what do u need to be a pilot

DRzKing

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
DRzKing
do i need to be a copilot first?? i have read some things about it and i know that i dont need a major to be a pilot but i need to work for a company like fedex before i get to be a commercial pilot for an airline and i just wanted to know if that was true and give me some other information about what i need to become a pilot please THX!!

Where are you currently in life? Are you still in K-12 school, college, adult?

im 17 and im in 12 grade so i want to become a pilot but i wanna know what do i need

If you want a career as a pilot for a major airline or cargo operator (like FedEx), you should get a college degree, and get pilot certificates. You can do both in the same period.

The traditional (meaning it works well for the majority of folks) path is to get your:
  • private pilot certificate (allows you to fly single engine little planes in good weather)
  • your instrument rating (allows you to fly in clouds)
  • commercial certificate (allows you to be paid to be a pilot)
  • multi-engine rating (allows you to fly airplanes with more than one engine)
  • Flight instructor certificate (allows you to teach people to fly - this is generally the first "real" flying job for folks)
  • Instrument instructor (allows you to teach people to fly on instruments)
  • Multiengine instructor (allows you to teach people to fly multiengine airplanes)
You can do all of this in your "spare" time in college or during summers, and teaching lets you build your flight experience (airlines look for how many hours of flight experience you have). Then when you graduate, you can look for an entry level airline job, probably with a regional airline. From that point, seniority rules, and you can bid for bigger planes or bigger jobs (like captain) as you get experience.

==================================================
So, what sort of college education? There are schools that will let you major in "professional pilot" programs. Many people (myself included) recommend majoring in something "other" than aviation so that you'll have something to fall back on if the airline market is down, or you get laid off.

You need to be able to pass a medical exam, which also means you need to lay off any illegal drugs you may have experimented with, for at least a couple of years before the first exam, and you'll need to be clean from that point forward. Alcohol problems are another no-no.

Finally, the days of Airline captains making HUUUUUGE salaries are gone, at least in the USA. Airlines tend to cycle between boom and bust, and you can be at the top of the seniority list at one carrier, have it go bust, and have to start over. Or your airline could merge with another airline and you'd have the joy of being "integrated" into a new seniority list.

I hope this is helpful.

Well said Timothy. I would also suggest that you go to a local flight school and fly some first to see if you even like it.

You might also want to consider what you want out of life and what sort of lifestyle you want to live. From there you can decide if aviation will really be able to make you happy. You don't exactly get rich flying airplanes and you're flying because someone else wants you to--not because you want to.

If you end up putting all of this on loans pay extra attention to how much that actually costs. (Flying + Student loans). The number you're looking at when you get out of college is scary high if you can't pay some of it with cash.

so in other words i need the college degree to become a pilot?? and i do like airplane and i would like to fly them. I have wanted to fly one since i was a little kid hehe.

Last edited:
im 17 and im in 12 grade so i want to become a pilot but i wanna know what do i need

Money, lots of money. You do have an advantage during these economic times. More people are going to be willing to be a little more flexable on their fees for your training, I think.

John

so if for example i wanna work for lets say american airlines i need a college degree??

Just get a good paying job that has security and fly for fun. You will spend a lot of money to earn poverty wages.

so if for example i wanna work for lets say american airlines i need a college degree??

Most likely, yes.

It should be pointed out - being a pilot means you're the holder of a pilot certificate, not that you fly the big tin as a job.

But you have a couple of options to jump to big tin:

1) Do it all yourself
  • Earn your Private Pilot Certificate from a flight school
  • Earn your instrument rating from a flight school
  • Earn your commercial rating from a flight school
  • Earn your flight instructor rating from a flight school
  • Earn your multi from a flight school
  • ???
  • Profit
2) Go to a school that will take you from 0 to pilot seat (the following are not all, but some of these schools, and the degree they give, if any)
  • Mesa Pilot Development (Farmington, NM) - Associates Degree
  • Phoenix East Aviation (Daytona Beach, FL) - Associates Degree or Bachelors
  • Delta Connection Academy (Sanford, FL) - No specific degree, but one is offered
There are a bunch more, too. IMHO, do an intro flight at a local FBO, they're usually cheap...in fact.. http://www.beapilot.com has a coupon available for a discounted discovery flight. I couldn't find it, so they've moved it somewhere, but its a great site to start at.

When you get serious, join AOPA, and grab a mentor, who will help you through all the squirelly periods. And become a very active member here, you'll never find a better, freer source of information!

Oh yeah, I should point out, I suggest option 1, mainly because when I first started to fly, I knew 100% sure that I wanted to be an airline pilot, and nothing would change that. After I got my private certificate, I knew that I would never want to fly for work, since I loved doing it so much.

Good luck, man.

Last edited:
You might also consider the military. They are giving some awfully nice incentives to get you to join. You may not qualify for flight school, but your inlistment bonus should give you enough cash to get your license on your own. You can also get help with college from the military.

John

im going to try to go to a flight school so i think that it will be of a great help for me then

Where are you located?

i live in New York, Manhattan

I would think Bob Miller would be an excellent resource of who to contact in your area. His address is: rjma -at - rjma.com.

