What happened to model airplane kits?

LongRoadBob

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Jacker
As a kid in the sixties, me and my friends used to buy model airplanes all the time. They were pretty well constructed (not after I got through with them, but...) as far as detail, and lot of parts, and usually fairly large scale as I recall.

When I started taking lessons, I decided it would be a good idea to have a model plane to use to think about the forces, and effects of banks, etc. a physical model to play with and see angles of attack better.

So naturally I thought it would be fun to have a model of planes I was flying, or planned on using. Piper Warrior, maybe C172 as well.

Went online and there was really only one model manufacturer to choose from, Minicraft Model Kits with a 1/48 scale. I built a C172, and after realized I should have added some weight to the front end so it could actually sit correctly with the nose wheel on the ground. Oh well. One grandchild visit later, and he wasn't really abusing it, slightly hard landing and the tricycle main wheels are toast. They weren't really designed though to hold very well. Should have been a little more solid peg/hole.

With these kits, a lot of the gluing is not "solid" as far as the pieces design. You have to sort of put them in place but they don't really have a solid stop or hole/peg to sit in so as the glue dries tend to lean, etc.

I probably am remembering wrong. And as a kid I wasn't interested in GA kits, only fighters R and bomber planes. But it seemed like there were a it more to choose from.

So along with "is GA flying dying" threads, I felt the need to start a "is GA model kit building dying"? Thread.

I guess kids today don't really build models, more like Lego, etc.?

The kids would rather sit on their damn phones, iPads, computers and click flashy, blinky things. I have an 11 y.o. And I struggle to keep him away from the electronics. We did build a balsa Cessna 150.... He enjoyed that but getting him to do it by himself is a problem. Double bonus the kit was made in the USA and I did get a plastic model of some type of plane also made in the USA for Christmas. I fear for this generation as they seem unable to work hammers, screwdrivers, etc, worse they seem to have no interest.

Last month a friend and myself went to a town 30 miles away for a Blue lodge 3rd degree, this was a Saturday morning and my friend mentioned that there was a hobby shop just down the street. After the meeting we walked over to see if it was still there and sure enough, it was! Now, where I live we don't have these places. Sure if you go to billings they have the usual big name stores but in my neck if the woods we don't. It was heaven on earth for ten minutes while I walked around in there. They specialize in airplanes, they have everything from small to large and single piston to radials , a whole wall of propellers really got me excited.
The store front doesn't even say hobby shop but rather displays itself as a gift and trinket hop? They even have model rockets and engines(which is what I am into). I am o excited to go back this summe when the boys and I go shoot done rockets.

I still build Guillows balso models for fun. I'm Midway through a Pilatus pc6 :). Never was into the plastic kits.

I remember back when I was a kid, me and my pops would launch those model rockets from the hobby store. They had that little launch pad with a wire about 50ft long and they'd fire off pretty high. Good times!

After getting my PPL, I built the Minicraft 1/48 172 as a gift for my CFI. I detailed and painted it to represent his 172, including droop wingtips and Powerflow exhaust:

103_0329s.jpg

I had been building models for many years, was a member of an IPMS chapter, and competed regularly in regional contests, but once I started flying, I spent most of my time with the "real thing" and the models went into storage. Now that I have a wife and a house, I spend less time out at the airport, and last year I set up the modeling desk again (the joys of having a roomy basement) and started building again. I'm not building to the level I used to, but I'm improving.

Here are a few from my old modeling days (all in 1/48 scale):

100-0091_img.jpg

101-0145_img.jpg

101-0160_img.jpg

101-0159_img.jpg

The kids would rather sit on their damn phones, iPads, computers and click flashy, blinky things. I have an 11 y.o. And I struggle to keep him away from the electronics. We did build a balsa Cessna 150.... He enjoyed that but getting him to do it by himself is a problem. Double bonus the kit was made in the USA and I did get a plastic model of some type of plane also made in the USA for Christmas. I fear for this generation as they seem unable to work hammers, screwdrivers, etc, worse they seem to have no interest.

