Weird problem, Lenovo laptop sleep mode

Sac Arrow

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Snorting his way across the USA
I have a Lenovo Yoga laptop. For some reason, it started to refuse to automatically go in to sleep mode after inactivity. I checked the settings. They are correct. If I manually put it in sleep mode, it will come back out of sleep mode after a period of time and run the battery down. If I turn it off, it stays turned off.

Ideas? It's about four years old.

I have a Lenovo Yoga laptop. For some reason, it started to refuse to automatically go in to sleep mode after inactivity. I checked the settings. They are correct. If I manually put it in sleep mode, it will come back out of sleep mode after a period of time and run the battery down. If I turn it off, it stays turned off.

61j0FMPGENL._SX679_.jpg

Probably some driver or software waking it up. Maybe go through and disable any unused applications running in the tray and take a look at the power settings, task scheduler, BIOS settings, etc. If all else fails nuke and pave(wipe the drive and reinstall).

Running

powercfg -lastwake

powercfg -devicequery wake_armed

and

powercfg -waketimers

may give you some clues.

Rich

Do you have a mouse waking it up? External? I had the same issue until I figured out that my external mouse was being bumped and that would wake up the laptop.

Keyboard would do the same. Also, some network cards can be set up to wake pc

If it’s windows 10, I think update can wake it up as well

Yes the mouse can sometimes wake it up, but it hadn't gone through an update, and I have not installed any additional apps or changed anything.
Running

powercfg -lastwake

and

powercfg -waketimers

may give you some clues.

Rich

powercfg -lastwake

I shut it down last night so nothing to report. I'll try it again when it acts up.

Mouse.

and

powercfg -waketimers

I don't have admin access to my laptop (work laptop.)

Ahhh, maybe that is the rub. Because of the recent cryptlock attack of our company, the IT guy decided to remove admin access of our computers. But, that was a few months ago.

Yes the mouse can sometimes wake it up, but it hadn't gone through an update, and I have not installed any additional apps or changed anything.

powercfg -lastwake

I shut it down last night so nothing to report. I'll try it again when it acts up.

Mouse.

and

powercfg -waketimers

I don't have admin access to my laptop (work laptop.)

Ahhh, maybe that is the rub. Because of the recent cryptlock attack of our company, the IT guy decided to remove admin access of our computers. But, that was a few months ago.

Maybe someone on the cleaning crew moved the mouse. It doesn't take much. Just bumping the keyboard tray while vacuuming would do it.

In the Power Management tab in the Device Manager dialogue for the mouse, you can disable its ability to wake the computer. Just make sure that the keyboard is allowed to wake it before you disable the mouse's ability, lest you have no way to wake your computer from its slumber. (I don't think either change requires admin status, but they might.)

Rich

Maybe someone on the cleaning crew moved the mouse. It doesn't take much. Just bumping the keyboard tray while vacuuming would do it.

In the Power Management tab in the Device Manager dialogue for the mouse, you can disable its ability to wake the computer. Just make sure that the keyboard is allowed to wake it before you disable the mouse's ability, lest you have no way to wake your computer from its slumber. (I don't think either change requires admin status, but they might.)

Rich

Nope, it's at home. But, it looks like maybe it isn't going to sleep automatically in the first place. It should have gone in to sleep mode after ten minutes. The screen turned off but the status LED indicates 'on.' Hmm. Double checked the settings. Should be good.

Yoga? At first I thought you wrote "Yugo". And that would have explained a lot!

It's actually been a really great laptop. Best I've ever had or used. Very fast, reliable, well made, light, thin. I think what might be happening is that the battery may be going South, as some of these functions are tied in to the battery and it is old. I put it in manual sleep mode, and after a couple hours it turned itself off, but it always did that from day one. I think it just has a problem getting to sleep.

Like me.

It's actually been a really great laptop. Best I've ever had or used. Very fast, reliable, well made, light, thin. I think what might be happening is that the battery may be going South, as some of these functions are tied in to the battery and it is old. I put it in manual sleep mode, and after a couple hours it turned itself off, but it always did that from day one. I think it just has a problem getting to sleep.

Like me.

Hmm. I had a Lenovo, ThinkPad, about 6 years. It was starting to do schizo things. Computer dude said you need a new battery. I don’t think the battery itself was the cause of the problems though. I decided to just get a new computer. Question? Do you check Lenovo for firmware updates? Bios, chipset, stuff like that?

Like me.

Just give it some Ambien... and don't let it sleepwalk.

Hmm. I had a Lenovo, ThinkPad, about 6 years. It was starting to do schizo things. Computer dude said you need a new battery. I don’t think the battery itself was the cause of the problems though. I decided to just get a new computer. Question? Do you check Lenovo for firmware updates? Bios, chipset, stuff like that?

No, I figure if it ain't broke, fixing it isn't going to help. Maybe if it starts to do schizo things, I'll try that.

No, I figure if it ain't broke, fixing it isn't going to help. Maybe if it starts to do schizo things, I'll try that.

there should be something on your desktop or in your menu that says Lenovo settings or Lenovo Vantage or sumpin like that. It will have System Update in it. I just ran it and there was a critical update about Power Management. I remember these in the past also. Power management sounds like it could be about your problem. If it ain't broke then why did you start this post? Yeah, it ain't broke but it's having problems and this might be the fix

I just went through this. Its really stupid. You go to advanced power options and go to allow wake timer

I just went through this. Its really stupid. You go to advanced power options and go to allow wake timer

That part of the problem seems to have fixed itself, but the new problem is that it won't automatically go to sleep despite the timer setting to do so. I have to manually put it in sleep mode. It will, however, shut down after a period in sleep mode like it used to previously.

Windblows 10 does have plenty of sleep problems.
We've seen many at work as well (since most of the new laptops come with this virus) and our technician resolved it via some SW updates and some BIOS flashes. (yes, it is a SW problem)
I know when I looked into it, the Internet was full of unsolved complaints about no-sleep on WinX. I do not have the patience to deal with retarded c*ap (Windblows) so I just dumped it on our tech. :) He was happy to oblige and our laptops run a little better now.
So google extensively and you should hopefully find your solution. I know there is one, just can't remember the exact details, sorry.

You may also be fighting your IT group trying to keep machines on so they’ll update overnight. Might ask them. Usually if it’s domain controlled you’ll have warnings on the power settings page “some of these settings are controlled by your organization”. And if they’re doing Azure cloud and Azure AD, all that stuff will apply wherever you go on the planet.

Frankly we have also run into inconsistent issues with Win X on certain hardware where we tell it to do certain things to power settings on everyone’s machines and one model from one manufacturer has a bug, and does it wrong. We’ve gotten patches for that silliness on two laptops from Dell, identical model numbers but different physical motherboards.

Stupid stuff like that.

Your IT group may have force disabled sleep or be using Wake On LAN to revive sleepy machines to do stuff to them on a regular schedule. Worth asking.

Oh one more. We had a model of laptop that came with a WiFi driver set by default to wake the laptop for any network traffic. That was a pain in the ass to find. Everything tries to babble on the network all the time these days.

Those stupid things would wake themselves up constantly.

Back