What do you charge for a BFR?

in the glider club, no charge.
friends typically no charge or food/drink
Jesse i'm usually so happy to be alive i don't care about money
everyone else $30/hr or whatever they think is fair

For people I have a relationship with (such as the folks I've met here), it would be "buy me lunch".

If anybody needs a FR when they get to Windwood, it'll be "hand me a beer". AFTER the FR.

Sounds like I need to go to Windwood. Oh and get a plane to do a FR in. But that is not for another two years.

Neat trick, since a minimum of two hours is required by regulation.

Alot of guys will try to "abridge" the ground portion during the flight...totally lame.

Alot of guys will try to "abridge" the ground portion during the flight...totally lame.
Agree.

I'm no expert, having done only 4 FRs, but in all four cases, the pilot could fly the airplane just fine. They were not so sharp on weather, special use airspace, calculating performance, or other "knowledge" items, though it came back quickly.

Neat trick, since a minimum of two hours is required by regulation.

Not necessarily, Mine was well under two hours. Well maybe not if you include the lunch. There is an exception.

Brian
CFIIG/ASEL

in the glider club, no charge.
friends typically no charge or food/drink
Jesse i'm usually so happy to be alive i don't care about money
everyone else $30/hr or whatever they think is fair

What does Jesse do to make you fear death?

Not necessarily, Mine was well under two hours. Well maybe not if you include the lunch. There is an exception.
Brian
CFIIG/ASEL

Now you have my attention. What exception to the regulations is that?

Brian
CFIIG/ASEL

Now you have my attention. What exception to the regulations is that?

If you are a (current) CFI you don't need the hour of ground. Pretty sure Felix isn't a CFI.

If you are a (current) CFI you don't need the hour of ground. Pretty sure Felix isn't a CFI.

Correct we just get to do the 16 hours of ground training separately.
Although there are some other ways of complying.

[(f) A person who holds a flight instructor certificate and who has, within the period specified in paragraph (c) of this section, satisfactorily completed a renewal of a flight instructor certificate under the provisions in Sec. 61.197 need not accomplish the one hour of ground training specified in paragraph (a) of this section.]

Brian
CFIIG/ASEL

Why charge at all? :dunno:
Because I think it's lame to do something for free simply because I can afford to do it for free - when there are others working hard that need money from instructing. At the end of the day I have a substantial amount of money invested in my ability to ink someone's logbook and I'm not going to give that away to the general public.

brian my guess was you did an hour of ground and three winch launches

Either someone other than you pays, you don't fly as PIC, you fly without a cert, you fly ultralights, you've gotten a new rating within 24 month period, or you are talking of the WINGS program.

So how much dual instruction do you receive within any 24 month period?

The last flight review I paid for I was charged $25/hr. That was in 2004 and doubled as a club plane checkout.

There was one new rating, the other times my CFI buddy has done it gratis in exchange for getting some single engine time logged.

It never ceases to amaze me that some people will complain about how much their CFI charges but then pay $75.00 an hour for a golf lesson.

To answer the question, $45.00 an hour and don't expect the two hour minimum per the FAR's.

It never ceases to amaze me that some people will complain about how much their CFI charges but then pay $75.00 an hour for a golf lesson.

To answer the question, $45.00 an hour and don't expect the two hour minimum per the FAR's.

I did not mean to complain. $50+ is normal for the area. The place I went to pre-solo charged $65 per hour and the CFI that I met to review my Bay Tour charged $55 per hour. My instructor only charging $49 per hour during my training was a steal.

Maybe I was trying to come up with an excuse to travel to see POA pilots. They are more fun to fly with than my instructor any day. Each POA member plane I've been - three in total - was awesome and adventures were had.

If you read the FAR's you'll see that ground training and flight training are mutually exclusive.

(6) Flight training means that training, other than ground training, received from an authorized instructor in flight in an aircraft.

(8) Ground training means that training, other than flight training, received from an authorized instructor.
You can't do both at the same time.

OK, so you did it in a glider, right? Or you skipped the ground portion because you renewed your CFI within the last two years? :sigh:

Last edited:
brian my guess was you did an hour of ground and three winch launches

Ohh, I hadn't thought about that, I would guess I could complete my flight review with under 15 minutes of flight time and zero "official" ground instruction doing that way. Pretty hard not to get some ground instruction even if it isn't officially called that when doing glider launches.

