Weird Walk-Arounds !

Following the install of an engime monitor and new fuel sending units, a friend found three flashlights inside one wing of his Cherokee when he had to have a different shop do correct some poor workmanship.

Finding Skunk meat on the top of a C182 certainly got my attention....from about 50 feet!

Skunk strike or bird of prey picnic table? Who knows..... but out came the hosepipe pretty quick.

What is the weirdest thing you have found on a walk-around????

View attachment 123024
Bird of prey picnic table sounds about right, wow!

Following the install of an engime monitor and new fuel sending units, a friend found three flashlights inside one wing of his Cherokee when he had to have a different shop do correct some poor workmanship.
The second two flashlights were left there while looking for the first. :)

I found an inspection mirror laying in the flap bay of an Electra freighter. The bottom wing skin extends aft nearly a foot to close the flap gap when the flaps are retracted, and the mirror was laying there half-buried in dust. The old airliner had been parked in Detroit for a long time, then ferried to Alberta for conversion to firebomber. That mirror might have had more flying time than me. It was old enough that the glass was dulled and useless. And it had never bounced or been blown out.

My 20 round magazines have only 19 rounds. And my 30 round magazines only have 28 rounds in them. And when I will need them I just hope the spring isn't broken... :yesnod:

Springs don't go bad from being compressed, but from being cycled.

I know of magazines that worked fine after being fully loaded for over 20 years.

Preflighted a plane that had recently had an annual. And had been flown by at least one other pilot. I found one inspection plate no put back, it was held by only one screw. The other screws were in the nut plates, but the cover was not over the hole.

A pigeon in the cabin of an airbus

Went to connect the batteries after a few days on the ramp at a Southern FL airport on the Challenger 605 I was flying at the time, and saw a screwdriver on top of the battery box. There is only one mechanic that worked on our airplane, and it wasn't one of his. And there is no way I wouldn't have seen it when I disconnected batteries after we landed. That was a little scary. Did a very detailed preflight that day, and made sure to lock the hellhole after that.

Fuel cap missing on a C150. Found it at the end of the runway where it fell off the aircraft when someone forgot to put it back on after checking the fuel for water (if there’s no water in the fuel, we’d simply pour it back in instead of pouring it out).

Not on preflight, found between the runway and taxiway. I blurred the N-number written on it to avoid embarrassing or incriminating the pilot who I've never met; all I'll say is it's a local Cessna.

1702258990548.png

Fuel cap missing on a C150. Found it at the end of the runway where it fell off the aircraft when someone forgot to put it back on after checking the fuel for water (if there’s no water in the fuel, we’d simply pour it back in instead of pouring it out).
You remind me:
This fall, C182 after line guy finished and I was about to blast off.
(pic)
(actually, also failed to follow my instructions to add xx gals; topped it instead)

Attachments

• IMG_3118.jpeg
    IMG_3118.jpeg
    53.8 KB · Views: 42
Not on preflight, found between the runway and taxiway. I blurred the N-number written on it to avoid embarrassing or incriminating the pilot who I've never met; all I'll say is it's a local Cessna.

View attachment 123166
I found a complete set of cowl and exhaust plugs and prop slings from a King Air on the runway. Never heard if the airport manager figured out who they belonged to. It was before there were flight tracking apps.

Crack in the case around the base of No. 2 cylinder. Long crack, seeping oil; not acceptable for continued use for both reasons.

Definitely was not there on prior flight. Never started the engine again, and it was accepted by Continental as a core.

Got my attention.

A friend with a Challenger II with the open wing roots over the cockpit had a very large rat run out of the left wing while pulling his plane out of the hanger ... :eek:

Back