Weird Walk-Arounds !

steve_ford_author

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Steve Ford
Finding Skunk meat on the top of a C182 certainly got my attention....from about 50 feet!

Skunk strike or bird of prey picnic table? Who knows..... but out came the hosepipe pretty quick.

What is the weirdest thing you have found on a walk-around????

Skunk Strike !.jpg

Bullet hole in an AH-64…but we were in Texas…Three AK-47s taped to the walls of the tail boom in an aborted test flight at the port of Beaumont in a 1st CAV OH-58 when it would not hover right. It was the way home from Desert Storm…

Mouse in the avionics compartment. Fishing line wrapped around the tail rotor.

Bullet hole in an AH-64…but we were in Texas…Three AK-47s taped to the walls of the tail boom in an aborted test flight at the port of Beaumont in a 1st CAV OH-58 when it would not hover right. It was the way home from Desert Storm…
Friend shipped an AK-47 home from Vietnam. Disassembled and put inside a little Sanyo refrigerator, which was then taped up. Another instance was an Air Force colonel who brought one home in his C-130, then mounted it in his office. He always laughed to himself when visitors would ask about it. "Nah, the barrel is welded shut." Not.

Noticed at a fly-in once when we were all inspectioning each others planes. A pilot had arrived in a Challenger II that he had just replaced the fuel lines on. But he had forgotten to put any clamps back on the fuel line ...

Friend shipped an AK-47 home from Vietnam. Disassembled and put inside a little Sanyo refrigerator, which was then taped up. Another instance was an Air Force colonel who brought one home in his C-130, then mounted it in his office. He always laughed to himself when visitors would ask about it. "Nah, the barrel is welded shut." Not.
It's the preferred weapon of your enemy. It makes a very distinctive sound when fired at you.

A few years ago, a bird nest inside the horizontal stabilizer of my 172. The plane had only sat for a week. When birds decide to move in, they go fast.

A few years ago, a bird nest inside the horizontal stabilizer of my 172. The plane had only sat for a week. When birds decide to move in, they go fast.
I had left my airplane for about four hours. I noticed a bird sitting on a prop blade, and when I investigated, found a nest atop the engine. And there was an egg in the nest.

"And my 30 round magazines only have 28 rounds in them."

That sounds like a holdover from 1968. I thought that problem was fixed... :)

I thought that problem was fixed... :)
I bought a couple of boxes full of gun parts from an estate sale some 40 years ago and the family knew nothing about them. The 20 rounders were in one box, so I'll be safe instead of sorry. The 30 rounders were used when I got them 15 years ago, very used.

I have a case of new 20 round magazines that I won't worry about, but they are still sealed in plastic so I'll leave them there until needed.

I had left my airplane for about four hours. I noticed a bird sitting on a prop blade, and when I investigated, found a nest atop the engine. And there was an egg in the nest.
BTDT - although no doubt the time element was longer. I relocated the nest to a gallon jug (with cutout for access) attached to a nearby chain link fence. Next time I visited the jug was still
there, but there was no sign of the nest.

Dave

Not as good as lions or an AK-47, but a very active hornet's nest in one of the lightening holes in the port wing, pretty close to the cabin door. Discovered after the "flaps down" item in the pre-flight.

They were still there when we landed again, but perhaps short a few members.

missing bonanza wheel bolt (there are only 3)
broken case through-bolt, io-520 (seen through oil filler door)
mouse ate hole through citation aluminum hydraulic line
in your animal theme, cat had scratch the #@! out of the fuse fabric paint, then ****ed on the top, including into a cabin air exhaust vent

I’ve seen that over lunch.
In the spring it is common for the birds to try to start building nest in your plane while you are opening your hangar door to push your plane inside.
They ask us not to leave our hangar doors open in the spring while out flying due to birds nesting.
They love small planes for some reason?
My plane sat outside for a while with very little flying. I found lots of mud daubers and wasps nest in it when I first got it. The avionics shop found even more under the panel and in the side panels.
A couple days ago I had a access panel off for one of my flaps, there was another big wasps nest in there.
OMG I have a lot wasps nest in my plane even today I bet.
This is only half of what I found during the first annual inspection.
The prior inspections were done with a pen and not a screw driver.
I have removed many more in the years since.
153.jpg

Wasn’t on preflight, but my mechanic was starting a condition inspection on my Spezio Tuholer, and when he took the wing root fairings off, oats fell out.

We had seeded a new airstrip the previous year with oats for cover, and I didn’t cut the oats until they were tall enough to turn the leading edges green. :rofl:

In the spring it is common for the birds to try to start building nest in your plane while you are opening your hangar door to push your plane inside.
They ask us not to leave our hangar doors open in the spring while out flying due to birds nesting.
They love small planes for some reason?
My plane sat outside for a while with very little flying. I found lots of mud daubers and wasps nest in it when I first got it. The avionics shop found even more under the panel and in the side panels.
A couple days ago I had a access panel off for one of my flaps, there was another big wasps nest in there.
OMG I have a lot wasps nest in my plane even today I bet.
This is only half of what I found during the first annual inspection.
I have removed many more in the years since.
153.jpg
May have needed a new W&B after all that dirt from the mud daubers, lol.

Screwdrivers and flashlight batteries and inspection mirrors are expensive. Pens are cheap.

I've found lots of such evidence. Once took a mouse nest (mouse colony, more accurately) out of a Bellanca Viking's wing. Filled a galvanized garbage can with it. Apparently, for a very long time nobody had opened up that wing and stuck a mirror around some of the corners,

Not a walkaround, but if we're including annual inspections (and condition inspections, which are done annually but some people get really offended if you refer to them as an annual inspection)... I've added several sockets and a nice little Mini-Mag flashlight to my toolbox, just with stuff I pulled out of my own plane.

Back