what do I need to know about buying a new experimental airplane?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You must live "back east", correct? Geez, I was flying several hundred mile trips (all the fuel the rental 152s, 172s, 182s would hold) while I was still flying solo before getting my pilot license! I'm sorry, but weather and visibility out west just ain't the same as back east! This is not bragging, it ain't me that makes weather different in different locations.

If you don't live back east, then I truly don't understand what you're talking about. Why so? Because 99.999% of flying by private pilots occurs over land... land that contains airports every 20 or 30 miles on average. So seriously, if private pilots out west are terrified at the prospect of flying 1000 miles non-stop, I don't know why unless... oh, I get it, they all have terminal "get-there-itis", and they know it. Now it makes sense! They refuse to stop along the way when prudent, and they KNOW they will not stop along the way when prudent, so the thought of planning a 1000 mile trip terrifies them. Either that, or they fly when the weather is problematic if not BAD, because they have some appointment, or friends/relatives expect them to arrive. And, if they are a normal employee like most people, the only time they can get away for more than a day or two is... a long weekend or through the Christmas to New Year break, or their two weeks of vacation. And if the weather sucks or is problematic, well, they just GO FOR IT. Now I understand. Yeah, you see, it is as difficult for me to remember what it is like to be most people, just as they forget what it is like to be me. I just won't go unless the weather and forecast is great. Screw that! I want a beautiful, comfortable trip. If I have to wait, I'll wait.
Who beside you said anyone was terrified of flying? What gives you the idea they are? I'm not terrified of doing trips. But at one point in my life I thought one could do long trips VFR and work it out so long as they had some flexibility in their schedule. I tried it and realized that if I continued to do it, weather would bite me sooner or later. There is a difference between having respect for limitations and being terrified.

As for your other concern... I'll tell you what. I'll think about it further, but maybe I won't tell anyone I'm going. That's my usual modus-operandi anyway... to not tell anyone what I'm doing or where I'm going. That way, nobody will worry. Then if I crash, I'll think long and hard before I press the "emergency" button on that spotify device. I mean, probably an asswipe like me is better off dying than bothering some cargo ship to veer off course and lose a few hours. But seriously, I don't know why someone has to die to steer their cargo ship a few degrees to the south for a day or so. I certainly don't expect anyone to send rescue helicopters 1000 miles into the open ocean! I mean, seriously!

Just to make one thing clear. Nobody is obligated to do anything for me. Of that I am totally clear.
You cannot fly from California to Hawaii without flying through the ADIZ. If you fly through the ADIZ without telling anyone, you will get to see some shiny fighter planes with some big shiny missiles under their wings. You have to be on a flight plan to cross the ADIZ. If you open a flight plan but don't close it, crews will be dispatched to look for you. You don't get to opt out of that. They are obligated to look for you whether you want them to or not.

I didn't write a manifesto, I just addressed comments with facts. Geez... and people wonder when I vanish for years or decades and don't contact them! All they want to do is convince me to never do anything fun or cool or seriously productive. I love to see other people do cool stuff. Not sure why so many people are the opposite, but this I've noticed my entire life. So be it.
How long have you known that you're on the spectrum?

I fly over desert every week, some of it hostile for landings. I regularly cross 400 mile distances on a schedule and lots of airline pilots fly way bigger legs than that. Even though I know my routes and general weather patterns, I regularly have to alter plans for weather. I don’t think you realize just how much opportunity for bad weather 1500 miles represents.

What is "hostile for landing" depends on what kind of airplane you fly. To be sure, a commercial jet (or even a private jet for that matter) cannot land at 35mph to 40mph like a little pipistrel virus can. Just imagine you are flying an airplane that is able to land on EVERY airstrip in the USA. Compared to a jet, I'm guessing (just guessing) that increases the number of viable landing spots by a factor of 10... or 25... or maybe even 100.

I infer from your comment about 400 mile distances that you're probably not flying a jet of any size. Nonetheless, maybe you have an airplane that lands at 60mph or 80mph, which rules out many small airstrips. My only point being, the more airstrips you can land on, the less distance you need to fly to get to one. Plus, you can more often choose to fly a direction that gets you away from the worst weather conditions. Also, an airplane that can land on 35mph to 45mph can land safely at millions of places on rural roads out in the desert, or even just not too rough seconds of desert. At 60mph or 80mph your chances of damage greatly increase. But obviously you've know all this, as you go through this all the time.

If you regularly fly over deserts, I will assume you are somewhere "out west". Though flying out west has significant problems that pilots back east don't face (mainly endless high elevation mountains), in general visibility is vastly better... including visibility of weather in all directions. Back east, weather tends to be more uniform for hundreds of miles or more, whereas out west often you can see a violent thunderstorm "over there" and another "over there" but never be in any danger of needing to fly through any of them. Pilots back east have never seen such an environment, and I suppose pilots out west rarely see many kinds of weather that are common back east... including thick haze that extends right to the ground.

I suspect the nature of weather in the west is what you mean by "I regularly have to alter plans for weather". Doing that "out west" is a lot easier... even with tall mountains to avoid all over the place (unless you fly above 16,000 feet, which will at least keep you from slamming into a mountainside). So yeah, I've flown around weather when flying in the west too. That cannot be avoided unless you never fly except on totally clear days (and only for a few hours at that). But I've never had issues with weather that caused me to come even close to needing to fly in IMC. My only IMC was due to wearing the helmet.

I think we are all extra sensitive to some things, and less sensitive to others. I'm very comfortable at night for reasons I mentioned. But I am very sensitive to marginal weather conditions. Which is funny, because everyone here seems to have the impression that "this moron is happy to fly into a cloud with no idea what lies ahead". They could not be further from the truth!

One thing people here don't seem to understand. I never have a schedule to make. I never have appointments to make. I never have any reason to feel pushed to fly in marginal weather... or when I have a headache... or even when I just don't feel like flying. From what I can tell, it is those pressures that are most often responsible for getting pilots into situations that become dangerous or fatal. I simply don't have those pressures, and will not have those pressures. I will fly for fun, and fun means I can see forever. I fly to see the sights, not to get someplace. That's a difference, but apparently nobody hears this, and nobody can relate to this. Sigh.

I am trying my best to infer how things will be different now than when I was flying a lot. These are inferences and I say they are inferences. But when I even dare mention these inferences, people immediately jump on me and claim I pretend to know what I only infer and am still trying to learn. I mean, eventually I'll learn from flight instructors when I go get some update and refresher "rusty pilot" instruction in more modern airplanes. But I was hoping to get a jump on some of this now, because it helps me make various decisions like... what avionics to order for the airplane. Sadly, too many people just want to throw rocks and make false assertions about what I said. I'm not sure why people get suck a kick out of that.

There is another issue that again is an inference... based on living in Hawaii for 16 years. I'm sorry, but I have accumulated some experience about weather patterns in Hawaii, patterns that at first blush seem to generally apply all over the tropical and semi-tropical pacific ocean. Yet everyone immediately discounts all of this, no matter they've never lived on a tropical island in the pacific ocean... or even seen the pacific ocean in some cases. For example, in those 16 years, the sky is almost always clear (or close to clear) at dawn and dusk, as well as all night. On the other hand, there were almost zero days when puffy cumulus did not form in the early afternoon and stick around to some degree until close to dusk. The kind of weather variations that people elsewhere suffer... almost never occurs. So pilots who have not seen this, much less lived this, cannot imagine in their wildest dreams that weather patterns could be so regular and predictable. I understand. But I don't appreciate being called a complete scumbag because I did have these experiences and do have some basis to draw inferences. At the same time, I know the puffy white clouds are created by the mountains on all the islands, so the same dynamic does not exist over endless expanses of empty ocean. Nonetheless, I've watched weather patterns in the pacific ocean enough to have a basic but not detailed or extensive experience with weather in the warm portions of the pacific ocean. I know other islands with mountains in the south pacific have weather patterns similar to Hawaii, but there may be exceptions I don't know about. What I need to learn more about is... patterns and behavior I don't know about out in the middle of nowhere.

