What do we think of the GNX 375?

Discussion in 'Avionics and Upgrades' started by alfadog, Oct 12, 2019 at 6:10 PM.

1. alfadog

alfadog En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    alfadog
    So I just bought a basic airplane. An American Yankee AA-1. I'm going to need ADSB out and I don't think the Sky Beacon is an option. Maybe the Tailbeacon will be but I can go with a Garmin transponder ADSB out for $3K. ADSB in and out for $5K. If I was just going with the transponder I wouldn't spend the extra $2K. But right now the airplane has no nav option at all, just a single com radio, so I was thinking of springing for the Garmin GNX 375 combination transponder with ADSB in / out along with a WAAS approach-approved GPS. That's $8K plus installation and I can probably work something out which one of the avionics guys on the field so the installation doesn't set me back too much.

Obviously, this is an expensive add to a cheap airplane but I can always take it with me when I sell and if I sell. Meanwhile I'll have some functionality that I would like to have as a backup. What do you all think?

2. av8en1

av8en1 Filing Flight Plan

Display Name:

Display name:
    John Cotter
    You can install a Tailbeacon on Yankee, provided you have a working transponder. The down side is that transponder may be 45 years old. For a little more money you could replace the antique transponder with new digital Stratus ESG.

The GNX 375 question is a whole nother question ; )

3. alfadog

alfadog En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    alfadog
    Another option for close to the same money would be an new transponder and a used 430/430W. That gives me more functionality in the second radio and the nav radio so probably the better option.

James331 likes this.
  4. asicer

asicer En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    asicer
    That would be more expensive, though. $5k for the transponder + $6k for the 430w. So the math works out to be $3k more for the extra NAV/COM functionality over the 375, plus more stack space, and slightly reduced ADS-B In capability.

flyingcheesehead likes this.
  5. unsafervguy

unsafervguy Pattern Altitude

Display Name:

Display name:
    bob
    As I've said a million times, a used 430/530 is a bad decision for a new install. It has been out of production for 8 years. It will be an orphan soon, the screen supply is almost gone. If you want the big screen spring for a new production unit, either garmin or Avidyne. I would go with a 375 and an iPad.

flyingcheesehead likes this.
  6. Walboy

Walboy Cleared for Takeoff

Display Name:

Display name:
    Walboy
    I just finished a long cross country with someone who installed a 375 in his airplane. It is a fantastic piece of equipment. It's hard to imagine flying cross country without FIS-B or ADS-B in.

I found that the need for a tablet was pretty minimal. Unless you need access to approach plates or airport diagrams, I don't think you'll look at a tablet much. I also don't think the smaller screen size is much of an issue either and I do most of my flying with a GTN 750.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy one if it fit my needs.

7. Rgbeard

Rgbeard Cleared for Takeoff

Display Name:

Display name:
    rgbeard
    Ask me in a couple of weeks.

My birdie is getting one as I type this.

8. asicer

asicer En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    asicer
    How many hours did you get quoted for the install? What other supporting pieces did you need to buy for the 375? (e.g. GAE12? GTP59?)

9. Rgbeard

Rgbeard Cleared for Takeoff

Display Name:

Display name:
    rgbeard
    My installation isn't limited to the GNX-375, so I'm sorry, but I can't answer your question directly.

I don't see either of those pieces you mention on my quote.

10. NordicDave

NordicDave Line Up and Wait

Display Name:

Display name:
    NordicDave
    A close friend of mine just put a 375 in his Yankee. Beautiful solution if the existing radios are good and need WAAS GPS and ADS-B transponder. Looks great and works great. Nice in a Grumman with limited panel space.

For many the most expensive labor cost is touching anything touching the audio panel. It’s connected to everything. A big reason why the GNX-375 is so successful.

11. Sinistar

Sinistar Pattern Altitude

Display Name:

Display name:
    Brad
    The GNX-375 should be connected to the audio panel.

12. NordicDave

NordicDave Line Up and Wait

Display Name:

Display name:
    NordicDave
    Good to point of clarity. Agree it should be connected to the audio panel. We’re talking about a couple of wires, where new audio panel or radios is more invasive.

13. James331

James331 Touchdown! Greaser!

Display Name:

Display name:
    James331
    But it would make your plane a /G, which unlike just adding ADSB adds real function to the plane.

Or maybe find a 330ES and 430w used.

14. flyingcheesehead

flyingcheesehead Touchdown! Greaser!

Display Name:

Display name:
    iMooniac
    What are you going to use the plane for?

If all you're going to do is poke holes in the sky VFR, an iPad, portable ADS-B In device (Stratus, Sentry, Scout, GDL 39/50/52), and a cheap ADS-B solution (Skybeacon, Tailbeacon, or GDL 82) is plenty for navigation and ADS-B.

However, if you're going to do any IFR at all, the 375 is a pretty compelling solution. It gives you ADS-B In and out plus connection to portables plus WAAS GPS for a LOT less than that would have cost just a year or two ago.

Not at all, unless you're not planning on having this plane for long, in which case you probably shouldn't be doing either.

The install itself is likely to run you $5,000 regardless of which GPS you put in, so why waste your money installing something that's outdated and will soon be orphaned?

The GNS series is a fine unit if you already have it - Not worth ripping it out and replacing it, yet. But it's certainly past the age where it's a worthwhile new install. The 375 is a better choice and will cost you less too.

15. James331

James331 Touchdown! Greaser!

Display Name:

Display name:
    James331

Not sure how a 430W is outdated, can a 375 shoot a LPV approach lower than a 430W?

Also the format of the 430 looks to be better than a small cramped touchscreen.

That said, the 375 isn’t shabby, I wouldn’t mind it if it could cross fill to a 530 or something and if it was 5k, 8k seems a little steep for what you get, especially when you compare to dynon sky view prices and the like.

I’d say if you can wait till like 2021/22 before any major avionics buys.

16. asicer

asicer En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    asicer
    Wrong. A 375 includes ADSB In, Out and /G WAAS (i.e. LPV approaches).

17. unsafervguy

unsafervguy Pattern Altitude

Display Name:

Display name:
    bob
    It’s outdated in that it has not been in production for 8 years. It’s reaching eol status. If you have one, great keep it it’s a great unit, but It makes no sense for a new install.

Groundpounder likes this.