What do i need to know about *building* a new experimental plane

WannFly

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Priyo
just kicking the tires here, since WX has been either IFR or low IFR for past several days.

mission:

• Some times in long XC i would like to go a little faster if i can
  • 4 seater and the hauling capacity that comes with it, probably would never fill the 4rth seat
  • fly for pleasure. not sure how far i want to go, but lets say 1000 NM
  • No, not going to cross the pond or fly to mars.
i was looking at RV 10 and at the face of it it looks sweet. from what i can tell, with very limited research, one can build one in about 150K with latest and greatest glass, IFR GPS and all bells and whistles with a 260 horse Lycoming IO540 engine.

obviously, I have to think long and hard before jumping in to a project that will potentially last 3-5 years before i can fly that thing, but my biggest Question is .. where do i start? i have been reading some forums and watching some YT videos, not even sure if i can build the thing in the first place.

so first time builders.. where and how did you start?

You start by answering the eternal question: do you want to build one for the economical advantage, or do you want to fly one for the economical advantage?

I am biased, I started my trip by answering the former "yes", then realized I could buy the parts already assembled for nearly the same price, and am wholeheartedly a "yes" to the latter question. I have done enough modifying of the assembled airplane to scratch my builder's itch.

I know you emphasized building, but I still think some serious thought is in order.

1000nm? Don’t you mean 1852 km?

Seriously though, I’ve always wanted a lancair but I can’t stand working with fiberglass...so if I ever build I’d have to either build something metal or wood/fabric.

You start by answering the eternal question: do you want to build one for the economical advantage, or do you want to fly one for the economical advantage?

I am biased, I started my trip by answering the former "yes", then realized I could buy the parts already assembled for nearly the same price, and am wholeheartedly a "yes" to the latter question. I have done enough modifying of the assembled airplane to scratch my builder's itch.

I know you emphasized building, but I still think some serious thought is in order.

my answer to that is yes and hell yeah, i am little handy, bu thats about it. building a whole darn plane sounds like an insurmountable task. i have no experience modifying planes, but i am fairly good at taking thing apart .... and usually end up with more than few screws when i put them together :p

Figure out how much time you have to build... figure out how long it will take you to finish the plane... then triple that. You can shorten the time considerably, at substantial extra cost, by going the quick build route. Or, watch for someone selling their partially complete project. That can work out well IF the workmanship is there. Prebuy is important, just as it is for a complete and flying airplane.

If you're thinking about an RV-10, then obviously you will want to hang out on VAF. Plenty of help there from people who have actually done it and are doing it.

I'll echo @catmandu and add: If you want to build, build. If you want to fly, buy. There's lots of words out there about how anyone can build an RV but it you're not particularly mechanically inclined it can be a lot harder, especially as complexity increases (like a fancy glass panel). Read up on some of the Vans' forums and learn to filter reality from "yer gonna die if you don't do it my way!"

If I were starting from scratch now I'd find a -10 (in your case) and get a ride and a detailed tour of the airframe - I'd travel if I had to (and I did). If that all looked feasible I'd order the digital plans from Vans and make sure I could read and understand them, then take a sheet metal class if I didn't already know how to rivet. *Then* I'd think about ordering the first kit.

Nauga,
and 12,000 rivets with 24,000 holes and 48,000 sides to debur

PS... Three years of cleco, match drill, remove, debur, dimple, cleco, rivet, repeat is why the airplane I'm building now is made of wood. Some people never get tired of that... I sure do.

I built and fly an RV10 and it’s been one of the best decisions I’ve made in my flying life. It’s an exceptional design and mature kit. You can’t trust a thing I say to be objective.

If you want to build and fly a traveling cruiser, this is the right plane. You have to enjoy the time and effort to build it and it’s too much plane not to fly lots of cross country, with an IR.

I’m an old RCer and otherwise pretty handy with wood with some experience playing with composites. I learned sheet metal aircraft assembly in a week long tail building class which turned out to teach me all I needed to do the kit. I also did a weekend in a RV10 composite class. Then I spent 5 years to the month from class to first flight including paint and panel. I was employed full time and flying a Maule during the build.

After 1,000 hours of flying, what can I share with you?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Do you want a metal build or a composite build? That's question one.

If metal - RV10
If composite - Lancair (standard config) or Velocity (Canard pusher) Both are, to choose a word, BITCHIN!