If you fly IFR, can you tell me what will make flying so much safer when push comes to shove? For example, what do you learn in IFR training that will safe your bacon in the event you cannot get to an airport that has IFR/ILS support? It seems to me that learning to flying more safely than I already can in IMC will be far more important than learning to land at an IFR/ILS airport. After all, few airports on tiny islands in the south pacific have IFR/ILS support, and in many cases I will not have sufficient fuel to get to the next airport with IFR/ILS systems. So my inference is, learning to get through and out of IMC conditions will be much more valuable than learning to land by ILS. After all, in all my years living on a tropical island in the pacific, there was probably a total of only 2 or 3 hours when there was anything remotely like fog... or clouds down to ground level or almost ground level. If that's true of the other islands in the south-pacific, then it seems to me that staying stable until I get to a place to land, then being able to pop out the bottom of the clouds to land, will be vastly if not infinitely more important than learning ILS skills, or even following strange complex ATC generated paths on approach and/or in the pattern. After all, my default plan is to NEVER land at an airport with ATC, much less IFR/ILS... unless for some reason I absolutely have to.

So yeah, I am concerned about bad weather... I'm very sensitive to that issue. I just don't see that ATC and ILS is the issue for me, because I will rarely if ever land there, and in many cases would not have sufficient fuel to get there. Gads, it would be a nightmare to think I could only land by ILS... and run out of fuel and crash in the ocean because I tried to extend my flight too far to get to an ATC/ILS airport!

However, what I think is very important, is for me to become very practiced at getting my butt out of bad situations caused by weather. That could mean "safely flying above the top of the cloud level" for some time, which means flying in IMC while I'm climbing up top. Then of course there is potentially flying in MIC while flying back down through clouds and out the bottom. Obviously if I ever have to do anything like this on one of those long legs across the ocean, I care about being safe, not about "what rating do I have". The strange thing is, nobody seems to want to discuss these practical issues. They just want to throw rocks, call me names, and lie about what I actually said.

Last edited:
If you read all my messages, you'd know that I am considering getting IFR rating. You'd also know from the list of avionics in my first post, that I'm only missing one or two items for the airplane to be fully IFR capable. The one item I know I'm still missing is the gizmo to enable ILS.

However, if GPS and autopilot can get someone to the point they are below clouds and somewhere close to a reasonable approach to a runway, my (so far untested) guess is, that would be sufficient to save my bacon in 95% of instances. OTOH, I have to add the disclaimer that I've never flown an airplane with GPS, moving maps, synthetic vision or autopilot before... so this assumption is still theory awaiting some trial runs (which obviously I would do before trying the real thing over 3800km of open ocean).

My plans included GPS, moving maps, synthetic vision, autopilot and more. What I figured was, though I might have to become briefly "illegal" in the worst of cases, having a GPS-guided autopilot would prevent the most probable causes of disaster long enough to get through and below clouds to make a VFR landing.

Out of curiosity, how much time is required to get IFR training? And for anyone who really knows (probably a flying instructor, or someone who is thoughtful and not defeatist), how many times will full IFR training and certificate let a pilot save his bacon... when GPS, moving-maps, synthetic vision and autopilot will not let a pilot save his own bacon? In the case of my situation, where I infer there will be boatloads of islands with boatloads of runways that do not have ILS equipment, I have a feeling that knowing how to save ones own bacon without ILS equipment might be more valuable than full-bore IFR training that relies upon ILS equipment at the airport. Note that this may not be true within the 48 states and Canada and a lot of places, but there are thousands of small islands in the south-pacific, many dozens of which have airports, airstrips, runways and/or other suitable places to land... but no ILS equipment. Of course there are a dozen or so island that do have ILS, but what about everywhere else? In such an environment, which skill is more likely to help a pilot save his bacon? The obvious answer is BOTH skills, but out of curiosity, which one is likely to be more valuable?

One more question... a poll of sorts, for anyone to answer.

What is most likely to lead to my death in the island flying I have described:

#1: Run out of fuel, leading to a crash into the ocean.
#2: The engine fails, leading to a crash into the ocean.
#3: Pilot falls asleep, leading to a crash into the ocean.
#4: Pilot drinks then flies, leading to a crash into the ocean.
#5: Turbulence rips off tail or control surface, leading to crash into the ocean.
#6: GPS/avionics/navigation fails, leading to fuel exhaustion and crash in the ocean.
#7: Inability to stay out of IMC, leading to pilot loss of control and crash into the ocean.
#8: This moron of a pilot deserves to die, so god crashes his airplane into the ocean.
#9: Some other reason... please state.

I am actually being serious here. Though some people post sensible messages warning about specific worries they have, others just say "you are insane" or equivalent but do not say why they think my plans are absurd. I'm curious what everyone thinks, because this gives me specific items to think about and hopefully find reasonable mitigation or solutions for.

You forgot spatial disorientation while flying VFR over a dark ocean during the dark hours of this trip.

Let's start with the aircraft in question. I'm looking at both the information chart you've linked, and an article in Flying magazine published in 2011. If you start with the long range tanks, you've probably got 75 US gallons usable. If you allow six gallons for takeoff and climb and four gallons for approach and four gallons, that leaves 65 gallons for the enroute portion of your trip. 65 gallons divided by 4.2 gallons per hour gives you 15.4 hours absolute still air range. Flying found that the Virus (who thought that name up?) got 140 knots at high cruise. If there's no wind 15.4*140 = 2156 nm, which is barely enough to make it in still air. I checked the winds aloft as of right now, and they're between 15 and 25 knots on your nose. This airplane does not have enough fuel to make this trip. Also, it's not designed to, it's a very light airplane and is intended for local flying and moderate cross country flights. You won't like getting shaken around in the weather in an airplane with that light of a wing loading.

Let's look at the pilot. You've said some things that make me wonder how much of your original training you've retained. You stated that the aircraft's 23,000 foot ceiling will get you over almost any weather. No, tropical thunderstorms commonly top 30,000 feet and sometimes exceed 40,000 feet. There is plenty of weather in the mid teens where you intend to fly. Also, what sort of rate of climb can you expect above 10,000 feet? You won't be outclimbing the weather in that airplane. You never held an instrument rating, but you think you have an idea how to fly on instruments from the hood time you got as part of your private. I don't have a lot of hours in light airplanes, but I could not imagine going cross country over the open ocean without an instrument rating. Any sort of haze at all and the chances for spatial disorientation are great.

I don't have enough hours to give a properly educated guess as to how much experience someone would need to pull off a trip like this in a light airplane, but there are people here who do. I can tell you it's more than you can get in the next six months. Why are you in such a hurry to do this? You're also putting way too much faith in the ability for weather to be forecasted accurately. We can get a pretty good idea what they are over California and Hawaii, but what's going on between at the altitudes you'd be flying, there just isn't much data.

To answer your original question, the only way you're going to legally register the airplane you've described is as experimental amateur built, which means you are going to have to build it. Before you do that, you need to check with the authorities in those countries where you are intending to fly to make sure they will accept you flying in their airspace in an experimental. Peter Garrison flew his homebuilt to many countries, so some of them are fine with it.

If you're serious about this, here's what I'd suggest. Get current, and then find a Cessna Skylane with 80 or 90 gallon fuel tanks to rent. Plot yourself out an 1100 mile cross country, get in the airplane with your oxygen setup and your relief equipment, climb up to 15,000 feet, and pull the power way back until you're TAS is around 100 kts. If you start getting too fatigued, find a friendly nearby airport and land. That way you'll get a taste of what you're thinking of doing. I recently had to make a 1500 mile round trip in my car, left at 3 PM on Friday, stopped to sleep for five hours, got back at 10:15 on Saturday night. I can tell you I was not nearly as sharp at the end of the trip as I was at the beginning, and I got out of the car every four or five hours. Plus, that's driving a big comfy sedan, which is far less fatiguing than a light airplane.

If you're really serious about island hopping, you'd want some sort of a twin with additional fuel tanks. Maybe there's an STC for an Aztec that would get you the range you need. I fear that trying this in the Virus is nothing more than an expensive way to find out how good the search and rescue facilities are in the Pacific.

