what childhood flight experience

Peter Ha

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Leadpan
What motivated and/or stayed with you during childhood... to fly?
Me... MS flight simulators(never could land that stupid jet!), paper airplanes, arcade games(1942, After-burner, etc.) and later RC planes had me looking up to fly one day. Which was odd since I have acrophobia! :eek:
At times, when at 5000ft AGL I think to myself ... "what the h*** am I doing up so high? I'm afraid of heights!" The answer is...well I've lived long enough so.. go do what you wanted but were afraid of. :D

Last edited:
I was always interested in all forms of transportation: cars, trains, ships, airplanes. I read extensively on the subject. One of my father's clients (a 727 FE for Transcarribean, later American) took me for my first ride in a 172.
Got me hooked. Did ground school at a nacent JHU flying club in college. Signed up for proper lessons upon graduation.

Grew up flying in King Air's (F90, 200, 350), so that helped. I started playing MSFS at 3 and RC planes not long after that. It's just always been in my blood, I guess.

The landlord on one of our farms had an airstrip & hangar on the farm. I was probably 5 the first time I went up and have been hooked ever since. The first flight was an old taylorcraft, which was replaced by a tri-pacer. Then came a really cool experimental powered glider, which was eventually replaced by a CAP 10.

Took me a bit over 30 years, but I finally got my license. The landlord's son who took me up that first time is still a friend (and landlord), and recently bought a christen eagle after taking about ten years off. Looking forward to getting a ride in that.

My Dad and both Grandfathers worked at Lockheed. I went to open houses and airshows from an early age and saw the first flights of several aircraft. Also, I got rides in light aircraft from an uncle and a cousin when I was young. But mostly, I read everything aviation related I could find and have continued that quest for aviation knowledge.

Built and flew model airplanes as a child and teen. Read Flying magazine in study hall in school and fantasized about flying a small plane someday. Bummed rides with private pilots. When I was gainfully employed and made enough money, I went for it! Dream realized, including down the rabbit hole of ownership.

Dad worked FSS so that got me interested in GA. Army NG flew into my high school every year so that got me interested in a career.

Saw a Blue Angels performance in the 60s and started to dream about flying. Ended up grabbing a wrench instead. But figured it fate since I share the same birthday as Charles Taylor. ;)

Dad wasn't a pilot, but we went for an airplane ride for my birthday when I was maybe 8 years. Probably was a C-172, I sat in front, and the pilot let me fly it for a little while. Although I vividly remember it, I can't say it set the hook to fly. That happened when we got into R/C models a few years letter. Then Dad got me copies of Richard Bach's books, particularly Biplane, which defined the direction of my flying interests. I would ride my bicycle to the old Ramapo airport in southern NY just to hang out and watch the planes. A ride in a Stearman when I was 15 made the disease incurable, flying lessons at 16.

Always been an interest of mine. Used to go to the open house every year at the airport and I got my first GA ride during that time, which really got me hooked.

I grew up in a country without any general aviation, and I had no exposure to airplanes other than paper airplanes.

My dad got his pilot's license when I was 2yo. I grew up in the back seat of a C120, Cherokee 140 and various others.

I was there when my dad's Cherokee and hangar was taken by a windstorm, and deposited upside-down.

I was in the back seat of his T-Lance during most of his instrument training.

And I most recently got to help convince him to put it up for sale.

My Dad worked for Hiller Helicopters. The first book I ever held in my hands was the maintenance manual for UH-12E. I used to open the page that showed the cockpit and pretend I was flying by touching the controls on the page.

I didn't know that Santa flew a sleigh and not a helicopter until I was maybe seven years old!

My father was a pilot who owned a C172. I remember it so well.

As a kid, for some weird reason on takeoff I had a superstitious ritual that seemed to develop on its own. I had the “popeye” song running slowly in my head at taxi, and it would speed up faster and faster as we did the takeoff roll. Chicken-egg thing, I think it got in my head on a takeoff, and ever since I felt like I needed to run through it.
Or else we wouldn’t successfully takeoff. Just seemed to help :)
I can remember as a small child, my dad doing preflight, how it all looked from the air, longer trips and I loved when he flew night flights. We had no headsets and he used a hand mic. Overhead speaker.

