Westboro's Fred Phelps is on his death bed

"He's got the AIDS, big time"

Dr Mantis Toboggan, MD

tumblr_lu9agnxzGs1qzrno4o1_500.png

I heard someone on a podcast say he had been excommunicated from his own church.

Don't care enough to research it, really.

Dunno about that, but could be. He started the Westboro Baptist Church and his extended family are the only members.

A local radio station DJ called them once, mainly to give them a hard time and ended up talking to a member who acted as a spokesman. I think she was/is his granddaughter or niece or something. She is actually very intelligent and well spoken, and gave such a good interview that she became almost a regular guest whenever Phelps was in the news. One of those cases where you don't agree with her but she speaks so intelligently about her beliefs that you are willing to listen to her side of the story, just because all you know about it is what you hear on the news. About a year ago she left his bunch, she just couldn't take it anymore. Many of the younger members of the family are leaving, so it'll die off soon enough once he's gone.

Anyone that thinks someone should die because of their thief lifestyle is obviously not a follower of god and should beg for forgiveness.
For all the hatred he asked others to do, I hope god can forgive him.

From Wikipedia:

"Phelps has long been estranged from family members who left the Westboro Baptist Church. In March 2014, his estranged sons Nathan and Mark reported that he was in very poor health and receiving hospice care.[11] It was also said that Phelps had been excommunicated from the church in the summer of 2013, [12]although, in a Recent Media FAQ concerning Fred Phelps' current health crisis and the state of the church, contained in a blog on the church's official website dated March 16, 2014, the question "Has Fred Phelps been ‘excluded’ from membership at Westboro Baptist Church?" is asked, in which the answer "Membership issues are private." is given.[13] In the case of Fred Phelps' health, the church may be using the word 'excluded' instead of 'excommunicated'."

Is there money in the God Hates Fags sign holding business?

When you sue municipalities for interfering with your 1A god hates fags sign holding rights it is allegedly lucrative. Internet rumor is that is where their funding came from.

In my opinion, the world will be a much better place when that hateful old man is finally dead. Good riddance.

In my opinion, the world will be a much better place when that hateful old man is finally dead. Good riddance.

That's pretty hateful dude.:nono: I saw these clowns ten years ago, preinternet reverse hate, you just laughed. Now you have to be all suitably outraged or you'll get unfriended on fb. Funny the way it all works.

That's pretty much where I am, but it is yet to be seen.

Normally I would say - just let it go. He'll be forgotten soon enough. Except that he'll never be forgotten by the families he hurt.

Ok, I'll bite.

What "good" did he do?

He was a civil rights lawyer and did a bunch of litigation following Brown v. Board of Education. But the transcripts of his disagreement proceedings are interesting.

When you sue municipalities for interfering with your 1A god hates fags sign holding rights it is allegedly lucrative. Internet rumor is that is where their funding came from.

Do you get money for suing on First Amendment grounds? Or, you just get allowed to say what you want to say.

What damages did he ever have?

Do you get money for suing on First Amendment grounds? Or, you just get allowed to say what you want to say.

What damages did he ever have?
Don't know, as I said internet rumor was they rabble roused to get people worked up and sued when they were infringed. Think about it, preaching against gays may raise money in donations but protesting soldiers funerals, not likely anyone is going to send money to support that.

I think his grave should become sort of a shrine to all veterans, a place we could go to reflect and think, a peaceful private place. A place to filter some beer and whisky onto the hallowed ground of his grave..... in order to show our respect.

-John

:D Love it! Not that I'm a vindictive person or anything like that.:)

The best thing to do to fellows of his ilk when they die is the same as the best thing to do to fellows of his ilk when they're alive. Ignore them soundly and utterly. Without a following they descend back into quiet anonymity where they belong and can do less damage.

Last edited:
He was a civil rights lawyer and did a bunch of litigation following Brown v. Board of Education. But the transcripts of his disagreement proceedings are interesting.

One of his female spawn is a lawyer as well, she was on a local shock jock morning show a couple years ago. She definitely has a different view of life! She appeared to be looking for someone to say something that she could sue about, it was oddly entertaining. :rolleyes:

Paraphrasing the words of Clarence Darrow, I've never wished a man dead, but I will read his obituary with great pleasure.

Looks like the cool thing to do these days is to really hate Fred.

The man never did nothing to me. Am I in trouble for not faking outrage?

Not to offend those on this forum who don't believe in a supreme being, but, for a guy who claimed to be religious as Phelps, I would be fearful about the judgment to come. He never did anything to me personally, but the hurt he and his followers caused seems in my opinion outweighs any good he did as a civil rights lawyer. His passing will mean nothing to me, other than a hateful man has left this earth.

