What are the required steps to flying from US to Canada?

spdracer888

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
spdracer888
Once our neighbor in the north opens up its border, I would like to take a trip from NY to Quebec. Looking for advice on the steps required (eAPIS, clearing custom etc). Any website that I can read up on this would be great. TIA!

-File the eAPIS
-File a flight plan - ask for the border crossing transponder code from FSS when you file - you will need to be squawking this code for 10 minutes prior to and after crossing the border to keep DHS happy.
-Call the Canadian Border Services Agency CANPASS number 1-888-CANPASS (1-888-226-7277) at least 2 hours before your expected arrival time at the Canadian Port of Entry (you can call up to 48 hours in advance). They will need the typical info, so have it handy - passport info for pilot and passengers, any declarations, etc.
-Don't forget to put your DHS decal on your plane before you depart the USA (the Canadians could care less about this, but you will want to have it when you arrive back in the USA).
-Once COVID passes don't be surprised if nobody from Canada Customs shows up if you are not entering at one of the major Ports of Entry. Pretty common to call CANPASS on your arrival and they just do the clearance over the phone.

... don't be surprised if nobody from Canada Customs shows up if you are not entering at one of the major Ports of Entry. Pretty common to call CANPASS on your arrival and they just do the clearance over the phone.
Yep. The US CBP on the other hand. Grrrrr.

One time they made us completely unload our plane, open up our luggage, and had my son open up his hockey bag (We had gone to Vancouver for a tournament) right there on the ramp, in a pouring rain. Our luggage was open, and we had to back away while they took their sweet time pawing through everything and letting all of our stuff (and us) get good and wet before we were allowed to pack it back up.

Canada customs welcomed us over the phone with a "Enjoy your stay and good luck to your son, eh" while the US CBP treated us like criminals on our arrival back to our home country. Still infuriates me thinking about it.

Oh, and we landed at Vancouver International. Just a phone call to Canadian customs even at that major airport. They did not make an appearance.

I got this..............somewhere. (Probably here!) It is pretty good. Thinking of giving a positive tip
https://www.dropbox.com/s/g4dopxprbtgcd9g/Flying to Canada.pdf?dl=0

Generally correct, except for item 3;

For VFR flight, you must be on flight following to fulfill the requirement of “remaining in contact with ATC”. You will receive a squawk code, different than the one you received from FSS. If APP/DEP forget to tell you to switch to the “boarder crossing” code, remember to inquire about before you cross.

For large parts of the border area, especially in the mountainous, low population areas of the west, it is not possible to maintain contact with ATC on either side of the border at typical VFR altitudes (try raising Salt Lake Center or Edmonton Center when you are down low near the Canadian/USA border north of Great Falls or KGPI, for example).

My standing procedure for VFR flights across the border has been to ask for and receive the border crossing transponder code from FSS when I file my flight plan. Dial it in 10 minutes before crossing and go back to 1200 ten minutes after crossing.

You have to file with Eapis and Canpass going, depending on where you are going and their workload, they will either meet you or clear you over the phone. Coming back you need to do eapis and clear at a port of entry and make sure you call in for notification.

You have to file with Eapis and Canpass going, depending on where you are going and their workload, they will either meet you or clear you over the phone. Coming back you need to do eapis and clear at a port of entry and make sure you call in for notification.
I vaguely remember something about needing a sticker to come back. Perhaps that’s only commercial??

I vaguely remember something about needing a sticker to come back. Perhaps that’s only commercial??
Yes, it's the U.S Customs decal, which you stick on the plane. You don't need it to leave the States, but you need it to re-enter.
It's only valid for a particular year, so you'll want to make sure ahead of time that you've got one and that it's still valid.
The FCC Restricted Radiooperator's license is another thing that you'll want to procure in advance; it just involves filling out a form and sending the FCC a check. (I've never had anyone in Canada ask to see it.)

I know all of this sounds really intimidating and complicated... but if you just "follow the steps", it's easy as poutine!

You can look up what the "airports of entry" for Canada are... but with COVID, some of them are closed and others of them have limited hours -- at least that's how it was last summer. Canadian Border Services is the agency to call if you have any questions about the COVID rules (who's allowed in, what the policies are, which border stations are open, that sort of thing): 1-800-461-9999.

...I know all of this sounds really intimidating and complicated... but if you just "follow the steps", it's easy as poutine!

You can look up what the "airports of entry" for Canada are... but with COVID, some of them are closed and others of them have limited hours -- at least that's how it was last summer. Canadian Border Services is the agency to call if you have any questions about the COVID rules (who's allowed in, what the policies are, which border stations are open, that sort of thing): 1-800-461-9999.

@kath is correct - it's a bit bureaucratic to cross going either direction, but once you figure out the procedure it's not as difficult as it appears at the outset.

The Canadian Ports of Entry situation is a bit of a moving target with COVID. International commercial flight arrivals are being funnelled into a few of the largest airports only. Private aircraft have a few more options right now, but quite a few of the regional airport Customs offices are temporarily closed. If you happen to file a flight plan to a Port of Entry that's closed, when you call CANPASS for the advance notification of arrival they will tell you that you will have to change your flight plan, and which of the open Customs airports you can use to enter (don't ask me how I know).

