What Airplane Would you Buy a Raffle Ticket For?

What Aircraft Type Would You buy a Raffle Ticket For?

• 4-seat, Fixed Gear Certified

Votes: 47 66.2%
  • 2-seat, Fixed Gear Experimental (RV)

Votes: 20 28.2%
  • 4-seat, Retract Certified

Votes: 32 45.1%
  • Entry Piston Twin (310, Baron, Aztec, Seneca, etc.)

Votes: 16 22.5%
  • 2-seat taildragger certified (Cessna 120/140, Taylorcraft, Luscombe, etc.)

Votes: 24 33.8%
  • 2-seat taildragger experimental

Votes: 19 26.8%
  • 4-seat taildragger certified (Cessna 170/180, etc.)

Votes: 28 39.4%
  • I wouldn't buy a ticket for an airplane raffle

Votes: 6 8.5%
  • 2-seat taildragger aerobatic (Citabria, etc.)

Votes: 23 32.4%

• Total voters

Ted

The pilot formerly known as Twin Engine Ted
Display Name

Display name:
iFlyNothing
Given that there are some aircraft raffles do for fund raisers every year, I have given thought to doing one as a fundraiser for Cloud Nine.

Obviously, interest would have to be broad enough that there would be enough tickets sold to be worthwhile.

So I am posting this non-scientific poll to get a general idea of interest. No guarantees that this would happen at all since obviously there is an investment aspect and other things going on. Given that there are other raffles done by other organizations, one thought is I'd probably want to do something that is different from the other raffles in terms of aircraft type to try to have less overlap. Then again, odds of winning are so low it probably doesn't matter.

Also, in addition to voting, please feel free to post any types in particular that you think would bring more appeal vs. less. Thought is that a plane would be in annual and flyable, but not restored or perfect. The condition and stats of the plane would be clearly stated in the auction ad.

Having a go fast retract, I'd be interested in a go slow gentleman's aerobatic plane. (Citabria/Decathlon)

Having a go fast retract, I'd be interested in a go slow gentleman's aerobatic plane. (Citabria/Decathlon)

I'll add a category to reflect aerobatic. Thanks, Bill. I hadn't thought of that.

Where's the "Warbird" option? I'd also accept "Radial Powered Multi-Engine."

I'd buy a raffle ticket for just about any aircraft that was in annual and had some moderate chance of winning/low ticket cost ($50 or less). Twin/Single, Certified/Experimental, Taildragger/Nosedragger makes no difference. I probably wouldn't be going after any powered parachutes or gyrocopters, but I wouldn't turn down a Kitfox or RV.

Where's the "Warbird" option? I'd also accept "Radial Powered Multi-Engine."

While I'd be all for that, I think the true interest there would be low. Most of us can't afford to operate a warbird or radial powered twin.

I'd buy a raffle ticket for just about any aircraft that was in annual and had some moderate chance of winning/low ticket cost ($50 or less). Twin/Single, Certified/Experimental, Taildragger/Nosedragger makes no difference. I probably wouldn't be going after any powered parachutes or gyrocopters, but I wouldn't turn down a Kitfox or RV.

This brings up another good question - is $50 or less is a good price point? I know that Wings of Hope does $50 per ticket or $125 for 3 tickets. It seems to work for them.

The list is incomplete. Add a TBM and a Honda or Cirrus jet to the list and then we are starting to get interested.

The list is incomplete. Add a TBM and a Honda or Cirrus jet to the list and then we are starting to get interested.

Only if you can get those companies to donate one. ;)

this was going to be my response.

While I'd be all for that, I think the true interest there would be low. Most of us can't afford to operate a warbird or radial powered twin.

You're not wrong, but I'd be willing to sell some stuff (I don't need that second kidney) and change some things in order to afford to operate one if given the opportunity :)

Reactions: Ted
Those are items I probably wouldn't consider due to the tax bill alone, let alone the fact that I wouldn't be able to afford to do anything more than take it around the patch one or twice with someone typed in a turbine!

Are you sure you want to raffle off an airplane? I assume this raffle is to benefit your pooch flying, and lots of nonpilots love dogs. Maybe a car or a PWC instead?

Having said that, I'd buy a ticket for a O-360 powered four seater.

I would actually do a six seat certified (C205, Cherokee 6, etc) as my first choice. Twin is my second

I'm always wary of raffles like this. What if I win? I now have an airplane, sweet! But are there sales taxes involved? How much? Title transfer fees? Is it in annual? Should I get another annual done by a different mechanic to make sure there isn't something hidden that's going to cost me more money to fix or sell than I actually save by getting a "free" airplane?

But, not being an owner, I'd probably be more likely to buy a ticket for the type of plane I'd actually own for myself: either a 4-seat fixed gear conventional, or a 2-seat tail-dragger.

Are you sure you want to raffle off an airplane? I assume this raffle is to benefit your pooch flying, and lots of nonpilots love dogs. Maybe a car or a PWC instead?

I have thought about that as well. One of the issues is getting the word out and reaching the right audience. The nice thing about an airplane auction is that airplanes, well, fly. So you get a nationwide audience of pilots. It doesn't matter if the airplane is in Kansas, if you're in California or New York you still could buy it. I don't have good connections locally (having only been here a year) so while I could auction a PWC, car, etc. on Facebook, it'd be harder to advertise, I think. That might work better if I was able to work with a company on a national level (anyone have contacts at Yamaha, Kawasaki, etc.?) that could work through their dealer network.

Also, one of the hard parts with fundraising is always the "What's in it for me?" question. With a raffle for an airplane, hopefully we'd draw from people who like airplanes and people who like saving puppies. Also note that we just bought a stretcher, so hopefully we can also draw on people who like helping people, too.

