What do you charge for a BFR?

BellyUpFish

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Backtothesand
I know, I know, the B has been dropped..

What are you CFI's charging?

I charge $25/hr. So however many hours it takes times that. Typically a pilot that is current and proficient will pay me $65-$75. If I am doing it for a friend or someone on PoA I typically charge nothing.

There are some other people, on the other hand, that will take more time which will then cost them more money.

I've never understood charging a flat fee for a flight review.

Me too, it's 25.00/hr for ground and then whatever the time is in the plane. And I always warn not so current pilots that it might take more than one flight to get back up to speed

I charge $50/hr for my time, so however many hours it takes.

Most of the time, we'll roll a flight review in with another flight, and that makes it easy.

Then, there is this dude:

photo.gif

(Ad on FlightAware)

I charge my standard rate -- $60/hr or $400/day (plus expenses for out-of-town work). No telling in advance how many hours will be required, but most folks who are already proficient and up-to-date on things complete in less than half a day. OTOH, someone who's been out of the game for a couple of decades might need 4-5 days or more.

I know many instructors out there charge much less, but I don't see how they can do it. $25/hr wouldn't even cover my overhead.

I just got an email that my CFI's rate (outside of the school) is $75 per hour.

In the school it is:

$49 per hour for private pilot training
$59 per hour for same if you are not a club member
$55 per hour for instrument training
$65 per hour (I think) if you are not a club member, instrument

So confusing.

Gee, I've not paid for a flight review in over a decade.

I paid $200 last month. My CFI charged me his regular rate for club members ($50/hr) times 4 hours.

Gee, I've not paid for a flight review in over a decade.
Either someone other than you pays, you don't fly as PIC, you fly without a cert, you fly ultralights, you've gotten a new rating within 24 month period, or you are talking of the WINGS program.

So how much dual instruction do you receive within any 24 month period?

The last flight review I paid for I was charged $25/hr. That was in 2004 and doubled as a club plane checkout.

Last edited:
Looks like a perfect sting operation opportunity for some inspector. Hire ol' Shawn and see if he just flies around and then offers a P51 signature.....

Seems shady to me

sounds like that $100 annual.... Whats the catch? Whats he get out of it?

Don't know, but at least he probably gets a good rate on his ad at FlightAware. That's because he's the Chief Operating Officer there:
http://flightaware.com/about/executives/

His job at FlightAware includes this, according to LinkedIn: "My role is handling the revenue and strategy - business development and sales and marketing."

Last edited:
I paid something like $500 all-in including course, instructor's time, and aircraft. Maybe closer to $600.

But it was a Mountain Flying course and the BFR requirements are met by it and thrown in "for free" by the Instructors involved.

Yes, engine-outs are in the curriculum at wicked high DA somewhere between Leadville and Buena Vista. Oops, I let the secret out. ;)

I hear it's *really* entertaining for the twin drivers. Heh. "Oh look. I can extend this downward flight path to Buena Vista on one engine... maybe."

In the school it is:

So confusing.

$75/hr? HOW is that justified?

I'm kind of surprised to see rates above 50...

In the school it is:

So confusing.
Wow!!! I'm not paying someone $50/hr unless they are very experienced. Maybe all of their CFIs are? ;)

This debate reminds me of equitation trainers. Since there is no certification, anyone can become a trainer. There's some certification in the CFI, but there aren't certifications for experience levels. That's the only way I can explain some minimally experienced CFIs having the nerve to charge more than $20-30/hr. But I guess people are willing to pay.

My last CFI charged an appropriate $25/hr and the FR took an appropriate 1 1/2 hrs including ground.

Thanks guys.

The guy looking for one has his own plane. I'll just give my hourly rate and go from there.. I haven't given a BFR in a year or so. I thought I charged the last guy $250, but that seems a bit off base. LOL..

I look at it this way...

$25/Hr for a professional who's spent years learning his trade (and learning how to teach is not just knowing how to fly) and works without benefits and the other creature comforts of a corporate job... that's ridiculously cheap.

You'll pay more per hour for an accountant and they're not teaching you life or death skills.

You'll definitely pay more for an attorney if the need ever arises to just keep your butt out of jail or the poorhouse.

$25/Hr when something that CFI said saved my life? Priceless.

$75/hr? HOW is that justified?

I'm kind of surprised to see rates above 50...

In the last couple of years, I have payed anywhere between $55 and $68 for instruction, but none of that has been primary instruction, it has all been instrument or multi. I assume it is cheaper if you are working with an individual instructor instead of someone working through a flight school that has additional overhead.

Ryan

$60/hour for flight reviews
$70/hours for IPCs

handshake to signoff

Our neck of the woods, flight school CFIs go for $55+ per hour.

Now that I'm free-lancing, I'd charge my "Normal" rate of $40/hour for flight or ground instruction.

I could charge a lower hourly rate if I did it attorney-style, where I'd charge you for the time before and after your visit for prep work and record keeping. That's NOT a dig on lawyers, by the way, I agree with that method of billing so long as it's not abused (as it is sometimes). But for now, the $40 has to cover the costs of the whole task and the overhead (insurance and such).

Someone can do WINGS and only pay me for the flight evaluation time to complete the tasks, which will save them the cost of 1 hour of ground. If a pilot is up to standards we can complete the flight tasks of a WINGS phase in just over an hour.

$25/hr. I'm not doing it to make money.

$35 per clock hour till its done. If its a friend or broke College kid than maybe nothing or a modest flat fee....or some beers at Luckys works

Last edited:
For people I have a relationship with (such as the folks I've met here), it would be "buy me lunch".

If anybody needs a FR when they get to Windwood, it'll be "hand me a beer". AFTER the FR.

I feel comfortable charging $40/hr for BFRs or IPCs. If it is for a friend or POA member I normally just do the review/PC in exchange for lunch.

We can usually get through the ground material in just under 2 hours if the pilot is up to speed on everything and the flight will usually be around 1.5 hrs or so.

For people I have a relationship with (such as the folks I've met here), it would be "buy me lunch".

If anybody needs a FR when they get to Windwood, it'll be "hand me a beer". AFTER the FR.

Why? If they flew to Windwood, they are obviously current, and would be acting as PIC. You could drink as you wouldn't be acting as PIC :D

My CFII charged $40/hr for instruction. Why would an FR be any less? I always learn something during those, as well. Plus, we have to do them annually for the club. Killed that bird this year by passing my IR ride. And that is a lot more expensive than a few hours of CFII time. :D

Heck plumbers get paid 65/hr but folks really need the plumber and they are choosing to learn to fly.

Heck, I might just to a Wings phase there!

Wow!!! I'm not paying someone $50/hr unless they are very experienced. Maybe all of their CFIs are? ;)
Try to make a living as a CFI charging $25/hr and you would suddenly decide you're worth more then that *VERY* quickly. Honestly I'm not sure how the instructors around here do it. I base my rate roughly on their rates as to not undercut them but I do not depend on it to live.

sba55 said:
My last CFI charged an appropriate $25/hr and the FR took an appropriate 1 1/2 hrs including ground.
If your last flight review took 1.5 hours including ground you need to get a new flight review because that one wasn't valid.

Back