I learned pretty quickly though was never sure, when dad snapped at me if I tried talking to him during say landing. I was too little to know, and I don’t think he explained, about critical moments where he needed sterile cockpit. So I didn’t know it was ok during normal flight. Just followed his lead, didn’t initiate conversation, and never knew when I’d hear “shut up” in reply, until I was older.

I also remember when me, dad, and mom were on long flights, the pee pitcher. A Teflon jug with lid, that I had to use. It either was exactly the same as, or actually THE only one where at home mom would fill with orange juice at breakfast. I didn’t drink a lot of orange juice, never sure if it was the same jug or not.

One thing, I can barely recall but my father told me the whole story, then many decades later when I brought it up, denied it. But I got it from him and recall a little of it.

Dad got me a “Steve Canyon” helmet. I loved that thing, a real (plastic toy but realistic in form) fighter pilot helmet with movable sun viser, and an oxygen mask (with waxed paper in a diaphragm that made it sound like real radio talk). After I got that I had to have it on any and all of our flights.

130614460739.jpg

Dad told me he took me up once with him, and in his words “I’d like over at you, with that helmet on, sitting there and thought it would be funny” basically to get me a little sick in the helmet. His words. He did have a weird sense of humor. He apparently asked me if I wanted to do some stalls (didn’t know what they were but sure!) And he did. From him, would be laughing and yelling “whee!” As we roller coastered and I’d ask for another.
Apparently I wasn’t affected by it as he thought, but HE was staring to get a little queasy after a few.
When I asked that we do another, at that point he gently slapped the helmet and said “no..were done. Were going back now”.

It sounds worse than it was, but I found it funny when he told me about it. Many years later I brought it up, and he looked so Injured “I would NEVER do anything like that” but it was his story, I didn’t have the imagination to make up the parts I didn’t know about, specially his description of looking over at his dumb kid sitting there with that dumb helmet on.

oh well... I still find it funny. I wouldn’t do it to a kid, but..

Because I looked so up to my dad, I always felt safe in a small plane. Parents divorced when I was 12 and saw less of dad for some years. Always wanted to learn to fly but as a young man never had enough cash. Eventually forgot about the dream. Would go up with dad when I visited him, he flew to the end, though less as he got very old. But he was not a patient man, short fuse, so though I did get to try may hand at flying a little it was nerve racking.

Many years later, when I did my discovery flight it felt like “coming home” and I had a grin from ear to ear. Circumstances have slowed my progress, but I’m still a student and still learning.

Last edited:
I was extremely lucky as a kid. Next door neighbor had planes and then bought a helicopter company. When I was 12, I asked if he would teach me how to fly helos. He told me he would if I earned my pilot's license. So, I washed and waxed a jillion airplanes, swept the hangar floor and ran errands at the Plymouth Mass airport. In those days, KPYM was rural as hell. No houses, no stores... just cranberry bogs.

I used the money I made to learn how to fly and eventually earned my PPL when I was 17. The neighbor made good on his promise -- sort of... I did learn how to fly helos, but, during the 1970's, God invented litigators and it wasn't possible for me to ever sit in the PIC seat or record my time. Had a blast though. I was surrounded by flying pros growing up who always stressed safety and personal accountability. The A&P's were my heroes and still are. Old grumpy guys who could fix anything in crazy conditions. They were radial engine military trained in the 40's and 50's... and taught me every cuss word known to man. Great times in the GA heyday.

That’s a great story Bob!
i hope to do the same with mine.

My father was a pilot who owned a C172. I remember it so well.