Now then, if you're going to go RV, get on VAF and poke around, and order the tool box kit. That will help you decide if you got the skillz and patience to do a full up build.

Last edited:
As much as I like the Velocity, I am going to vote for the RV10. There’s a lot of folks flying the Vans line of aircraft, they have a forum for support, and they also have a center they’ve patterned with in Oregon that I think can help you build your aircraft.

Plus, after working on the plane, you’ll know where all the nooks and crannies are in the plane to stuff fuel bladders to help you with that 1852nm VFR flight across open ocean. ;) (Just kidding... sort of. Seems that in the Vans RV forum, there are folks that have fitted extended range tanks...)

What do you need to know? It isn't a short term commitment. You're talking years upon years - there are people who have built something in less than a year, but for most people it's at least three years and some take as long as 15. Be very, very aware of this. Building is about building and not about flying. You should like working with tools, solving puzzles and producing something for your work in order to enjoy building. Going into it because you want cheaper flying usually does not work.

From your specification list, it sound like maybe you're really interested in flying and maintaining an experimental, but not so much on building.

My list is different - Assuming I have the work space, and I won't start until I do -

All metal construction, tricycle gear
Supports "standard" engines, fadec desired
Fantastic builder support from the company
Kits desirable. As much as I want to build, I don't want to cut and bend, etc every piece.
Final plane should make at least 140 kts. For E-LSA, 120 kts is the max, but the aircraft really, really should get up to this speed. Topping out at 90 is not ok.
Ability to carry camping gear and a fold up bike is highly desirable.

Right now that's either an RV-9A or CH-650. But neither one is buildable. I'm willing to park my car on the street, but I don't have an extension cord that long.

Choose what you want. Establish that it meets the 51% rule or, if not, find a DAR and develop a 51% plan. Build it. Get it inspected. Go fly.

Make your best estimate for a money budget, then double it. Do the same for a labor hours budget, then triple it. Make sure you're comitted, because you'll be totally upside down financially so selling it isn't a good plan.

I'm a pretty handy guy, and went through the same analysis. I love building stuff and I have a perfectionist streak in me. In the end, the best decision for me was to buy a completed E-AB. I did lots of my own work, saved money, and enjoyed the heck out of it.

I firmly believe if I would have bought a kit I'd have been one of those guys selling a partially built kit for pennies on the dollar. The time commitment is huge, and I think I would not have been able to make it over the long haul.

Do you want a metal build or a composite build? That's question one.

If metal - RV10
If composite - Lancair (standard config) or Velocity (Canard pusher) Both are, to choose a word, BITCHIN!

Now then, if you're going to go RV, get on VAF and poke around, and order the tool box kit. That will help you decide if you got the skillz and patience to do a full up build.

I intend to order the tool box kit and find out the hard way if I am even capable of doing this.

I built and fly an RV10 and it’s been one of the best decisions I’ve made in my flying life. It’s an exceptional design and mature kit. You can’t trust a thing I say to be objective.

If you want to build and fly a traveling cruiser, this is the right plane. You have to enjoy the time and effort to build it and it’s too much plane not to fly lots of cross country, with an IR.

I’m an old RCer and otherwise pretty handy with wood with some experience playing with composites. I learned sheet metal aircraft assembly in a week long tail building class which turned out to teach me all I needed to do the kit. I also did a weekend in a RV10 composite class. Then I spent 5 years to the month from class to first flight including paint and panel. I was employed full time and flying a Maule during the build.

After 1,000 hours of flying, what can I share with you?

Thanks for sharing Bill and expect a lot of dumb questions. I am poking around in VAF and watching a series of videos created by a builder Jason Ellis. Didn’t think about the composite option Rob mentioned below, so I will add to my research.

I'm a pretty handy guy, and went through the same analysis. I love building stuff and I have a perfectionist streak in me. In the end, the best decision for me was to buy a completed E-AB. I did lots of my own work, saved money, and enjoyed the heck out of it.

I firmly believe if I would have bought a kit I'd have been one of those guys selling a partially built kit for pennies on the dollar. The time commitment is huge, and I think I would not have been able to make it over the long haul.

Hmm something Definitely to think about... I have a full time job and if the weather is good , I am flying. A completed one makes...