In addition to buying and putting together plastic model airplanes, one of my fondest memories of my dad was exactly that. He was a pilot, owned a C172. We had this project, it wasn't a C172 but it was a balsa plane, we had to use an xacto knife, I think even some parts had to be designed from raw balsa. Put together the frame, empennage, but I think it was boxy, then some kind of crepe on the frame and had to "dope" it to get it stretched and tight. Was a lot of fun and a great memory. Of course, I don't think I got so much hands on with it, he did most of it, and looked nervous when I got a turn :)

I was hoping even though I have searched a good deal on the net, maybe some small company was still offering plastic model kits of GA planes, maybe even slightly larger scale.

After getting my PPL, I built the Minicraft 1/48 172 as a gift for my CFI. I detailed and painted it to represent his 172, including droop wingtips and Powerflow exhaust:

103_0329s.jpg

I had been building models for many years, was a member of an IPMS chapter, and competed regularly in regional contests, but once I started flying, I spent most of my time with the "real thing" and the models went into storage. Now that I have a wife and a house, I spend less time out at the airport, and last year I set up the modeling desk again (the joys of having a roomy basement) and started building again. I'm not building to the level I used to, but I'm improving.

100-0091_img.jpg

101-0145_img.jpg

101-0160_img.jpg

101-0159_img.jpg

All of them, very cool! But especially love the C172. What did you do to make it sit right on the tricycle gear? It must be weights but any special tips?

Why buy a model plane when you can just print one on your 3-D printer?

Yep. Gentle requests usually do not work with my 13 yr old. Turning the circuit breakers off seems to help. "Son, when the work is done, you can go back to your games." He is a big help once he gets going, as long as he did not get back up and play games til 2 AM. Then he is a little grumpy.

Somewhere in my basement is a box with all my Revell model cars and airplanes, Guillow's balsa airplanes, and Estes rockets.

Matthew if you have the guillows rc tomahawk, I'll buy it from you. Been looking for one for years. I had it as a kid

Matthew if you have the guillows rc tomahawk, I'll buy it from you. Been looking for one for years. I had it as a kid
My experience with Guillow's: Spend hours and hours building it, fly it once, crash it, look at broken wings and torn paper, put it on the work bench and start building another.

I built a balsa Cub (?) maybe, way back in jr high. Took it out in the back yard for a quick glide test so I could set the trim. Gave it a gentle toss and watched. I remember it flew great, maybe 20 feet or so and had a nice soft landing. Then our cat tore out from behind a tree and demolished it, thinking it was a bird.

I had the most fun with balsa gliders. Easy to build, easy to repair, and they fly well. Not pretty to look at after a lot of repairs, but they work.

hqdefault.jpg

All of them, very cool! But especially love the C172. What did you do to make it sit right on the tricycle gear? It must be weights but any special tips?

In this case, it's permanently attached to the base, by brass wires glued into holes drilled in the bottoms of the tires.

I empathize. I recall doing lots of plastic models myself and enjoying activity in a big way.

I also remember getting these from my Dad and playing with them for many hours. I wish I kept some mint in package since they would be worth a few dollars now.

il_570xN.910126711_dnj6.jpg

I built many a Hobby Lobby model airplane and rocket as a kid/young teen. My most of them came out pretty well, at least for a kid with no professional model-building equipment (no fancy brushes, air brushing paint guns, etc.). I believe I had an USAF F-16, Blue Angels F/A-18, Stearman in US Army livery, Marines AV-8B Harrier, Navy PBY Catalina, and a USAF B-29 bomber. I didn't built too many model rockets, but I know I had a few basic single stage models, one of which had a helicopter-blade recovery system (edit: Estes Skywinder). I did build a Comanche 3 triple-stage model for middle school science class with Class D-motors which had to be purchased with a parent in-tow. Most every other kid brought the cheap 12" rocket with an a/b-motor and I show up with rocket 3' tall, custom painted, with multiple stages and 9-fins. I never found half of it after that launch as it went close to 1/2 mile up in the air, lol.

Last edited:
I did build a 2-stage model for middle school science class with Class E-motors which had to be purchased with a parent in-tow. Most every other kid brought the cheap 12" rocket with an a/b-motor and I show up with rocket 3' tall, custom painted, with multiple stages and 6-fins. I never found half of it after that launch, lol.

