what do u need to be a pilot

You may want to look at airports near colleges you want to go to. The further away you get from the city, chances are the cheaper flight instruction you can find. You don't need anything better than a 150 to learn how to fly, including instruments.

Depending on your money situation, the SUNYs may be good options for you. I went to Brooklyn Tech, and I know I wish I'd looked at the SUNYs a bit harder (or at all). The various ones in the upstate New York areas would all be likely to have some nearby airports where you can learn. I know that there's an airport near Buffalo that advertises flying lessons (I was just there today), and I seem to recall the same for Binghampton (was there a few months ago). Regardless, when you get your schools you're interested in figured out, let us know and we can help you try to get established on learning.

Hi DRzKing,

Welcome to the forums. As a fellow 17 year old, I thought that I would jump in...

It's just an issue of respect. You come to ask advice from people who have spent a good deal of money, time and effort gaining the knowledge that you are seeking, yet you didn't even feel it worth the effort to write correctly. It puts forth the image that you don't really value the effort that people put forth.

These forums are a wealth of information. Among the many talented people that replied to your inquiry, I bet you didn't know that an airline pilot, flight instructor, and an airplane mechanic were among them. Every member of these forums has TONS of different experiences that they are more than happy to share with people like you and I---you really can learn A LOT from them...

Well, now is certainly the time to be planning your strategy

I am fortunate enough to have a high school that has a good focus on aviation programs. Just something I thought I would point out, but being an airline pilot is not the only career in aviation. I have seen many fellow students of mine initially get involved in aviation, because they wanted to be an airline pilot. However, as they learned more about flying, a good number of them (myself included) have been drawn to other careers in aviation besides being an airline pilot. Just something to keep in the back of your head.... :)

Please realize that you are talking to people that like to do things "the right way" and that you wish to work in this community. Any doubt on this, look at the threads in Cloud Busters. Also look for conversations about regulations- these debates may seem Talmudic but people here want to be safe and intepret the rules properly.

Bottom line- spelling, punctuation, and proper use of capitalization count. It isn't that we're all old people here either- You can't tell the "young 'uns" on the board from their posts. People here become a bit cheesed if they see the misspellings.

No one is out for you- you are getting responses to your questions before the gentle comments. Got to the other aviation boards and you will get similar reponses to lazy writing.

Something I've learned over my very short time in aviation, skipping the little things can kill you. Not taking 5 minutes to make a phone call to check the weather, or 10 minutes to check over the airplane that the previous pilot said flew perfectly, can come back to harm you. Yes there is message boards like Myspace, etc., but aviation is different, the latter would have gotten me last night....

Good luck in your training, and I am looking forward to your posts:cheerswine:

Brent

Last edited:
Something I've learned over my very short time in aviation, skipping the little things can kill you. Not taking 5 minutes to make a phone call to check the weather, or 10 minutes to check over the airplane that the previous pilot said flew perfectly, can come back to harm you. Yes there is message boards like Myspace, etc., but aviation is different, the latter would have gotten me last night....

Sounds like there's a story there?!? :yes:

Very sage advice, too, by the way!

Sounds like there's a story there?!? :yes:

Very sage advice, too, by the way!

:)

I don't know. The mechanic is still looking into it, I haven't heard from him. I was planning on starting some of my 10 solo night towered landings. On my preflight, I found a bunch of grease caked under the air intake to the engine. Looking down there, fuel was leaking from two different spots, at a "steady drip." Another pilot walked by, so I asked him. Neither of us could get it to stop. We tried pushing the sump all the way down, but it was still dripping at the same pace. So I put the fuel selector to off, made a squawk, and headed home:confused:

Brent

I don't know. The mechanic is still looking into it, I haven't heard from him. I was planning on starting some of my 10 solo night towered landings. On my preflight, I found a bunch of grease caked under the air intake to the engine. Looking down there, fuel was leaking from two different spots, at a "steady drip." Another pilot walked by, so I asked him. Neither of us could get it to stop. We tried pushing the sump all the way down, but it was still dripping at the same pace. So I put the fuel selector to off, made a squawk, and headed home:confused:

Brent

WOW, good catch! It'll be interesting to hear what mx has to say about that one. Too bad about the missed flight, but there will almost be another great night for it!

WOW, good catch! It'll be interesting to hear what mx has to say about that one. Too bad about the missed flight, but there will almost be another great night for it!

My thoughts exactly...

Yeah it will, with my luck it will be, "we weren't able to reproduce it on the ground...:rolleyes:"

AFAIK, there is no primary flight training happening in Manhattan, unless you count top-of-the-Met Life Building hover practice.

They do that? :hairraise:

So is Newark and Manhattan.

AFAIK, there is no primary flight training happening in Manhattan, unless you count top-of-the-Met Life Building hover practice.

There are several airports on Long Island though that even using public transport are within range for daily commuting.

There are several airports on Long Island though that even using public transport are within range for daily commuting.

Yep -- FRG and ISP are two, though you pay for that convenience spending LOTS of time waiting for takeoff and landing clearance (very busy patterns).

Yep -- FRG and ISP are two, though you pay for that convenience spending LOTS of time waiting for takeoff and landing clearance (very busy patterns).

I'll take your word for it, But Jgalak took me for a ride in his Cardinal out of FRG, and we got right out and right in with no delays.

Well I do want to make a living out of flying. Also, I want to go to a college out of the city. I'm not sure yet which college I'm going to, but my counselor will help me on that.

I've fixed it for you.

