What Did You Buy At OSH?

A shirt from the ford tent. Coaster set, couple coffee mugs, stickers, "remove before flight" keychain.

I really wanted a "rock your wings" shirt(as I did fly in as a copilot) but I didn't know they existed until the last day and by then my size was nowhere to be found:(

A shirt from the ford tent. Coaster set, couple coffee mugs, stickers, "remove before flight" keychain.

I really wanted a "rock your wings" shirt(as I did fly in as a copilot) but I didn't know they existed until the last day and by then my size was nowhere to be found:(
We bought two of those shirts. Mary flew in, I flew out. Next year, we will switch seats, and I will fly in.

Here's my prized possession: My bag with 31 years of OSH patches. Mary will sew on #32 in a day or three.

emusy7ug.jpg

I was ready with cash in hand to buy a GDL-39 3D...but Garmin does not allow show pricing, so the money stayed in my pocket. Garmin has not yet learned that 90% of a pie is better than no pie.

Too bad, I really would like one but it's a little spendy for me at the current price.

None of my bags ever lasted 3 years let alone 31. You must keep it in a safe and only take it out at the end of July each year.

A T-Shirt and a horrible burger from some dump near the tower.:rolleyes2:

Garmin Pilot watch. I need it for halloween - I want to dress up as a dork.

LOL. That thing is even more enormous than I thought, but I almost bought one.

Managed to avoid the temptation of $100 off, and got out alive. ;)

I put a nice donation in the seaplane base tip jar instead.

None of my bags ever lasted 3 years let alone 31. You must keep it in a safe and only take it out at the end of July each year.
This is actually my second bag. My first one was the rear luggage bag from my 1986 Honda Goldwing.

When that bag wore through, Mary bought this extremely heavy duty cordura bag and spent a day carefully cutting off all the EAA patches, and sewing them on the new bag. We're since added three more years to it!
:)

Leslie bought a Mygoflight solution for her new iPad Air to allow her to use it in the Cherokee cockpit. (hint)

Jeez! I hope somebody bought something there. If everybody was as tight wad as you guys, there won't be any vendors next year! I've only been to Oshkosh once, but that time I spent about $5,000 on stuff. I don't know how you would go there and not buy stuff. Maybe if you go every year?

I bought a RAM mount for my tablet. Worked great on the way home and then yesterday my tablet bricked on me. it's stone dead and even a factory reset won't get it to boot. Looks like a new tablet for me, just hope I can get one I like that fits the new mount.

Jeez! I hope somebody bought something there. If everybody was as tight wad as you guys, there won't be any vendors next year! I've only been to Oshkosh once, but that time I spent about $5,000 on stuff. I don't know how you would go there and not buy stuff. Maybe if you go every year?

The vendors don't offer me a reason to buy there hardly anyone gives a deal. Also it's surprising how many vendors don't even bring product to sell instead they tell you to order it off their website and wait a few weeks.

The Internet killed the sell-at-the-show model for all sorts of industries not just aviation. Plus aviation is still stuck on the Distribution model world.

I swear to The Deity that if a damn avionics vendor could get their crap together and show up at OSH with a known good and warranted INSTALLER BASE ready to take install orders for a reasonable flat price, they'd make a killing. I'd walk up and schedule a hard date and fly the airplane there and know the MANUFACTURER would pressure the install shop to get it right and have certified knowledgeable installers.

Talking to vendors who say, "Here's the list of vendors/distributors at the show actually selling our products (and not having a printed MAP to FIND them at such a large show), and no, we don't know what they're charging or if they have show pricing, not would we talk about it because they all compete... Is a sure fire way NOT to sell anything at the show.

I'll go home and dread the 20 phone calls I'll have to make and a month of getting quotes and referrals to actually make a purchase deal.

I get better offers of "one stop shopping" from avionics installers via paper mail to the registered address of the aircraft LLC than one can ever find at OSH. The booth staff are completely in show mode, not actual finalize-a-real-deal-and-make-a- sale mode.

Pacific Coast and Gulf Coast and the like are the only people actually SELLING anything in that Distributor-driven model and their corner booths are mobbed with people buying headsets and adapter cables. Walk up and try to talk about a $20K avionics upgrade and they'll have to hand you a business card for after the show. They have 100 headsets to sell.