Also, Spotify is a music service, not an emergency locator. I think this is what you are thinking of: https://www.findmespot.com/en/index.php?cid=100 . I'd want something a hell of a lot more robust than that, though.

You didn’t plan a 1500 nm XC as a solo student ... did ya?

You should see if you can get some info from the Solar Impulse folks on the Pacific.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Who beside you said anyone was terrified of flying? What gives you the idea they are? I'm not terrified of doing trips. But at one point in my life I thought one could do long trips VFR and work it out so long as they had some flexibility in their schedule. I tried it and realized that if I continued to do it, weather would bite me sooner or later. There is a difference between having respect for limitations and being terrified.

I'm supposed to be terrified of flying 25 miles at night. What other conclusion can I come to?

You seem to think an IFR rating is MAGIC protection. Without even taking IFR training, I know that's BS. What might save your bacon someday (and may have already) is one or more specific skills you learned during IFR training. The rating or certificate doesn't save you... some specific knowledge and skills save you.

This is why I tried to dig into the various aspects of IFR training, to learn what the basic elements were, and see whether there are more elements than I am aware of. I listed what I infer are the elements and asked what else might be part of the IFR training that I might not be aware of. I got no answers, just thrown rocks and accusations.

I explained why it was obvious to me that some aspects of IFR training will be of MUCH less use to me in my missions flying across big swaths of ocean. For example, I'll probably never land at an ATC controlled airport at all, and probably not at one with IFR/ILS systems. Which means, learning to fly precise approaches specified by ATC is something that I will probably never do, not even once. And landing via ILS support is also something that I will probably never do, not even once. And for that reason, those elements of IFR training are probably of zero benefit to me. Probably. However, staying safe in IMC is exactly the opposite. I can imagine getting into a situation where my best course of action is to climb through IMC to get on top of the cloud layer... followed by a long stretch of flying in VFR above the clouds... and possibly in a worst case scenario have to descend through IMC clouds to pop out below where I can then perform a VFR landing on some small airport or airstrip on some tiny island with a population of 50 or 100 or maybe 200. Actually, in my search just yesterday, I found a few more islands that have airports with nice long paved runways... and a population of ZERO. I know, seems crazy. Why have an airport in such a location? I dunno. But they exist. Maybe they have fuel pumps for pilots to refill. I dunno. But I'm pretty damn certain they don't have any IFR/ILS landing systems there!

Also, let me inform you of something, and remind you of something else. First, there is almost never fog at tropical islands. Just doesn't happen. Or cloud layers that extend all the way down to the ground, or even down to within a few hundred feet of the ground. Those situations are just about as rare as hens teeth. The other fact you know, but I'll remind you, just in case. As long as you are not over an island (which your GPS will tell you), there is nothing above 0 feet AGL to run into. No mountains, no hills, no communication towers. Okay, if you're really, really, really unlucky, and the bottom of the cloud layer is lower than it ever gets (like 100 feet), maybe you could manage to pop out of the clouds just as you reach the top of the highest mast of some supertanker or cargo vessel. Boy, talk about bad luck! Thousands of miles of 0 feet elevation, and you manage to hit the one in a trillion bullseye. Well, I'll take those odds!

Which means, I suspect that being able to safely fly in IMC is far and away the most important skill for an tropical ocean pilot to master. My guess is, that will be about a million times more important than all that fancy approach flying and all that fancy ILS landing goober. Of course what I just said is not true when you fly over continents as most pilots do most or all the time. In the normal case those other aspects of IFR training are also very important... especially if you need to land at ATC/IFR/ILS airports due to your job or other considerations.

I have no idea why people freak out when I mention what seem like purely logical thoughts like these. All I can say is... good grief!

You cannot fly from California to Hawaii without flying through the ADIZ. If you fly through the ADIZ without telling anyone, you will get to see some shiny fighter planes with some big shiny missiles under their wings. You have to be on a flight plan to cross the ADIZ. If you open a flight plan but don't close it, crews will be dispatched to look for you. You don't get to opt out of that. They are obligated to look for you whether you want them to or not.

Well, that's their problem, not mine. I don't ask for help, so I can't stop them.

Sorry, but more people than I can count have flown small airplanes to Hawaii on ferry missions. Obviously they are scumbags too, right?

How long have you known that you're on the spectrum?

What spectrum? I don't know what "spectrum" refers to in your question.

You didn’t plan a 1500 nm XC as a solo student ... did ya?

Not non-stop. In smaller hops, maybe. The whole trip, maybe. I don't think the Cessna 152s and 172s I flew then had that much range. So no could do non-stop.

Last edited:
You should see if you can get some info from the Solar Impulse folks on the Pacific.

I never heard the term "solar impulse"... or maybe I just forgot the term.

Are you talking about the airplane with solar-panels on the wings that flew around the world? What info would they have on the pacific? If you mean weather conditions before a planned flight, don't you think satellites would have more information than anyone else? I think I'm missing your intent.

Nobody here is lying. Maybe misinterpreting but not outright lying.

Long haul flying, especially over vast quantities of ocean, and especially in light aircraft, is dangerous, to say the least. You talk about the guy who did it twice, once each direction. But what were his qualifications? My guess is that he was more than just a Private Pilot with no instrument rating.

I know you have said that you have no intentions of ever flying much IMC if you ever got the instrument rating, but I think one of the best insurance policies you can buy for yourself it’s to get instrument rated before you go. You may not need it, but like any insurance policy, when you DO need it, you need it BADLY.

I understand your initial reasoning for starting this thread. You want to find out what you might be missing. You know there are things that you don’t know and are trying to fill those knowledge gaps. Thing is, you don’t know what you don’t know. Those are the gaps we collectively are trying to fill. But you don’t seem to want to listen.

Look up Hazardous Attitudes in aviation. You won’t admit it, but you are displaying several if them in this thread. That is the most dangerous part you have to face in your endeavor.

I wish you well. I really do. It sounds like one hell of an adventure. But it won’t be an adventure if you end up in the ocean never to be heard from again.

One last thing, put down the keyboard and go fly. Experience, experience, experience.

IFR training is not just about landing. It’s about being able to read in interpret your instruments and control the airplane safely with or without an autopilot without visual references and against what your ear is telling you. It’s about not only training to be competent but have the experience to be proficient in relying totally on instrumentation and knowing how to interpret when they fail.

Night time over the ocean is an easy way to fly into the ocean at 200kts and feel like you are straight and level, google John Kennedy jr .

Autopilots fail, there have been some recent incidents in GA that have pointed to those failures in much more expensive and well maintained planes.

Last edited:
I always looked at the PPL as being similar to an Associates Degree, the Instrument was like getting your bachelor's, commercial was like going for your Masters, and the ATP was akin to your PHD.

Just my view, but I saw each as a natural progression info furthering your knowledge/skills as a pilot.

I didn't plan on flying hard IFR when I got mine either but it wasn't long before I was flying approaches to near minimums and yes at times I had to land at the alternate. Just saying!!

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

<snip>I don't know the exact oil consumption, but I have to believe every engine is a little different. I did ask a fellow who flies this exact same airplane with the exact same engine (but without extreme range tanks), and he said I would not need to worry about burning too much oil on an 18 hour flight. However, that's not a specific answer. <snip>

I never heard of oil bladders. Though I'm 95% sure I won't need a larger oil reserve, it should be possible to install a larger oil container in the airplane. Thanks for adding that extra thought to my list.

Max_reason - I'm sure you know that the 912is (and all 912 and the variants) are a dry-sump design. So yes, it would be good to put some flight time on your aircraft to measure it's own oil consumption rate. But I would suggest your reach out to Rotax to see if a larger oil return tank can be used (shouldn't be an issue with a dry sump system is my guess) and then check with Pipistrel as you'll need room under cowl to fit it, and it will also change (albeit minimally) your weight and balance.

