What Does That Have to Do with Flying?

FlySince9

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Jerry
Well age is creeping up, I guess... This is the first time I have to provide "extra documentation" to satisfy questions posed at my Class III Physical... So for now I'm grounded for a month or so...

During this process, thinking about the whole physical, in general, I wondered what in the world my testicles have to do with flying... Why is coughing with your head turned part of this exam? Just ask'n... :dunno:

Too little data causes too much speculation.

Perhaps you can tell us exactly the condition that the AME or OKC is asking about and what extra documentation is being asked for?

Checking for a hernia. A loop of intestine going down there where it shouldn't, and then getting stuck (incarcerated)... can be sudden and painful, which can cause incapacitation.

Checking for hernias.
True, but even so the hernia involved would be an inguinal hernia and I have yet to see a single inguinal hernia (even the biggest worst incarcerated and strangulated type) that would preclude the safe completion of a flight. So, the OP's question could be posed for inguinal hernias also...

Would be nice if the proposal to discontinue requirement for 3rd class medicals got off the ground.

Well age is creeping up, I guess... This is the first time I have to provide "extra documentation" to satisfy questions posed at my Class III Physical... So for now I'm grounded for a month or so...

During this process, thinking about the whole physical, in general, I wondered what in the world my testicles have to do with flying... Why is coughing with your head turned part of this exam? Just ask'n... :dunno:
Dunno. Never had the question come up.

Well, Dr. Bruce can probably clarify, but I'm pretty sure the AME guide doesn't mandate a testicular exam for third class.

From the source: "The Examiner should check for and note enlargement of organs, unexplained masses, tenderness, guarding, and rigidity."

That's fairly vague, and certainly makes no mention of having the applicant "turn your head and cough" (an examination technique to make hernias easier to feel).

A testicular exam has never been a part of any of my third class exams.

Well, Dr. Bruce can probably clarify, but I'm pretty sure the AME guide doesn't mandate a testicular exam for third class.

From the source: "The Examiner should check for and note enlargement of organs, unexplained masses, tenderness, guarding, and rigidity."

That's fairly vague, and certainly makes no mention of having the applicant "turn your head and cough" (an examination technique to make hernias easier to feel).

A testicular exam has never been a part of any of my third class exams.

That's not a testicular exam, it's a check for a hernia which is an organ issue, but then, testicles are organs as well, and a quick check for testicular cancer would not be out of line.

...sounds like the OP got violated.

I can't recall if I did or not. I "thank" The Gubment for reducing my modesty and inhibitions to that level.

True, but even so the hernia involved would be an inguinal hernia and I have yet to see a single inguinal hernia (even the biggest worst incarcerated and strangulated type) that would preclude the safe completion of a flight. So, the OP's question could be posed for inguinal hernias also...

Would be nice if the proposal to discontinue requirement for 3rd class medicals got off the ground.

Not everyone reacts the same way. Some folks might be perfectly capable of landing with a full on kidney stone in hard IFR to minimums. Some might not. They gotta draw the line somewhere.

Not everyone reacts the same way. Some folks might be perfectly capable of landing with a full on kidney stone in hard IFR to minimums. Some might not. They gotta draw the line somewhere.

Having had a kidney stone, I'm not sure I could...but by God, were I airborne, I'd have significant motivation to push through the pain!

(BTW, stone free before I got my medical!)

Wooa! I never had of that in any of my AME's. :no:

Seriously? I've had it on every one, it's pretty much part of any physical I have ever had.

Not kiddin! Not since High school days physicals. My AME Doc has never asked me to drop my pants and turn my head. Maybe your's is a little bit more friendlier then mine...:rofl:

One thing is for sure. If your AME is checking your prostrate and has both hands on your shoulder, you need to find a new AME.

Not kiddin! Not since High school days physicals. My AME Doc has never asked me to drop my pants and turn my head. Maybe your's is a little bit more friendlier then mine...:rofl:

I've probably used a dozen AMEs over the years and went through the Aussie physical process as well, it was always part of the exam, same for my ENG-1 medical for the MCA.:dunno:

If RR hadn't run off Bruce we could get a clarification on what's required.

I've probably used a dozen AMEs over the years and went through the Aussie physical process as well, it was always part of the exam, same for my ENG-1 medical for the MCA.:dunno:

If RR hadn't run off Bruce we could get a clarification on what's required.
Well, I don't recall Bruce doing it for/to me when I got my physical from him last month, so I suspect it isn't required. I do recall him feeling the size of my other organs, though.

Mine does a prostate examine also. Cancer is nothing to mess with. If the doc wants to check I'm in. Who knows, ... he might find gold! ::lol:

Can't we just fly commercial, decline the nudeoscope - get groped and then just submit that with our medical as proof?

Mine does a prostate examine also. Cancer is nothing to mess with. If the doc wants to check I'm in. Who knows, ... he might find gold! ::lol:

For a yearly physical, yes prostate exam. For my 2 year Aviation Physical, nope. Very different physical and no probing!

My PCP has made the PSA optional based on recent findings he was made aware of when he attended one of his annual CE classes. His comment was that basically (according to the report presented) not one life has been saved by a PSA. That is a huge statement and I cannot attest to it's validity except that this is what he reported to me. With that and the option I asked him to keep his finger to himself.

Dr Bruce, please jump in here.

The doc definitely didn't do this for my 1st class. I think he likes you!

My PCP has made the PSA optional based on recent findings he was made aware of when he attended one of his annual CE classes. His comment was that basically (according to the report presented) not one life has been saved by a PSA. That is a huge statement and I cannot attest to it's validity except that this is what he reported to me. With that and the option I asked him to keep his finger to himself.

The digital exam and PSA are two different tests. I don't understand why reservations about one would suggest not doing the other. :confused:

Well the comment isn't true. Blind PSAs have saved some lives. But on a POPULATION basis, if you look at all the extra biopsies done due to elevated PSA and NO NODULE to target, the yield is much lesser than the morbidity we cause from the additional unnecessary biopsies done becuase of the PSA.

AviatingFool or flyingriki or Waldo, or whatever he calls himself will be along to abuse me shortly.

Last edited:
It was a PSA test that saved my Dad's life. He was completely asymptomatic with an advanced tumor. Doctor said he would have been dead in six months and we wouldn't have known why. That was 19 years ago and he's still with us.

Prod away Doc !

For a yearly physical, yes prostate exam. For my 2 year Aviation Physical, nope. Very different physical and no probing!

Thing is, my flight physical is my only physical except every 5 years I get a lesser DOT physical for the USCG and an even more intense ENG1 physical including bloodwork for the British MCA.

Thing is, my flight physical is my only physical except every 5 years I get a lesser DOT physical for the USCG and an even more intense ENG1 physical including bloodwork for the British MCA.

You got me Henning... And this is from a US Doc? Maybe he is combining your normal "physical" and flight "physical". In that case, It might make sense as to why you are getting a bit more attention below the belt....

You got me Henning... And this is from a US Doc? Maybe he is combining your normal "physical" and flight "physical". In that case, It might make sense as to why you are getting a bit more attention below the belt....

I use the same doc for all three since he is an AME and one of the only 2 docs in the US that does an ENG1.

Well, I don't recall Bruce doing it for/to me when I got my physical from him last month, so I suspect it isn't required. I do recall him feeling the size of my other organs, though.
I really wanted to make some smart comment about Bruce not doing it for you. It is a good thing I'm above that.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back