What’s going on with aircraft registration?

That sounds like a great way to make a bigger mess of the paperwork and make the wait times for registration paperwork even longer, unless you're suggesting just filling out a new form and not submitting it.
I know, just thinking out loud. It’s sad, really, what the US has come to.

When I called the registration folks about a month ago I was verbally told that we could just keep flying on the temporary registration until the permanent one arrives, even if it is longer than 90 days. I don't have that in writing though, so that advice probably isn't worth a whole lot.

So put it in writing.

Send a letter stating, "On such and such date, your representative told me 'blah blah blah.' Based on that direction, I will continue flying on the temporary registration until the permanent one arrives. If the direction your organization provided me was incorrect, please notify me at the above address."

Get tracking on the letter so you can see when they get it. Put a copy of the letter and proof of receipt in your plane along with the temp registration and go fly.

Even if they disagree with their own direction, it will take them at least a year to figure it out and tell you, and by then you should have your permanent paper.

The odds of anyone ever questioning it is infinitesimal anyway.

So put it in writing.

Send a letter stating, "On such and such date, your representative told me 'blah blah blah.' Based on that direction, I will continue flying on the temporary registration until the permanent one arrives. If the direction your organization provided me was incorrect, please notify me at the above address."

Get tracking on the letter so you can see when they get it. Put a copy of the letter and proof of receipt in your plane along with the temp registration and go fly.

Even if they disagree with their own direction, it will take them at least a year to figure it out and tell you, and by then you should have your permanent paper.

The odds of anyone ever questioning it is infinitesimal anyway.

I really don't care enough to bother. I'm just passing along what I was told, verbal was good enough for me.

I have four registrations in the queue right now, two of which are past 90 days.

The word of the day is "Kafkaesque" - bizarre and impersonal administrative situations where the individual feels powerless to understand or control what is happening; literature with nightmarish settings in which characters are crushed by nonsensical, blind authority.

Those of you waiting on registrations for a recently purchased aircraft, have followed the instructions on the FAA website?

https://www.faa.gov/licenses_certificates/aircraft_certification/aircraft_registry/

It states:
"If you have submitted documents to register a recently purchased aircraft and have not received a certificate of aircraft registration within 90 days, a letter of extension may be furnished to you which must be carried in the aircraft with the pink or duplicate copy of the application. You may request a letter of extension by emailing the registry Aircraft Registration Branch. Please include a fax number or email address to send the letter of extension to along with your N number and serial number."

While getting the registration is taking way too long, I hear that they send out the extension letters pretty quickly.

Yeah. You wouldn't want to fly without it in case you get pulled over in some airspace somewhere.
Lol point taken.

I bought it to knock out my IFR and commercial training. But ended up renting 40+ hours in a near identical plane to finish those up.

Flying is a hobby for me and I don’t want to see a CFI or someone’s else’s license at risk because I was impatient.

A temp or 90 day registrations won’t work because original registration is now expired beyond where those will work according to them.

Before COVID (Say 24 months ago) hey were 6+ months behind in some cases I know of. Worse now, uncertain why except that performance is not required of grubbermint employees. (Note: I did not say workers.)

Worse now, uncertain why
FYI: a good number of FAA personnel are still teleworking from home either full-time or part-time. Several recent registration issues I worked on were with people working from home. So until the entire federal workforce is permitted to return to their offices you can probably expect delays throughout any federal processes.

FYI: a good number of FAA personnel are still teleworking from home either full-time or part-time. Several recent registration issues I worked on were with people working from home. So until the entire federal workforce is permitted to return to their offices you can probably expect delays throughout any federal processes.
This is true and is an aggravating factor that made a bad situation worse. However, they are supposed to be headed back to their offices starting in mid April and all should be back by the end of April, if my sources are correct. Of course, this is likely dependent on any new rampant covid variants. But the fact they are working from home is what makes emailing better than USPS for getting things done.

they are supposed to be headed back to their offices starting in mid April and all should be back by the end of April,
Basically heard the same more or less but that some departments have been tag-teaming going to the office since Jan. And while email works great calling the Reg local number got you outside the toll-free number bottleneck as well.

However, they are supposed to be headed back to their offices starting in mid April and all should be back by the end of April,

Some businesses are finding that when they require employees to return, the employees are quitting and taking new jobs that allow them to work from home. Interesting times...

Some businesses are finding that when they require employees to return, the employees are quitting and taking new jobs that allow them to work from home. Interesting times...
I imagine there are some nerves being stressed in both DC and OKC at that potential outcome. We shall see.

Got the renewal notice in the mail less than a week ago and filled out online. Registration was in my mailbox today. Seems to be better service than others are experiencing.

I bought a plane last November, got the registration in my name as of this morning on FAA website. Almost exactly four months. I applied for an extension a little over a month ago and got email back next day with temporarily paperwork I printed and put in my plane.

I'm just happy it went through without issue. Between the Covid in last two yeas and the government shutdowns a 4-5 years ago that delayed an address change I sent in, it seems there is always something with the FAA registration delaying things.

Got the renewal notice in the mail less than a week ago and filled out online. Registration was in my mailbox today. Seems to be better service than others are experiencing.

Mine was about as quick, but electronic vs mailing in paper copies for a registration transfer is probably the difference here.

Back