Might not be a bad idea to also check on cruise ship travel (or cargo ship travel routes) between your continental US departure point and Hawaii. In case of engine failure or fuel exhaustion, you would want to be in reasonable proximity of one of those ships that you can try to reach it before putting the aircraft in the water. There's a YouTube video of someone doing a ferry flight to Hawaii in a Cirrus and having to pull the chute due to a pinched fuel line and fuel starvation. He flew near a cruise ship and was on deck in 15 minutes after putting it into the water.

Nobody here is lying. Maybe misinterpreting but not outright lying.

Long haul flying, especially over vast quantities of ocean, and especially in light aircraft, is dangerous, to say the least. You talk about the guy who did it twice, once each direction. But what were his qualifications? My guess is that he was more than just a Private Pilot with no instrument rating.

I know you have said that you have no intentions of ever flying much IMC if you ever got the instrument rating, but I think one of the best insurance policies you can buy for yourself it’s to get instrument rated before you go. You may not need it, but like any insurance policy, when you DO need it, you need it BADLY.

I understand your initial reasoning for starting this thread. You want to find out what you might be missing. You know there are things that you don’t know and are trying to fill those knowledge gaps. Thing is, you don’t know what you don’t know. Those are the gaps we collectively are trying to fill. But you don’t seem to want to listen.

Look up Hazardous Attitudes in aviation. You won’t admit it, but you are displaying several if them in this thread. That is the most dangerous part you have to face in your endeavor.

I wish you well. I really do. It sounds like one hell of an adventure. But it won’t be an adventure if you end up in the ocean never to be heard from again.

One last thing, put down the keyboard and go fly. Experience, experience, experience.

Sure, I figure the odds he had an IFR rating are probably 98% or so. And he better, because (as I recall) he only had a limited number of days to finish his expedition. That's the kind of time pressure that convinces people to push forward in marginal situations. But another major difference is, he literally flew through EVERY kind of environment on planet earth, including to Antarctica and over the top of Mount Everest! In contrast, I will fly in exactly one kind of environment... over open warm-water ocean. I know nobody wants to recognize or acknowledge the difference, but regardless, there is a difference. Many types of weather disasters just don't happen there. Others kinds do of course (including cyclones) but the differences do allow certain inferences to be reasonably drawn.

You and those other folks who harp on IFR training may be correct, maybe I need IFR training too. However, I continue to ask whether a certain aspect of that training is enormously, even astronomically more important to me than other aspects, given the limited environments I will fly in (namely one and only type of environment). Nobody has been willing to answer that simple question. I'm not sure why... except for "conventionality bias". I AM interested in being safe. I am not interested in being able to brag to anyone that I have an IFR rating. So if learning certain skills that are part of IFR training are vastly more important for what I will do, I'd rather focus all my time and attention on gaining those skills, and not on more-or-less useless-for-my-purposes skills like fancy approaches and ILS landings. I don't know why this makes everyone flip out!

I agree with your statement... exactly so! What I want is the insurance policy, not the IFR rating. If a certain part of the training is valuable to me, which I have clearly indicated it certainly would be, I want to get that training, I want to develop those skills. To have those skills that I might need to survive unavoidable IMC conditions is exactly a bargain insurance policy. To know how to fly fancy, complex approach patterns ordered by ATC, then land with ILS support... will probably end up being of zero value, and not really much of an insurance policy at all. The reason why is clear... I will probably never land at an airport with ATC or with IFR/ILS support. And if I do for some strange reason, I will pop out below the clouds a distance away and fly the rest of the way to the airport via VFR rules. But I very much doubt that will ever happen, and for certain I will not be able to land at big airports in most cases, because they simply are not at locations where I need to refuel. That's just the way the geography worked out. That wasn't my choice, but that is fact.

I don't know why people cannot let themselves acknowledge this situation is different from 99.999% of pilots who fly over continents all the time, most of the time, or at least a substantial part of the time. The other area I'll be flying a lot is the northern Chile area and thereabouts, which is the Atacama Andes... the driest desert on planet earth. Major portions of this area have had zero rain in over 10,000 years. The weather is clear 350+ days per year. That's why all the biggest and best observatories on planet earth are located in this area... clear skies every night and day. 5% to 15% relative humidity. Am I supposed to need IFR or encounter IMC there? Don't count on it!

I'll tell you one attitude I have that is not hazardous. And that is to spend my time, effort, research and practice on what gives me the most benefits, including safety. To totally ignore what is important for my specific projects and just repeat actions because they are conventional and nothing else... that is hazardous. Not because the extra IFR training that I don't really need will hurt me, but because I would have spent that time and money on things that are more important. While I have a lot more time to invest in this project than most people could, my time and financial resources are still limited. I want to do whatever gets me the most benefits. Simple as that.

Honestly, many of the people here are not trying to fill the gaps in my knowledge, except with hyper-general platitudes. For people who themselves don't have IFR training, that is understandable. But apparently some people here do have that training, but they absolutely refuse to explain what are the general elements or aspects of IFR training so I can figure out whether I need the whole ball of wax, or I will be better served by focusing on those aspects that will benefit me. So you see, I have asked over and over and over again "what about IFR that I don't know". I listed what I infer IFR training is so they don't need to repeat what is obvious or already inferred. Nonetheless, after many requests, nobody has answered that simple question. A question that is exactly designed to find out what I don't know about IFR training. Nobody answers. A list of the 3, 4, 5, 6 general elements or aspects of IFR would be fine. But for some reason, that's too much to ask. I don't know why... which is yet another known unknown.

I give up on this IFR question. I'll go look for an IFR "ground school" book or something. Hopefully I can figure out this general question from the chapters or table-of-contents.

If you end up in IMC, you’ll need more experience than just the rating will give you. The variety may not seem relevant, but it will help you anyway. That said, others here are completely correct about how uncomfortable a Pipistrel is likely to be especially say in night IMC. The same things that make it a great motorglider option are going to make it a bear to fly IMC in a thunderstorm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IFR training is not just about landing. It’s about being able to read in interpret your instruments and control the airplane safely with or without an autopilot without visual references and against what your ear is telling you. It’s about not only training to be competent but have the experience to be proficient in relying totally on instrumentation and knowing how to interpret when they fail.

Those are the aspects of IFR that make total sense to me. I got just a taste of that under the hood in private pilot training (just 2 or 3 hours). As far as instrument failure goes, I suppose my first and second response are: have backup instruments, and perhaps especially have portable ones that don't rely on ANY part of the airplane. Of course if everything fails, including the engine, then a water landing it is... unless the problem can be fixed and/or restarted in time. As a result, I have exactly zero resistance to those aspects of IFR training.

Night time over the ocean is an easy way to fly into the ocean at 200kts and feel like you are straight and level, google John Kennedy Jr.

I may not need to fly over the ocean at night in the south pacific. Let's see now. The longest leg in my new plan is 3000km (1900 miles) @ 275kph (170mph) == 11 hours (or 12 hours @ 250kph "economy speed"). Flying westward, I gain roughly 2 hours of daylight in the process of flying 2000 miles west, which makes the day seem like 9 or 10 hours (depending on the chosen speed). On the other hand, flying eastward steals roughly 2 hours of daylight from me, making the 11 or 12 hour flight seem like 13 or 14 hours. I'd have to check, but I think dawn to dusk is more than 14 hours. To make a quick check, I just asked the internet what are the sunrise and sunset in Fiji, and the answer was 13 hours and 3 minutes. So 14 hours is pushing it a tad, but 13 hours clearly works (exactly sunrise to sunset).

Note that the same doesn't work for California to Hawaii, which is 3800km (2400 miles), not 3000km (1900 miles). This adds roughly 2.90 or 3.20 hours at the specified speeds, which makes the east-to-west trip appear to take 11.90 or 13.20 hours, which is all during daylight... though just barely at the slower speed. OTOH, going the opposite direction definitely doesn't work, because it appears to take 15.90 to 17.20 hours as far as the sun position goes.