You can build on days that you can’t fly. You can build on days that you don’t have anywhere to fly to. You can have a beer while you are building. If you build at home, you can build a little before supper or whenever you have a moment, with no time overhead like going to the airport and doing a preflight.

The saying is, if you build a plane, you build for 2,000 hours, then buy an engine, and then you get to go flying. If you buy a plane, you fly it for 2,000 hours, then buy an engine (overhaul), and then you get to keep flying.

I am building an RV-14 tail dragger in my basement. I am doing it for a few reasons. One is that you literally cannot buy an equivalent airplane. One is that I have an A&P friend who helps out sometimes. And one is that I have entirely too much time on my hands.

One tip: Make sure you have a friend who can help buck rivets from time to time. There are some that you can’t reach both sides of on your own, and some that are just a lot easier with help. This is mostly a time saving issue. Watch Bob Doty’s solo RV-14 build on YouTube, especially the tail cone section, for an example of how much time goes into driving some of the rivets by yourself. I bet that Jason Ellis’s excellent videos will show similar struggles but I haven’t watched his tail cone videos.

By the way, watch Jason Ellis’s “why to build” video. He has a good reason, which doesn’t apply to everyone but is helping me: You can buy things as you go and spend your money more gradually than if you buy a plane. He wanted a Cirrus and ended up building an RV-10.

Definitely be sure you have the kind of long-term patience that building requires. As a litigator, I start lawsuits every week of my life (or nearly so) and some of them take years to finish. I think my record was a little over 8 years from start to finish. So having a project at home that may take 5 or even 15 years (I met an RV-7 builder on a pilots and paws flignt who took 15) to complete is just another log on the fire for me. For people who don’t have that mindset (example: almost all of my clients!) and can’t handle being patient for such a project, building is probably unwise.

I built my RV-6 about the time Nauga built his RV-4. I'm about 95% of the way through an RV-10 now. I enjoy building because it gives me something to do in the evenings.

I can tell you that the basic -10 kit goes together quickly through when all of the aluminum construction is finished. It bogs down when you get to the fiberglass- the top, doors, wheelpants, cowling, etc. Of course, I'm taking the fiberglass to the point where it is paint ready - the painter won't have much at all to do. Finishing fiberglass to a high standard is a lot of work with my skill level.

The -10 should be a great 3+1 cross country airplane for us.

On the other hand, you can get a really nice Bo or a couple of nice Comanches for the same cost.

Regarding your question of where to start, building the toolbox project will help you get comfortable with basic metal work. As to getting started on the airplane itself, Vans has that figured out for you, since the first sub kit you will order is the empennage. If you find that building is not for you afterward, you can usually unload this first kit fairly easily. If you are like most of us RV builders, however, you’ll be hooked and you will have a blast building your airplane.

Enjoy the journey!

You can build on days that you can’t fly. You can build on days that you don’t have anywhere to fly to. You can have a beer while you are building. If you build at home, you can build a little before supper or whenever you have a moment, with no time overhead like going to the airport and doing a preflight.

The saying is, if you build a plane, you build for 2,000 hours, then buy an engine, and then you get to go flying. If you buy a plane, you fly it for 2,000 hours, then buy an engine (overhaul), and then you get to keep flying.

I am building an RV-14 tail dragger in my basement. I am doing it for a few reasons. One is that you literally cannot buy an equivalent airplane. One is that I have an A&P friend who helps out sometimes. And one is that I have entirely too much time on my hands.

One tip: Make sure you have a friend who can help buck rivets from time to time. There are some that you can’t reach both sides of on your own, and some that are just a lot easier with help. This is mostly a time saving issue. Watch Bob Doty’s solo RV-14 build on YouTube, especially the tail cone section, for an example of how much time goes into driving some of the rivets by yourself. I bet that Jason Ellis’s excellent videos will show similar struggles but I haven’t watched his tail cone videos.

By the way, watch Jason Ellis’s “why to build” video. He has a good reason, which doesn’t apply to everyone but is helping me: You can buy things as you go and spend your money more gradually than if you buy a plane. He wanted a Cirrus and ended up building an RV-10.