I do like your idea, though, and will think about it some more.

I'm always wary of raffles like this. What if I win? I now have an airplane, sweet! But are there sales taxes involved? How much? Title transfer fees? Is it in annual? Should I get another annual done by a different mechanic to make sure there isn't something hidden that's going to cost me more money to fix or sell than I actually save by getting a "free" airplane?

The answer would be something that's in annual - I think auctioning something off otherwise just doesn't make any sense.

Your other questions are certainly valid, which is why I also included the "I wouldn't buy a ticket for an airplane raffle" option. I would also include in the information that if you decided you didn't want the airplane, you could donate it back to Cloud Nine or then try to immediately resell it.

I buy the tickets on the merit of the cause, not the plane. If I win something I don't want I can sell it for more than the taxes. When I don't win (most of the time) I've helped a good organization.

It's highly unlikely anyone will win there dream plane, boat, house, motorcycle, or ______ in a raffle.

Pretty much anything I could (reasonably) get trained to fly. That said, my current hot buttons are traveling machines, so 4+ seat and faster IFR certified would be my top choices.

Pretty much anything I could (reasonably) get trained to fly. That said, my current hot buttons are traveling machines, so 4+ seat and faster IFR certified would be my top choices.

What do you consider faster?

M20C/E/F, or A36?

I find it interesting that there's a 3-way tie for 2nd place, specifically on the twin. I honestly expected very few people would want a twin at raffle.

I can't remember where I've read it, but I *think* that AOPA includes some tax accountant advice to their raffle winners. Their planes are fairly well loaded, so winning one of them is not insignificant. I also thought I read that most of the winners end up selling right away, paying off taxes, and enjoying the rest - maybe even on a new plane.

I can't remember where I've read it, but I *think* that AOPA includes some tax accountant advice to their raffle winners. Their planes are fairly well loaded, so winning one of them is not insignificant. I also thought I read that most of the winners end up selling right away, paying off taxes, and enjoying the rest - maybe even on a new plane.

To be clear, I'm thinking an <$40k plane, not a $100k+ plane. So the taxes would still not be insignificant, but it wouldn't be a fairly well loaded deal.

Well, my thought regarding the taxes was the fact that you're likely getting the aircraft for 1/3 of market value or less. So if you decide to keep it and not sell when taxes come due, you can always get a loan at that time if you don't want to have the cash outlay. Getting a $15K loan on a $40K+ aircraft shouldn't be too difficult.

I'd buy a ticket for just about anything for a good cause. I don't plan to win. If I win another one, well, I'm not picky. Sell or keep, it's all a net gain.

Reactions: Ted
That's the downside to all these raffles, if you win you get something you probably isn't what you'd buy with your own money otherwise. Of course, while a cash prize is more desirable I imagine an airplane is more marketable for these sorts of things.

That's the downside to all these raffles, if you win you get something you probably isn't what you'd buy with your own money otherwise. Of course, while a cash prize is more desirable I imagine an airplane is more marketable for these sorts of things.
I wonder if cash prizes change any of the legal complications... making it a lottery instead of a raffle? Plus, a bag of cash doesn't look nearly as pretty on marketing literature, and getting a donated airplane and then donated parts and labor to raffle it off are probably easier than soliciting cash for the same raffle.

I wonder if cash prizes change any of the legal complications... making it a lottery instead of a raffle? Plus, a bag of cash doesn't look nearly as pretty on marketing literature, and getting a donated airplane and then donated parts and labor to raffle it off are probably easier than soliciting cash for the same raffle.
The Mighty Millions raffle, here in Colorado, that raises money for Children's Hospital, includes a hefty cash prize along with the actual prize. Presumably that's to pay for taxes. But their grand prizes are quite large. For example, a million dollar+ home and high-dollar cars.

Yep, 1/3000 odds for a $50 ticket is worth the flier for me. I'll bid on most anything if the odds are decent.

I think sweetening the deal by having a recent OH or panel/ADS-B upgrade makes a big difference as well.

To be clear, I'm thinking an <$40k plane, not a $100k+ plane. So the taxes would still not be insignificant, but it wouldn't be a fairly well loaded deal.

uh, so I voted twin. with this previously undisclosed info I will change my answer.

uh, so I voted twin. with this previously undisclosed info I will change my answer.

I should have included that info. My general thought is that a twin has limited market anyway since fewer people can fly or afford to fly one.

Maybe you could get @denverpilot to donate the training for the AMEL :)

Considering I'm a noob at that, you'd better get Ted to look over my shoulder. LOL.

I did however hire myself (that bastard that runs my LLC made me sign a letter that I work for it) and completed my initial TSA Security Training recently. Ha.

Now I can officially say, "Papers please.", and keep a photocopy of your identification for five years, and have a legal reason to do so. ;-)

I buy the tickets on the merit of the cause, not the plane. If I win something I don't want I can sell it for more than the taxes. When I don't win (most of the time) I've helped a good organization.

It's highly unlikely anyone will win there dream plane, boat, house, motorcycle, or ______ in a raffle.

You're never going to win with that attitude. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Since I'm training for my Sport ticket, I'd only buy a ticket for an LSA. A Bristell would be great. But an LSA wasn't on your list.

Since I'm training for my Sport ticket, I'd only buy a ticket for an LSA. A Bristell would be great. But an LSA wasn't on your list.

That is true. I didn't include an LSA, although perhaps I should have. That said I don't think there are any LSAs that would fit a reasonable budget on the idea of a raffle.

Back