What a day - IR checkride

gil_mor

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
gil_mor
It is now 4am, so please forgive my English.
Yesterday started as "Just one of those days".

After I got scheduled, and re-scheduled, and re-re-scheduled - it looked like I was actually going to take my IR checkride.
For those of you who don't know, the 1964 Cessna 210 I have been flying had gear issues since day one; it delayed my checkride since November :mad2:
I gave the plane 3 strikes, it was on strike 2 for a while.

I haven't flown the plane for about a month so the CFII and I agreed it would be best if we both fly it early in the morning (of the checkride?) to remind myself how to fly it. GOOD idea - I get to the plane and (realize) someone (had) left the master on.:nono:

The mechanics got the plane charged for a while, jump start it, and we are in business. We saw a good charge on the battery and proceeded to practice some approaches.

Plane flies great, and I'm thinking "Oh well, day started off bad, but all is well now".
BOY, WAS I WRONG.

First approach, final approach fix, "Gear goes down, flaps go... HEY, WHY IS EVERYTHING BLACK?!"
As soon as I put the gear down - complete electrical failure!:yikes:

We toggle the master, check fuses, turn everything off- nothing.
I was flying the approach, CFII trying to figure it out. We are getting closer to the pattern, and still nothing.
Worst thing is that we have no indication for the gear down or not.

After a few hairy minutes and a lot of pumps from the emergency handle, CFII puts us on the ground, great soft field landing. As soon as we are off the runway, he gives tower a call to tell them what happened.

We taxi back to the hanger. I'm thinking about re-re-re-scheduled the checkride that is now about an hour away.
A&P and CFII think the issue is with the field charge - I know nothing about that, but they feel very confident that the battery was so drained –that the alternator gave up. We decide to charge the plane for a GOOD while - while I do the oral - have them check it out, and if it checks out - do the practical.

To make a long story short, DPE gets delayed because of flap problems in his plane and won't answer his phone.
IACRA gets massed up and CFII had to go because of the delay.
But, eventually, we finish the oral, and do the practical without the plane falling apart even once!

As we are walking away from the plane I tell the DPE (nice easy going young guy) - "I really really don't want to fly this plane any more, please tell me that I don't have to fly it anymore".

He says - "You don't".

I'll share the info about the oral and the practical soon, I promise.
You'll get a laugh and possible a face palm, maybe both at the same time. We did.
It’s 5:00am by now and I think it’s time for bed.

A big thank you to you guys for helping me along the way, I learned a lot here and I very much appreciate everyone's good luck wishes and advices, I needed both.

:wonderwoman::wonderwoman::wonderwoman:

:cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers:

Well done! I'm glad that you finally have this behind you! Now you'll have to fly to a state that actually has some clouds!

Congratulations

Well done! I'm glad that you finally have this behind you! Now you'll have to fly to a state that actually has some clouds!
Thanks Jason, we actually had 2000ft ceiling through the day, had to modify the approaches on the fly.
The thing about Az is that when we get clouds that are above freezing they often the CB type.
TMetzinger said:
Congratulations! Took me some time to figure out that you passed.
Thanks Tim. Yea, not flying the 210 = passed. I think I'd rather take another checkride then fly that plane right now.
HPNPilot1200 said:
Nice work! You had be going there for a minute... thought it was going to result in a discontinuance. Congrats!!
Thanks, Jason. So did I. Through the test. In fact, at one point he mentioned that he was once in a plane that had an electrical fire due to hydraulic pump left on, at which point I told him not to mention hydraulic pump until we are on the ground.

Thanks David, Tracey, Badger and Randy.
denverpilot said:
Congrats! Please don't fly that POS anymore.
Thanks Nate, I'm going to really really try. I'm going to need a complex airplane for the CPL, and since I'm probably going to use the same DPE who knows I can fly the 210 - it might be tempting. For the time being - thanks but no thanks 210. I'll let others fly it for a while, and keep an eye for other planes.

The mechanics got the plane charged for a while, jump start it, and we are in business. We saw a good charge on the battery and proceeded to practice some approaches.

Plane flies great, and I'm thinking "Oh well, day started off bad, but all is well now".
BOY, WAS I WRONG.

