What do you charge for a BFR?

They were fools and messed up things for others. I just paid $200 for mine.

Dang! You coulda saved some bucks. I was out at SZP for years.

I'm $54 an hour through my company. If I had the option to do it outside my company, probably $25-30 as long as I had another job. If we were friends, I doubt I'd ever charge anything. ....either way, my two cents is always free! :D

Dang! You coulda saved some bucks. I was out at SZP for years.
I had a CFI that owns a Pitts that does airshows that has his plane mainained by Ray in SZP do my BFR, I am sure you can figure out who he is. For the things he added to the BFR I will say 200 was a bargain.

1/2 of a check ride fee ($400.00 in these parts) so $200.00 for the FR my plane

I don't even give BFRs any more. Everyone ******* and moans because they don't want to go .1 over the minimum times. I only charged $15 an hour for flight and buy me lunch for the ground portion. This was in Southern California too!

Not everyone.

When doing a BFR or FR with a CFI for the first time, I've always told the CFI ahead of time that it'll take the time it takes. If it take two flights, then it takes two flight. Time spent in the air receiving dual is still flying.

When doing a BFR or FR with a CFI for the first time, I've always told the CFI ahead of time that it'll take the time it takes. If it take two flights, then it takes two flight. Time spent in the air receiving dual is still flying.
Would that all pilots had Bob's attitude.

You mean that's what you would do if you were in an instructor? :rolleyes:
I know I haven't. In fact there is one person where we've spent about 5 hours in additional to the original flight review flight and they're still not signed off yet.

I know I haven't. In fact there is one person where we've spent about 5 hours in additional to the original flight review flight and they're still not signed off yet.
Yup. Not everyone is going to meet standards with no more than 1 hour of ground and 1 hour of flight. Yes, pilots who work at maintaining their knowledge and proficiency may well do that in a simple plane they fly often, but it's just the regulatory absolute minimum, not something that anyone should view as either a goal or an expectation. Remember -- it's a review, not just a test.

Just curious Jesse, what were some of the reasons you didn't sign him off?
It is a she.

Just very rusty - inability to really speak on the radio effectively - lack of knowledge regarding airspace - poor airplane handling skills - lack of knowledge regarding systems. Etc.

I've also elected not to sign someone off for an IPC until we did some more training - just couldn't fly safely without his autopilot.

Last edited:
Back