Definitely be sure you have the kind of long-term patience that building requires. As a litigator, I start lawsuits every week of my life (or nearly so) and some of them take years to finish. I think my record was a little over 8 years from start to finish. So having a project at home that may take 5 or even 15 years (I met an RV-7 builder on a pilots and paws flignt who took 15) to complete is just another log on the fire for me. For people who don’t have that mindset (example: almost all of my clients!) and can’t handle being patient for such a project, building is probably unwise.

i like Jason's thought process, and i would love to own and fly a SR-22, but i dont have the money for it :p. performance wise its comparable and at 1/4 the cost and i like the idea of getting at least the air frame paid off by the time you are getting close to putting the engine which is a big one time blow. I have to figure out a lot of logistics, i can build in the garage and keep the car outside, but that would suck in winter, then at some point things will just get too big and i have to move to the hangar and then eventually it will get bigger to a point where i wont be able to fit both at the same time in one hangar. lots to think about.

b/w dumb question.. do you get some sort of POH with RV-10 or do you test fly and come up with your own numbers? i saw some numbers online, i am unsure if that was specific to that plane or something you get from Vans and as long as you stick to their design, you are good?

b/w dumb question.. do you get some sort of POH with RV-10 or do you test fly and come up with your own numbers? i saw some numbers online, i am unsure if that was specific to that plane or something you get from Vans and as long as you stick to their design, you are good?
Vans has no idea what engine, prop, avionics, etc. you will put in your airplane. You might find performance estimates but you'll have to come up with numbers for your airplane. That's part of the fun of it.

Nauga,
who wrote a freakin' book

A lot of good advice here. If you want to build you can’t beat an RV the only thing I’ll add is you will need someone else to help do a lot of the riveting. Don’t worry about messing up. Vans will sell you replacement parts.

...and i like the idea of getting at least the air frame paid off by the time you are getting close to putting the engine which is a big one time blow. I have to figure out a lot of logistics, i can build in the garage and keep the car outside, but that would suck in winter, then at some point things will just get too big and i have to move to the hangar and then eventually it will get bigger to a point where i wont be able to fit both at the same time in one hangar. lots to think about....

The firewall forward portion of the build, plus the avionics are >60% of the overall cost. That's the point that puts the occasional of RV-10 project on the market. A guy builds the airframe and realizes that completing the project is more than he can afford.

I will say that you can build the whole thing in a one car garage as long as you have storage space somewhere for completed components. You build the flying surfaces and store them. Then you build the fuselage, put it on gear, mount the engine, and install the engine systems, prop, and avionics. You can fit/rig the flying surfaces with the airplane sitting in the driveway or once the airplane is at the airport.

A lot of good advice here. If you want to build you can’t beat an RV the only thing I’ll add is you will need someone else to help do a lot of the riveting. Don’t worry about messing up. Vans will sell you replacement parts.

Of the 5000 (?) hours I've spent building 1.9 RV's, I'd say I've needed a hundred hours of help. Certainly, more help would have speeded up the process, but a second pair of hands is only needed occasionally. Relatively speaking, the -10 requires more help than the -6 did, but that is because the assemblies are larger and harder to handle by yourself.

One thing that will happen is a lot of frustration, followed by a lot of excitement. It’s kind of like heroin, with huge highs and huge lows.

Here was tonight’s high, putting the tailcone onto the front fuselage. Also visible is an earlier low, when we had to scuff out a scratch in the side skin that it somehow acquired through the protective film along the long road between uncrating, priming, dimpling, and clecoing. So now I absolutely do have to pick a paint scheme, since the polished look is out.

816DB477-BD6B-43B1-AB36-D457C6733AE6.jpeg

do you get some sort of POH with RV-10 or do you test fly and come up with your own numbers? i saw some numbers online, i am unsure if that was specific to that plane or something you get from Vans and as long as you stick to their design, you are good?

Go to Vans Air Force, and on the homepage to the left, scroll down to "POH." Lots of PDFs and Word docs from those who have gone before, to serve as a starting point.

You can scan other POHs to get an idea of ballpark numbers, but as Nauga said, half the fun is finding out the V-speeds, etc. for your aircraft.

so first time builders.. where and how did you start?

You start with deciding that you want to build. For me I wanted a new plane, that I knew everything about and was completely customized to my preferences. I heard great things about the RV-10 from a buddy who owned one and my hangar neighbor across from me and I also had two RV's Did some light research and ended up ordering a CD of the plans. From there I justified getting the empennage kit, it was I think around $4K and if I decided I didn't like it I knew I could sell it and move on.