First approach, final approach fix, "Gear goes down, flaps go... HEY, WHY IS EVERYTHING BLACK?!"
As soon as I put the gear down - complete electrical failure!:yikes:
First of all congratulations. Many folks claim the IR checkride is the most challenging of all the ratings.

Second, consider that you've learned a valuable lesson. A dead battery isn't something to be treated lightly, especially when it's the result of leaving the master on overnight (which results in a totally discharged and to some extent damaged battery). If you're ever faced with that again either have the battery fully charged on the ground (takes an hour or two) or don't expect to have any electrical power in the air. The scenario you described is common. I.E. dead battery, jump start, alternator seems to be charging until a heavy load like the landing gear or landing lights is brought online, after which the alternator quits, won't come back, and the battery is dead again. In a pinch you can to some extent determine if you're likely to lose all electrical power in the air by turning on a landing light and switching the alternator off for 15 seconds. If the alternator begins charging the battery again when you turn it back on it will probably do so if you overload the battery in the air but that's not guaranteed and even if the alternator is capable of self energizing (very few are), until the battery gets recharged you have no backup electrical source if the alternator fails in flight.

Finally, letting the alternator recharge a dead or nearly dead battery in flight is very hard on the battery and will shorten it's life each time you do it.

First of all congratulations. Many folks claim the IR checkride is the most challenging of all the ratings.
Thanks Lance! I think the CFI is going to be harder, but time will tell.
Second, consider that you've learned a valuable lesson. A dead battery isn't something to be treated lightly, especially when it's the result of leaving the master on overnight (which results in a totally discharged and to some extent damaged battery). If you're ever faced with that again either have the battery fully charged on the ground (takes an hour or two) or don't expect to have any electrical power in the air. The scenario you described is common. I.E. dead battery, jump start, alternator seems to be charging until a heavy load like the landing gear or landing lights is brought online, after which the alternator quits, won't come back, and the battery is dead again. In a pinch you can to some extent determine if you're likely to lose all electrical power in the air by turning on a landing light and switching the alternator off for 15 seconds. If the alternator begins charging the battery again when you turn it back on it will probably do so if you overload the battery in the air but that's not guaranteed and even if the alternator is capable of self energizing (very few are), until the battery gets recharged you have no backup electrical source if the alternator fails in flight.

Finally, letting the alternator recharge a dead or nearly dead battery in flight is very hard on the battery and will shorten it's life each time you do it.
Very interesting read, thanks for sharing, its good to know the "why?" of the "what?".

coflyer said:
Congratulations!
Just did mine two weeks ago.
Thanks coflyer! Congrats to you too!

As promised – here is some interesting or funny info from the ride:

The oral was pretty straight forward, he had me plan a simple xc and flight plan before hand, had me explain it to him, we talked about the enroute chart weather, etc. We went to the computer and he had me show him NOAA's maps and explain it.
The last question was a go/no go real life "your father is dieing" question. He gave me all the time I needed to figure out if I would or wouldn't go. Very good question. Answer was – conditions are fine other then embedded CB that can kill you without a radar.

The Checkride was funny. Through my training - when I mess up, I usually (try) to laugh it off. I was laughing A LOT.

We are sitting in the runup area, I set all the instruments, double check, Ident the VOR and ILS (to be on the safe side if I'll forget later). We take off, I start turning to my first heading, I know its going to be about 100° turn, I look at the DG and… ITS 180° OFF. It took me about 1 second and then I started laughing "Its been a LONG while since I've done that".
It was a bumpy ride, lots of thermals, at times I was about 10° nose down and kept my altitude – I actually did pretty well on keeping my altitude and headings for the most part.

Flying the GPS LPV approach, Instead of activating the leg I was joining– I hit Direct To the next waypoint. I know the difference but for some reason I did it twice on the checkride. Not sure why. Having hard time setting the right power, the MP lags so much that I find myself 2-3" above or below what I want to do. Overcontrolled a little, but kept the needles well centered. I thought it was a nice approach.
Then we go missed. Power in, hitting the OBS button too early – BEFORE the MAP.
I realized it as soon as I hit it, and said I'm going to "fly the plane" first then fix it – the missed starts with a straight ahead climb.
Again hitting "Direct to" instead of "Activate Leg". Again not sure why.

