What exactly does this mean?

Dry Creek

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Dry Creek
Out of (morbid) curiosity, I decided to see what information I could find about a newly orphaned Luscombe at the airfield where I train.

When I query the FAA site for N224Z, I get this message:
"ATTENTION!

This aircraft's registration status may not be suitable for operation.
Please contact the Aircraft Registration Branch at 1-866-762-9434 for additional information."

I'm not sure this if is a simple out of annual issue, or possibly something worse. I do remember seeing this plane being flown for pattern work a couple of months ago. I specifically remember seeing someone hand-propping it and it starting to move forward. The person propping was able to grab the strut and spin the plane enough to hop into the right seat. I do think that there was someone in the left seat, and my CFI said she thought that there was another person in there too. So, it does fly - I just don't know if it does that legally.

And once you click through, it seems to have a lot of strange information, such as Status: In Question, Certification Issue Date: None.
Is there any way to determine if there is a lien on an airplane?

The other orphan would probably be outside of my budget, a Grumman AA Cheetah - N9702U.

I'm not sure this if is a simple out of annual issue, or possibly something worse.
It usually means the registration has been cancelled. Without a valid registration or one in the process of being validated or renewed, the aircraft is considered unairworthy, i.e., not suitable for operation. Also there's no requirement to report annual inspection status.

Last edited:
Go one step further and you'd find out

APPLICATION DATED 040722 120 DAY EXT 070622

And a look at the FAA registry says

We are processing documents received on approximately June 10, 2022.

Was probably recently sold or recently re registered and there was a snafu and it got tossed so to the bottom of the pile it goes

Well, I just wonder how messy it is going to get.
I surmise that they were in the process of changing the registration from their flight school that was closed down (Aviate at the Lake) and into one or both of their names.
I'm not even sure how their planes will be handled through the estate - neither one of their family is local (Colorado and West Virginia).

I surmise that they were in the process of changing the registration from their flight school that was closed down (Aviate at the Lake) and into one or both of their names.
I'm not even sure how their planes will be handled through the estate - neither one of their family is local (Colorado and West Virginia).
Sometimes simple. Sometimes not. Simply no way to know without looking at the record. All the FAA cares about is a Bill of Sale from someone with authority to sign. That's part of estate administration.

But don't assume the delay is because of a big problem. Many registration applications are returned for relatively minor errors. Problem is that big delay at the registry. When you or I respond to something really simple they want, it goes to the back of the line.

You want messy? I was looking for a 73-77 235. Found one registered in my state. Nothing online showed up for recent flights since '03. Might mean something, might not. Plane was registered to husband and wife. Wife died in '04. Husband died in 2010. But yet registration was kept up in their name. Hmmm... Dig further and find out the step son held at least a student pilot certificate. One could surmise he was forging their signatures. Or at least somebody was as registration is still current. Try finding him online and he too passed away earlier this year.

In your case an extension was filed so someone was trying to figure some stuff out. Wait another month or so and see what happens.

You want messy? I was looking for a 73-77 235. Found one registered in my state. Nothing online showed up for recent flights since '03. Might mean something, might not. Plane was registered to husband and wife. Wife died in '04. Husband died in 2010. But yet registration was kept up in their name. Hmmm... Dig further and find out the step son held at least a student pilot certificate. One could surmise he was forging their signatures. Or at least somebody was as registration is still current. Try finding him online and he too passed away earlier this year.

In your case an extension was filed so someone was trying to figure some stuff out. Wait another month or so and see what happens.

In this case, the Luscombe was always referred to as "Jeanettes Plane" around the FBO. Her Husband, Wil Lyons IV had a Grumman Cheetah.
The plane I am inquiring about was owned by the young coupe (35 & 30) that died in the crash outside of KCPT earlier this month. They had sold/shut down their flight school, and were in the process of changing the registration over to one or both of them as an individual, I guess. Since they were so young, I was assuming that both of their planes might have a lien against them.

Go one step further and you'd find out

APPLICATION DATED 040722 120 DAY EXT 070622

And a look at the FAA registry says

We are processing documents received on approximately June 10, 2022.

Was probably recently sold or recently re registered and there was a snafu and it got tossed so to the bottom of the pile it goes

This is right. The FAA could also process further extensions via email that wouldn’t necessarily show here.

In this case, the Luscombe was always referred to as "Jeanettes Plane" around the FBO. Her Husband, Wil Lyons IV had a Grumman Cheetah.
The plane I am inquiring about was owned by the young coupe (35 & 30) that died in the crash outside of KCPT earlier this month. They had sold/shut down their flight school, and were in the process of changing the registration over to one or both of them as an individual, I guess. Since they were so young, I was assuming that both of their planes might have a lien against them.
Jeanette owned that plane for several years, at least. I doubt there was a loan on it. And when you said morbid, you weren't kidding.:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Jeanette owned that plane for several years, at least. I don't there was a loan on it. And when you said morbid, you weren't kidding.:rolleyes:
No kidding. Doesn't take long for vultures to circle.