He also issues a great resource for the instrument pilot at: http://overtheairwaves.com/. His flight school is located in Buffalo.

As far as a college degree, it's not required but like many attributes in one preparing for a career, it will go a long way in helping you get noticed. Just make it one you can fall back on such as engineering. As described, the airline industry makes more moves than a yo-yo. A solid education would at least give you the foundation for obtaining a job either inside aviation or help you with the means to stay in aviation on a personal level. Also, don't limit yourself to seeking only the airlines. There are a LOT of opportunities in aviation. It's just a matter of preparing yourself. Ya might get lucky.

Luck: Opportunity met with preparation.

Either way, start saving. It's an expensive career start but the rewards for someone passionate about flying will come to them ten-fold in due time.

so in other words i need the college degree to become a pilot??
Yes, that is true if you want to fly for one of the majors or one of the major cargo carriers. Unfortunately for people with your desire to fly for a living, there are far more of you than there are top jobs. The airlines demand college educations and have no problem filling up their cockpits with college grads.

In the long run it is better for you, too. The airline industry (as others mentioned) is very cyclical and you do need something to fall back on if the cycles leave you on the ground for a while.

-Skip

Money, that's it, the more the better, but have about $7500 to start with. If you want a job flying, figure you're going to spend at least $30,000. You also need to learn to punctuate and use the shift key. Get out of your lazy mindset and learn to do everything properly. Being a pilot is about mindset, and a sloppy lazy, "I don't need to do that" mindset will put you and all those in a plane with you into your graves.

Thank you, Henning. I was going to comment on how English doesn't seem to be taught in secondary schools anymore, judging by what I see in job applications and correspondence.

Seriously, being "polished" is very important.

Yes, what degree is rather irrelevant, but you will need a 4 year degree to compete for the jobs. Military flying experience is a definite bonus.

yea buffalo is a little far from here hehe but wouldn't it help me if i go to a college and take aviation classes??

yea buffalo is a little far from here hehe but wouldn't it help me if i go to a college and take aviation classes??

No, not really, they don't care what you get a degree in, and personally, I would choose a non aviation degree, probably a business degree. They just want to know if you're smart enough to get through it, because they're going to put even more money into your training. So far you aren't demonstrating that though.

No, not really, they don't care what you get a degree in, and personally, I would choose a non aviation degree, probably a business degree. They just want to know if you're smart enough to get through it, because they're going to put even more money into your training. So far you aren't demonstrating that though.

I second that. I think he should go back to grade school and learn about spelling and punctuation. I feel for him if he tries to go to a community college. IF he gets in, it will be nothing but "prereq" classes for him for a very long time.

Buffalo and Manhattan are three worlds apart.
Yes but in reading him over the last couple years, he seems to have an excellent grasp of what's happening in that region in flight training. That was the basis for my suggestion.

lol guys i write like that here but i do know how to punctuate and things like that...

lol guys i write like that here but i do know how to punctuate and things like that...
Then you should demonstrate it. Flying involves a lot of doing the same thing the same way every time, and being precise and correct in everything you do. Getting into that habit now will stand you in good stead later.

Yet you do it again, it's Lazy, that's all it is, and it doesn't save you anything. You need to do things correctly every time, you need to train your brain that way so it becomes the default setting. There is never a time that it is correct to write in a public forum incorrectly to the degree you are displaying. A typo here and there, no worries. But when you do it continuously, it's the sign of a weak mind, and airlines don't want lazy minds, neither does any other employer or better school. You need to be in the habit of doing things right, or you will slip at an inopportune moment and it will cost you opportunity. Do you see anyone else here writing like that? You're 17 and about to join the real world. Unless you want to sleep under bridges, you best get your act together very quickly.

DRzKing - so you don't take it that we're all grammar nazis (I happen to be a self admitted one), I think its important that you start to write properly, if for no other reason than there are some here that may/will be your boss/peer/competition someday if you pursue this.

Impress 'em now!

Please realize that you are talking to people that like to do things "the right way" and that you wish to work in this community. Any doubt on this, look at the threads in Cloud Busters. Also look for conversations about regulations- these debates may seem Talmudic but people here want to be safe and intepret the rules properly.

Bottom line- spelling, punctuation, and proper use of capitalization count. It isn't that we're all old people here either- You can't tell the "young 'uns" on the board from their posts. People here become a bit cheesed if they see the misspellings.

No one is out for you- you are getting responses to your questions before the gentle comments. Got to the other aviation boards and you will get similar reponses to lazy writing.

Okay then I'm going to start writing how i should hehe.

And they're not really looking for "smart", because you don't have to be "smart" to get a college degree. Plenty of "smart" people without them, and plenty of not so "smart" people with them.

What the airlines are looking for is that you can be pursue a goal in a structured and organized fashion, and that you have the self-discipline to complete it. For young folk competing in the job marketplace, a college degree is a way to show that drive and discipline. You can become an airline pilot without a degree, but you'll always be handicapped without it, and you'll have to compensate somehow. That compensation will probably require more effort than getting the degree in the first place would.