Here is the funny part: We are on our way to the holding fix, which is pretty far from the MAP, I level off and we both notice that the IAS is not climbing much.
I think nothing of it until he says "Is it possible that you are forgetting something".

Anyone wants to guess what I forget on the missed?
Did you guess Flaps? You are correct!
Did you guess Gear? You are ALSO correct!
What an idiot, I mean, Really? I told him not to tell anyone. This is embarrassing. I NEVER do that kind of stuff.

We do the VOR-A approach next. It has a hard missed approach procedure. I ask if I can load the approach on the GPS while using the VOR – to my surprise – he agrees.
I make a very good approach, and the missed was a breeze. He makes me enter the hold which is really easy with the GPS overlay. My inbound leg is 56 seconds. I'm impressed.

For Unusual altitudes he had a brilliant idea – He had me close my eyes and put my chin to the chest. Enter what I think is standard rate turn, then told me to stop turn. After a few seconds he says, open eyes and recover.
I think every pilot should do that.

Made another good VOR approach, circle to land, talked about some related and unrelated stuff and then he took my license and gave me a piece of paper instead.

Like the PPL checkride, I make mistakes, but not the kind that will kill me/us. So, license to learn.

Last edited:
Way to go! Sure feels good to have that ride done, doesn't it? How do you spell relief? IR ride passed!

Thanks azure!
Ghery - you are so right, it wasn't that - "I'm a Pilot" kind of sensation, it was more like - "Ok, done with that, next".

Two questions that came up in the test:

1. Circling approach - he said something about - stay at circling minimum until within 30 degrees from the runway.
I started my 1300ft descent when I was abeam the numbers, and admitted I was not familiar with that reg.

I looked in the books and all I could find is "Maintain circling minimum until continuously in a position from which a descent to a landing on the intended runway can be made at a normal rate of descent using normal maneuvers".

2. Hold at SEZCY on the RNAV (GPS) RWY 3
(See attached).
I was flying the FLG transition to SEZCY. My game plan was to fly to SEZCY, then enter teardrop, then hold, then continue the approach.
Both the DPE and GPS thought I should enter a teardrop, then continue the approach - meaning - SKIP the actual holding.

Any ideas?

Attachments

• 05034R3.PDF
    242.4 KB · Views: 6
Thanks azure!
Ghery - you are so right, it wasn't that - "I'm a Pilot" kind of sensation, it was more like - "Ok, done with that, next".

(See attached).
I was flying the FLG transition to SEZCY. My game plan was to fly to SEZCY, then enter teardrop, then hold, then continue the approach.
Both the DPE and GPS thought I should enter a teardrop, then continue the approach - meaning - SKIP the actual holding.

Any ideas?

I can see that if you do the teardrop you would then be established inbound and not need to go around hold.

1 - The DPE gave you good advice, but that's not a regulation.
2 - When you have a hold in lieu of a procedure turn, all you should do is get established in the hold somewhere, make the course reversal, and continue the approach. You're not supposed to go around the entire hold unless that's the only way you get established on the final approach course.

2 - When you have a hold in lieu of a procedure turn, all you should do is get established in the hold somewhere, make the course reversal, and continue the approach. You're not supposed to go around the entire hold unless that's the only way you get established on the final approach course.
Oh, I knew that. :rolleyes:
I mean, I read about it, but have never done it before.
I just didn't put the 2 together.
Thanks

Last edited:
Thanks azure!

1. Circling approach - he said something about - stay at circling minimum until within 30 degrees from the runway.
I started my 1300ft descent when I was abeam the numbers, and admitted I was not familiar with that reg.

I looked in the books and all I could find is "Maintain circling minimum until continuously in a position from which a descent to a landing on the intended runway can be made at a normal rate of descent using normal maneuvers".
That's the rule, the DE's recommendation would only apply to CTL with fairly low mins. If the CTL min is 1200 AGL you need to start down a lot sooner than when you're heading is within 30° of the runway and at 300 AGL (IIRC the lowest possible CTL min) 30° may be too soon. CTL is really a fairly complex 3D operation. You need to stay within the protected area, keep the runway in sight, and manage your descent so as to arrive at the touchdown zone at the appropriate speed. Also it's important to realize that once you leave the MDA you may have to avoid obstacles visually. For that reason alone it's worth trying to delay the descent until it's necessary. And if visibility and cloud bases permit, there's no good reason to descend all the way to the MDA until you have to start down for the landing.

