what does this plackard mean?

WannFly

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Priyo
this bird has 430W which i thought was approved for precision approaches?
Capture.PNG

Cannot shoot LPV (WAAS) approaches.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

If you're wanting the ability to shoot precision approaches (ILS), than a NAV with Localizer and Glideslope would be required. Does this airplane have those?

It must be WAAS and be tied to an approved indicator in front of you I believe

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My guesses
#1 Its not WAAS or
#2 someone didn't know WTF they were doing when the 430 was upgraded to WAAS or
#3 there is something special about the installation making that placard a requirement even tho it is WAAS.

That placard matches the description section in the 430 install manual exactly (non-waas)

LPV approaches are ****NOT**** precision approaches in the FAA doublespeak.

The placard is bogus anyhow. There's no reason for it. A placard against using it for instrument approaches is necessary if the full installation requirements are not complied with (notably making the trivial test flight). There's nothing that the 430 can do that this placard bans anyhow.

alright thanks guys. the plane is sold anyway.. so wont matter.. but from my knowledge point of view, i was under the impression that if you have a WAAS GPS, you can shoot WAAS Approach. is my assumption correct?

alright thanks guys. the plane is sold anyway.. so wont matter.. but from my knowledge point of view, i was under the impression that if you have a WAAS GPS, you can shoot WAAS Approach. is my assumption correct?

Some aircraft have a WAAS GPS installed that are not approved for that type of approach. Typically that's not the case.

If you're wanting the ability to shoot precision approaches (ILS), than a NAV with Localizer and Glideslope would be required. Does this airplane have those?
it looks like it did. i got confused with that placard

That was my understanding but...

That still doesn't change the fact that there are NO precision RNAV/GPS approaches in the US. An LPV isn't a precision approach. If the installation can't handle an LPV approach (which I don't understand why that would be the case), then it should say "No vertical guidance" or "No LPV" as appropriate.

That still doesn't change the fact that there are NO precision RNAV/GPS approaches in the US. An LPV isn't a precision approach. If the installation can't handle an LPV approach (which I don't understand why that would be the case), then it should say "No vertical guidance" or "No LPV" as appropriate.

Is there precision gps approaches outside the USA?

There has to be a reason the 4xx install manual and the 4xxW install manual are written that way

Is there precision gps approaches outside the USA?

There has to be a reason the 4xx install manual and the 4xxW install manual are written that way

Dunno. What I do know is the ICAO doesn't recognize GPS based approaches capable of precision approach performance (e.g. LPV) as precision approaches. Thus the term APV (Approach with Vertical Guidance) was created to describe the GPS approaches with precision performance.

Back