What Does CFI Stand For?

retpd2001

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
retpd2001
I know that sounds stupid. I am having a friendly "discussion" with a young, newly minted CFI. I got mine back in the 70's and the verbiage was "Certificated", my young friend says it is "Certified". I disagree but all I can find in the regs or AIM is the abbreviation. What say you? Maybe we can start a new category called "Stupid Questions Thread". Glenn

I've always known it to be 'certified.'

It's certificated because it's FAA-speak.

Whatever you want. The truth is, that the regs (even before the change 20+ years ago to "authorized instructor" just said "flight instructor." The "C" part was always a colloquialism.

Whatever you want. The truth is, that the regs (even before the change 20+ years ago to "authorized instructor" just said "flight instructor." The "C" part was always a colloquialism.

A flight instructor certificate has a number on it with "CFI" at the end. I wouldn't call that a colloquialism.

If its referring to my first instrument instructor, it stands for " Can't F-ing Instruct" ...... Yea John, I'm talking to you. You didn't give a shirt about the students, only that magical time building on my dime. Go eff yourself.

If its referring to my first instrument instructor, it stands for " Can't F-ing Instruct" ...... Yea John, I'm talking to you. You didn't give a shirt about the students, only that magical time building on my dime. Go eff yourself.

Aww c'mon man, tell us how ya really feel! ;) :D

I'll repeat my answer from the last thread...In respect to airman, the FAA doesn't certify anyone. Instead, they have been issued a certificate confirming that they demonstrated the ability to meet at particular minimum standard. The reason for the difference is to convey that there is no assurance or guarantee that the airman consistently and continuously meets this standard. It's not like a "certified used car"...the FAA is not going to give you your money back if the pilot crashes the plane you're flying in.

The FAA doesn't certify airman, period. That FAA acronym list cited previously is incorrect, and isn't maintained as part of the official list of documents (orders, ACS etc.) that are updated whenever changes due to policy or rulemaking take place. The list is from FAA HR folks, who well, you know...probably aren't exactly the authority on matters such as this.

In Canada, CFI means Chief Flight Instructor. He's responsible for supervising other instructors in the same school. There are four instructor ratings here, Classes One thru Four, with a Four being the newbie, Three being the sophmore, a Two able to be a CFI, and a One able to teach students to an instructor rating. An instructor can teach whatever ratings he holds, like IFR, seaplane, multi, and so on.

I'll repeat my answer from the last thread...In respect to airman, the FAA doesn't certify anyone. Instead, they have been issued a certificate confirming that they demonstrated the ability to meet at particular minimum standard. The reason for the difference is to convey that there is no assurance or guarantee that the airman consistently and continuously meets this standard. It's not like a "certified used car"...the FAA is not going to give you your money back if the pilot crashes the plane you're flying in.

The FAA doesn't certify airman, period. That FAA acronym list cited previously is incorrect, and isn't maintained as part of the official list of documents (orders, ACS etc.) that are updated whenever changes due to policy or rulemaking take place. The list is from FAA HR folks, who well, you know...probably aren't exactly the authority on matters such as this.

Certified does not mean warrantied or guaranteed. The redefinition of common English words to suit the argument is absurd.

cer·tif·i·cate
noun
1. an official document attesting a certain fact, in particular.

cer·ti·fy
verb
1. attest or confirm in a formal statement.
2. officially recognize (someone or something) as possessing certain qualifications or meeting certain standards.

cer·ti·fi·ca·tion
noun
1. the act of certifying

Notice there does not exist a word to mean "the act of certifying" and a different word to mean "the act of certificating". They are the same word.

A certificate is proof of certification which is the process of certifying.

Last edited:
Certified does not mean warrantied or guaranteed. Your redefinition of common English words to suit your argument is absurd.

cer·tif·i·cate
noun
1. an official document attesting a certain fact, in particular.

cer·ti·fy
verb
1. attest or confirm in a formal statement.
2. officially recognize (someone or something) as possessing certain qualifications or meeting certain standards.

cer·ti·fi·ca·tion
noun
1. the act of certifying

Notice there does not exist a word to mean "the act of certifying" and a different word to mean "the act of certificating". They are the same word.
Don't shoot me I'm just the messenger. The FAA general counsel's office has maintained this position for decades.

WGAF! I've been a CFI since '78, and always heard it used as Certified Flight Instructor, among many other names, like that ****ing a___ole, DA, etc etc.

Next silly aviation wording question: as soon as practical or as soon as practicable?

Back