What foods do you like that not many others like?

Licorice, especially the German and Dutch "adult strength" varieties. The Finnish Panda licorice is also good.
Haggis, if made with steel-cut oats and a good yellow onion. Many Scots pretend not to like Haggis because it was survival food during the many conflicts with England, but as a Highlander we were always "surviving", so we don't turn our noses up when a good Haggis comes along.
Oatmeal if made with steel-cut oats.
Braunschweiger, Blutwurst, and Zungewurst. Don't like peeling the tongue when preparing Ox tongue, though.
Collard greens, Turnip greens and Chitlins (but only if the Chitlins are prepared two states downwind.)
Cornbread made with corn meal fresh ground. Of course, you dip the cornbread in a glass of buttermilk.)

I don't have too many food aversions and will try anything at least once, even if it looks as terrifying as this -

upload_2016-8-22_13-24-41.png

(my brother in law made that nastiness last weekend and swore we'd all love it... uh, no).

About the only weird thing I can think of is that I put mayonnaise on my red beans and rice. A lot of people in my family do, though.

Last edited:
Beans, brown rice, TVP, tofu, tempeh, seitan, quinoa, spelt, broccoli, capsicum, spinach, bok choy, collard greens, mustard greens, polenta, swiss chard, onions, garlic, whole wheat bread and biscuits, buckwheat pancakes and waffles, chutneys, veggie burgers, vegetarian chili, squash curry, and many many others. I doubt most people would eat anything we cook in the Steinholme.

What is a good price for TVP? At $10/lb on Amazon I passed, but I saw some for $2.50/lb in the bulk food section, so I figured I'd pick some up to try.

We need a reciprocal thread: What foods do you not like, that almost everyone else does like (or similar wording).

Oh, I forgot, when it comes to YUMMY stuff, real European horseradish. Not the 'murcan joke that is cut 80% with apple sauce, that's for babies.
Horseradish, possibly freshly ground from the root. Best sausage condiment ever. Oh yeah!

Mmm, garlic! Once I got a Trader Joe's gift certificate for $25 and I spent it all on different kinds of salsa, garlic among them. Tasty!!!

Tongue? Ew!! I draw the line at any food that licks me back. :eek::D

Oh, I forgot, when it comes to YUMMY stuff, real European horseradish. Not the 'murcan joke that is cut 80% with apple sauce, that's for babies.
Horseradish, possibly freshly ground from the root. Best sausage condiment ever. Oh yeah!
Almost every kitchen in Germany has a Meerrettich (Horseradish) grater. It is sort of a nutmeg grater on steroids. Also good on roast beef. Same family as Wasabi, in fact the Japanese call horseradish "Western Wasabi".

Almost every kitchen in Germany has a Meerrettich (Horseradish) grater. It is sort of a nutmeg grater on steroids. Also good on roast beef. Same family as Wasabi, in fact the Japanese call horseradish "Western Wasabi".

My grandpa always put fresh horseradish on his steaks if he could get it. I'm cool with that, too, but don't go out of my way for it like he did.

I don't have too many food aversions and will try anything at least once, even if it looks as terrifying as this -

View attachment 47248

(my brother in law made that nastiness last weekend and swore we'd all love it... uh, no).

About the only weird thing I can think of is that I put mayonnaise on my red beans and rice. A lot of people in my family do, though.

Pickled octopus? Sure, I'd go for it. My favorite restaurant in Half Moon Bay does pickled calamari, very similar, it's pretty good.

Almost every kitchen in Germany has a Meerrettich (Horseradish) grater.
Good to know. Next time I go, I'll ask for some.
Here (in the US), you just get Ketchup with your steak. *gag*

You guys got me hungry. Grilled sausage and horseradish tonight it is!! :)
(and of course good beer with that, duh)

I love those chalky candy hearts you see over Valentine's Day. I think I'm the only person over the age of say, eight, that still likes them.

candy orange slices

fried chicken gizzards

I'm on a damn diet and all the above sounds good

I love those chalky candy hearts you see over Valentine's Day. I think I'm the only person over the age of say, eight, that still likes them.

There is an adult version of those. They are called Tums.

Redundant, because if it's not raw, then it's "sushi w/ training wheels" as I call it. :)

Nigiri is sushi. All the rolls are for wannabes.

If you're going to be the food police, then at least get it right. :)

Sushi comes from the rice used, not the raw fish. You can have sushi with raw fish, veggie sushi, sushi with cooked fish (or even other things) and all are still rightly considered sushi. Nigiri is sushi, maki is sushi, sashimi is not sushi (no rice).

If you're going to be the food police, then at least get it right. :)

Sushi comes from the rice used, not the raw fish. You can have sushi with raw fish, veggie sushi, sushi with cooked fish (or even other things) and all are still rightly considered sushi. Nigiri is sushi, maki is sushi, sashimi is not sushi (no rice).

Understand.

My point was that I laugh out loud when people say they're going out to eat sushi and think that "real sushi" is a plate full of California rolls.

Raw Fish Nigiri is real sushi. All the Americanized puzzy rolls are not.

Love me some squid salad too...had it at lunch along with a bunch of white tuna nigiri.

And besides, the entire post was nothing more than Tim being a smart ass.

Last edited:
Octopus is rubbery and tasteless. Snails, or escargot in France and snooty restaurants, is chewy and tastes only like the sauce. I won't stop walking for another bite of either, much less go out of my way.

But calamari is durn good! And not just the fried rings. Used to get the squid dinner at a Chinese place, big flat chunks of the main part, served up similar to Mongolian beef. Tasty!

Understand.

My point was that I laugh out loud when people say they're going out to eat sushi and think that "real sushi" is a plate full of California rolls.

Raw Fish Nigiri is real sushi. All the Americanized puzzy rolls are not.

Love me some squid salad too...had it at lunch along with a bunch of white tuna nigiri.

And besides, the entire post was nothing more than Tim being a smart ass.

Sashimi is where it's at. Who needs rice? :)

Octopus is rubbery and tasteless. Snails, or escargot in France and snooty restaurants, is chewy and tastes only like the sauce. I won't stop walking for another bite of either, much less go out of my way.

But calamari is durn good! And not just the fried rings. Used to get the squid dinner at a Chinese place, big flat chunks of the main part, served up similar to Mongolian beef. Tasty!
Hmmm, octopus can be nasty or it can be good....sorta like oysters, fresh is great and anything slightly less is generally bad, very bad.

Hmmm, octopus can be nasty or it can be good....sorta like oysters, fresh is great and anything slightly less is generally bad, very bad.

One of the dangers of living landlocked. Sometimes, nay, most times, our seafood here sucketh mightily.

Even living in Japan, minutes from salt water and where octopi are frequently prepared and consumed with relish, it was very "blah," tasteless and rubbery. In many dishes, it is diced and mixed in, giving a consistency of having added small bits of eraser to dinner. I didn't purposely avoid it, but never specifically ordered it after the first time. All the other incidental inclusions only confirmed my opinion.

Lots of other food, though, was very good! Need to make some okonomi yaki soon, but first, need some okonomi sauce . . . which is easy to fake. Off to the oriental store!

Back