What Airplane Would you Buy a Raffle Ticket For?

What Aircraft Type Would You buy a Raffle Ticket For?

• 4-seat, Fixed Gear Certified

Votes: 47 66.2%
  • 2-seat, Fixed Gear Experimental (RV)

Votes: 20 28.2%
  • 4-seat, Retract Certified

Votes: 32 45.1%
  • Entry Piston Twin (310, Baron, Aztec, Seneca, etc.)

Votes: 16 22.5%
  • 2-seat taildragger certified (Cessna 120/140, Taylorcraft, Luscombe, etc.)

Votes: 24 33.8%
  • 2-seat taildragger experimental

Votes: 19 26.8%
  • 4-seat taildragger certified (Cessna 170/180, etc.)

Votes: 28 39.4%
  • I wouldn't buy a ticket for an airplane raffle

Votes: 6 8.5%
  • 2-seat taildragger aerobatic (Citabria, etc.)

Votes: 23 32.4%

• Total voters
I will buy a raffle for any plane, but as a winner of a 2 seat aircraft, I would go with 4 or more seats; unless it is a Cub. I quickly outgrew my 150 after training, which is why I sold it. Just having a little more horsepower and load carrying capability is a big thing.

The list is incomplete. Add a TBM and a Honda or Cirrus jet to the list and then we are starting to get interested.
Only if you can get those companies to donate one. ;)

If you do, then I might change my vote. :D

Otherwise, I don't buy raffle tickets. If I want to donate to a charity I just donate to them.

Otherwise, I don't buy raffle tickets. If I want to donate to a charity I just donate to them.

That's how I am as well. Traditionally we've done fundraising pleas and big donors have also made a large percentage of funds. But I'm also trying to think outside of our normal box.

That is true. I didn't include an LSA, although perhaps I should have. That said I don't think there are any LSAs that would fit a reasonable budget on the idea of a raffle.
Champ, Taylorcraft, any number of less common 2 seaters from the '40s, Avid Flyer, Kitfox, etc., etc., etc. And, of course, the ever popular (and ever overpriced (in my eyes)) Cub and Cub clones.

Champ, Taylorcraft, any number of less common 2 seaters from the '40s, Avid Flyer, Kitfox, etc., etc., etc. And, of course, the ever popular (and ever overpriced (in my eyes)) Cub and Cub clones.

Given that I'm generally thinking <$40k would be reasonable if we did it, I think it would mostly fall into the category of those older 2-seaters from the 40s that you mentioned. Those might be good options, and ones I hadn't considered.

Given that I'm generally thinking <$40k would be reasonable if we did it, I think it would mostly fall into the category of those older 2-seaters from the 40s that you mentioned. Those might be good options, and ones I hadn't considered.

Can a good Swift be had for that price point? I've always found those to be interesting.

Interesting stats that the 4-place, fixed gear single still remains the top spot, although 4-place retract single comes in a not too distant second.

Considering I'm a noob at that, you'd better get Ted to look over my shoulder. LOL.

I did however hire myself (that bastard that runs my LLC made me sign a letter that I work for it) and completed my initial TSA Security Training recently. Ha.

Now I can officially say, "Papers please.", and keep a photocopy of your identification for five years, and have a legal reason to do so. ;-)
Zee papers if you please..

$40k could get you a very nice Ercoupe.

I'd probably hesitate on a $40K piston-twin, lol. You might be able to pick up a serviceable Viking around $40K-50K.

While I'd buy a ticket for anything besides a certified non-aerobatic 2 seater, what I really need is a six seat single. Cherokee 6 260 or 300, Lance, Saratoga, 205, 206, or 210 will do nicely. Thank you Theodore.

Last edited:
Maybe I'm in the minority, but typically I don't look at raffles to get something I need. I look at raffles for something I wouldn't otherwise be buying. For example, I'm not going to be interested in a raffle for a regular sedan, but I'd be really interested in a raffle for a Willys Jeep.

A raffle is something where it wouldn't necessarily make sense to buy a toy like that. Of course, cars are different than planes. But to me a Cessna 120/140 is a perfect candidate because it fits in the $40k range for very nice one and has a historical charm to it that might appeal to more people.

I don't know, Ted, if I'm going to buy a raffle ticket, why not any of the choices? If I can't fly it, I can either be made to fly it, or sell it. It's all good, either way.

If I do happen to win a Citabria, or better yet an Extra or an Edge, you betcha I'm going to grab an aerobatic CFI and get some first rate skooling in it.

Might do that anyway, huh.

Reactions: Ted
Maybe I'm in the minority, but typically I don't look at raffles to get something I need. I look at raffles for something I wouldn't otherwise be buying. For example, I'm not going to be interested in a raffle for a regular sedan, but I'd be really interested in a raffle for a Willys Jeep.

A raffle is something where it wouldn't necessarily make sense to buy a toy like that. Of course, cars are different than planes. But to me a Cessna 120/140 is a perfect candidate because it fits in the $40k range for very nice one and has a historical charm to it that might appeal to more people.

I'd tend to agree with you. I'd personally be far more likely to buy a ticket for a raffle for an old taildragger. But I'm not going to buy a ticket for this raffle. :)

I would buy a ticket to win a buffalo.

Already butchered, wrapped in paper and frozen, that is....not the airplane....

Reactions: Ted

Agreed. I wouldn't likely be in the market for a Citabria as a first aircraft, or even a C172, but I might throw in some money at a raffle ticket at the small chance of a win. I could fly it for a year or longer and sell it off if it wasn't what I wanted to keep long-term. The sale of which might be enough to cover a decent amount on an aircraft I would want to keep.

A friend of mine who's selling his Cherokee 180 said he was all for it being the raffle plane. I'm going to do some more research on this, but the first ever Cloud Nine airplane raffle may come together soon.

Not to be confused with coming from together. ;)

Tell us about "Cloud Nine"?

I founded Cloud Nine over 8 years ago. We're a 501(c)3 that has flown over 2,000 homeless pets from areas where they will get put down due to overpopulation to areas where they will find loving homes. The overpopulation epidemic is mostly in the southeast US, receivers are in the northeast.

We also recently bought a stretcher and will start flying people who need transport for medical purposes and need a stretcher but don't need an air ambulance.

We're 100% volunteer, I've never taken a salary and neither has anyone else.

$40k could get you a very nice Ercoupe.

Might even get two for that price.

As far as the raffle, I like the North Dakota Air Museum (Think that's the name) approach. In addition the airplane, this year a J-3, they give away a leather flying jacket each week the raffle runs. If that's too big a deal, a second and third prize worth a couple hundred or so might make it more attractive.

Cheers

I think you need another option on this list. "One with wings".

I think the Ercoupe idea is good. Everyone I've ever spoken with has been intrigued by one. But when it comes down to where do I want to invest my money in a plane ... it's just too much of a toy for someone. But it would be a nice toy to win.

A friend of mine who's selling his Cherokee 180 said he was all for it being the raffle plane. I'm going to do some more research on this, but the first ever Cloud Nine airplane raffle may come together soon.

Not to be confused with coming from together. ;)

But then you'd be copycat of the Wings of Hope raffle this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back