I never understood local authorities allowing these scum bags to protest a funeral. I am all for free speech, but "when and where" that speech is voiced is controllable though the permit process in local communities. They need a permit to demonstrate in most communities. Let them protest all they want, 24 hours after the funeral. :dunno:

Creating a public spectical and a confrontational situation is certainly not in the best interest of anyone.

Sure you can protest the King, after he is dead. Doesn't work eh? As I and others point out they wbc would have amounted to nothing without PC required outrage. Kind of funny how they worked that angle.
I never understood local authorities allowing these scum bags to protest a funeral. I am all for free speech, but "when and where" that speech is voiced is controllable though the permit process in local communities. They need a permit to demonstrate in most communities. Let them protest all they want, 24 hours after the funeral. :dunno:

Creating a public spectical and a confrontational situation is certainly not in the best interest of anyone.

I never understood local authorities allowing these scum bags to protest a funeral.

I always thought cemeteries were private property. It would stand to reason that the owners of said cemetery could keep out anyone they want.

Not to offend those on this forum who don't believe in a supreme being, but, for a guy who claimed to be religious as Phelps, I would be fearful about the judgment to come.

In his case, I bet he's at peace with himself. He did the job he believed was right.

I never understood local authorities allowing these scum bags to protest a funeral.

If Steingar is right about cemeteries being private property, maybe it would be up to the cemetery owners to decide whether to report the protesters as trespassers.

I am all for free speech, but "when and where" that speech is voiced is controllable though the permit process in local communities. They need a permit to demonstrate in most communities. Let them protest all they want, 24 hours after the funeral. :dunno:

Yeah, make 'em get a permit, because free speech is a privilege, not a right. :rolleyes:

I think it's hard to come up with a generalization that would be appropriate for all situations.

I read that he was ex-communicated by his own church last year after suggesting a softer approach for some internal struggle w/in the church.

As for the cemetery protests, they were here in town a few months ago for a soldier's funeral. From what I understand they were protesting just outside the cemetery. The media spotlight was focused on others there to support the soldier's family and friends.

Looks like the cool thing to do these days is to really hate Fred.

The man never did nothing to me. Am I in trouble for not faking outrage?

So unless someone did something to you personally, you have no sense of outrage? Really? You must have a certain calmness when you watch the news, if you even watch the news. After all, the rapists, child molesters, bank robbers, etc. never did anything to you, right?

WBC came to a memorial service held in a public facility in my town. The deceased was a helicopter crew chief on a rescue mission in Iraq, and posthumously was awarded the Purple Heart.

At his service, thousands turned out to honor him. Their number included a vast sea of motorcycle riders who shielded the sergeant's family from sight or sound of the protest group from Westboro church.
http://www.tri-cityherald.com/2010/04/05/964139/westboro-hate-mongers-win-a-bleak.html

The article ends with "The legal strength of America is said to rest upon its toleration of reprehensible speech."

WBC's behavior is awful, but the group is teeny tiny, microscopically miniscule in fact. Their only real power is to spawn lawsuits like the one in the article, and to raise PC and non-PC hackles alike, while providing PC-ers the chance to pretend that WBC is the tip of some sort of iceberg of hate.

They usually set up next to the funeral home, church or cemetary on public property. They threatened to show up at 100's of funerals and actually showed up a 10's of funerals. They were supposed to be here a couple years ago when a local young man, killed in action, was flown home and buried. The local sheriff is not one that puts up with much nonsense and isn't afraid of confrontation, so it's probably good they no showed here. :D

Ain't the same kitkat. The WBC doesn't harm anyone unless people choose to be harmed. Gonna claim some victim points, tell all the girls how victimy I am. :rolleyes2:
As I said I saw the WBC protesting before I ever heard of them and it was pathetic, without the faux pc rage their gig wouldn't work. Of course it works both ways I'm sure the WBC has been sweet for pro gay groups fundraising. Same as gun control and user fees.
So unless someone did something to you personally, you have no sense of outrage? Really? You must have a certain calmness when you watch the news, if you even watch the news. After all, the rapists, child molesters, bank robbers, etc. never did anything to you, right?

I always wonder about the staunch anti-gay groups, they seem to protest too much, if you know what I mean. ;) :rofl: There is another larger anti-gay group, the American Family Foundation that thrives on fund raising to combat gay marriage.:dunno:

Ain't the same kitkat. The WBC doesn't harm anyone unless people choose to be harmed. Gonna claim some victim points, tell all the girls how victimy I am. :rolleyes2:
As I said I saw the WBC protesting before I ever heard of them and it was pathetic, without the faux pc rage their gig wouldn't work. Of course it works both ways I'm sure the WBC has been sweet for pro gay groups fundraising. Same as gun control and user fees.

Back