I designed, built, and successfully flew a 3 stager for a school project. Unfortunately, the one time it flew (for class) I never got a visual track on any of it other than the 2nd stage as it spiraled down. Everyone else (they were much farther from the launch pad than I was) saw the flight in its entirety.

But, to answer the original question - what happened to models? At least two things. First, flying lost its cutting edge popularity (to be replaced by x-games, I presume). And second, models got expensive. I remember cheap models in my youth. They are expensive these days. Too expensive for a 5-6 year old kid, which was when I got my start.

This is now a "user" society. Kids (who become adults) never build anything, even kits. They just use whatever new gadget comes along and never even consider how it works. Economically non-repairable devices are both a cause and effect. Working with one's hands is looked down upon by the elites; everyone must "attend" college in order to be "successful."

103_0329s.jpg

100-0091_img.jpg

101-0145_img.jpg

101-0160_img.jpg

101-0159_img.jpg

Is that Corsair the Monogram 1/48th scale? I like the wear detail on it. I built all of the Monogram 1/48th WW II carrier series. Corsair, Wildcat, Dauntless, Helldiver, Avenger. I had a carrier deck set up on a shelf in my bedroom. I also built the 1/24 scale Mustang with the knob underneath that would raise and lower the landing gear. I had it chasing a 1/24 BF-109 which was inverted, cotton "smoke" trailing and the canopy off and the pilot half way out of the cockpit (bailing out) across my ceiling.

John

103_0329s.jpg

100-0091_img.jpg

101-0145_img.jpg

101-0160_img.jpg

101-0159_img.jpg
Wow, nice work!

Im still looking for a kit that has working ailerons, flaps and elevator.

I designed, built, and successfully flew a 3 stager for a school project. Unfortunately, the one time it flew (for class) I never got a visual track on any of it other than the 2nd stage as it spiraled down. Everyone else (they were much farther from the launch pad than I was) saw the flight in its entirety.

But, to answer the original question - what happened to models? At least two things. First, flying lost its cutting edge popularity (to be replaced by x-games, I presume). And second, models got expensive. I remember cheap models in my youth. They are expensive these days. Too expensive for a 5-6 year old kid, which was when I got my start.

Yeah, I had to edit my original comment because the Comanche-3 was a triple-stage rocket, it just used class-D first stage and C-2nd/3rd stages instead of E-engines. The 2-stage E-engine rocket I built was fun, but those Class E engines were hard to find locally and somewhat expensive. I always used an old car battery charger to ignite my stuff, because the Estes launch kit never had enough juice with the AA batteries!

I just saw E motors in the hobby shop for the first time recently. I don't remember them from when I was growing up. Probably for the best...

I just saw E motors in the hobby shop for the first time recently. I don't remember them from when I was growing up. Probably for the best...

Yeah, models which could utilize the Class-E motors were about the largest you could get from Estes/Surefire/etc at the Hobby Lobby stores. Once you got into larger scales (using larger E/F motors), a lot of it had to be purchased in custom kits or hand-made. You also run into the FAA rules when launching amateur rockets into shared airspace when things are capable of running several-thousand feet high, which I'm sure Hobby Lobby did not want any part of that liability. I'm sure that Comanch-3 probably gets into the airspace laws since it'll get around 2'K AGL, but I didn't know anything about that at the time, and apparently neither did my science teacher.

This is now a "user" society. Kids (who become adults) never build anything, even kits. They just use whatever new gadget comes along and never even consider how it works. Economically non-repairable devices are both a cause and effect. Working with one's hands is looked down upon by the elites; everyone must "attend" college in order to be "successful."

Um...not totally. My grandchild is a demon with Lego. They are kits with instructions (some to me seem harder than the old model planes) and many, many small and large bits and pieces. He can't get enough and puts them together so quickly, he's only five.

I did buy an extra Piper cub for him, waiting to hear from my son if they enjoyed it. The big difference is the glue, which can be tricky. Lego sells a lot of these, grandaughters though they go for the girls style Lego sets also love them.