And yes, Aerospace reports will do a title search that will turn up liens, registration, and accident history. Worth the price of admission if you're serious. But I'd avoid contacting the family and inquiring.

Jeanette owned that plane for several years, at least. I doubt there was a loan on it. And when you said morbid, you weren't kidding.:rolleyes:

Would it be better to let it sit there in the open shade hangar and become a fixture like I see at other sites? When I die I fully expect my heirs to sell some of my stuff that would be of no use to them.
It's a nice plane that just needs some attention. Unfortunately it is so dirty right now you can barely see into the cockpit through the windows. At least it has moved more than that large piston twin back by the fence that's turned into a ramp queen.

Would it be better to let it sit there in the open shade hangar and become a fixture like I see at other sites? When I die I fully expect my heirs to sell some of my stuff that would be of no use to them.
It's a nice plane that just needs some attention. Unfortunately it is so dirty right now you can barely see into the cockpit through the windows. At least it has moved more than that large piston twin back by the fence that's turned into a ramp queen.
They've been dead barely two weeks, and you're wondering how to get your hands on their airplanes. :mad: Didn't you claim to be a friend? Vulture was exactly the right word. At least you had the sense to ask here rather than around the airport.

So when is the right time??????

3 weeks? 4 weeks? 6 months? 1 year? 10 years?

So when is the right time??????

3 weeks? 4 weeks? 6 months? 1 year? 10 years?
When it's put up for sale. Or when it's been long enough that you're comfortable tactfully approaching the family to ask their plans. Or never.

And so you don't have an exact answer, but are berating someone for waiting "when it's been long enough that you're comfortable tactfully approaching the family to ask their plans."

YOUR comfortable is not other peoples comfortable.

And so you don't have an exact answer, but are berating someone for waiting "when it's been long enough that you're comfortable tactfully approaching the family to ask their plans."

I don't care what you think. The OP is asking obtuse, ghoulish questions about acquiring the aircraft of two deceased pilots he claimed to know and care about. I suspect that if he started fishing around with questions like this at his "Saturday Morning Gossip Session" that he'd either wind up with a stern talking to from one of the old timers, or possibly a swollen lip. And he didn't tactfully approach anyone, let alone the family. And the fact that he wouldn't be comfortable doing so is evidence that it's too soon.

I don't think anyone was berating. Just critical of the timing. There's no anger behind it.

Last edited:
I don't care what you think. The OP is asking obtuse, ghoulish questions about acquiring the aircraft of two deceased pilots he claimed to know and care about. I suspect that if he started fishing around with questions like this at his "Saturday Morning Gossip Session" that he'd either wind up with a stern talking to from one of the old timers, or possibly a swollen lip. And he didn't tactfully approach anyone, let alone the family. And the fact that he wouldn't be comfortable doing so is evidence that it's too soon.

Apparently there has been a miscommunication. I never presented them as anything other than "an acquaintance".
From my post about their accident "Last Sunday a couple I am an acquaintance of, ".
All of my dealings with them were strictly business - as a customer of their flight school. I have probably only spoken with Wil for no more than 15 minutes, and most of that was on the phone trying to schedule a discovery flight. I tried to book him as a CFI while he was running the school, but he always rescheduled me with another CFI. I was hoping for a training progress evaluation after 12 hours with Chase. I only met Jeanette once while talking with Patricia Bird about some administrative stuff I needed to do. She walked in, Patricia introduced us, and we each said hello. I have never interacted with them in a social manner at all.

As for your assertion that I would sternly be put in my place by the Coffee Club Guys, that is exactly where I learned about the Luscombe being Jeanette's plane. I chat with them all of the time. I had no idea it was her personal plane - I assumed it was owned by the same group they had leased 919 and 482 from for the school. Are you a regular there in the mornings? Maybe I'll say hello and we can start over and get on a better understanding. I like to get Pireps from the guys (like Doc or MarkZ) who fly in early each day. I also like to chat and get helpful tips from the old-timers as I'm still a low-hour, recently soloed student.

I am not uncomfortable speaking with the heirs, if they truly wish to sell the aircraft. When is the right time? When they announce it's for sale. I do realize that GA planes sell very quickly these days, and I thought it would be prudent to conduct due diligence in the event it did come up for sale. I am not knowledgeable about purchasing aircraft, nor do I understand all of the issues that could later cause me grief and massive amounts of money just to end up with an airworthy piece of equipment. That is why I started researching the plane. It's not really what fits my mission, but there are sure few choices out there these days.

I take it that GDJ is your home base?

If this thread does not meet forum posting standards, then I can ask a moderator to delete it. I didn't start it to cause angst from the group - I was hoping to find pointers for navigating a sale that could possibly occur in the next six months or so.

Last edited:
I don't think anyone was berating. Just critical of the timing. There's no anger behind it.

My point, he was taking the person to task for it being too soon, but does not have an answer of when it is the right time.

Back