What do you think this guy was up to?

jesse

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Jesse
In front of my house yesterday - I didn't have context at the time. Dog was barking a lott and I was working from home. Got up to finally investigate and heard the doorbell ring then some guy driving away in his truck once I made it to the door.

https://video.nest.com/clip/abcec004be9248f2ad338b624a4aad4e.mp4

Perhaps a good caption challenge?

I like how the cane changed hands along with the limp changing legs. He has worked at his disability.

He has definitely targeted your house, and I don't think he was looking to cut your grass.

Did he see you open the door before driving off?

Did he see you open the door before driving off?
No - by the time I got to the door and knew he was there was post door bell ring. I saw him just in time to see him drive away.

Last edited:
Curious... My first thought was he was checking to see if you were home so he could rob the place but w/ your vehicle sitting there in the driveway, I'd think he would assume someone was home. Looking for a lost puppy, His kids' ball is in your back yard.

I can't think of a reason to knock and walk away like that w/o waiting for an answer.

No - by the time I got to the door and knew he was there was post door bell ring. I saw him just in time to see him drive away.
The part I can't make sense of is why he seemed to already be turning around after he rung the door bell. It was like he wanted to be gone by the time I got there.

Maybe knocking and walking away to watch from a distance and ... Er nah none of it makes sense.
Might be worth sending the video to the authorities. We just had something similar but it was at 3 AM and now a lot of neighbors are finding mailboxes with opened and enpty envelopes

Leave a big box full of dog **** right there and see if it grows legs.

is there anything on the side or back of your house? wondering why he wandered onto the sidewalk and was looking towards the back of the house. maybe he saw something and wanted to ask you about it. like "hey I noticed your side windows are open and if you weren't home, I'd like to hop inside and check out your stuff, is that ok?"

is there anything on the side or back of your house? wondering why he wandered onto the sidewalk and was looking towards the back of the house. maybe he saw something and wanted to ask you about it. like "hey I noticed your side windows are open and if you weren't home, I'd like to hop inside and check out your stuff, is that ok?"
Wow, that guy is really polite. Must be a Nebraska thing.

Negative. David White's F150 was parked there with a bunch of stuff in it for the last few weeks. However - David left with the truck yesterday morning. Just dead grass over there now. No windows on that entire side of the house.

If he was planning on stealing the stuff in David's truck beside the house I would think he'd have done it already.

Impressive video quality. That was bizarre

It looks like he was casing things out. He might've gone up to ring the doorbell because he was trying to look to passers by like he was a legitimate visitor so that they wouldn't call the cops.

Ditto - might have to look into the Nest cam myself. (6PC - here's the next choice of cam for you!)

I too think he's casing your house. He looked in the bed of your truck to see if there was anything there. Notice he rang the door bell and didn't wait for an answer? He wanted to see if anyone responded, and he took the quickest way off the porch (through your wood chips and grass). I'd keep an eye out for the next few days to see if you get a return visit.

It looks like he was casing things out. He might've gone up to ring the doorbell because he was trying to look to passers by like he was a legitimate visitor so that they wouldn't call the cops.

as much as it pains me to say, I agree with this guy.

Also interesting that he came back and parked across the street for a short bit while observing what reaction came from your house.

My advice: Provide the information and the video to the police. This could be useful info to them for an ongoing investigation.

I will say that having security cameras around the house pay off in times like these. Very clear footage.

Perhaps he came from the future and is looking for his younger self to deliver a sports almanac.

In front of my house yesterday - I didn't have context at the time. Dog was barking a lott and I was working from home. Got up to finally investigate and heard the doorbell ring then some guy driving away in his truck once I made it to the door.

https://video.nest.com/clip/abcec004be9248f2ad338b624a4aad4e.mp4

Perhaps a good caption challenge?
He was looking for an opportunity but the convenient timing of the mailman kept him moving. He knew someone had seen him so he probably just moved on to an easier target. I can share some personal stories along those lines by PM.

He is casing the area to steal the truck. At one point he checks to see if the keys are in it.

He is casing the area to steal the truck. At one point he checks to see if the keys are in it.
Ya'll are soooooo negative. He simply saw that the truck had a low tire and wanted to tell Jesse about it. Unfortunately he got a call right after he rang the doorbell/knocked and had to go take care of some personal business.

After watching again, something outside says "here I am, break into me".

Put a dog dish, a big dog dish next to the garage door and a sign that says "Beware of Dog".

Also interesting that he came back and parked across the street for a short bit while observing what reaction came from your house.

My advice: Provide the information and the video to the police. This could be useful info to them for an ongoing investigation.
Yep, casing the joint. I'd also reach out to the cops.

He might be a porch pirate, or more sinisterly he might be looking for a package of drugs or other contraband that was shipped to your address that they intend to pick up assuming no one is home. If you get a package and are not expecting it, be very careful - around here folks have had their dogs killed by cops and been detained/arrested because the delivery company tips off the cops.

It was the Publisher's Clearing House guy with your $10,000,000 check.

Or he was casing your house for a later break-in or easy pickup of something in the vehicles.
I agree with the idea of sending it to the police.

Cheers

From a cop's perspective, one of three things:

1) He's coming back for the wheels off the truck
2) He's coming back for the truck
3) He's looking to kick in your back door

He ain't no encyclopedia salesman

Note to the younger crowd: encyclopedias we big volumes of books with lots of information in them, sometimes sold door to door. Kinda like the internet, but heavier

Now I'm gonna be watching for red suburbans, Tahoes _______ with that dude in it.

Y'all are a bunch of racists.
That was Ed McMahon.
You lose.

I'm pretty sure he saw the camera. That's why he peppered.

But, if he didn't, then he just learned (mistakenly) that you were not home at 1:40pm on a weekday.

I'd watch again tomorrow at the same time. I bet he makes an appearance again.

Back