What do you do for living (or used to)?

I farm. Corn and soybeans. I have my training done; just waiting to get my checkride done in a couple weeks. Hard to schedule around harvest, dpe schedule, and club plane schedule.
This photo is from last fall with my oldest:
View attachment 78871
And this was my view a couple days ago, finishing filling a grain bin:
View attachment 78872
Looks like you have enough land to have a grass strip.

Retired deputy sheriff - 23 years patrol, five one-year rotations in court security, short stint in the detective bureau (temporary position). Plus I was a field training officer for 40 new deputies, and had collateral duty as a fixed-wing pilot, firearms instructor and Glock and HK MP5 armorer.

Probably going to put my CFI ticket to work before too long so I can make some extra scratch and fly the RV-8 more.

Looks like you have enough land to have a grass strip.

One of my landlords has one on their farm; they took me up as a little kid and got me hooked on flying. He has a Christen eagle right now and doesn't take it to the farm strip... I'm trying to talk him into splitting a kitfox to keep out there.

Wet corn miller. 32 years. Owner, computer hardware business, 5 years. Delivery coordinator. 5 years coming up (part time).
Retired. Well, sorta. But, I've got the high ground in the hood, so I'm kinda set for a brief zombie apocalypse. Maybe.

I will fly again.

I’m an airline pilot.

Oh wait... that’s after how I make my living as an exotic dancer.

Cunning linguist. No, seriously. I'm a translator. Walked in the door of a small, boutique translation company in NYC 16 years ago, today we are the largest language services company in the world and the fastest growing company in the country over the past 25 years. Worked 10 years on the line in our pharma department, then I screwed up and got promoted, been in management ever since. Nobody seems to have noticed that I'm as useless as tits on a bull.

My real job is taking care of the instrumentation and performing calibrations on equipment in an engine test lab for an engine OEM. In addition to that I flight instruct part time and also maintain my friend’s fleet of 8 airplanes. I stay plenty busy...

I bring mimosas to my wife as she lays out by the pool. Also a bean-counter.

I own a credit card processing business, we process cards, do ATMs, POS systems, etc.

It’s an industry packed with dishonesty and crooked players, we work really hard to always be above it- but by God the crookery we see from many of our competitors is jaw dropping.

I used to sell real estate (loved it- my broker loaned me his c150 to get my ticket- we are still great airport buddies) and then was a beer and wine rep - that was an awful gig...

Whore.

But I have a day job as an electrical engineer at a defense contractor.

Which is sorta the same thing, now that I think about it.
One is more glamorous. I’m not saying which...

@Jim K what is your daughter holding? Is that a binder?

So is that a combine? And as you move through the field the truck drives along side you as you fill it?

3 trucks? One being filled, one heading to the silo and one waiting?

Do you own the trucks/trailers or that is a 3rd party (assume it’s a 3rd party).

what do those drivers and their equipment do when it’s not harvest? They follow harvests South? I assume those are dedicated ag trailers.

I’m a embedded firmware engineer. That’s software that automatically loads into a computer’s memory on start up. In many ways it controls anything digital that you touch.

Thanks to investing over the long term, being diversified, and more than my fair share of luck, my annual investment return is about 3X my annual salary, and I’m still reinvesting. I think retirement is about a year away, +/- the stock market.

At a couple points along the way I was a real electronic engineer, and started out as a real cowboy on my family’s ranch. I never learned to rope, but can tell some interesting stories.

Thanks for all the responses so far. Keep them coming.

737 driver, realestate investor, crack dealer and pimp.

Sometimes day-trader (when I need to lose money)

Commuter car is a Cessna 310.

I'm somewhat A.D.D. if you couldn't tell.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I lurk on forums for a while, then join and solicit info to assist my search for scam targets, high net worth individuals, folks with corporate/industry inside knowledge, or intelligence community members or retirees. Mostly it doesn't work, but every couple hundred contacts or so I get a hit; and no worries, most of the drudge work is automated, so not too much up front effort is required.

Well I suppose I'll just have to amputate it myself. Do you recommend and specific cauterizing techniques or will just any old MAP gas torch work?
Map gas is not hot enough. You need to use acetylene.
If you put enough power to a laser pointer, you should be able to slice it right off.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

I’m a embedded firmware engineer. That’s software that automatically loads into a computer’s memory on start up. In many ways it controls anything digital that you touch.

Thanks to investing over the long term, being diversified, and more than my fair share of luck, my annual investment return is about 3X my annual salary, and I’m still reinvesting. I think retirement is about a year away, +/- the stock market.

At a couple points along the way I was a real electronic engineer, and started out as a real cowboy on my family’s ranch. I never learned to rope, but can tell some interesting stories.
Besides flying I have a company that designs and builds embedded controllers also, here is my biggest design. https://www.airscience.com/lib/sitefiles/pdf/SalesLit/Safefume-Fuming-Chamber.pdf

Back