What do I need to keep track of as a new owner?

jd21476

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
jd21476
I recently purchased my first ‘new to me’ airplane and Im curious as to what I need to keep track of. I update my pilot log book with my flight hours but do I need to record anything in my engine, airframe, or propeller log book other than maintenance?

Track everything.

Except the costs. Whatever you do, do NOT track costs.
If you ignore this advice you will be on anti-depression chemicals for the remaining duration of your experiment in airplane ownership. ;)

I have an excel file which I use to track maintenance (life limited parts;
consumables; mn/pn/sn on everything; where to procure; due dates)
After a few years of tracking parts you can use it to predict their end of life or when servicing will be needed.

I track fuel burn and oil use, as well as tire pressure. I also keep a list of squawks.

Save your fuel receipts for a few months. A few years ago the fuel was contaminated a coal field (100LL mixed with some Jet A). The local fuel supplier bought new engines for everyone with a fuel receipt within a certain time period.

I also use an excel worksheet. Makes it pretty easy to stay on top of ADs, times, MX etc....

Save your fuel receipts for a few months. A few years ago the fuel was contaminated a coal field (100LL mixed with some Jet A). The local fuel supplier bought new engines for everyone with a fuel receipt within a certain time period.
Interesting. Would a line item on credit card statement have worked?

You and your mechanic will of course make necessary log book entries when you or they perform allowed or required maintenance.

As an owner, the airplane gotchas you should keep tabs on are your 24 month transponder check, your annual inspection due date, and your ELT battery expiration date. If an IFR pilot equipped with VOR, also your 30-day checks. Also keep a list of squawks that should be addressed at or before the next annual. I keep this info handy in a small notebook I keep in the flight bag. Or you could keep a list on your phone in Google Keep or such. You can also keep your medical, flight review and IPC dates in the same place if necessary. Your oil change time can be recorded on the fuel filter as a reminder each time you open the cowl. Or you can record that elsewhere as another reminder.

If you are anal about fuel consumption...not necessarily a bad trait...keep a record of time flown and fuel tanker at each fill up to get a good real world estimate of your fuel burn rate at typical cruise. For a 140-180 hp engine, take 2 gal off your fill up (for taxi and climb) and divide the remaining fuel by flight hours to get a good estimate of fuel flow. This is usually amazingly close to book for a stock engine.

I use a notebook that I leave in the plane to record tach times (start and end), Hobbs time (same, although I have no idea why my plane has a Hobbs), oil level, oil addition (if any) and fuel added for each flight. That way, I can track my oil consumption and I will cross enter from the logs oil changes, etc. so I can, at a glance know how many hours on the oil change, etc. if I wasn’t so lazy, I would set up a spreadsheet but that’s work. And yes I do keep gas receipts for a year.

ELT battery
IFR / transponder calibration
Annual
BFR
Medical

Make copies of all logs and store them as PDF.

You need to understand, in the maintenance logs, what items are due for inspection. Just because you're between annuals does not relieve you from doing a required inspection.

On my plane, as an example, certain hoses need inspection every 100 hours.

A properly inflated tire should thump like a nice ripe watermelon. If you didn’t know that, call your CFI and demand a refund.

Recurring ADs.

Track when your annual is due
Track your next oil change at 50 hours or whatever you use
Track your ELT battery due for change
Track your bi-annual flight review
Track your VOR check if required
Track your pitot/static check every two years
Track the best prices on oil and keep a case in stock
Track fly ins with nearby pilots
Track anything you know of that is coming due with your airplane. The oil, tires, etc are part of the pre-flight so I hope you are doing that before every flight.

Why do you track tire pressure?

Making sure I don’t have a leak starting. Just tracking my refill history actually. Same as oil burn (rather than just checking oil level, I record the level so I can track use/leakage).

Not sure if these were mentioned yet.

During a FSDO "review" the ASI was very happy with the logs but dinged me on 1 thing...total time on the prop. He said many owners think it's the A&P's responsibility but it's actually the owners responsibility to know the times of the engines and props. It was easily remedied.

Remember if you do your own work (that is allowed under part 43) to properly return it to service afterwards which includes a log entry with some specific wording, your pilot license type and number.

As said earlier, know your next AD. Example, in many of the older Cessnas there's a 100hr seat rail inspection AD that can easily happen before your next annual if you fly alot.

There are certain things you can install yourself (eg. Prometheus LED landing light). Ideally you would make a log book entry and refer to the PMA number. But don't confuse it even with something seemingly simple like Rosen Visors which are incredibly easy to install but require a 337 (?) by a IA to be done properly.

Although you didn't mention Weight & Balance there are times when you might install something that you are allowed to install such as a new/different battery. Unless it's identical there will be a weight change. At a minimum it's good to indicate the weight removed and weight installed in your log entry until you AP/IA can redo the W&B.

Many owners have one or two W&B sheets worked for options such as with wheel pants and without or with certain seats removed, etc.

We always track oil and fuel usage.

Many do oil analysis but not sure if they include it in the engine log or not when making the oil change entry.

Lots of great advice above. Talk to your mechanic. Did through the logbooks and find all the recurring items like you did for a checkride.

We have a whiteboard in the hanger with the big review items with tach time or date due. Oil, annual, pitot, elt, etc and any recurring ADs. Helps my plane partner and I not overlook anything.

Back