What did you guys wear to the checkride?

For all my rides I wore a nice button down shirt, slacks, and nice shoes. Now that I have my CFI ride coming up I'm thinking of adding a tie to the outfit. What did you guys wear?

For a CFI ride?

Definitely tie and a short sleeve shirt.

You should look like the examiner in the Sportys videos...

I'm getting whatever Sporty's has:

Attachments

• 9760_4.jpg
    9760_4.jpg
    138.7 KB · Views: 12
Thermal Underwear, Underwear, Cargo pants, Undershirt, Cotton polo, Sweatshirt, Windbreaker.

Why yes I took my checkride in January in New England in a plane with a nice fuel efficient Rotax engine (read: the heat don't work for crap), how could you tell?

On the plus side I got to preflight the plane without the added nerves of being watched over my shoulder.

I would assume that most people just wear what ever is most comfortable. Without a real heater or AC unit you need to dress for the flight.

(At least this is my admittedly limited experience with flying in New England, YMMV if you live in an area with less than 4 distinct seasons)

1976. The bicentennial year.

Yellow and black bell bottoms, a polyester skin tight shirt, maybe some platform in your shoes, and hair just touching your shoulders.

I've got a picture of me around here, somewhere, looking just like that.

(For you kids, that was the look Kelso was going for in "That 70s Show"...)
:)

OMG. I thought I was the only one who totally identified with that show.

I'm sure I wore a shirt and pants for all checkrides. Never a tie. Other than that it's not something I would think about or remember.

I'm going to wear my almost but not quite a millenial hat for a minute, and say that if the FAA examiner needs me to look like the guy from the Sporty's video for my CFI ride things are already not starting out on a good foot

I'm going to wear my almost but not quite a millenial hat for a minute, and say that if the FAA examiner needs me to look like the guy from the Sporty's video for my CFI ride things are already not starting out on a good foot

Truth

1976. The bicentennial year.

Yellow and black bell bottoms, a polyester skin tight shirt, maybe some platform in your shoes, and hair just touching your shoulders.

I've got a picture of me around here, somewhere, looking just like that.

(For you kids, that was the look Kelso was going for in "That 70s Show"...)

Not me! I had red, white and blue ones. It was the bicentennial year after all.

John

For all my rides I wore a nice button down shirt, slacks, and nice shoes. Now that I have my CFI ride coming up I'm thinking of adding a tie to the outfit. What did you guys wear?

PP I just got off work so I was still dressed in a white polo and blue slacks with a pair of deck shoes.

My last check ride I looked more like this::lol:

Mouthwash, too, and yes, I've had trainees who needed to be reminded on both points. The trick is telling your trainee this in an inoffensive yet effective manner.

Ron, how exactly do you "inoffensively" tell someone?

Matt, you can get those boots from Tony Lama or Cowtown in El Paso for $40 to $75 normally.

Have not taken mine yet. I am thinking two options.

1. A onesie and a diaper.
2. A tutu and high heels.

60225.jpg

Don't forget a hat.

I have that hat, and while it's great, I keep having prop strikes on my headset...

So far I have dressed the same for every checkride: t-shirt, jeans and ropers. If I wear anything dressier than a polo shirt, I feel out of place.

The DPE for my commercial checkride wore a t-shirt and shorts. His website specifically says not to dress up and says that he won't. He feels that if he dressed up, it can put more pressure on the student.

...how exactly do you "inoffensively" tell someone?.

Dan...at one time years ago we had a line guy at the "old FBO" that had morning breath that could knock a buzzard off a **** wagon. :eek:

One day..someone (not me) left a bottle of Scope in the line room with the guy's name on it. The poor kid was pretty embarrassed, but the message was received. Not exactly "inoffensive", but it did work.

:D

Jeans and a shirt. Different check rides were at different times of year. Might have been a t shirt, might have been sweatshirt or sweater. Might have been tennis shoes, might have been hiking boots.

I didn't dress for a check ride. I wore whatever I happened to put on that day. Did you order epaulettes for yours?

Stick with one onesie and diaper.

Probably too difficult to work the rudder with the high heels. :D

not to mention the fashion faux pas of heels rather than toe shoes....

Depends, if they have live Betas swimming around in them, the heels are ok.

I think that's only between Memorial day and Labor day but I could be thinking of something else...

I think that's only between Memorial day and Labor day but I could be thinking of something else...

That's when the ladies can wear the white Hooters tank tops for their checkrides. Otherwise they have to wear orange tank tops. Duh.

That's when the ladies can wear the white Hooters tank tops for their checkrides. Otherwise they have to wear orange tank tops. Duh.

Okay, I'll admit it...I just can't keep up with fashion rules. Is there any restriction of high heels w/betas and tutus? For some reason this just seems terribly important to me at the moment...

Okay, I'll admit it...I just can't keep up with fashion rules. Is there any restriction of high heels w/betas and tutus? For some reason this just seems terribly important to me at the moment...

I'll consult regarding women wearing Hooters shirts, but it sounds like Henning is the expert on high heals and tutus.

I'll consult regarding women wearing Hooters shirts, but it sounds like Henning is the expert on high heals and tutus.

With respect to the Hooters shirts, is there a minimum bra cup size requirement to even wear such an article of clothing? These technical details are most important for a successful checkride....

Ropers are good. It's the tall ones with bigger heels that can get caught up where they shouldn't be if one isn't paying attention.

To get your feet off of the brakes and down the pedal where they belong, you kinda have to tip or roll your foot and lower leg forward.

Not hard. Just something you don't want to do the first time in a gusty crosswind.

With respect to the Hooters shirts, is there a minimum bra cup size requirement to even wear such an article of clothing? These technical details are most important for a successful checkride....

Insert joke about Clark's cup size here... Haha.

I'll give Martha a call and ask what cup size she is.

I have (bought for wife) the ever elusive black Hotters tank. It was bike night when I got it. Found out they were NOT suppose to sell the black.

I've heard of coolers but never hotters.

Warming plates?

Private ride was jeans and a t-shirt (fall)
IR ride was shorts and a t-shirt (summer)
Both times my feet were wrapped in my daily tennis shoes.

The checkride is tomorrow! It looks like it's going to rain but I can get the oral out of the way.

Back