What’s the secret trick for getting a plug into a child proof socket?

Carefully slide a small screwdriver behind the sliding piece, twist and pry that sucker out. Then you will not have a problem any more. Do every outlet in your home. Fix any replacement outlets prior to installation, when you can get a better angle and don't have to worry about shocking yourself.
It's just a faceplate. Replace with standard from Home Depot. Get 10 for a few bucks.

The problem I'm running into is the parent of my grandchild. That would be my daughter. She is all brainwashed into the new bubble wrap method of child rearing and makes commentary about "child proofing" our home for when they visit.

Take my new blinds for example. Kids hang themselves in blind cords okay I get that. So they make the cords in two pieces now instead of the old deadly loop, or if they are tied together it's got a break apart piece. This is what I bought but nooooo it's not good enough says daughter. She got the ones with no strings at all, there's a button on the bottom you push to raise or lower the blind. That doesn't work for me because the windows are to the floor and I have a bad back, I don't want to bend to the floor every time I raise or lower the blinds. I'm not going to deal with that every single day because they are going to visit one week out of the whole year for Christmas.

Same with the electric outlets. But for those we can buy the plugs you can remove when they're gone. I refuse to put the toilet lid lock on all my toilets. Trying to figure out how to break open the toilet in the dark at 3:00 am while on the verge of dribbling was the highlight of my visit to their house. And no, you don't learn it once and get it, it was not user friendly nor intuitive which I'm sure is the point. Don't get me started with child proof pill bottles.

When I was a young mom I knew about all these dangers and I addressed them by using good old "constant supervision". But then I didn't have a cell phone so maybe the younguns these days can't manage to keep their eyes on their toddlers.

But then I didn't have a cell phone so maybe the younguns these days can't manage to keep their eyes on their toddlers.

You sure about the cause-effect relationship? Perhaps it's risk compensation at play. :)

The problem I'm running into is the parent of my grandchild. That would be my daughter. She is all brainwashed into the new bubble wrap method of child rearing and makes commentary about "child proofing" our home for when they visit.

Take my new blinds for example. Kids hang themselves in blind cords okay I get that. So they make the cords in two pieces now instead of the old deadly loop, or if they are tied together it's got a break apart piece. This is what I bought but nooooo it's not good enough says daughter. She got the ones with no strings at all, there's a button on the bottom you push to raise or lower the blind. That doesn't work for me because the windows are to the floor and I have a bad back, I don't want to bend to the floor every time I raise or lower the blinds. I'm not going to deal with that every single day because they are going to visit one week out of the whole year for Christmas.

Same with the electric outlets. But for those we can buy the plugs you can remove when they're gone. I refuse to put the toilet lid lock on all my toilets. Trying to figure out how to break open the toilet in the dark at 3:00 am while on the verge of dribbling was the highlight of my visit to their house. And no, you don't learn it once and get it, it was not user friendly nor intuitive which I'm sure is the point. Don't get me started with child proof pill bottles.

When I was a young mom I knew about all these dangers and I addressed them by using good old "constant supervision". But then I didn't have a cell phone so maybe the younguns these days can't manage to keep their eyes on their toddlers.
We're running into baby-proofing situations of our own. My nieces and nephews are having babies (no grandkids for us yet), and when they visit we get a reminder of just how much stuff those little rascals can get into. Fortunately, we don't have to worry about things for more than an hour or so at a time. I don't remember being overly cautious with our own kids. We did put drawer and cupboard latches in our kitchen, but that was to serve two purposes: 1) keep them out for their own safety, and 2) keep them out so we wouldn't have to keep picking up after them. My nephew and his wife take the same route we did, leave one cupboard door available and keep all the Tupperware there. The kid can't hurt anything that way and nobody minds kicking a plastic bowl across the floor if you don't see it.

What is a toilet bowl lock for ? Are kids drinking from the toilet bowl ?

Sometimes I'm amazed how any kid could have survived growing up decades ago. I grew up in the 60s and 70s as a little kid with:

- Lack of seat belts in some cars (or never used them)
- No child car seats
- No helmets when riding bikes
- Climbed trees
- Licking raw cake batter with raw eggs in it when Mom made a cake
- No plastic covers on outlets
- No special safety window blind cords
- Jungle gyms
- BB guns (you'll shoot your eye out!)
- No child proof pill bottles
- Second hand smoke

And God knows how many other things that according to today's standards, should have made us extinct before we were two years old.

