Well, should you?

I have received a few tips as a pilot after getting in to a particular difficult destination.

No, there were not suggestions as to where I should park the airplane....:lol::lol:

Maybe back in the 60s or 70s

Then

1970s+Flight+Attendent.jpg

Now

Ugly-Stewardess-25708.jpg

Maybe pay them a responsible wage and charge the customer enough to cover it?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Well back then, I wouldn’t have stopped with just the tip.

With that last pic, you better not even start with the tip..

On our recent AA flight from STL to MIA, the stewardess yelled at a group of us sitting in two rows....she heard cell phone music apparently.
The other stewardess on the same flight, got on the horn and announced for everyone to be patient, that this was their first time flying on this plane and they didn't know what they were doing....and right afterward, said there was going to be lot's of turbulence.

Reminds me of the scene in "My Blue Heaven." She won't take the tip so he slips it in her pocket. Today that would get you on the no fly list.

The other stewardess on the same flight, got on the horn and announced for everyone to be patient, that this was their first time flying on this plane and they didn't know what they were doing....and right afterward, said there was going to be lot's of turbulence.

The two flight attendant groups (AA and US Airways) finally merged a couple months back, so FAs are finding themselves flying on certain airframes for the first time (US FAs on the 737, AA FAs on the E190, for example). They get emergency training and practice with the door trainers in the school house, but they get released to the line without ever seeing the airplane.

I have attempted to tip on several flights when I order my booze and they always turn it down. So I stopped.

The two flight attendant groups (AA and US Airways) finally merged a couple months back, so FAs are finding themselves flying on certain airframes for the first time (US FAs on the 737, AA FAs on the E190, for example). They get emergency training and practice with the door trainers in the school house, but they get released to the line without ever seeing the airplane.

I wasn't slamming them for their situation, just how they handled themselves. Yelling and accusing?...but mostly, I just am not sure it's proper to say "we don't know what we're doing" right before saying there's going to be a lot of turbulence. Not a very trusting or soothing statement for nervous passengers.
Being a pilot the turbulence doesn't bother me but for some it's a scary thing and they need to at the very least, believe they are in competent hands.

Most likely not going to earn anyone tips...

Last edited:
I have attempted to tip on several flights when I order my booze and they always turn it down. So I stopped.

Flight crew are not allowed to drink while flying....... So I'm not surprised really that they turned you down.

I wasn't slamming them for their situation, just how they handled themselves. Yelling and accusing?...but mostly, I just am not sure it's proper to say "we don't know what we're doing" right before saying there's going to be a lot of turbulence. Not a very trusting or soothing statement for nervous passengers.
Being a pilot the turbulence doesn't bother me but for some it's a scary thing and they need to at the very least, believe they are in competent hands.

Most likely not going to earn anyone tips...

Oh I agree completely. Just explaining why we have FAs that are new to certain airplanes. It's been causing some interesting situations lately. ;)

Oh I agree completely. Just explaining why we have FAs that are new to certain airplanes. It's been causing some interesting situations lately. ;)
Yes, and appreciate the information. Always helps keep things in perspective....much needed these days.

Tipping a FA? Nope, not gonna happen.

But lately some of the pilots look so young I'm tempted to say "Nice landing" and offer 'em a lollipop......

Back