Daniel Webster in upstate New York is a possibility. You might be able to get home on the train from time to time. They specialize in aviation, and I've been very impressed.

For local flight training, I recommend Panorama at White Plains (take Metro North).

Welcome to the group. Good luck to you. Keep us abreast of your progress.

In answer to the question in your first post, you will find yourself flying as copilot many times before you become a captain of an airliner. Once you get a job flying, other than as an instructor, it will probably be something exciting like flying freight or checks at night as the copilot of an old twin-engine freighter. Your job will be to fly the plane and learn everything you can. Eventually, you will work your way up to captain of the POS, where your job will be to teach the copilot. And then you graduate to better and better aircraft, first as copilot, then as captain in each case.

I've fixed it for you.

Daniel Webster in upstate New York is a possibility. You might be able to get home on the train from time to time. They specialize in aviation, and I've been very impressed.

For local flight training, I recommend Panorama at White Plains (take Metro North).

In answer to the question in your first post, you will find yourself flying as copilot many times before you become a captain of an airliner. Once you get a job flying, other than as an instructor, it will probably be something exciting like flying freight or checks at night as the copilot of an old twin-engine freighter. Your job will be to fly the plane and learn everything you can. Eventually, you will work your way up to captain of the POS, where your job will be to teach the copilot. And then you graduate to better and better aircraft, first as copilot, then as captain in each case.

Those jobs are typically single pilot jobs.

Brent

What are these for? PP requires 10 night take offs and landings, but they don't have to be solo. Heck, my CFI and I knocked out the whole 3 hours night, 100 mile night XC and 10 take-off and landings in one evening.

Good call on scrubbing the flight. That's first class judgement being shown. And I know how hard it can be to go to the airport with a flight in mind and return home with nothing in the log book to show for it.

What are these for? PP requires 10 night take offs and landings, but they don't have to be solo. Heck, my CFI and I knocked out the whole 3 hours night, 100 mile night XC and 10 take-off and landings in one evening.

Good call on scrubbing the flight. That's first class judgement being shown. And I know how hard it can be to go to the airport with a flight in mind and return home with nothing in the log book to show for it.

Fortunately/unfortunately that is not the first time I have done that either.

The landings are for a Commercial certificate...

Brent

Well thank you guys, I'm learning a lot here!! hehe.

I've fixed it for you.

I will consider your offer, hehe I'm going to look for information about that.

I have another question. How much time does it takes to become a captain??

I have another question. How much time does it takes to become a captain??

Depends on a lot of factors and there's no way to predict it.

I made Captain on a B727 when I was 33 and had been with the airline 6 years. We have other guys that didn't make Captain until almost 18 years with the airline. And we have some, because of their age and other factors such as slow economy, no growth, the age 65 rule, etc. that will never make Captain.

Wow that's a lot of time, hehe.
Well i hope i can get to be captain, and make it soon.

Rotor&Wing's post #61 is 100% right on. Upgrade time is dependent on many factors, very few of which an individual has control over. Economy, whether or not the airline is expanding, retirements, and on and on. You take your chances. Sometimes it works out sometimes not.

Define soon, and define what kind of captain.

Rotor&Wing's post #61 is 100% right on. Upgrade time is dependent on many factors, very few of which an individual has control over. Economy, whether or not the airline is expanding, retirements, and on and on. You take your chances. Sometimes it works out sometimes not.

Well by time i mean between one or three years.

And what types of captain exist??

I don't know what types of captain are there, hehe.

Well by time i mean between one or three years.

Unless you can get all your ratings and about 2000 hours in the next three years, your chances of getting hired by even a regional are slim to none. And even less than that for a major. I believe all of the major carriers, with the exception of Southwest, have pilots on furlough.

And what types of captain exist??

Charter pilots, especially those working for companies flying airplanes requiring more than one pilot.

Part 135 scheduled airline pilots.

Regional airline captains.

Major airline captains.

No way on God's green earth you will be a major airline captain in three years.

I don't know what types of captain are there, hehe.

Now you know a few.

Unless you can get all your ratings and about 2000 hours in the next three years, your chances of getting hired by even a regional are slim to none. And even less than that for a major. I believe all of the major carriers, with the exception of Southwest, have pilots on furlough.

Maybe it's difficult but i was just saying if i have to wait more i will but i don't want to be a copilot all my life!!! hehe.
I can wait even 5 or more years, because i know it will worth it.:D

Maybe it's difficult but i was just saying if i have to wait more i will but i don't want to be a copilot all my life!!! hehe.
Being the first officer isn't exactly a bad deal. You get to fly the airplane too.

Hey, don't knock being a copilot. The seniority rules are such that you may be able to get better routes, schedules, equipment, etc. as a copilot than you could as a pilot. You'd need to make the determination of what you'd want to bid on.

If you really are 17 you'll need to wait 6 years to be old enough.

But if work only as a copilot, then i would not get the money i would like to be payed.

I want both but i also want to get a good check.

I think that i would get payed something around 30K. This is what i have seen in the forums, but I'm not so sure.

I want both but i also want to get a good check.

I think that i would get payed something around 30K. This is what i have seen in the forums, but I'm not so sure.

How far do you think 30k goes? It's livable, sort of, but doesn't go that far. Keep in mind how much debt you're going to take on with college and flight training. It'll also be some time *after* college before you'll even get that much.

This will be fun-neee....:rofl:

One MILLION dollars!!!!

Ha ha ha hah!!! Ha ha ha hah!!! Ha ha ha hah!!!

austin_powers_mike_myers_as_dr_evil.jpg

Back