(See attached).

Any ideas?

A HILOPT is just another way of charting a course reversal. AFaIK the primary reason for putting one on an approach instead of the usual 45° barb is to make it easy to deal with the need to lose a lot of altitude.
The key thing to remember is that unless you have asked for and received permission from ATC you should cross (or pass near) the holding fix exactly two times, once on the way into the hold and once on the way out.

Congratulations! It's funny that you tuned the ILS on the ground, but didn't have to do an ILS.

1 - The DPE gave you good advice, but that's not a regulation.

Correct. Circling minimum or above... never below.

Jesse and I talked about that one quite a bit.

He had another good piece of advice... "If the runway has a precision approach light system, don't start down from MDA until you can see it AND you're on the glideslope... or above it."

The thought here being that you can't see the lights until you're in a position to land.

I got a few chances to see how easy it'd be to kill yourself doing circle-to-land procedures at night. It's a bit eerie wandering around an unfamiliar airport in the dark at 400' AGL.

I'd think long and hard about whether it was really worth doing, as far as personal minima goes... I know a few folks just say "no".

Correct. Circling minimum or above... never below.

Jesse and I talked about that one quite a bit.

He had another good piece of advice... "If the runway has a precision approach light system, don't start down from MDA until you can see it AND you're on the glideslope... or above it."

The thought here being that you can't see the lights until you're in a position to land.
Again, that really depends on the MDA. IME when the MDA is high (e.g. 900 AGL) you have to start down before you can see the VASI/PAPI or you won't make it to the touchdown zone without using an excessive descent rate.

I got a few chances to see how easy it'd be to kill yourself doing circle-to-land procedures at night. It's a bit eerie wandering around an unfamiliar airport in the dark at 400' AGL.

I'd think long and hard about whether it was really worth doing, as far as personal minima goes... I know a few folks just say "no".
I've done a fair number of CTL approaches at or near mins and I won't do them at night unless I'm very familiar with the airport. Not only is it way too easy to run into stuff, it's also possible to mis-identify the runway and line up on the wrong thing. OTOH, if the ceiling and visibility require an approach but allow the CTL altitude to be at or near normal pattern level I don't see them as much more difficult or dangerous than a VFR night landing to the same runway.

Congrats on getting your ticket.

Q: Why did the CFII take the plane away from you instead of you working the issue as PIC? Would that not have been a good confidence booster for you?
Q: Why did the DPE take your Private License. Don't they just add something to the computer that gives you the Instrument privelidges and then mail a new one to you. Are they required to ensure destruction of your plastic?

I've done a fair number of CTL approaches at or near mins and I won't do them at night unless I'm very familiar with the airport. Not only is it way too easy to run into stuff, it's also possible to mis-identify the runway and line up on the wrong thing. OTOH, if the ceiling and visibility require an approach but allow the CTL altitude to be at or near normal pattern level I don't see them as much more difficult or dangerous than a VFR night landing to the same runway.

I don't have much experience yet but I've already mentally sworn off CTL approaches (when the ceiling is below pattern altitude or visibility is a factor) to unfamiliar airports at night. I won't even make VFR night approaches into an unfamiliar airport unless its a well maintained public airport. I make a nice, deliberate pattern with a stabilized approach, and any glide slope info available (visual GS or an ILS) is followed.

Congrats on passing!!

Last edited:
Mazel Tov on the IR! I like to say when I got my private I learned not to kill myself or my pax. When I got the IR I learned to fly the plane!

Also don't feel embarassed about the DG. One thing I was always good at was flight planning during my private, this was back in 2002 before all these fancy flight planners I used a chart, E6B and Plotter. I loved it and was proud of the job I did. So then on my check ride the DPE tells me the night before to plan a trip to PVD. The day of the ride I take off and my plan tells me to turn to 100* Keep in mind I'm flying from Philly to Rhode Island. About 5 seconds into the turn I'm thinking uh last I checked Rhode Island was NOT south east of Pennsylvania. I felt like an idiot but I immediatly caught my error and corrected it which somehow impressed the DPE who passed me.