At this moment COVID infection rates are rising very fast in many parts of Canada, and there's a lot of talk of tighter border crossing restrictions. So heed kath's advice to call the CBSA about the latest situation.

Very easy, at least pre covid. Others have told you how already, just make sure you get all your ducks in a row. I landed at QC from Massachusetts, a phone call took care of Canadian customs, it was that easy. Coming back I went through Burlington VT, again very easy, customs agent was friendly and efficient, just make sure you don't forget any of the steps outlined above.

Make sure you have at least a 3rd class. Canada doesn't take Basic Med.

Thank you all for the info. Yes already have the CBP sticker for 2021. Will brush up on the steps and can't wait until this COVID thing is over.

Once our neighbor in the north opens up its border, I would like to take a trip from NY to Quebec. Looking for advice on the steps required (eAPIS, clearing custom etc). Any website that I can read up on this would be great. TIA!
Arriving in Canada from the U.S. (in non-pandemic times) is simple: just call 1-888-CANPASS at least two hours before your planned arrival time at an AoE. When you land, call the same number again to report in — most of the time, they'll just give you an approval number to write down, and you won't even meet an agent.

There are no customs fees, unless you want to enroll in a special program that lets you land at some extra airports that aren't normal airports of entry. However, Nav Canada will send you a bill later for use of Canadian airspace, which will come out to around US $15/quarter for a piston single (you'll get charged only once for each 3-month period, no matter how many times you visit.)

The U.S. end is more authoritarian, but still not too bad. You have to buy a customs sticker in advance, file an eAPIS for both your departure and return, arrange by phone with customs at your U.S. AoE up to 24 hours in advance (depending on staffing), then risk a $5,000 fine if you're more than 30 minutes off your stated arrival time (most of the time, I've heard, it's just a warning).

Customs service near border crossings is free (except for the annual $25-ish fee for the US customs sticker), but some airports like KBED and KTEB have $$$ user fees for customs, so best check in advance. You will always be met by a customs agent at the U.S. end.

Note that while the extra U.S. entry/exit requirements can be a hassle, I have had nothing but good experiences with the actual U.S. CBP officers, who are decent people, generally G.A.-friendly, and trying to do their jobs with the least inconvenience for you.

Last edited:
Thank you all for the info. Yes already have the CBP sticker for 2021. Will brush up on the steps and can't wait until this COVID thing is over.

The item no one has mentioned is the $8000 fine if if screw something up.

Of for crying out loud...
Call canpass for entry to Canada. Call US customs for entry requirements. Is not rocket science.

Do no take the word of folks on POA.

Off topic but some may find it interesting: My wife and I flew my Cardinal up to British Columbia a few years ago. I clearly screwed up the border crossing time requirement.

I thought I had a 2 hour window to cross the border. It was actually15 minutes.

I land at Abbotsford and I'm directed to a specific spot on the ramp. A female mounty comes on the air and immediately starts reaming me. I knew I screwed up and by the sound of her I was going straight to canuck jail.

She was really ****ed at me. I guess she had been waiting for me to arrive for the two hours. She finished by telling me that my name was going into a "file". Not sure what that meant but it was kind of intimidating. I really thought she was going to end it by telling me to get the hell out of Canada!

So, she then asks me if we have anything to declare. My mistake number two.... I say in my most respectful tone, "Only two bottles of wine, mam."

"Mr. Welch.... you DO know you cannot bring wine into Canada right?"

Oh crap! "Uhh, no. I did not know that." I say sheepishly waiting for another well- deserved tirade to start on me.

"What's the purpose of your visit?"

"We're visiting my sisters in Vancouver."

"Did you know that you are allowed to bring two bottles of wine as GIFTS into Canada, Mr. Welch?"

"Uhh, no. I did not know that either". Jeesus I'm an idiot!

"So, Mr. Welch, are those two bottles of wine gifts for your sisters?"

Huhhh??? Then I finally catch on.

"Yes, mam, these two bottles of wine are a gift for my sisters!"

"Welcome to Canada Mr. Welch, I hope your enjoy your stay with your family."

Gotta love the mounties!

Be sure to call US customs at least an hour prior with your arrival time, they get very cranky if you forget. Trust me, I know.

Make sure you have at least a 3rd class. Canada doesn't take Basic Med.
Same thing applies the other direction — the US doesn't accept the Canadian Recreational Pilot Permit (RPP), which has some similarities to flying with Basic Med in the U.S. A Canadian pilot needs at least a PPL to fly across the border.

Be sure to call US customs at least an hour prior with your arrival time, they get very cranky if you forget. Trust me, I know.
And also, make sure you open your VFR flightplan after departure from the U.S., because you're required to be on a flight plan (VFR or IFR) crossing the border. Unlike in Canada, U.S. flight services won't automatically open a VFR flight plan at your planned departure time.

Back