in the right. I managed to pass the vision test on my last FAA medical so don't have a corrective eyewear restriction.

Basically, would flying without glasses at this point violate 61.53?

Just got glasses for the first time and was wondering if I could fly while waiting for them to arrive? I'm a 121 guy and I had 20/30 in the left and 20/25 in the right. I managed to pass the vision test on my last FAA medical so don't have a corrective eyewear restriction.

Basically, would flying without glasses at this point violate 61.53?
I don't know but it sounds like you're telling me you didn't get them yet. :)

No big deal. I constantly upgrade my prescription between medicals. Same difference.

What happens if you get glasses between medicals?

I don't know, I would guess your vision is a little better.??

I flew with readers for a year or so before I had to wear glasses all the time. When stated on my medical something along the lines of must have glasses for near vision in possession, I still wore the Walmart readers until I found a Optometrist I trusted and got the glasses I needed.

Pt 135 flyer.

I don't know, I would guess your vision is a little better.??

I flew with readers for a year or so before I had to wear glasses all the time. When stated on my medical something along the lines of must have glasses for near vision in possession, I still wore the Walmart readers until I found a Optometrist I trusted and got the glasses I needed.

Pt 135 flyer.

My class 3 required corrective lenses for near vision, but it didn’t say a word about the contacts I use for far vision. I guess it’s okay to be unable to see past the prop as long as I can see the panel.

Sometimes the FAA is just plain weird...

If you get glasses? You can see better.

You mean with your medical? Nothing. At your next medical, mark the box if there is one and tell the doc "I must be getting older."

Perhaps I should rephrase the question, as it was typed out while I was in a store, clothes shopping for my toddler, with my wife, and evidently not clear......

Now that I know that I don't meet the 20/20 vision requirement of my first class medical, am I grounded until I am able to secure a pair of spectacles so as to be in compliance with 61.53.

Your medical doesn’t give u a clean bill of health until it’s expiration - it only means on that day, @ that time, in that docs office u met the qualifications. We’re required to self certify @ all other times.

Ya’ll are missing OPs actual question.

The question is, now that OP knows that uncorrected vision is not 20/20, can OP fly without glasses until they are either obtained or next medical.

Its one of those questions where the pilot wants to know if they can fly while knowingly not meeting standards….

Perhaps I should rephrase the question, as it was typed out while I was in a store, clothes shopping for my toddler, with my wife, and evidently not clear......

Now that I know that I don't meet the 20/20 vision requirement of my first class medical, am I grounded until I am able to secure a pair of spectacles so as to be in compliance with 61.53.
61.53 Prohibition on operations during medical deficiency.
(a) Operations that require a medical certificate. Except as provided for in paragraph (b) of this section, no person who holds a medical certificate issued under part 67 of this chapter may act as pilot in command, or in any other capacity as a required pilot flight crewmember, while that person:

(1) Knows or has reason to know of any medical condition that would make the person unable to meet the requirements for the medical certificate necessary for the pilot operation​

IOW, wear your glasses unless you meet the requirements without it.

Thank you!

I was only asking because I've never had glasses before so figured when I made my appointment you could get them right away at the optometrist, evidently not!

First place...10-14 days.

Second place...10-14 days.

Third place....10-14 days.

Finally found one of those 1 hour places an hour drive away, and now I look way too much like my old man.....

Ya’ll are missing OPs actual question.

The question is, now that OP knows that uncorrected vision is not 20/20, can OP fly without glasses until they are either obtained or next medical.

Its one of those questions where the pilot wants to know if they can fly while knowingly not meeting standards….
Good point. I glazed right over that part.

Right, different question in the header vs in the text.

If you need glasses, why would you not wear them? ???

If you are still waiting for your real glasses just go to WalMart and get some cheaters and use those until the real glasses arrive.

Thank you!

I was only asking because I've never had glasses before so figured when I made my appointment you could get them right away at the optometrist, evidently not!

First place...10-14 days.

Second place...10-14 days.

Third place....10-14 days.

Finally found one of those 1 hour places an hour drive away, and now I look way too much like my old man.....
It's not how you look. It's how you look. :D

Right, different question in the header vs in the text.

If you need glasses, why would you not wear them? ???
Was just scrambling to find a pair. I scheduled my appointment with the optometrist during a three day off stretch and everywhere I went was telling me 10-14 days until they could get the lenses in stock. I figured I couldn't be the first person to go though this so figured I'd ask the hive mind if this would fall under 61.53 or if I was still good to go because my medical didn't have the corrective eyewear restriction.

In any event, I managed to get a cheap pair to tide me over until my stylish pair arrives.

No you can't / please don't fly without wearing glasses now that you know you need them. You don't want to become a convenient target if something happens -"Pilot couldn't see".

Option 1 - Take your script to Lens Crafters. "Glasses in about an hour." Call around though and make sure that specific store is capable of making them in store vs a 1 week lab.

Option 2 - Almost all optometrists have test fitting soft contacts. (The six month supply comes in the mail a couple of days later). Get the extra exam to be fitted, ask the contact fitting person nicely for a spare "test fitting contact" set as a back up, and you'll walk out with 20/20 corrected vision while waiting for your glasses to be made. Even if you like and want to keep wearing contacts, you'll want a back up pair of glasses handy.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back