OTOH, my interest is the south pacific, not Hawaii, so I can fly the longest leg entirely during daylight. Perhaps leaving at the crack of dawn rather than sunrise is a wise measure when flying eastward. OTOH, who wants to fly directly into the rising sun? Ugh! Maybe leave a couple hours before sunset and arrive at dawn? Maybe at full moon so flying at night is almost like flying in the daytime? Of course if the weather is going to be clear the whole way, the dark night sky full of stars is gorgeous.

Autopilots fail, there have been some recent incidents in GA that have pointed to those failures in much more expensive and well maintained planes.

What are the failure modes of autopilots? Do you mean fail by just going kaput, or fail by flying the airplane into the ground while pretending (to the pilot) that all is well?

When you say "how to interpret when instruments fail", how is that? By noting inconsistencies? By noting the instruments indicate "straight and level" while you hear the sound of an accelerating engine like the classic sound of a dive bomber or kamikaze?

I'm supposed to be terrified of flying 25 miles at night. What other conclusion can I come to?

You seem to think an IFR rating is MAGIC protection. Without even taking IFR training, I know that's BS. What might save your bacon someday (and may have already) is one or more specific skills you learned during IFR training. The rating or certificate doesn't save you... some specific knowledge and skills save you.

This is why I tried to dig into the various aspects of IFR training, to learn what the basic elements were, and see whether there are more elements than I am aware of. I listed what I infer are the elements and asked what else might be part of the IFR training that I might not be aware of. I got no answers, just thrown rocks and accusations.

I explained why it was obvious to me that some aspects of IFR training will be of MUCH less use to me in my missions flying across big swaths of ocean. For example, I'll probably never land at an ATC controlled airport at all, and probably not at one with IFR/ILS systems. Which means, learning to fly precise approaches specified by ATC is something that I will probably never do, not even once. And landing via ILS support is also something that I will probably never do, not even once. And for that reason, those elements of IFR training are probably of zero benefit to me. Probably. However, staying safe in IMC is exactly the opposite. I can imagine getting into a situation where my best course of action is to climb through IMC to get on top of the cloud layer... followed by a long stretch of flying in VFR above the clouds... and possibly in a worst case scenario have to descend through IMC clouds to pop out below where I can then perform a VFR landing on some small airport or airstrip on some tiny island with a population of 50 or 100 or maybe 200. Actually, in my search just yesterday, I found a few more islands that have airports with nice long paved runways... and a population of ZERO. I know, seems crazy. Why have an airport in such a location? I dunno. But they exist. Maybe they have fuel pumps for pilots to refill. I dunno. But I'm pretty damn certain they don't have any IFR/ILS landing systems there!

Also, let me inform you of something, and remind you of something else. First, there is almost never fog at tropical islands. Just doesn't happen. Or cloud layers that extend all the way down to the ground, or even down to within a few hundred feet of the ground. Those situations are just about as rare as hens teeth. The other fact you know, but I'll remind you, just in case. As long as you are not over an island (which your GPS will tell you), there is nothing above 0 feet AGL to run into. No mountains, no hills, no communication towers. Okay, if you're really, really, really unlucky, and the bottom of the cloud layer is lower than it ever gets (like 100 feet), maybe you could manage to pop out of the clouds just as you reach the top of the highest mast of some supertanker or cargo vessel. Boy, talk about bad luck! Thousands of miles of 0 feet elevation, and you manage to hit the one in a trillion bullseye. Well, I'll take those odds!
Well you've convinced me. You're right. An instrument rating and an IFR capable airplane isn't going to make you any safer. I say go for it.

What spectrum? I don't know what "spectrum" refers to in your question.
Welp, sucks for those around you then.

Last edited:
One bit of anecdotal information. I was flying to a "tropical" island destination not long ago. The forecast was for nice VFR weather the entire time period. We were setting up for an RNAV approach when ATC told us that the weather was now 2000 foot ceilings and 2 miles visibility. No big deal but we went all the way to minimums and did not see the runway until after we started the missed approach maneuver. So much for 2,000 and 2. The second time around we did the ILS approach and went almost to minimums before we saw the runway. Barely. Heavy rain blurred the site picture by quite a bit, even with wipers.

The point to this? You have no idea what kind of conditions might pop up. Sure, the forecast might be for clear and a million when you leave, but 12 hours later significant changes can and do happen. I have seen it happen. If you don't have a full set of tools at your disposal, you might find you need a screwdriver when you really need a hammer. A BIG one. There just aren't that many alternates out in the Pacific.

Focusing on just part of IFR training, rather than all of it, just because you are going somewhere where weather isn't typically a problem is severely myopic. You NEED the full toolbox because you just don't know what tools you may need.

Moonless nights over the water is essentially IMC-Kennedy flight was on a moonless night I believe.
While it may be hard, since there is a paucity of IMC where you live, I would consider going up with a CFI on an IMC day. Take off and hand fly a takeoff, turning climb, or deal with some radio work of fiddle with gps making some changes while hand flying in IMC. The experience alone should convince you the training is worth it as your sense of equilibrium ain’t worth spit.
While the “187 seconds to live” example, video is debatable as to some of the research that went into it, I can tell you personally that I was in a 60 deg Banking turn to the right when I thought I was climbing level wings in less then a min after entering IMC for the first time early on in my IFR training had to just select a waypoint-direct to-enter-enter. Sobering. After months (40 hours with about 15 IMC -east coast weather!!) of training I’ve learned to fight those natural impulses. I’ve learned to manage cockpit and scan better. Most importantly I learned that I’d be either dead or not flying very much without this training.

One bit of anecdotal information. I was flying to a "tropical" island destination not long ago.

Not to put too fine a point on it for @max_reason, Greg is a professional pilot based on Guam. I think we can rely on his council in terms of predictability of conditions in Pacific isles. And he has the luxury of being in "a big ole jet" with more than one pilot, engine, and option when things are less than optimal.

Those are the aspects of IFR that make total sense to me. I got just a taste of that under the hood in private pilot training (just 2 or 3 hours). As far as instrument failure goes, I suppose my first and second response are: have backup instruments, and perhaps especially have portable ones that don't rely on ANY part of the airplane. Of course if everything fails, including the engine, then a water landing it is... unless the problem can be fixed and/or restarted in time. As a result, I have exactly zero resistance to those aspects of IFR training.

I may not need to fly over the ocean at night in the south pacific. Let's see now. The longest leg in my new plan is 3000km (1900 miles) @ 275kph (170mph) == 11 hours (or 12 hours @ 250kph "economy speed"). Flying westward, I gain roughly 2 hours of daylight in the process of flying 2000 miles west, which makes the day seem like 9 or 10 hours (depending on the chosen speed). On the other hand, flying eastward steals roughly 2 hours of daylight from me, making the 11 or 12 hour flight seem like 13 or 14 hours. I'd have to check, but I think dawn to dusk is more than 14 hours. To make a quick check, I just asked the internet what are the sunrise and sunset in Fiji, and the answer was 13 hours and 3 minutes. So 14 hours is pushing it a tad, but 13 hours clearly works (exactly sunrise to sunset).

Note that the same doesn't work for California to Hawaii, which is 3800km (2400 miles), not 3000km (1900 miles). This adds roughly 2.90 or 3.20 hours at the specified speeds, which makes the east-to-west trip appear to take 11.90 or 13.20 hours, which is all during daylight... though just barely at the slower speed. OTOH, going the opposite direction definitely doesn't work, because it appears to take 15.90 to 17.20 hours as far as the sun position goes.

OTOH, my interest is the south pacific, not Hawaii, so I can fly the longest leg entirely during daylight. Perhaps leaving at the crack of dawn rather than sunrise is a wise measure when flying eastward. OTOH, who wants to fly directly into the rising sun? Ugh! Maybe leave a couple hours before sunset and arrive at dawn? Maybe at full moon so flying at night is almost like flying in the daytime? Of course if the weather is going to be clear the whole way, the dark night sky full of stars is gorgeous.

What are the failure modes of autopilots? Do you mean fail by just going kaput, or fail by flying the airplane into the ground while pretending (to the pilot) that all is well?