I guess I should thank my lucky stars I'm still around!

drowning, I never had any of my kids try to drink or drown in the toilet and I just used those plastic plug covers that stick in the outlet

What is a toilet bowl lock for ?

So they don't escape?

--

A comedian, Emo Phillips, about as oddball as they get, had a bit where he talked about growing up at his grandparent's house. They had a cellar door that he was told to never open. As time went on, he grew more and more curious about that cellar door but always remembered what his grandparents told him. Eventually, his curiousity took over and he opened the door and looked at what was on the other side. He saw many strange and wonderful things, like trees, grass, the sky.

drowning, I never had any of my kids try to drink or drown in the toilet and I just used those plastic plug covers that stick in the outlet

Funny, it used to be part of my job to tell new parents to child proof their home. This is the first time I hear of toilet bowls as a drowning hazard.
CPSC apparently tracks this and found 16 cases in 3 years between '96 and '99. That's 5 per year nationwide. In comparison, there are about 350 pool drownings in kids 0-14 per year and 100 or so bathtub drownings. Maybe toilet bowl locks are a high hassle solution to a low frequency problem. Maybe you are better off installing a lock cylinder on the bathroom which would keep the youngins from all the other hazards that lurk there (toilet bowl cleaner, medications, sharps).

Tell her you’ve seen how she drives and she drove the kid over there, didn’t she? LOL.

When my son was about two and a half, we found him tossing small toys into the toilet and flushing them for the fun of watching 'em swirl around and disappear.

Funny, it used to be part of my job to tell new parents to child proof their home. This is the first time I hear of toilet bowls as a drowning hazard.
CPSC apparently tracks this and found 16 cases in 3 years between '96 and '99. That's 5 per year nationwide. In comparison, there are about 350 pool drownings in kids 0-14 per year and 100 or so bathtub drownings. Maybe toilet bowl locks are a high hassle solution to a low frequency problem. Maybe you are better off installing a lock cylinder on the bathroom which would keep the youngins from all the other hazards that lurk there (toilet bowl cleaner, medications, sharps).
I think its someone's genius way to make money off of over protective/new parents with a solution to a none problem. I have never heard of any kid drowning in a toilet, but that is what I was told they were for and how irresponsible that I was for not having them on all my toilets. That was my sister voicing her unsolicited opinion. She also cover every 90 degree edge in her house with foam when she had a kid o_O

That was my sister voicing her unsolicited opinion. She also cover every 90 degree edge in her house with foam when she had a kid o_O

Scars build character ......

That said when they were little, I had a brick ledge around the gas fireplace covered with that 3/4 poolnoodle thing.

Scars build character ......

That said when they were little, I had a brick ledge around the gas fireplace covered with that 3/4 poolnoodle thing.
Those are dangerous, if I had one I would pad it. Watching a movie, kid gets up to go to bathroom while lights are out and bam they split their head open after tripping on the fireplace.

Those are dangerous, if I had one I would pad it. Watching a movie, kid gets up to go to bathroom while lights are out and bam they split their head open after tripping on the fireplace.

That was more of a 'playing in the family room' kind of thing.

I think its someone's genius way to make money off of over protective/new parents with a solution to a none problem. I have never heard of any kid drowning in a toilet, but that is what I was told they were for and how irresponsible that I was for not having them on all my toilets. That was my sister voicing her unsolicited opinion. She also cover every 90 degree edge in her house with foam when she had a kid o_O
I'm pretty sure the purpose is to prevent kids from putting stuff in the toilet. It's very annoying to have to pull one to remove a toy from the trap.

I'm pretty sure the purpose is to prevent kids from putting stuff in the toilet. It's very annoying to have to pull one to remove a toy from the trap.

Well, then anyone who has little ones is certainly free to install them in their house. It's something else alltogether if someone tries to guilt their relatives into installing them in their house.
I have put child-safe outlets in the guestroom where anyone with little kids would stay. If you are asleep you may not be able to supervise your toddler. I won't cover the rest of the house in bubble wrap. I kept an eye on my kids back when they were young, so I don't think it's unreasonable if I expect guests to keep an eye on theirs.

Back