It is what it is. But the manufacturers would really do themselves a service if they set up a way to go to a quiet room somewhere where there are installation reps who can talk turkey and nail down bigger deals. I'd have done that this year.

As it stands, I'm stuck back home with too much "real job" work to do to start the spreadsheet and the phone calls necessary. It's a royal PITA that even a good salesman working outside the company booth script could make a killing on if they'd build an incentive for them to do so.

P.S. On the positive side, OSH is one of the only places you can walk up and TOUCH the unit and diddle with the buttons and user interfaces. I did that with ALL of the IFR certified GPS vendors this year.

And for the record, while I hate that they have little to no competition, Garmin's touchscreen units kicked everything else's ***. Flat out.

Avidyne the buttons feel cheap and the interface is awful. King, whoever thought a joystick was a good idea on a panel mount GPS needs to be taken out back and shot.

The Internet killed the sell-at-the-show model for all sorts of industries not just aviation.

Not sure I follow you there. Unless you're saying that the internet made stuff much more accessible outside the show so that folks already get whatever they want in a day or two.

Also, interesting about your Garmin comment. Wasn't that company started by some B/K folks? I don't think we can fault them too much for their dominance considering how they got their start. I wonder who they next folks will be: Aspen, Austin the X-plane guy?

Sam

P.S. Not trying to start an argument, on the contrary, I plan on being nice to you all year this year so when I go to Osh next year, I am welcomed into your mini-mansion in case of foul weather! :)

Before Garmin (yes, there was such an era) you could drive real bargains at OSH. I remember going back and forth between vendors, looking for a GPS, and getting them in a bidding war.

Then, Garmin came along, and told their vendors: The price is The Price. And that was that. Most other vendors followed suit.

This year I was able to get Gulf Coast Avionics to match Pacific Coast Avionics' price on the little 406 PLB we bought -- a reduction of six bucks. Yippee.

I joked on FB that I go to Oshkosh and what do I buy? A chair.

I should have never sat in the damn thing.

I bought two. One for us, and one for my son and his family. My wife was ecstatic. She loves Oshkosh now. She was dreading me flying home in a new airplane. :lol:

Legacy-Website-Product-description-01.jpg

I joked on FB that I go to Oshkosh and what do I buy? A chair.

I should have never sat in the damn thing.

I bought two. One for us, and one for my son and his family. My wife was ecstatic. She loves Oshkosh now. She was dreading me flying home in a new airplane. :lol:

Legacy-Website-Product-description-01.jpg

Funny. Mary and I looked at that chair with genuine fear.

The thing looks like it might crush the life out of you, and then drain your precious bodily fluids into a built-in blender. We called it the Soylent Green chair, every time we walked through the buildings.

ROFL. We avoided the chairs because a) we would probably want one, and b) sitting in the sweat of a hundred of your closest friends didn't look so appealing. ;)

Guys, all I can say is, only sex is better. Maybe. You gotta sit in one. It massages the bottom of your feet while it massages your balls. :hairraise:

NOTAM:

FOLLOW OSH NOTAM / AVOID CHAIR OBSTRUCTIONS HANGAR 'A' WITHOUT PRIOR CLEARANCE. SEE WIFE NOTAM. :lol:

Last edited:
Guys, all I can say is, only sex is better. Maybe. You gotta sit in one. It massages the bottom of your feet while it massages your balls. :hairraise:

NOTAM:

FOLLOW OSH NOTAM / AVOID CHAIR OBSTRUCTIONS HANGAR 'A' WITHOUT PRIOR CLEARANCE. SEE WIFE NOTAM. :lol:

Okay, now I am REALLY glad I didn't sit in it at OSH! :lol:

I was in love with this Howard that my son is standing next to, and the owner was talking like it could be had.

Then I talked myself out of it. 121 gallons, who would work on it, where would you find a part for it, the oil burn, insurance, etc... besides, I already own a decent traveling plane.

But what a glorious aircraft. You don't land, you arrive in a Howard. :yesnod:

I was in love with this Howard that my son is standing next to, and the owner was talking like it could be had.

Then I talked myself out of it. 121 gallons, who would work on it, where would you find a part for it, the oil burn, insurance, etc... besides, I already own a decent traveling plane.

But what a glorious aircraft. You don't land, you arrive in a Howard. :yesnod:

Agree. A friend of mine owned a Howard, and it was an amazing plane. I could wear a top hat in the cockpit, without hitting my head.

Back