When you say "how to interpret when instruments fail", how is that? By noting inconsistencies? By noting the instruments indicate "straight and level" while you hear the sound of an accelerating engine like the classic sound of a dive bomber or kamikaze?

Not sure of the systems that run insturments on your planned plane. Vacuum driven? Wet or dry? Electric driven?? What is the autopilot slaved to?? Unfortunately vacuum driven instruments don’t fail by being covered up by a sticky note. They fail slowly..the instruments dependent on that system fail slowly. If autopilot slaved to a vacuum driven HSI and the pump starts go... alternators go and with a heavy electrically driven panel you get in big trouble in a hurry.

To do the flights you propose everything and one has the be working 100% IMHO. Problem With avaiation is that often we or the equipment isn’t 100% for 100% of the time. For low risk low level operation, we can get ourselves out of trouble when the crap hits the fan and worst case is a fun story in “lessons learned” to post and get the PoA treatment about it!! lol!!
I don’t think anybody is trying to be a penis to crush dreams. But most of us here read a lot about aviation we read a lot, possibly too much, about accidents. There are common threads in a lot of the accidents we read about and the concerning thing for us is that a lot of what is written in this thread has echoes of what we have read about before. That’s all.
I for one read a lot about accidents as a learning experience.

Read the FAA's Instrument Flying Handbook. It has a good section on this. When it happens for real it can be very disorienting. Also, because of the disorientation it can cause, your first response to an instrument failure might be the last you ever make. Only IFR training and experience can train you to immediately recognize what is happening and how to respond to it. All of the computer screens in the world wont' save you.

Spatial disorganization is insidious and can cause loss of aircraft control in seconds. Only the skills and repetition of IFR training and currency can protect you from this killer. An IFR rating is also about training your body and mind to ignore what it is telling you. As soon as you enter reduced visibility for real (not under the hood) your body will start sending disorienting signals to your brain. Your brain will be telling you you've entered a climb, when in fact you are descending. Your brain will tell you that you are absolutely in a steep right bank when you are flying level. If you respond to what your brain is telling you, you may well enter into a loss of control accident so fast there will be no saving the airplane, or you.

What is perplexing to most here is that you claim to have all this flying experience but seem to have little concept of the true reality of flying in reduced visibility conditions. Whether it's night, mist, haze, clouds, rain or a fouled windscreen - the real problem is the transition from VFR to IFR in flight. You have a very few precious seconds to make this transition correctly before you end up in a loss of control situation.

In these adventures you are planning you will run into reduced visibility conditions. Being IFR rated and capable is the only way to ensure you survive it. Getting an IFR rating isn't about "flying an ILS". Its about having the skills to manage power, energy, airspeed, climbs, descents, turns and navigation solely by reference to your instruments.

An IFR rating is also about learning how to interpret the weather reports and forecasts. Do you actually think someone is just going to tell you the weather over the next 24 hours along your route of flight is going to be perfect?

Do you think there is someone you can call, or one source of weather info. that will give you this information - especially over the Pacific? Do you even know what a prognostic chart is? How about a skew T chart?

Where in the world do you think you are going to get the information to make go/no go decisions over the Pacific ocean? I can answer this for you - THERE IS NO SUCH SOURCE. It doesn't exist.

What does exists is dozens of charts, tables, weather balloon data, infra-red images, satellite images, prog. charts and humidity forecasts. Interpreting and understanding weather is a huge part of an IFR rating. It then takes years to learn how to interpret all available weather data in order to make critical go/no go decisions. Who exactly is going to make intelligent go/no go decisions for you?

Yet, the way you explain your knowledge and experience, you should clearly understand everything I have just written. Yet you still make statements that getting an IFR rating isn't important for the type of flying you intend to do.

There is a significant disconnect between (1) your claimed flying experience, (2) your claimed intelligence and (3) your stated ignorance of critical aspects of aviating. In your case 1+1+1 does not equal 3 and I think that is why you are getting such a negative reaction here.

"I have had my pilot certificate for decades. Back when I flew a lot, I mostly did bush flying to spots that 99% of pilots would never go... period. However, to be fair, I worked up to those kinds of places slowly. Start with a bunch of easy places. Then several a little more difficult. And so forth, and so forth... until I reached the point where I decided "the risk of going further would be too high".

One bit of anecdotal information. I was flying to a "tropical" island destination not long ago. The forecast was for nice VFR weather the entire time period. We were setting up for an RNAV approach when ATC told us that the weather was now 2000 foot ceilings and 2 miles visibility. No big deal but we went all the way to minimums and did not see the runway until after we started the missed approach maneuver. So much for 2,000 and 2. The second time around we did the ILS approach and went almost to minimums before we saw the runway. Barely. Heavy rain blurred the site picture by quite a bit, even with wipers.

The point to this? You have no idea what kind of conditions might pop up. Sure, the forecast might be for clear and a million when you leave, but 12 hours later significant changes can and do happen. I have seen it happen. If you don't have a full set of tools at your disposal, you might find you need a screwdriver when you really need a hammer. A BIG one. There just aren't that many alternates out in the Pacific.

Focusing on just part of IFR training, rather than all of it, just because you are going somewhere where weather isn't typically a problem is severely myopic. You NEED the full toolbox because you just don't know what tools you may need.

Again, that's not what I said. What I said was, I doubt I'll every fly into an airport that has ATC, much less IFR/ILS systems. I did not say the reason was because the weather will always be great. What I said about weather in the warm parts of the pacific ocean tend to be good from dusk to a few hours after dawn, and weather (as in puffy white clouds) form pretty much every day from late morning to late afternoon. Those "white puffy clouds" can create quite a bit of turbulence nearby, even when you're not in them. And when one of those white puffy clouds lets loose a downpour, well, you obviously don't want to under the sucker at that time, spelled "pouring rain". But unlike back east where it can rain non-stop for days, I never saw that in Hawaii. Except for rare exceptions, which were predicted by weather forecasts, rain like that fell under the white puffy cloud, and the white puffy cloud would wander on its way in whatever direction it wishes, leaving the same spot that was in downpour 5 minutes before, now with no rain. To be sure, exceptions occur, but that's how it worked when I lived for 16 years.

BTW, since the weather in the entire region near the east coast is very different from "out west", I would expect weather patterns in the caribbean to be different too. But I won't be going back east ever again, or to the caribbean. One problem with flying ATC/IFR/ILS is... pilots are expected to go where they are told by ATC, when ATC says. Your example just reinforces my general policy that I want to make my own decisions, not be led around by some ATC jerk who lies to you and then essentially directs you to crash into the ground in a pouring rainstorm. Glad you made it. But I'd rather avoid being killed by someone else... like that ATC jerk you mentioned. I'd rather be killed by my own mistake... or not be killed at all because I'm not pressured or told to do something stupid by an "authority".

BTW what was the "minimums" you spoke of? I assume that means your AGL when you decide to abort the landing unless you see the runway. But how high is that? Just curious. I sure as hell don't want to fly the pipistrel into those conditions, most especially nowhere near the ground, but not even high up in the sky. You won't catch me flying into a lightning storm! Something truly bizarre would need to happen to trap me into a situation like that.

I'm 100% for anything that helps me keep the plane stable in IMC, but what you described near the ATC/IFR/ILS airport is not on my list of plans or desires! Even if I wanted to participate in those activities, it appears to be a simple fact that the airports where I will want to land for fuel are not ATC/IFR/ILS airports, and not even remotely near one.

Now that I'm finding ways to shorten most of the legs of my journey, I will have sufficient fuel to visit several to many islands in search of good landing conditions. That's a very pleasant second advantage to shortening each leg... the other being no need to sit quite so insanely long. But just imagine how much better my odds are if I have sufficient fuel to visit 5, 10 or even 15 islands if necessary to find one where I can land without danger. I'd much rather do that than try to land in terrible conditions like those you described. Even if I was the best IFR pilot on the planet, I'd still worry the featherweight pipistrel would be destroyed or tossed around like a feather in terrible, violent conditions. As others have pointed out, the pipistrel is not a strong, hefty flying hunk of iron. It is more like a leaf in the wind, and thus not suitable for flying into thunderstorms! Or so I believe.