That was the start... It's full of fun, frustration, confusion, anger, blood, sweat... maybe tears. I wouldn't go so far to say 'anyone' can do it, but anyone can start. You'll learn very quickly if building is for you.

As to getting started on the airplane itself, Vans has that figured out for you, since the first sub kit you will order is the empennage.
The irony there is that some of the thinnest metal and most difficult access for riveting/bucking is on the tail - but even for a beginner it's manageable, especially if you take time to practice on scrap; and if you really bugger it up replacement parts are cheaper. :D

Nauga,
who still keeps a scrap box of all the parts he trasheds.

One thing that will happen is a lot of frustration, followed by a lot of excitement. It’s kind of like heroin, with huge highs and huge lows.

Here was tonight’s high, putting the tailcone onto the front fuselage. Also visible is an earlier low, when we had to scuff out a scratch in the side skin that it somehow acquired through the protective film along the long road between uncrating, priming, dimpling, and clecoing. So now I absolutely do have to pick a paint scheme, since the polished look is out.

View attachment 69462

Wow that looks awesome. How long have you been building?

Wow that looks awesome. How long have you been building?
Thanks. I started in late January 2018. I did the empennage and then the fuselage. Most people do the empennage and then wings. With the other kits, that order makes more sense because the longerons for the fuselage come with the wing kit, packed with the spars. The RV-14 uses multiple shorter longerons that can be shipped in normal crates with the kits they belong to. I want to get the fuselage done so I can work on wiring or on the engine plumbing simultaneously with working on the wings.

My goal is to fly it in the spring. My more conservative goal is to fly it in “a” spring. :)

View attachment 69462
If I ever get around to building a plane (leaning toward Zenith 801 or 750 SD) I believe that I will have it wrapped. I've done too much painting in my time, and I'm too picky for my own good!

Thanks. I started in late January 2018. I did the empennage and then the fuselage. Most people do the empennage and then wings. With the other kits, that order makes more sense because the longerons for the fuselage come with the wing kit, packed with the spars. The RV-14 uses multiple shorter longerons that can be shipped in normal crates with the kits they belong to. I want to get the fuselage done so I can work on wiring or on the engine plumbing simultaneously with working on the wings.

My goal is to fly it in the spring. My more conservative goal is to fly it in “a” spring. :)
that's a fairly fast build compared to some I see that are 5-6 years or more and still going at it... did you do a quick build kit?

that's a fairly fast build compared to some I see that are 5-6 years or more and still going at it... did you do a quick build kit?
Slow build. And I didn't quit my job to do it, either. I'm not setting any records. Van's reports a builder doing a slow-build RV-6 from before they prepunched the holes for you in 85 days. Today is day 318 since I uncrated the empennage kit. But for what it's worth, here are my tips to build fast, most of which I was told before I started and am simply highlighting here with details from my experience:

1. Build at home. This is by far the biggest one. If you have to change clothes, go to the hangar, get all your tools out, work, put the tools away, go home, and change clothes again, you'll rarely bother to work on it. Since my plane is in my unfinished, walk-out basement, which is not used for anything other than storing junk and building an airplane, I can just walk down the stairs, turn on the lights and air compressor, and work. No time overhead at all. if I have 5 minutes with nothing to do, I can spend all 5 of them building. If you work on it a little bit every day, you will be done faster than if you try to work on it all day but only one day a week, which turns into one day a month. And if you have small bits of progress every week by working a little bit almost every day, you will stay excited about it because of the tangible results. (My day job does not involve tangible results, so this hobby is really good to satisfy that need. If you build things for a living, your motivation to build something at home after work might be the opposite, like the cobbler's children who have no shoes.)

2. Get a helper. My friend who is helping me used to work at Quest and has over 100 of his babies (Kodiaks) flying out there in the wild. Having someone with that level of airplane building experience to help is great, but even if it were just another me (never worked with aluminum or set a rivet before in my life) it would save time to have a helper. You can build these planes almost entirely solo. However, the solo builders have to take time figuring out how to do some things that are trivial with a second set of hands.

3. If you prime, use Stewart Systems Ekoprime. It's water-based so you can spray it in your house or garage without fear of poisoning yourself or your pets. Plus it looks awesome. It doesn't stand up to acetone (ask how I know that...), but after it cures I have taken a piece of scrap (trim tab skin that I had messed up), stood on it with all my weight, and ground my boot into it for a few minutes. There was no noticeable damage to the primed skin. You can scratch it off with a bucking bar if you're not careful, but I'm not worried about the long-term resilience of the stuff at all.

