What Did You Buy At OSH?

Jay Honeck

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Jay Honeck
Now that everyone is home (and broke -- if you're not, you have failed Oshkosh!), what did y'all buy?

We looked at 406 MHZ ELTs, and found a few good deals, but opted to buy this PLB instead:

9c9655af-9a40-44d5-98a9-9288b01bc86b.jpg

We also picked up a second Aerox O2 tank (and a free refill) at their booth. We used both on the way home, after Mary misread the flow gauge and set us too high. (We were not hypoxic, that's for sure! LOL)

Unfortunately, after installing the new control panel (in February) and a new car (in July), that's all we could buy at aviation's biggest yard sale, so I will have to live vicariously through y'all.

Whuddja get? :)

2 bottles of Cam Guard. But I did pick up a catalog from Vantage Plane Plastics. Going to start redoing the interior of the 150, so I'm going to file that under buying at Oshkosh.

I wasn't there, but I'll be watching classifieds to see what you all pull out that I might want!

This has been a terrible year for aviation classifieds forums so get swapping folks! :yes:

Hardware. :rolleyes:

Screws, bolts, washers, fun home builder stuff. :lol:

I also bought a drone based off a forum I attended. DJI Phantom 2+. That set me back $1400.:eek:

I wasn't there, but I'll be watching classifieds to see what you all pull out that I might want!

This has been a terrible year for aviation classifieds forums so get swapping folks! :yes:
I've still got everything I pulled during our panel redo sitting in a box. What do you need?

I also bought a drone based off a forum I attended. DJI Phantom 2+. That set me back $1400.:eek:
We need video. From the drone.

Nice to finally meet you in-person, BTW!

Headset Inc ANR conversion of my DC's-$250
CamGuard-$90
Filters and a few odds and ends from Spruce (free shipping) -$150
2 Oil test kits prepaid postage- $30
4 Shirts-$100
And a whole lot of fuel for my plane-~$300
Oh, and one braut for 5 bucks, I cooked the rest of my meals or snacked at Continental

Nothing big really..

- Claw aircraft tiedown, lighter than what I was doing before
- New tube for my main tire that went flat @ Airventure (set me back over $200)
- Compression tester from Aircraft Tool & Supply (was sick of borrowing one)
- Some aircraft hardware (screws, bolts, etc)
- Some random RAM mount fittings

I only bought 2 cases of Phillips 66 oil & a 4 pack of Camguard, that got me 2 'free' T-shirts & some 'auto' Camguard.

Just before Oshkosh I treated myself to a Bose A20 headset.

Jepp e charts app, training materials.

T shirts and stuff for my kid.

A drone for a friend's kids and a bottle LP Plastic cleaner from ACS. It's my favorite window cleaner.

Lot's of semi-lousy food.... the Italian place with the funny name was our consensus best.

A drone for a friend's kids and a bottle LP Plastic cleaner from ACS. It's my favorite window cleaner.

Lot's of semi-lousy food.... the Italian place with the funny name was our consensus best.

Bucca Di Beppo?

I bought a handheld radio.

Which I used at a fuel stop yesterday on the way back. Which I placed on the wing (Cherokee) as I got in the plane. Which I forgot to then grab off the wing!

I called today and they found it halfway down the runway, in apparently decent shape, after presumably falling off during takeoff roll (I had to back taxi too, so it could have been then). They are mailing it to me tomorrow!

Ouch.

I bought a handheld radio.

Which I used at a fuel stop yesterday on the way back. Which I placed on the wing (Cherokee) as I got in the plane. Which I forgot to then grab off the wing!

I called today and they found it halfway down the runway, in apparently decent shape, after presumably falling off during takeoff roll (I had to back taxi too, so it could have been then). They are mailing it to me tomorrow!

Ouch.

You need a high wing airplane. :)

Was going to buy a plane but I couldn't decide between the Icon A5 and the Terrafugia.:lol:

Some new shirts and updated my jeeps. Subscription.

Hardware and 2 cans of plexiglass cleaner.
Got 2 hats from my insurance broker, I figure they cost me $2500 each, and 3 hats from the Ford tent.

The fly market is always my favorite stop.:yes:

Nothing big really..

- Claw aircraft tiedown, lighter than what I was doing before
- New tube for my main tire that went flat @ Airventure (set me back over $200)
- Compression tester from Aircraft Tool & Supply (was sick of borrowing one)
- Some aircraft hardware (screws, bolts, etc)
- Some random RAM mount fittings
$200+ just for the tube? Why?

Oh, and I forgot to add that we bought our 32nd EAA patch for my luggage, the pin for my hat (which is too heavy to wear!), and a few shirts.

Not to mention spending a bazillion dollars at Pick N Save, the N40 restaurant (Major Goolsby's), Friar Tucks, Charcoal Pit, and La Sure's. Oshkosh got a nice kick in the economic keister, I'm sure.
:)

$200+ just for the tube? Why?

Oh, and I forgot to add that we bought our 32nd EAA patch for my luggage, the pin for my hat (which is too heavy to wear!), and a few shirts.

