What are Roosters for

luvflyin

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Luvflyin
Our tenants want to raise chickens. Guess the cost of eggs is getting to them. We told them ok but no Roosters. They said ok. But then I got to thinking, without a Rooster to get the chickens knocked up and lay eggs, whats the point. Then my wife explains to me, the just lay eggs anyway. So my question is, in the grand evolutionary, keep the species going scheme of things, WTF are Roosters for?

So that there's an audio component on stock footage of farmland in the morning.

If your tenants are raising the chickens as a hobby for pets, fine. But if the think they are going to offset the cost of eggs they are going to spend more money raising them than the eggs are worth.
Yeah. I know. I just kinda threw that in there as joke. They started talking about it a few months before the great egg shortage began.

Roosters will protect the hens....and keeps everyone happy. We have a couple of roosters with our hens. They can be mean....but ours aren't. This guy will eat out of my hand....

Attachments

• 60039B05-F62E-4CA2-AD47-C0A3014213D1.jpeg
    60039B05-F62E-4CA2-AD47-C0A3014213D1.jpeg
    325.5 KB · Views: 40
  • DD4CB638-09DA-43B9-BABF-D373344B210A.jpeg
    DD4CB638-09DA-43B9-BABF-D373344B210A.jpeg
    215.3 KB · Views: 40
So my question is, in the grand evolutionary, keep the species going scheme of things, WTF are Roosters for?

Making eggs and fertilizing eggs are two different things. The males of a species are only involved in the latter.

Last edited:
If your tenants are raising the chickens as a hobby for pets, fine. But if the think they are going to offset the cost of eggs they are going to spend more money raising them than the eggs are worth.
Oh, I don't agree with that. Besides, even if they do spend more money, plenty of us spend money on hobbies...

And regarding annoying neighbors, some of us neighbors like 'em. It's technically illegal to have roosters in Dallas, but I will NEVER rat my neighbor out for having them.

There was a period of time when eggs were unavailable from the supermarkets near me at any price. Of course, it was only a temporary situation but maybe it freaked out the OP's tenants enough that they never want to go through another outage?

I’d rather a tenant raise rabbits in an outdoor hutch than chickens. Also, if you’re in a HOA or subject to certain zoning jurisdictions (like city limits), there may be regulatory prohibitions against raising or keeping any livestock in a residential development.

Roosters will protect the hens....and keeps everyone happy. We have a couple of roosters with our hens. They can be mean....but ours aren't. This guy will eat out of my hand....
Our Roosters would fight off the Racoons at night. They did a great job. For a while. Once the Roosters were gone then the Hens were easy picking at night.

I don't live day to day in this part of the business, but in the commercial egg world we need 1 rooster for every 8 - 12 hens to "get the job done". More than that and the roosters will compete with each other for dominance. Less than that and the fertilization rate is not good. For every 100 eggs that come from the parent facility we will end up with 43 female chicks for egg production after 22 days of incubation and hatching. It is also very breed specific as to how often it happens, but not uncommon for the female parents to get upset with the roosters and kill them. The work of the genetics companies that supply commercial producers is fascinating and is rather intricate. They keep "pure" lines that are selected for general performance and can be traced all the way back to jungle fowl. They select from the best performers from a myriad of selectable traits and those become the great great grandparents. From those very few birds they create great grandparent, grand parent, and parent flocks and each step also multiplies the size of the flock to get to commercial production levels which commonly see the largest hatcheries set 1 million eggs per week. The commercial egg laying industry needs about 250,000,000 day old female chicks/year to keep production going for US needs. Put another way(and I think I did the math right), there are approximately 250,000 commercial roosters in the US getting the work done so that all of us can enjoy the approximately 280 eggs/capita each year we consume. It is substantially larger number for the meat bird industry, and the turkey industry is quite different as they use artificial insemination.

I don't live day to day in this part of the business, but in the commercial egg world we need 1 rooster for every 8 - 12 hens to "get the job done". More than that and the roosters will compete with each other for dominance. Less than that and the fertilization rate is not good. For every 100 eggs that come from the parent facility we will end up with 43 female chicks for egg production after 22 days of incubation and hatching. It is also very breed specific as to how often it happens, but not uncommon for the female parents to get upset with the roosters and kill them. The work of the genetics companies that supply commercial producers is fascinating and is rather intricate. They keep "pure" lines that are selected for general performance and can be traced all the way back to jungle fowl. They select from the best performers from a myriad of selectable traits and those become the great great grandparents. From those very few birds they create great grandparent, grand parent, and parent flocks and each step also multiplies the size of the flock to get to commercial production levels which commonly see the largest hatcheries set 1 million eggs per week. The commercial egg laying industry needs about 250,000,000 day old female chicks/year to keep production going for US needs. Put another way(and I think I did the math right), there are approximately 250,000 commercial roosters in the US getting the work done so that all of us can enjoy the approximately 280 eggs/capita each year we consume. It is substantially larger number for the meat bird industry, and the turkey industry is quite different as they use artificial insemination.

All that said, why have egg prices tripled or more??

All that said, why have egg prices tripled or more??

Funny you should ask that as I got a nice letter from Senator Warren yesterday asking the same question. I can give much more depth, but I've attached our national trade organization's flier to start with an answer. We lost two flocks to HPAI in late October and are just getting them back into production now.

Link to all the commercial and backyard HPAI detections.

Attachments

• UEP Background on Egg Prices February 2023.pdf
    420.6 KB · Views: 24
Funny you should ask that as I got a nice letter from Senator Warren yesterday asking the same question. I can give much more depth, but I've attached our national trade organization's flier to start with an answer. We lost two flocks to HPAI in late October and are just getting them back into production now.

Link to all the commercial and backyard HPAI detections.

I don't think I'd reply unless they enclosed a postage-paid envelope. And then the reply might be rather, uh, terse.

I don't think I'd reply unless they enclosed a postage-paid envelope. And then the reply might be rather, uh, terse.

She won't really care. She's worth over 60 million so us little folks don't even ruffle her feathers ...

You mean she's still wearing a tribal war bonnet?

Seems her arrow aim needs some work. As with James_Dean above she has before missed the mark when calling out the reason for high prices:

Warren accused the grocery chains of choosing greed over their employees.

“Your companies had a choice: They could have retained lower prices for consumers and properly protected and compensated their workers, or granted massive payouts to top executives and investors,” Warren wrote. “It is disappointing that you chose not to put your customers and workers first.”

Critics blasted Warren for attempting to cover the impact of inflation under Democrat control of Washington, D.C., by blaming the grocers.

https://www.dailywire.com/news/this...laming-grocery-stores-for-soaring-food-prices

At one time I had 3 roost to 12 hens. Ratio was a little off and holy hell. If men did what roosters do to hens and other roosters ...we'd look like Chicago.
Weird! Also as a frequent Chicago visitor, but knowing next to nothing about livestock, don't know that that means.

I think he's referring to the gang/gun violence Chicago is well known for.
I see. Weird call-out though. I think Chicago doesn't really even crack the top 10 when it comes to violent crime rate among US cities.

And I always like visiting, at least as someone who cares about pretty-looking buildings

Last edited:
I think I learned in high school that roosters were male hens, and they make a lot of noise and don't taste very good and are worthless for eggs.

They lay pipe 15-30 times a day. Best job ever or laborious chore???

Back