I had previously included "don't prime" as a tip, but then I actually did the math from my build log spreadsheet. My logbook has 275 entries on 121 different days with a total of 274.3 hours. The items that mention priming were on 21 of those 121 days and 48.4 of those 274.3 hours, but most of those are "prep and prime" so the prep part (cutting, trimming, deburring) would have happened even if I didn't prime. Only 18% of my time is spent preparing and priming parts. The priming feels like a hassle every time my hand cramps up while scuffing the aluminum, but it really isn't slowing me down at all. Plus I can always prime parts solo on the days I am waiting for my helper to come over and buck some rivets.

4. Perfect is the enemy of good enough. Good example: I got a little run in the paint on my brake pedals. I could sand and repaint. I could strip and reprime and repaint. I could do a lot of things. But here's what I did instead: Nothing. I left them alone. I'm never going to be close enough to the brake pedals to see the minor surface imperfections. I'll mostly be stepping on them anyhow. There are at least 40,000 small battles (that's the best estimate of rivet count in the RV-14) and it would be stupid to lose the war by spending your whole life fighting a small battle that doesn't matter. The paint on the brake pedals is not the hill I am going to die on. I'm not trying to win any awards for perfection. I am just trying to build a safe, fun airplane. I'd rather spend my retirement (30+ years from now) flying an imperfect airplane than still building a perfect one.

5. Think about it all the time. I am constantly researching, thinking, planning, rethinking, etc. So when I walk down the stairs to the basement, I almost never have to waste a second trying to think of what to do next. I just know.

Another vote for the RV-10. For a short while I was considering a SLING 4, but am over that non-sense now. With the ER tip tanks and LOP it looks like it will do 1000, or you can open the tap and go from here in IN to AZ in about 8 hour plus a fuel stop or two. Most I can ever price out one is $130K, but planned on using the GRT cockpit. I was happy to see that one had just gone around the world and crossed from HI to CA, but they built it with 120 gal tanks (I think). For me I went to Oshkosh, bucket some rivets, helped a little with some owner maintenance on a local plane, and helped a little with a local build. Haven't made to jump to buy any tools or the tool box kit yet.

Technically, what Nauga said.

But, if you use the standard engine/prop and build the airframe as kitted, the performance numbers published by Vans will be on the mark and be slightly conservative if anything. Numbers generated by other builders that use the standard setup will be close to dead on.

Vans has a reputation for being straight; you can depend on their numbers performance wise.

OTOH, factory support is solid but thin (2006-11). Replacement kit parts are surprisingly cheap - you never need to worry about ruining parts.

The support within the builder community, delivered via the Web, is fantastic. That’s where the good stuff is as long as you are selective.

On the QB kit, there’s very little work that requires a helper. The tail cone is the main place.
b277cc2b270008a08f740be3cc58a691.jpeg

“Back riveting is more fun than bucking” says my number 1 partner.

The irony there is that some of the thinnest metal and most difficult access for riveting/bucking is on the tail - but even for a beginner it's manageable, especially if you take time to practice on scrap; and if you really bugger it up replacement parts are cheaper. :D

Nauga,
who still keeps a scrap box of all the parts he trasheds.

True enough.

But I have to say that I only trashed 2 parts on the whole build. The reason is solely due to spending a week at a no-longer-offered tail build class. It was like going to sheet metal and riveting college. Not only did I learn the basics but I learned a few ‘advanced’ techniques that directly applied to the RV-10 and those thin skinned, knuckle scrapping tight spots in the tail.

I left that class totally confident in my sheet metal skills relative to the RV10 build. What a boost!! If Vans is now offering something like that, I would take it.

As a old RC modeler, one of the anxieties I brought to the build was jigging and alignment. It’s one of those things I never felt confident with when building models. I just couldn’t imagine what would be required with a ‘real plane’.

The amazing part about CNC pre-drilled metal aircraft kits like the RVs is that there is virtually no jigging and very little alignment required. The tail parts, the tail cone, the wings; everything just snaps (clecos) together. No jigging, very little layout work or measuring is required. The main alignment task is getting wheel pants lined up with the rest of airframe. That was amazing to me.

Back