I don't doubt your anecdotal information at all, or the equivalent from other folks. I just notice potentially important differences. Like, for example, you probably had to get to that airport (and maybe even not too terribly late on a schedule of some kind). In contrast, I can just go to another island, or fly around until the rain cloud moves away, or maybe even land in a lawn or on a sandbar on the other side of the island. Some of these options are not available to larger or faster airplanes. Just saying.

Not that flying the pipistrel doesn't have downsides that most other airplanes don't. I have to assume the pipistrel gets blown around like a feather in gusty winds, and I have no idea whether what the odds would be to fly one of those suckers into a lightning storm cloud. I can just imagine the tail or wings being ripped off. So even if my options or the pipistrel has some advantages... it also has some very real disadvantages in certain situations. In fact, I figure what I need to do most of all is find ways to totally avoid those situations at all costs, not pretend more training can make the airplane survive what it actually cannot survive... no matter who is at the controls.

In other words, I basically agree with those folks who have said something like "you're insane to fly such a lightweight machine over such large distances of ocean". If I had to fly the pipistrel in conventional ways... like on schedules or to specific airports no matter what... I figure I wouldn't last 6 months. I'm not saying I shouldn't be prepared to get my butt out of every bad situation that can occur, but I don't think that is sufficient or the optimal plan. The optimal approach must be to keep my butt out of bad situations... or at the very least, the worst situations. Then hopefully whatever more skills I can acquire can help me survive the merely modestly bad situations I still manage to get into. At least that's the plan at the moment. Maybe as I learn more, I'll decide other approaches are better. We shall see.

If I have learned one thing in my 62 years, it is that if someone has to use 200 words when 20 will suffice they are using those words in more of an effort to convince themselves than to convince anyone else.

Pitts Off

Not sure of the systems that run insturments on your planned plane. Vacuum driven? Wet or dry? Electric driven?? What is the autopilot slaved to?? Unfortunately vacuum driven instruments don’t fail by being covered up by a sticky note. They fail slowly..the instruments dependent on that system fail slowly. If autopilot slaved to a vacuum driven HSI and the pump starts go... alternators go and with a heavy electrically driven panel you get in big trouble in a hurry.

To do the flights you propose everything and one has the be working 100% IMHO. Problem With avaiation is that often we or the equipment isn’t 100% for 100% of the time. For low risk low level operation, we can get ourselves out of trouble when the crap hits the fan and worst case is a fun story in “lessons learned” to post and get the PoA treatment about it!! lol!!

I don’t think anybody is trying to be a penis to crush dreams. But most of us here read a lot about aviation we read a lot, possibly too much, about accidents. There are common threads in a lot of the accidents we read about and the concerning thing for us is that a lot of what is written in this thread has echoes of what we have read about before. That’s all. I for one read a lot about accidents as a learning experience.

My current plan is to have two 10" Dynon Skyview HDX displays, plus all the Dynon avioncs that backs that up. Actually, I listed the names and part numbers for pretty much all the avionics on the very first message in this thread, so you can go take a gander at that message. Hopefully you can guess from that, and if you want more details on any element, click on the component you want to examine on this page: http://www.dynonavionics.com/skyview-system.php . The display is at the upper left of that page, and all the other components are lower down the page... click on any component to read more detailed information. I'm not the guy to tell you about these avionics, since all the airplanes I ever flew were basically six or eight round dials and a bunch of toggle or rocker switches. Hopefully you can easily learn anything you want to know from that page, or those pages.

I do know the electronics are pretty much all digital now, but I also realize the sensors could be based on just about anything... with a digital interface tacked onto the back end. I think these are fairly up-to-date avionics systems, but who knows, maybe multi-million dollar airplanes have superior sensor systems.

To save you a tiny bit of effort, I copy the list of avionics immediately below:

- 2 * Dynon Skyview HDX displays (SV-HDX1000).
- 1 * Dynon ADAHRS (SV-ADAHRS-200).
- 2 * Dynon communications transceiver with 25.00KHz and 8.33KHz channel spacing (SV-COM-X83).
- 1 * Dynon dual stereo intercom panel (SV-INTEERCOM-2S).
- 1 * Dynon mode-s transponder with ADS-B out (SV-XPNDR-261).
- 1 * Dynon dual band ADS-B in receiver (SV-ADSB-472).
- 2 * Dynon autopilot servos (SV62).
- 1 * Dynon AOA / pitot tube with heater and controller (100667-000).
- 1 * Dynon WAAS enabled GPS receiver and antenna (SV-GPS-2020).
- 2 * Dynon unknown-to-me antennas for above.

Oh, that reminds me. Do I need the com radios with both 25.00KHz and 8.33KHz if I never fly within Europe? I read several articles but came away totally confused about whether these two-scheme switchable com radios are necessary anywhere but Europe. As you see, the autopilot operates the airplane through servos. What is an HSI ???

LOL. I like. I won't be going along for the ride, however.

JR outright lies about what I say. Ignore JR, or go read how he/she totally twists what I say into the exact opposite or rather close to the exact opposite.

I spend a fair bit of time in Hilo. I want to know when these predictable weather periods happen so you can know what the weather will be like in 12 hours. Honestly, you’d need to leave California so that you could arrive Hilo early in the morning for the best weather opportunities. So add night to the trans-Pacific VFR dream.

If you end up in IMC, you’ll need more experience than just the rating will give you. The variety may not seem relevant, but it will help you anyway. That said, others here are completely correct about how uncomfortable a Pipistrel is likely to be especially say in night IMC. The same things that make it a great motorglider option are going to make it a bear to fly IMC in a thunderstorm.

Frankly, I'm not sure the pipistrel would even hold together in a violent thunderstorm. I don't expect experience to help if the tail or wings are torn off inside a violent thunderstorm. This is yet another reason that my default plan was to avoid trouble more than prepare for it. Not that I don't want to prepare for whatever is worth preparing for, but due to the fact the pipistrel is more like a feather that can be thrown about by violent winds than a sturdy, powerful hunk of iron that just drives right on through such conditions. To say "uncomfortable" seems like a major understatement to me.

Last edited:
I spend a fair bit of time in Hilo. I want to know when these predictable weather periods happen so you can know what the weather will be like in 12 hours. Honestly, you’d need to leave California so that you could arrive Hilo early in the morning for the best weather opportunities. So add night to the trans-Pacific VFR dream.

I did describe the weather patterns. However, the first and smartest move is not to land at Hilo if the weather is bad, but instead keep flying through the gap between Mauna Kea and Mauna Loa and land at Kona, which is the dry side of the island. Obviously the dry (west and southwest) sides of all the islands have much better weather. And that's where I lived (Wailea on Maui), so that's where most of my experience comes from. You're right that the weather on the east and northeast sides of the Hawaiian islands can be much worse. I should have mentioned that, I just forgot. Thanks for raising that point.

This raises a point I should mention for folks who don't know how the Hawaiian islands work. Take for example the road from Kihei, Maalaea, Wailuku or Kahului to Lahaina for example. A little over half way while driving along the coastline the annual rainfall is about 5 to 10 inches per year, while literally only 4 to 5 miles away out your passenger window the annual rainfall is over 400 inches. Think about that for a second. The weather is overwhelmingly and primarily a function of location, and secondarily a function of what time of day (clearest and least rainy from about dusk/sunset to 2 or 3 hours after sunrise). So while you drive along the coastline it is almost always clear and sunny, while 4~5 miles away it is usually cloudy and often raining like crazy. Just try to find ANYWHERE on the mainland USA even remotely like that! Good luck. Come to think of it, probably the most similar one can find is where I got my pilot training, in Monterey, California (and various other places along the pacific coast). For most of summer the fog is thick as a brick, and pushes up against the coastline and almost to the Monterey airport. While now and then the fog manages to get to the west end of the runway, it rarely gets to the other end. I know this too sounds hilarious to people back east... I never saw anything remotely like these situations back east. Maybe they exist, though I doubt it. While the fog/sunshine in Monterey is rather fun and funny, the sunshine vs pouring rain on the way to Lahaina is a truly astonishing. While weather patterns everywhere on the islands is not as crazy as this, they are rather predictable in terms of location. I wouldn't be surprised if the rain in Hilo is 10 or 20 times greater than ~50 miles away in Kona, or 40 miles away in Waimea.

