Certificated vs. Certified

TheTraveler

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
TheTraveler
Going through the recent Cessna Pilot Courses, I was surprised to hear this. I actually had to look it up because it sounded so strange. Nails on a chalkboard effect. I uploaded a short clip (link below).

Looks like both would be accurate and correct depending on the situation (noun vs. verb), but "certificated" just sounds...ugh. I've never heard anyone use it before.

Having good command of the English language isn't everyone's strong suit.

Certificated is having been issued a certificate. A certificate is the act of being certified. They are similar but not identical terms.

Actually, with respect to flight instructors, the FAA ditched the Certificated/Certified adjective a long time ago. It is now just an "authorized" instructor.

One writer's take on the difference in verbiage:

http://www.dailywritingtips.com/certified-and-certificated/

The FAA seems to like "certificated" I'm guessing because they issue certificates. They don't "certify" anything...they issue a certificate if it meets their standards, hence certificated.

That said, forty years ago we were always referred to as Certified Flight Instructors. The change to Certificated seemed to appear in the last 15 years or so, at least as I recall.

Actually, with respect to flight instructors, the FAA ditched the Certificated/Certified adjective a long time ago. It is now just an "authorized" instructor.

I think that's more related to the fact there are a variety of ratings/privileges attached to a particular flight instructor certificate so they're distinguishing between just any flight instructor vs. one authorized for the specific training required.

I was struck more by the word Skycatcher. What was Dr. Martha doing in one of those things?

In respect to airman, the FAA doesn't certify anyone. Instead, they have been issued a certificate confirming that they demonstrated the ability to meet at particular minimum standard. The reason for the difference is to convey that there is no assurance or guarantee that the airman consistently and continuously meets this standard. It's not like a "certified used car"...the FAA is not going to give you your money back if the pilot crashes the plane you're flying in.

I think that's more related to the fact there are a variety of ratings/privileges attached to a particular flight instructor certificate so they're distinguishing between just any flight instructor vs. one authorized for the specific training required.
That and there are times when a "flight" instructor isn't the only one authorized.

In respect to airman, the FAA doesn't certify anyone. Instead, they have been issued a certificate confirming that they demonstrated the ability to meet at particular minimum standard. The reason for the difference is to convey that there is no assurance or guarantee that the airman consistently and continuously meets this standard. It's not like a "certified used car"...the FAA is not going to give you your money back if the pilot crashes the plane you're flying in.

But they MAY revoke the certificate!

Some people have a way with words and others ... um, not have way I guess.

well.....they do approve stuff too. :eek:

well.....they do approve stuff too. :eek:
I was referring to airman certification. Parts can be approved, and manufacturing processes can be approved, but aside from being issued an airworthiness certificate, is anything certified?

I was referring to airman certification. Parts can be approved, and manufacturing processes can be approved, but aside from being issued an airworthiness certificate, is anything certified?
Hmmmm....I'll have to think on that. I'm kinda thinking not. :eek:

TCs, STCs, PCs, PMAs, TSOs, TSOAs.....are all approvals.

FAA ought to just call us CFIs IPs, instructor pilots. Just like the military does. But I ain't wearing no ****ing hat and uniform!

Last edited:
Back