As a kid, for some weird reason on takeoff I had a superstitious ritual that seemed to develop on its own. I had the “popeye” song running slowly in my head at taxi, and it would speed up faster and faster as we did the takeoff roll. Chicken-egg thing, I think it got in my head on a takeoff, and ever since I felt like I needed to run through it.
Or else we wouldn’t successfully takeoff. Just seemed to help :)
I can remember as a small child, my dad doing preflight, how it all looked from the air, longer trips and I loved when he flew night flights. We had no headsets and he used a hand mic. Overhead speaker.

I learned pretty quickly though was never sure, when dad snapped at me if I tried talking to him during say landing. I was too little to know, and I don’t think he explained, about critical moments where he needed sterile cockpit. So I didn’t know it was ok during normal flight. Just followed his lead, didn’t initiate conversation, and never knew when I’d hear “shut up” in reply, until I was older.

I also remember when me, dad, and mom were on long flights, the pee pitcher. A Teflon jug with lid, that I had to use. It either was exactly the same as, or actually THE only one where at home mom would fill with orange juice at breakfast. I didn’t drink a lot of orange juice, never sure if it was the same jug or not.

One thing, I can barely recall but my father told me the whole story, then many decades later when I brought it up, denied it. But I got it from him and recall a little of it.

Dad got me a “Steve Canyon” helmet. I loved that thing, a real (plastic toy but realistic in form) fighter pilot helmet with movable sun viser, and an oxygen mask (with waxed paper in a diaphragm that made it sound like real radio talk). After I got that I had to have it on any and all of our flights.

Dad told me he took me up once with him, and in his words “I’d like over at you, with that helmet on, sitting there and thought it would be funny” basically to get me a little sick in the helmet. His words. He did have a weird sense of humor. He apparently asked me if I wanted to do some stalls (didn’t know what they were but sure!) And he did. From him, would be laughing and yelling “whee!” As we roller coastered and I’d ask for another.
Apparently I wasn’t affected by it as he thought, but HE was staring to get a little queasy after a few.
When I asked that we do another, at that point he gently slapped the helmet and said “no..were done. Were going back now”.

It sounds worse than it was, but I found it funny when he told me about it. Many years later I brought it up, and he looked so Injured “I would NEVER do anything like that” but it was his story, I didn’t have the imagination to make up the parts I didn’t know about, specially his description of looking over at his dumb kid sitting there with that dumb helmet on.

oh well... I still find it funny. I wouldn’t do it to a kid, but..

Because I looked so up to my dad, I always felt safe in a small plane. Parents divorced when I was 12 and saw less of dad for some years. Always wanted to learn to fly but as a young man never had enough cash. Eventually forgot about the dream. Would go up with dad when I visited him, he flew to the end, though less as he got very old. But he was not a patient man, short fuse, so though I did get to try may hand at flying a little it was nerve racking.

Many years later, when I did my discovery flight it felt like “coming home” and I had a grin from ear to ear. Circumstances have slowed my progress, but I’m still a student and still learning.

Watching Gemini space flights as a kid. And watching the Tv show ''12 O'clock High''.

I wanted to be a tail gunner in a B-17. As an adult I once got to crawl into the tail gunners position on a B-17. It really looked like a place to vastly shorten ones life expectancy.

Watched a military jet crash in Lake Ontario at a Toronto airshow when I was maybe 8.
Spent many an afternoon floating up against the seatbelt in summer bumps, green as a gourd, praying not to vomit in Dad's 172.
Semi-tortured by pointless, fruitless Air Cadet meetings early teens.

Somehow I was not deterred! PP by 18yrs.

12 O'clock High, models, the space program. Hang gliding was the cheap way into the air in the '70s. 40 years of doing that, PP for the last 2 years, just got IFR.

The first flight I remember, I think I was eight years old. Düsseldorf, Germany to Athens, Greece, on a summer vacation trip with my parents and my sister.

Our next-door neighbor was a captain for LTU, a Düsseldorf-based airline specializing in charter air travel. He requested (and got) the flight to Athens. I was in the jumpseat almost the whole flight, including for take-off and landing. I understood almost nothing of what I saw. I was mesmerized - and hooked. It was one a defining moments in my life.

- Martin

Back