What do you consider “scud running”?

What do you consider “scud running”? Flying under…

• 2500’ ceilings

Votes: 6 6.5%
  • 2000’ ceilings

Votes: 11 12.0%
  • 1500’ ceilings

Votes: 30 32.6%
  • 1000’ ceilings

Votes: 29 31.5%
  • 700’ ceilings

Votes: 9 9.8%
  • I fly pipe, bruh! 1sm COC!

Votes: 3 3.3%
  • What did you call me?

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • I fly Alaska, so N/A

Votes: 3 3.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Once when trying to get in to Kotzebue I accidentally buzzed a 4 wheeler. Those guys bailed off into the mud and probably cursed me in a couple different languages.

Another time I called FSS to get a SVFR into Kotz. I got the "Kotzebue weather is 1/2 mile visibility state intentions''. Well, since I was in a 207 I told them I would hold over the mouth of the Noatak (river) and wait it out. After 20 minutes of holding I told the FSS guys I was going to Selawik and wait for the vis to go up.

The FSS guys told me to hold on, the weather observer is taking an observation. A minute later I got, ''Kotzebue weather is now 1 mile, state intentions.'' The magic mile. So I asked for and received SVFR and started in. One minute later the director of operations for the company called in and asked for a special. He got ''Kotzebue weather is 1/2 mile visibility state intentions.'' He was in a twin so he just went to center and got a pop up clearance and approach. Yeah, he let me hear about that... ''But boss, we don't get paid if we don't fly...'' :yesnod:

Scud running was just normal in bush Alaska. Some folks could hack it, some could not. And yes, I flew mountain passes with a ''mile'' visibility.

When I went to New Mexico I had to adjust to flying in clear and a million weather... :lol:

When vis is bad we have to fly low in order to see the ground. 300-400' wears on you when vis is one mile and you're slowed for the eventuality that you'll enter a cloud and need to turn around. Especially in snow. That makes the visual strain even worse. I used to have a Spidertracks unit in my plane. My daughter would scold me for scud running. She could tell that I was changing course often, looking for better vis.

Ugh. That music drove me nuts. I gave up on the video and just read the description.
I don't know why YouTubers have such rotten taste in music. I just turn off the sound when it's like that.

...Scud running was just normal in bush Alaska. Some folks could hack it, some could not. And yes, I flew mountain passes with a ''mile'' visibility.

When I went to New Mexico I had to adjust to flying in clear and a million weather... :lol:
I read a book by an Alaska bush pilot, and it scared the crap out of me!

I don't know why YouTubers have such rotten taste in music. I just turn off the sound when it's like that.
In this particular case, I felt the description had richer information and the video was merely supplementary. That the music was so rotten reinforced that notion.

Most of my scud-running was done just offshore along the Pacific coast. My minimum was 500 MSL unless I could see past the scud to better conditions on the other side. My favorite part was the Oregon coast, due to the frequency of airports near the shore.

Back