Well I went ahead and did it

psween

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
psween
A nice, clean, mid time, older 150 came home with me today. Was too dark to take pictures after I landed, but hopefully tomorrow. Thanks for all the advice on plane purchasing/owning, it gave me a lot to think about. Now for the flying! (and mowing, noticed it took a lot of throttle to taxi from the runway up to the hangar). Wish me luck!

Patrick

A nice, clean, mid time, older 150 came home with me today. Was too dark to take pictures after I landed, but hopefully tomorrow. Thanks for all the advice on plane purchasing/owning, it gave me a lot to think about. Now for the flying! (and mowing, noticed it took a lot of throttle to taxi from the runway up to the hangar). Wish me luck!

Patrick

Congrats!:cheerswine:

:needpics:

Awesome, congrats!! Hope to see some pictures.

No need for pics... It will just make all of us non-owners jealous. Tell us what it has on the panel, how much time in the engine, and what you paid for it. That's the good stuff. ;)

Congratulations! I hope your new 150 purchase will be as good of an experience as I've had after purchasing a plane three weeks ago.

150's are bullet proof.

Here are a couple of pics, it's a 150D built in late '63. Paint is a bit faded but it's mostly polished so you don't notice too much. Interior is in great shape for the age, minimal functional panel with one nav/comm and transponder, but everything works. 4000 airframe TT, 1100 SMOH, and highest useful load of any 150 I've seen at #580. Immaculate logs (prior owner was the Cessna Employees Flying Club) with some recent upgrades (B&C starter, rebuilt generator, LED landing and nav lights). Flew it home from Wichita yesterday and put 5.1 fun, stately hours on it. Landed in my back yard right at dusk after watching a great sunset from 3500'. I took a 1/3 partner in the deal (I get 2/3), so my investment is about the same as my mower that I use for my runway (think under $10k) WooHoo!!!

Patrick
20160725_130541.jpg 20160725_130601.jpg 20160725_130649.jpg

One more, this is me on the trip home, at approximately the time I rolled over 100 hours TT as a pilot. Happened about .9 hours into the return flight over central KS.

20160724_160511.jpg

Love the original paint!! One of my first trainers was N4181U, just like yours, back in 1964 when they were new.

N4181U_KFUL_19640409.jpg

It's also very similar to the '65 150E in which I got my commercial, instrument and CFI tickets -- and took my wife on our first date!

Image11.jpg

Little airplane making big memories. May yours be the same to you.

Last edited:
Congratulations. A beautiful little bird with a happy pilot! :)

A straight tail!!! Nuttin' better!

Different folks different strokes. Oh, wait, you meant the plane. My bad. :D

Nice looking 150, nice hangar for it to rest in too. Enjoy and have a lot of fun and memories in it.

Nope, the beacon didn't get the LED upgrade when the other lights did.

Wow that is gorgeous!!! Looks fantastic. I smell a taildragger conversion coming soon.... baby 180!!

One benefit of the 70X120 hangar behind it is that when I need a bigger or faster plane this one can still stick around for fun and instruction. I figure I can get 7-8 planes in there if I'm creative with arranging and willing to do some shuffling to get the back ones out. Next task is to finish the Pietenpol to satisfy the open cockpit taildragger itch.

Patrick

My first airplane was a '76 150M that I bought in the early 80's. I loved that little plane and flew it all over the southeast, including Sun N Fun. When my wife became pregnant with our second child I sold it. It was sad seeing it disappear in the distance. I still have fond memories of that plane.

I hope you enjoy yours like I did mine. Judging by that grin on your face, it looks like you are lovin' it. Congrats on the purchase.

Last edited:
Congratulations!!! Awesome looking plane!!! Enjoy it and blue skies to ya!!! :happydance::happydance::happydance:

Back