Great work!

Congratulations! It's funny that you tuned the ILS on the ground, but didn't have to do an ILS.
Thanks Stan.
Well, the RNAV had an LPV so it was pretty much the same.
I'm actually glad I did ident the ILS, I mean - I forget to raise the gear, what are the chances I'll remember to ident?
gizmo said:
Probably the first or 2nd IFR training we had a talk about CTL.
Ny CFII felt quite strongly against low CTL - low, slow, high workload and a fresh pilot = high risk.
Congrats on getting your ticket.

Q: Why did the CFII take the plane away from you instead of you working the issue as PIC? Would that not have been a good confidence booster for you?
Q: Why did the DPE take your Private License. Don't they just add something to the computer that gives you the Instrument privelidges and then mail a new one to you. Are they required to ensure destruction of your plastic?

A: I was flying the plane for the most part. And to be honest, if I was the CFII - I would FOR SURE have landed the plane - no indication of landing gear actually being down = a chance for nosewheel collapsing, prop strike, a lot of $$ lost. Maybe even slight injury.
When the insurance/FAA ask who had to the controls - I think answering a low time pilot VS highly experienced CFI might raise an eyebrow.

A: He actually asked me if I wanted it back - which I did (my first after all) - He cut the piece of hologram on the bottom and gave it back.
He printed a temp paper (like the one you get after the PPL checkride).

Who was the DE you went with?

Congrats! The IR is a huge milestone.

I went with Todd Underwood from Prescott.
I was very impressed with his style - friendly, thorough, had a checklist with him through the oral and practical and took notes for the debriefing.
Plus, he didn't fail me :)
I dare to say I enjoyed the check ride.

I don't have much experience yet but I've already mentally sworn off CTL approaches (when the ceiling is below pattern altitude or visibility is a factor) to unfamiliar airports at night. I won't even make VFR night approaches into an unfamiliar airport unless its a well maintained public airport. I make a nice, deliberate pattern with a stabilized approach, and any glide slope info available (visual GS or an ILS) is followed.

Congrats on passing!!

Thanks!
I tend to agree with the low CTL at night, although the CTL i was doing 1300AGL, which is probably not super common.

Mazel Tov on the IR! I like to say when I got my private I learned not to kill myself or my pax. When I got the IR I learned to fly the plane!

Also don't feel embarassed about the DG. One thing I was always good at was flight planning during my private, this was back in 2002 before all these fancy flight planners I used a chart, E6B and Plotter. I loved it and was proud of the job I did. So then on my check ride the DPE tells me the night before to plan a trip to PVD. The day of the ride I take off and my plan tells me to turn to 100* Keep in mind I'm flying from Philly to Rhode Island. About 5 seconds into the turn I'm thinking uh last I checked Rhode Island was NOT south east of Pennsylvania. I felt like an idiot but I immediatly caught my error and corrected it which somehow impressed the DPE who passed me.

Great work!
תודה רבה!
I felt XCs really taught me how to fly the plane.
IR taught me to multi-task, when one of the tasks is flying the plane pretty precisely.
Ha, yea, going to PVD should have been something like 070 instead of a 100? At least you didn't advise a certain tower in New-Mexico you are going to fly East to Arizona. :rofl:
The DPE knows we are going to make mistakes, he is waiting to see if we are going to catch it in a timely manner and fix them. Which we both did.

Thanks Stan.
Well, the RNAV had an LPV so it was pretty much the same.
I'm actually glad I did ident the ILS, I mean - I forget to raise the gear, what are the chances I'll remember to ident?

Probably the first or 2nd IFR training we had a talk about CTL.
Ny CFII felt quite strongly against low CTL - low, slow, high workload and a fresh pilot = high risk.

A: I was flying the plane for the most part. And to be honest, if I was the CFII - I would FOR SURE have landed the plane - no indication of landing gear actually being down = a chance for nosewheel collapsing, prop strike, a lot of $$ lost. Maybe even slight injury.
When the insurance/FAA ask who had to the controls - I think answering a low time pilot VS highly experienced CFI might raise an eyebrow.

A: He actually asked me if I wanted it back - which I did (my first after all) - He cut the piece of hologram on the bottom and gave it back.
He printed a temp paper (like the one you get after the PPL checkride).