I believe there are some schools (UND, maybe?) that will combine flight training with a GOOD education, in something like engineering or business. I hope Tony Condon will weigh in here as he's someone you could choose to emulate. If money is not a huge concern, I suggest you:
  • Take an intro flight at your local flight school. Caldwell County airport comes to mind, and there are other places not too far outside NYC that will offer training. Find out if you really like flying an airplane.
  • Work on getting into a good college, preferably one where you will live on campus (start showing that maturity and self-discipline).
  • Save money and get your private certificate during your summer break before your Freshman year (maybe go do it with Bob in Buffalo - he's a believer in realistic flight training and would probably work well with a desire to get the certificate done in a concentrated course). If you apply yourself and have the money up front, you can get it done in a month, easily - I've seen people do it in 8-10 days. Spend the rest of the summer working a job (maybe at the airport!) and thanking your parents profusely for their support.
  • Freshman year -don't sweat a major, go and meet people, get a feel for school, and really think about what you'd like to study.
  • Freshman summer vacation, complete the instrument rating, and definitely try for a job in aviation - fueling, working a desk, or throwing bags on a ramp for an airline. The purpose is to start making contacts in the industry and learning more about the various things you can do in aviation
  • Sophmore year, decide on a major (strongly suggest something other than aviation). Fly during your breaks. Build up some cross country experience and judgment.
  • Sophmore summer - complete the commercial and multiengine ratings. Work in aviation job again.
  • Junior year, take a course in education - intro to learning or something similar - it will be really helpful. Go up with a flight instructor and learn to fly from the right seat in the airplane
  • Junior summer. Get your flight instructor certificate, and work as an instructor. As time permits get your instrument instructor and multiengine instructor (this may take time in your senior year too).
  • Senior year - push for graduation. Teach flying part time, and work on contacts. Multiengine time counts most for getting hired, so take every opportunity to fly twins. Keep your instrument skills sharp too.
  • Graduation - congratulations! At this point you may choose to do something other than fly for a living, in which case you can still teach and fly in your free time as your "real" job allows. Or you may want to pursue a flying career. If the airlines are booming, you should be able to find work with a regional - at most you might have to go get some more multiengine time to qualify. If the airlines are in slack times, then you might have to work as a flight instructor to keep Ramen noodles on the table (I'm not kidding - you'll make more money as a taxi driver or a doorman than you will as a low-time flight instructor or even as a first officer).
  • Be PERSISTENT and FLEXIBLE.
Best wishes,

Nahh. If you want to work for the legacy/major airlines or a big fractional or charter company then you will need A degree of some sort, but get your degree in something other than aviation. If you just want to fly for the regionals, there is no requirement for a degree though it will certainly make your resume stand out a bit from the rest. My degree is in journalism. I don't really use it when shooting an ILS, but it gave me something to talk about in my interview and if, God forbid, I should get furloughed, fired, or lose my medical, it'll give me a great fall-back option.

Okay then I'm going to start writing how i should hehe.

It's just an issue of respect. You come to ask advice from people who have spent a good deal of money, time and effort gaining the knowledge that you are seeking, yet you didn't even feel it worth the effort to write correctly. It puts forth the image that you don't really value the effort that people put forth.

You don't seem to have qualified whether you want to be a professional pilot (i.e. do it as a career), or just be a pilot for fun.

Furthermore, working for one of the big airlines flying a giant aluminum sardine can isn't the only thing out there for piloting jobs. I would much rather fly Aztecs or Navajos around on cargo missions, or else flying King Airs and business jets around for charter. Either one sounds far more interesting to me, you get to go to cooler airports and you aren't stuck doing the same route day in and day out.

People ask me all the time if my goal is to work for the airlines given the amount of flying I've been doing and the "fast track" path I've put myself on for being a commercial rated pilot for single and multi engine land with an instrument rating and being a flight instructor. The answer is outright no. I enjoy my normal job, and I definitely make more money with my normal job than I'd make working at the airlines. I do hope to get into earning some money for my flying abilities in the future, but not as my primary source of income.

So, I think the first question for you to ask yourself is what do you want out of flying. Do you actually want to make a living out of it, or do you want instead to just take a little Cessna or Piper up on sunny days and fly low and slow? You may not know the answer at this point in time. My suggestion would be to get a college degree in something that is more lucrative and that you will enjoy doing, and keep flying as a hobby. If you're in 12th grade, your college applications should be getting turned in soon, no? Where are you looking at going to college?

And please do use proper grammar and puncutation around here. It just looks better for you in general.

Well i do want to make a living out of flying. Also i want to go to a college out of the city, I'm not sure yet to which college I'm going to go, but my counselor will help me on that.

Well i do want to make a living out of flying. Also i want to go to a college out of the city, I'm not sure yet to which college I'm going to go, but my counselor will help me on that.

Well, now is certainly the time to be planning your strategy, and you can get a lot of very useful advice here. Keep us posted on your thoughts and plans.

And, best of luck!

Back