Brian
CFIIG/ASEL

Unless you didn't require the ground portion (e.g., you are a CFI who did a FIRC), or you conducted ground training over lunch (and logged the time, in which case it really wasn't under two hours), I am unaware of any such "exception." Can you point me to it?

The exception is I am a CFI and completed a FIRC. (Which really is about 16 hours of ground), and as Tony pointed out I can also do it in a glider with 3 flights.

Brian
CFIIG/ASEL

The exception is I am a CFI and completed a FIRC. (Which really is about 16 hours of ground), and as Tony pointed out I can also do it in a glider with 3 flights.
Yeah, I finally figured that out. Very clever. But that doesn't address the issues discussed regarding non-CFI's who did it in airplanes.

Yeah, I finally figured that out. Very clever. But that doesn't address the issues discussed regarding non-CFI's who did it in airplanes.

Correct, those are the only two exceptions I am aware of.

If it isn't a glider then it needs to be an hour of flight time.

If your not a CFI it needs to be an hour of ground instruction.

Brian
CFIIG/ASEL

If your not a CFI it needs to be an hour of ground instruction.
I think there are some on-line courses which the FAA has approved to sub for the ground training, but if you do need the ground training, it must be at least one hour by the clock and logged accordingly.

Kimberly I wasn't singling anyone here out as complaining. I just have seen too many times people who what to skimp on their flight training. I am not against people being smart with their money, but to pick a CFI based on price alone seems silly.

Kimberly I wasn't singling anyone here out as complaining. I just have seen too many times people who what to skimp on their flight training. I am not against people being smart with their money, but to pick a CFI based on price alone seems silly.

I agree with you. And out here there is a website for an Oakland International Airport Flight School, advertising young CFI's that cost only $35 per hour - at the same school, the older "gold seal" CFI's (each has a photo and a bio on the website) - charge $50 or more.

Aaaaand the ground has to cover what it's supposed to cover. I got asked a while back to fly in a really cool plane and "forget" about the ground portion. I really wanted (and still do) to fly in that plane, but that's too much to ask.
I charge my normal published rates depending on if the FR is done in the rental planes I work with, or a private aircraft.

Ryan

Ida let the guy with the cool plane, what was it BTW, take me to lunch and we would have done ground over a Rueben sandwich and sone sweet tea.

Agree.

I'm no expert, having done only 4 FRs, but in all four cases, the pilot could fly the airplane just fine. They were not so sharp on weather, special use airspace, calculating performance, or other "knowledge" items, though it came back quickly.
Which is probably why my CFII's FRs are long grueling orals followed by a quick hour or so in the plane. He said I did well on the ground part, but it was still nearly 3 hours.

I look at it this way...

$25/Hr for a professional who's spent years learning his trade (and learning how to teach is not just knowing how to fly) and works without benefits and the other creature comforts of a corporate job... that's ridiculously cheap.

You'll pay more per hour for an accountant and they're not teaching you life or death skills.

You'll definitely pay more for an attorney if the need ever arises to just keep your butt out of jail or the poorhouse.

$25/Hr when something that CFI said saved my life? Priceless.

I agree. For a job that cost so much to get, one is selling themselves short by only charging $25/hr. Same applies to CFIs who have day jobs and instruct on the side. Then again, some CFIs that wear stripes probably aren't even worth $25 judging by some of the attitudes towards teaching I've seen at those schools.

I don't even give BFRs any more. Everyone ******* and moans because they don't want to go .1 over the minimum times. I only charged $15 an hour for flight and buy me lunch for the ground portion. This was in Southern California too!

I don't even give BFRs any more. Everyone ******* and moans because they don't want to go .1 over the minimum times. I only charged $15 an hour for flight and buy me lunch for the ground portion. This was in Southern California too!
They were fools and messed up things for others. I just paid $200 for mine.

I charge $25/hr. So however many hours it takes times that. Typically a pilot that is current and proficient will pay me $65-$75. If I am doing it for a friend or someone on PoA I typically charge nothing.

There are some other people, on the other hand, that will take more time which will then cost them more money.

I've never understood charging a flat fee for a flight review.

Because you're gonna sign em off in 2 hrs no matter what... I was getting a BFR one time and I got it with someone who wasn't real clear on a few things (he brought up props, not me...) so I explained to him and we went to fly. When I paid for the plane I tried to pay him but he wouldn't take it.

Last edited:
Back