What attributes do you think new MOSAIC compliant LSA aircraft should have to return General Aviation to 10,000 aircraft sales per year?

Buying a USED airplane still is attainable for the middle class. I know plenty of average Joes with a plane, and a few where their plane is literally the only asset they have. But the premise of this thread seems to be that MOSAIC will result in production of affordable NEW airplanes that an "average Joe" can afford. That's probably not going to happen, and I doubt it ever really was the case.

Now, is it possible that a well constructed set of regs might result in NEW airplanes that are affordable to, say, the top 20% of the population? Sure. And might those planes become used planes that are affordable to a median income buyer after 5 or 10 years. I think so.
I agree. I think for this discussion (spurring 10K new aircraft sales) pretty much necessitates that the purchase price be much lower to give the average Joe any chance at all. I do concur that it's all a pipe dream anyway.

Buying a plane and keeping a plane maintained and sheltered are two different financial tasks.

Just an FYI. The MOSAIC comment period has been extended to January 22, 2024.

Wonderful, Let's kick the can further down the street. Has Lucy taken her football to the FAA?
Yep, as usual, it's the FAA's fault.

"Since publication, the FAA received 10 comments from individuals requesting that comment period not be extended. The FAA has also received requests from Aircraft Electronics Association, Aeronautical Repair Station Association, Aviation Suppliers Association, Aviation Technician Education Council, Helicopter Association International, International Air Response, Inc., Modification and Replacement Parts Association, and the National Air Transportation Association to extend the comment period by an additional ninety (90) days. These commenters requested more time to review the proposed rule and associated guidance documents, and to develop comments and recommendations."

"Since publication, the FAA received 10 comments from individuals requesting that comment period not be extended. The FAA has also received requests from Aircraft Electronics Association, Aeronautical Repair Station Association, Aviation Suppliers Association, Aviation Technician Education Council, Helicopter Association International, International Air Response, Inc., Modification and Replacement Parts Association, and the National Air Transportation Association to extend the comment period by an additional ninety (90) days. These commenters requested more time to review the proposed rule and associated guidance documents, and to develop comments and recommendations."

Seems like mostly organizations with a vested interest in preserving the current system's barriers to entry. Hopefully I am wrong.

So dummies like me and the Pilots groups like AOPA and EAA and Manufacturers like GAMA and others can get their items in on time but these guys are so Effiing Big and Bureaucratic they need more time?????? HAve EAA and AOPA aasked for more time? What's so hard to understand about this proposed rule since i see none of these guys are OEM's for airplanes AFAIK except maybe the Helo bunch. The rest look like reactionaries who want the status quo monopoly for maintenance and parts.

So dummies like me and the Pilots groups like AOPA and EAA and Manufacturers like GAMA and others can get their items in on time but these guys are so Effiing Big and Bureaucratic they need more time?????? HAve EAA and AOPA aasked for more time? What's so hard to understand about this proposed rule since i see none of these guys are OEM's for airplanes AFAIK except maybe the Helo bunch. The rest look like reactionaries who want the status quo monopoly for maintenance and parts.
The usual complaint is that the FAA doesn't pay attention to comments, so I guess you can't make everyone happy. Yeah, I'd like to see a final rule more quickly too (not just here) but I accept the reality that extensions of comment periods is so common as to practically be an SOP.

My suggestions for manufacturers of new MOSAIC compliant LSA aircraft to sale thousands a year are:
1. Cruise airspeed of at least 150 knots.
2. Cabin interior width at least 42 inches.
3. Four seats.
4. Fixed tricycle landing gear.
5. Full aircraft parachute.
6. Air Conditioning.
7. Full glass panel with two axis autopilot.
8. IFR compliant for IMC conditions.
9. Fun to fly with good control harmony.
10. Priced around $300,000 in 2023 US dollars.

With the new Rotax 916is engine this is attainable. I see new LSA aircraft under the current(old) rules listed new for under $300,000 with Garmin glass avionics and aircraft parachutes. I know the Rotax 916is cost more than a 912is and the current LSA aircraft do not have air conditioning but they were restricted to 1320 pounds gross weight. The new MOSAIC rules for LSA aircraft do not have any weight restriction, only a clean stall speed restriction of 54 knots.

Tell us what attributes you think new, MOSAIC compliant LSA aircraft should have with the new MOSAIC rules.

Let’s lower #10 down to maybe $100k.

Keep in mind that “garageable” airplanes were big in the early EAA days as well.

I wonder if “10 minutes from trailer hitch to ready to fly” would have any impact on sales. Probably not, since towing is beyond a lot of people’s capacity, too.

As I don’t own a pickup truck or a trailer, the cost of purchasing both these items would pay for a considerable amount of hanger rent.

As I don’t own a pickup truck or a trailer, the cost of purchasing both these items would pay for a considerable amount of hanger rent.
The beauty of garageable airplanes is that you need neither.

Back