Not to mention spending a bazillion dollars at Pick N Save, the N40 restaurant (Major Goolsby's), Friar Tucks, Charcoal Pit, and La Sure's. Oshkosh got a nice kick in the economic keister, I'm sure.
:)

That's what a 800 x 4 tube costs. Stock J3 wheel.

IMG_0159_zps4efbddf7.jpg

hero3+ black

8.00x4 tubes are normally $125+ from Desser. Full set of tires and tubes for my Cub two years ago was $750. Only Goodyear makes them and in small quantities per run. Desser is seemingly the primary distributor. Likely anyone else has to buy from them so it adds middlemen.

I'm surprised anyone had one available at OSH.

Glad fly most from grass!

An assortment of hats to give to my friends back home, a set of 4 tall shot glasses, a couple pair of cheap sunglasses, and a couple year's supply of stainless screws and tinnerman washers for wheelpants, fairings, etc, since I like to use new hardware on those each annual. Also got both my portable Garmin GPS units updated. I also won a gift certificate from Sportys at the RV beer party drawing, but haven't figured out yet what to spend it on... maybe some shirts with epaulets on them :D

Last edited:
I've still got everything I pulled during our panel redo sitting in a box. What do you need?

I'd love a fuel computer and a 6 cyl CHT gauge. Gotten close a couple of times but no dice. Whatcha got Jay? Feel free to PM me...

6 gallons of avgas. (That's what it takes to top off my RV following an Aurora - Oshkosh leg). $36

Two foam airplanes. One for me. One for my 3 year old. $20.

One Ray Allen stick grip to replace the grubby one on the stick on the pilot's side of my plane. $6.

Plus the usual camping, admission, and food expenses.

Um, okay. Why?

I bought two tubes for the RV (not at OSH) for less.
800x4s are used mostly on the prewar Pipers and a few of the postwar models like the Vagabond and the PA-12. Production rates of hundreds, not thousands.

Back when I was flying the original Fly Baby, I nipped the stem off the 800x4 tube at a remote grass strip.
ron_wheel.jpg

Had to leave the plane there and return a week later with a replacement tube. I went to a number of places, looking at ATV tires, etc. but only the $150 aviation tube would do.

One of the other Fly Baby club members blew a tire and tube in this same airplane just 80 miles shy of Oshkosh. No replacements available. He used a bunch of patches to get the tube to hold air, but the tire had been shredded as well. He cut a piece off a tire used to mark a tiedown, stitched it onto the blown tire with safety wire, and reassembled the tire.

He said it "thudded" a bit as it went around, but he took off, and, surprisingly, it was still holding air at Oshkosh.

Prices for the 4 inch wheels, brakes, tubes, and tires are through the roof. As someone posted, just tires and tubes cost $750. For another $200, you can buy a complete Grove conversion kit that goes to 6" wheels. For about a thousand bucks, you get two tires, two tubes, AND two complete wheel and brake assemblies.

Ron Wanttaja

One of the other Fly Baby club members blew a tire and tube in this same airplane just 80 miles shy of Oshkosh. No replacements available. He used a bunch of patches to get the tube to hold air, but the tire had been shredded as well. He cut a piece off a tire used to mark a tiedown, stitched it onto the blown tire with safety wire, and reassembled the tire.

He said it "thudded" a bit as it went around, but he took off, and, surprisingly, it was still holding air at Oshkosh.

lol...I cannot say I would think of doing that...and I'd hate to explain that repair to the FAA guy if it fell apart on landing in the mess of traffic there. But very creative :)

Nobody on the field actually had a 800x4 tube. I checked the Flymarket as well. Finally I just had Spruce overnight one which worked out to $80 in freight.

I was able to loan the needed tools from the "loan a tool" service there to get back up and running.

Some Flybaby @ Airventure pics:
qT42t8h.jpg

z3HDWmY.jpg

4tjCcMf.jpg

WDxy3Js.jpg

t5UPOfl.jpg

Last edited:
I bought a radio control motor thingie for paper airplanes. Promptly got broken at the Origami convention. That and a T-shirt.

I bought some Nuvite polish for my spinner and some Micro-Gloss polish to take out those tiny little scratches in plexiglass.

How do you break a T-shirt?

Ron Wanttaja
If he's like me, it's from all the food and beer we consumed! Cripes! :)

(And now we've spent the last two nights in New Braunfels, at our favorite hotel/brewery/restaurant -- the Faust Hotel -- straightening our spines and letting our legs recover from walking 35+ miles. No respite from beer/great food, yet!)

Departing for the airport, now. Almost home!

If he's like me, it's from all the food and beer we consumed! Cripes! :)

(And now we've spent the last two nights in New Braunfels, at our favorite hotel/brewery/restaurant -- the Faust Hotel -- straightening our spines and letting our legs recover from walking 35+ miles. No respite from beer/great food, yet!)

Departing for the airport, now. Almost home!

Careful of your weight and balance there! :D

Back