I went with Todd Underwood from Prescott.
I was very impressed with his style - friendly, thorough, had a checklist with him through the oral and practical and took notes for the debriefing.
Plus, he didn't fail me :)
I dare to say I enjoyed the check ride.

Thanks!
I tend to agree with the low CTL at night, although the CTL i was doing 1300AGL, which is probably not super common.

תודה רבה!
I felt XCs really taught me how to fly the plane.
IR taught me to multi-task, when one of the tasks is flying the plane pretty precisely.
Ha, yea, going to PVD should have been something like 070 instead of a 100? At least you didn't advise a certain tower in New-Mexico you are going to fly East to Arizona. :rofl:
The DPE knows we are going to make mistakes, he is waiting to see if we are going to catch it in a timely manner and fix them. Which we both did.

If the examiner knows how to conduct the exam, it should be enjoyable. I've taken 4 checkrides so far and all have been enjoyable thanks to good examiners.

If the examiner knows how to conduct the exam, it should be enjoyable. I've taken 4 checkrides so far and all have been enjoyable thanks to good examiners.
My PPL wasn't very enjoyable, I didn't really make any mistakes, but the DPE made me feel like I don't know what I'm doing "Let me show you how its done" kind of energy.
Truth is - I didn't know much, but still he could have said "would you like to learn something"?

Glad you had 4 enjoyable checkrides.

Late to your thread, but congrats to you belated!
Thanks Kim!

If anyone is interested, I just finished (I think) summing all the $ numbers.

Its not 100% accurate because I have taken a mock checkride and a few lessons with my old instructor. Plus got discounts here and there. but the (rounded) numbers are:
45 hours of dual
10 hours in 172
35 hours in 210
$140 for the knowledge test
$450 for the DPE

Total - $8300

The funny thing is that my private was $7900

Its a lot of money, but you gotta do what you gotta do.
I'm hoping the CFI will be less. We'll see.

Thanks Kim!

If anyone is interested, I just finished (I think) summing all the $ numbers.

Its not 100% accurate because I have taken a mock checkride and a few lessons with my old instructor. Plus got discounts here and there. but the (rounded) numbers are:
45 hours of dual
10 hours in 172
35 hours in 210
$140 for the knowledge test
$450 for the DPE

Total - $8300

The funny thing is that my private was $7900

Its a lot of money, but you gotta do what you gotta do.
I'm hoping the CFI will be less. We'll see.

Shame on you! I suggest you delete this post. None of us really want to add up how much our flying adventures cost, nor be reminded of these costs whatsoever! :D

By the way, I think I paid $300 for a DPE for my instrument rating 18 months ago. $450 seems high.

Congrats, well done, and don't worry about electrical failures during your PP-glider check ride! :D

Shame on you! I suggest you delete this post. None of us really want to add up how much our flying adventures cost, nor be reminded of these costs whatsoever! :D

By the way, I think I paid $300 for a DPE for my instrument rating 18 months ago. $450 seems high.
Yea, it used to be $400 until very recently. Hi pretty much control the market right now, but at least he is a good guy.

Congrats, well done, and don't worry about electrical failures during your PP-glider check ride! :D
Thanks rottydaddy.
No kidding. Unlike certain 210s I don't think the Vacuum pump nor the hydrological pump will try to kill me either.

Also, I think I should be able to get the PP-glider for about 1k, instead of 8. Which is VERY nice.

Thank you for posting your money totals. It will help a lot of pilots out there. And it just reminds me why I can't get my IR anytime soon.

Thank you for posting your money totals. It will help a lot of pilots out there. And it just reminds me why I can't get my IR anytime soon.

Yea, when you sum it all up - it adds up.
It took me about 8 months, so about 1k a month. Which is still a lot.
But, if you plan for it, its possible.

For me - its "Tuition" which I hope one day (or within few years) will pay for itself.

Yea, when you sum it all up - it adds up.
It took me about 8 months, so about 1k a month. Which is still a lot.
But, if you plan for it, its possible.

For me - its "Tuition" which I hope one day (or within few years) will pay for itself.

Explain? (Sorry for not knowing.)

If your plan is to be a CFI, is that full time or as a "second" job (assuming you have a first job)?

Back