My point is, there truly are weather phenomenon that are quite predictable, even years in advance.

Which means, what is more important than arrival time is... which airport you want to land at. Nonetheless, arrival time is important in Hawaii. Best time to arrive is between sunset and early morning. So if you don't like flying most of the trip at night, to arrive just before or after sunset works too... especially if you have one more gallon of gasoline so you can fly over Hilo on your descent to Kona.

Last edited:
If I have learned one thing in my 62 years, it is that if someone has to use 200 words when 20 will suffice they are using those words in more of an effort to convince themselves than to convince anyone else.

Pitts Off

I don't convince myself of anything. I let reality convince me. That's how science works and that's how honesty works.

Good luck with your notion that everyone functions the same, so you can know everything you need to know by simplistic measures like how many words people write.

Last edited:
Again, that's not what I said.

I didn't say you said anything. I was just trying to pass on that weather isn't always what you expect it to be and that sometimes there just aren't any good alternates for a VFR pilot.

What I said was, I doubt I'll every fly into an airport that has ATC, much less IFR/ILS systems. I did not say the reason was because the weather will always be great. What I said about weather in the warm parts of the pacific ocean tend to be good from dusk to a few hours after dawn, and weather (as in puffy white clouds) form pretty much every day from late morning to late afternoon.

You say "tend to be". That is a qualifier. Quite different than "always". And just because an airport does not have an ILS doesn't mean that the weather can't be bad, or not as forecast.

Your example just reinforces my general policy that I want to make my own decisions, not be led around by some ATC jerk who lies to you and then essentially directs you to crash into the ground in a pouring rainstorm. Glad you made it. But I'd rather avoid being killed by someone else... like that ATC jerk you mentioned. I'd rather be killed by my own mistake... or not be killed at all because I'm not pressured or told to do something stupid by an "authority".

Oh my God. You think ATC LIED to me? Jeez. It was an unforecast rain shower that moved in and the ATIS had not been updated. You seem to be under the delusion that everyone is out to get you and you can only trust in yourself.

BTW what was the "minimums" you spoke of? I assume that means your AGL when you decide to abort the landing unless you see the runway. But how high is that?

200 feet for an ILS, 250 and up for RNAV.

I'm 100% for anything that helps me keep the plane stable in IMC, but what you described near the ATC/IFR/ILS airport is not on my list of plans or desires! Even if I wanted to participate in those activities, it appears to be a simple fact that the airports where I will want to land for fuel are not ATC/IFR/ILS airports, and not even remotely near one.

You are giving the impression that weather only affects the airports that only have ATC/IFR/ILS. Weather is even more critical at non towered fields.

thus not suitable for flying into thunderstorms!

NOTHING is suitable for flying into thunderstorms. We go to GREAT lengths to avoid that.

The rest isn't worth commenting on.

I think if you realistically analyze this project, once you have done all the research, you will find it is highly unlikely that you will attempt this journey. But I wish you luck anyway.

Last edited:
Max, one thing you might consider when you get to the islands. Most of these islands only have one airport. And if they have airline service, they will have instrument approaches. Granted, most of them will be RNAV approaches, but I digress.

Also, I am pretty safe in saying that they are all volcanic in nature. The point is, landing on a road and taxiing up to a gas pump is highly unlikely. When you do your research, figure out where the gas is going to come from and how you will get it to the plane.

Research research research.

I see that about some of your posts also.

A couple examples, if you don't mind. I did notice I accidentally oversimplified about weather in Hawaii, and may have implied weather conditions in Hilo are the same as Kona and everywhere else on a Hawaiian island. That was an oversight, and I clarified that mistake at length. If you think you see lies, please point out at least a couple.

Max, one thing you might consider when you get to the islands. Most of these islands only have one airport. And if they have airline service, they will have instrument approaches. Granted, most of them will be RNAV approaches, but I digress.

Also, I am pretty safe in saying that they are all volcanic in nature. The point is, landing on a road and taxiing up to a gas pump is highly unlikely. When you do your research, figure out where the gas is going to come from and how you will get it to the plane.

Research research research.

Yes, lots of research ahead of me. No question about that. A great many islands have airports or airstrips but apparently no airline service... at least as far as I can determine so far. I don't know how you can be certain every island that has even a small local inter-island shuttle flight (within the island group) necessarily has instrument approaches. I would find that extraordinary. For sure many of those airports only have a couple small buildings, and very, very few have a tower. If what you mean by "airline service" is international airports, then that makes sense... though I did see one or two international airports that were amazingly simple and tiny.

Sure, I doubt there are many islands where I could land and roll up to a gas station pump. But that's not a huge problem in most cases, I'll just rent a car and go fetch the gasoline myself... or hire a cab to do so... or call the gas station and ask whether they'd haul the fuel to the airport. As I said elsewhere, it may take a lot of research to figure out which islands have gas stations [that sell unleaded premium fuel]. But I'll get there. And better to feed good lead-free fuel to my engine, especially ethanol free, which I gather is common outside the USSA.

You say "tend to be". That is a qualifier. Quite different than "always". And just because an airport does not have an ILS doesn't mean that the weather can't be bad, or not as forecast.

Yes, tends to be. But in the case of the west and southwest sides of the Hawaiian islands, "tends" means well over 95%. Probably more like 98% or 99%.

Oh my God. You think ATC LIED to me? Jeez. It was an unforecast rain shower that moved in and the ATIS had not been updated. You seem to be under the delusion that everyone is out to get you and you can only trust in yourself.

That's what your message sounded like to me. Maybe I misunderstand something. To me, ATC are people (controllers) in the tower AT an airport. They can see the runway, which means they damn well know whether it is raining like a pig, and whether the bottom of the clouds are closer to 2000 feet or 200 feet. How could they not know this kind of very obvious information that is right in front of their faces? I don't understand how they could be so wrong without lying or just not bothering to look at their freaking window (which is incredible malfeasance).

Frankly, if what constitutes ATC/IFR/ILS systems at tower airports contains such out-of-date information... and then ATC doesn't tell landing pilots what are the conditions just before each airplane lands, that impresses me as grossly irresponsible! If that's how ATC/IFR/ILS/controllers work, I have even less interest in ATC/IFR/ILS than before. Yikes!

You are giving the impression that weather only affects the airports that only have ATC/IFR/ILS. Weather is even more critical at non towered fields.

I have no idea where you get the impression I believe airports with ATC/IFR/ILS or towers have better or worse weather conditions. The only thing I said that might remotely lead to such an interpretation is where I said there seem to be dozens of airports without ATC/IFR/ILS for every one that does have ATC/IFR/ILS. One consequence of that is... a pilot might have 10 or 15 or 20 airports within reach with his remaining fuel, but only 1 or 0 airport with ATC/IFR/ILS equipment. And so, the chances a pilot will find reasonable weather at one or more of the 10 or 15 or 20 airports without ATC/IFR/ILS is much (or infinitely) greater than the chances he will find reasonable weather at the 1 or 0 airport with ATC/IFR/ILS. But if that's not what caused this confusion, I don't know what did.

NOTHING is suitable for flying into thunderstorms. We go to GREAT lengths to avoid that.

Well, someone talked about flying into thunderstorms, and how I should have IFR training to deal with that. Personally, I want nothing to do with that!

I think if you realistically analyze this project, once you have done all the research, you will find it is highly unlikely that you will attempt this journey. But I wish you luck anyway.

Possibly. Too early to tell, but my guess today is slightly on the other side. But IF I come to the conclusion you suspect, I hope that happens before 10 weeks before airplane delivery, because after than I can't cancel the "extreme range tanks" option... which costs $23,000 that I would rather not waste!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back