Well, if anyone is around the Orange County (California) location, Hobby People in Fountain Valley is going out of business. :( Case of the father passing on, and the kids having no interest in operating the business. All inventory (including drones, models, RC airplane and cars ) are 50% marked price. I picked-up two model car kits at near 1980 level prices. ($9 and $12.50.) I had bought my son a model car kit two week prior at another hobby store and it was almost $30! So the pricing was good.

As of this Sunday, they did have some aircraft models left...

In this case, it's permanently attached to the base, by brass wires glued into holes drilled in the bottoms of the tires.

Ah...got it.

When I was a kid building kits, I never got good with the water decals, usually they bunched up.
The Cessna 172 I built, I didn't bother painting, decals, etc. because I really wanted it just to use for instruction, as I mentioned. After getting disapproving comments from my grandson, "why didn't you paint it?", I was just in a hurry, didn't have paints, etc.

I'd like to do better on the Piper, which is the same plane as I am learning in, so I wondered. Stupid question but, do you paint after it is put together, before assembly, or a bit of both? What kind of paints, that C172 looks so realistic with the paint on it. I don't expect a tutorial, but if you give a couple tips?

And what about decals? I figured I had a better chance as an adult, but now I'm not so sure.

It's the much more recent (1996) Tamiya kit - much better detail than the vintage Monogram kit, but no movable parts, so limited "play value". I've been doing some nostalgia builds of the old Monogram kits, sometimes building them side-by-side with more recent kits of the same subject. They were state of the art back in the day, and with some careful building, they stand up pretty well by today's standards. I've done their old Bf-109, Hurricane, and P-51B, and I'm currently working on their 1970s era P-51D. I've got the SBD and TBD waiting in the wings.

(And thanks for the complements!)

Is that Corsair the Monogram 1/48th scale? I like the wear detail on it. I built all of the Monogram 1/48th WW II carrier series. Corsair, Wildcat, Dauntless, Helldiver, Avenger. I had a carrier deck set up on a shelf in my bedroom. I also built the 1/24 scale Mustang with the knob underneath that would raise and lower the landing gear. I had it chasing a 1/24 BF-109 which was inverted, cotton "smoke" trailing and the canopy off and the pilot half way out of the cockpit (bailing out) across my ceiling.

John

Static models never did much for me as a kid, RC was where it was at. I remember ARF Cox models for about $200 around the late 80s, or about $400 in today's dollars. $200 today will get you a RTF FPV quad that you can fly around your house.

Um...not totally. My grandchild is a demon with Lego. They are kits with instructions (some to me seem harder than the old model planes) and many, many small and large bits and pieces. He can't get enough and puts them together so quickly, he's only five.

My son has done a couple of those kits. Those things are not cheap! Speaking of not cheap, I'm just getting him in to model railroading. Gotta get him into RC cars next, then amateur radio... It's for the children...

I'd like to do better on the Piper, which is the same plane as I am learning in, so I wondered. Stupid question but, do you paint after it is put together, before assembly, or a bit of both? What kind of paints, that C172 looks so realistic with the paint on it. I don't expect a tutorial, but if you give a couple tips?

And what about decals? I figured I had a better chance as an adult, but now I'm not so sure.

Both, but it depends on the level of realism you are going for. Yellowbird's paint jobs in his post above are great when you include the wear marks and subtleties . . . I never had the artistic hand nor the patience for it. When you look in the cockpit windows of the Cub, do you want to see yellow paint? If so, you'll need to pre-paint the pieces which you won't have access to later on. Control sticks, panel, seats, interior wall details, etc. will all have to be done before final assembly. Most of the kit instructions tell you when to paint most of the main parts, on others you just have to anticipate how it all goes together and if it will be seen. Some guys go as far as to paint all sides of every piece, even if it can't be seen after assembly. I usually just took the time to paint the featured items, but didn't get too picky about the detail on the inside (tailgunner seat harnesses, machine gun detailing, individual instrumentation). I used Estes liquid enamels for most of the small parts, but when it came to painting the large panels/structure, the rattle-can versions were easier to apply evenly and avoid runs.

Most decals are still water-applique as far as I know, so a steady hand and some tweezers are helpful.

All the model planes I put together as a kid were always assembled with black powder in the engine(s) and black cats in the fuselage...... too bad cell phones with cameras were not around back then....

Back