Weather Watch Thread: 6Y9 Fly-In 2011

The bad news: widespread low ceilings and fog in the central UP this morning.
The good news: Clear skies in L'Anse about 30 miles to the North so hopefully the conditions will be good at 6Y9 by this afternoon.

Worse news for us downstaters who can't get started until Saturday: 50% chance of showers and storms down here for Saturday. It's not looking good for me at all. :(

Worse news for us downstaters who can't get started until Saturday: 50% chance of showers and storms down here for Saturday. It's not looking good for me at all. :(
I am in the same boat WX for Saturday morning. But the UP looks good. If I am in light rain I may just depart IFR and cancel when I get to VMC. Is that a possibility for you?

Negative. :(

It was for just such a scenario that I really wanted to get my IR finished up before this weekend. Letting my A&P take my plane down for 3 weeks to replace the flaps cable sure nixed that plan. :(

Last edited:
Negative. :(

It was for just such a scenario that I really wanted to get my IR finished up before this weekend. Letting my A&P take my plane down for 3 weeks to replace the flaps cable sure nixed that plan. :(
Well I will sacrifice a frozen chicken dinner to the WX gods for the 50% chance of sunshine for ya!!

No problem just fly in the half that isn't raining.

I often find it helpful to read the Area Forecast Discussions... http://forecast.weather.gov/product...QT&product=AFD&format=CI&version=1&glossary=1

I'm still hopeful we'll be able to come, but Leslie will likely need a ride into "town" to get some internet connectivity for work.

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE MARQUETTE MI 739 AM EDT THU SEP 1 2011
UPDATED AVIATION DISCUSSION FOR 12Z TAFS

.DISCUSSION...

UPPER AIR PATTERN CONSISTS OF A 500 MB TROUGH OVER THE LOWER GREAT LAKES...A 500 MB TROUGH IN THE NORTHERN ROCKIES AND A RIDGE ACROSS THE SOUTH POKING UP INTO THE NORTHERN MISSISSIPPI RIVER VALLEY. THE UPPER AIR PATTERN WILL HEAD EAST WITH THE TROUGH IN THE NORTHERN ROCKIES HELPING TO FLATTEN THE RIDGE TONIGHT AND WILL AFFECT THE AREA ON FRIDAY. AS THIS TROUGH PASSES QUICKLY THROUGH...ANOTHER TROUGH DIGS SOUTHEAST FROM SW CANADA AND AFFECTS THE AREA FOR SAT AND SAT NIGHT.

A WARM FRONT PASSES ACROSS THE AREA TODAY WHICH WILL BE FOLLOWED BY A COLD FRONT THAT WILL MOVE ACROSS THE AREA FRI. ANOTHER COLD FRONT THEN PASSES THROUGH SAT NIGHT. NAM SHOWS 850-500 MB Q-VECTOR CONVERGENCE AND MOISTURE LATE TONIGHT AND FRI MORNING AND THIS MOVES OUT BY FRI EVENING. THESE BOTH RETURN FOR SAT AFTERNOON. GFS AND ECMWF SHOW ABOUT THE SAME THING.

COMPLICATED FORECAST FOR TODAY. WARM FRONT OVER CENTRAL MN IS KICKING OFF SOME CONVECTION THIS MORNING THAT IS ON THE NOSE OF SOME 700 MB MOISTURE AND 850 MB WAA. RUC ALSO SHOWING SOME MLCAPE OF 1000-1500J/KG. GFS TRIES TO BRING THIS OVER THE WESTERN LAKE THIS MORNING...AND THIS WILL HAVE TO BE WATCHED TO SEE IF IT STAYS TOGETHER OR NOT. LOW CLOUDS ARE BREAKING UP AND THIS SHOULD CONTINUE THIS MORNING. LOCALLY DENSE FOG IS OCCURRING OVER THE SOUTHERN CWA AND ISSUED AN SPS TO ACCOUNT FOR THIS. KIMT...KISQ AND KESC HAD VISIBILITIES DOWN TO 1/4 MILE OR LESS OVERNIGHT. THIS FOG SHOULD BURN OFF QUICKLY AFTER SUNRISE. WITH PLENTY OF SUNSHINE...TEMPERATURES SHOULD WARM QUICKLY. 850 MB TEMPERATURES WARM TO 20C TO 24C OVER THE CWA BY 00Z AND MIXING THIS DOWN WOULD GIVE ME HIGHS IN THE MID 90S. WITH WINDS BEING SOUTH AND LOWER SUN ANGLE...DOWNSLOPE WINDS COULD GET A FEW PLACES IN THE LOWER 90S FOR TODAY IN THE WEST.

MADE A FEW CHANGES TO THE GOING FORECAST. NOT REAL CONFIDENT THAT OUR AREA WILL SEE A WIDESPREAD RAINFALL WITH THE PASSAGE OF THE COLD FRONT. ALMOST SEEMS LIKE AN MCS WILL MOVE NORTH OF THE AREA AND THEN A SECOND SHORTWAVE COMES IN AND KICKS SOMETHING OFF OVER THE EASTERN CWA FRI AFTERNOON WITH SCATTERED CONVECTION MOSTLY. HARD TO SAY WHAT WILL HAPPEN...BUT WITH DROUGHT IN THE AREA...HARD TO GET RAINFALL AND WILL CUT POPS BACK TO SCATTERED OVER THE AREA FOR LATE TONIGHT AND ALSO FOR FRI. PUSHED TIMING OF PCPN BACK UNTIL AFTER MIDNIGHT TONIGHT OVER THE CWA AS FRONT GETS CLOSER. WENT DRY FOR FRI NIGHT AND SAT MORNING. BROUGHT SOME PCPN IN FOR SAT AFTERNOON WITH A SHORTWAVE IN THE AREA AND LAKE BREEZE CONVECTION COULD GET GOING AS WELL. LAKE EFFECT PCPN THEN STARTS LATE SAT NIGHT INTO MONDAY MORNING. GFS AND ECMWF SHOW 850 MB TEMPERATURES DROPPING TO 2C AND WITH LAKE SUPERIOR AT 15C TO 17C...THIS IS ENOUGH FOR LAKE EFFECT. SINCE IT IS STILL EARLY IN THE SEASON...WENT SCATTERED LAKE EFFECT POPS WITH A NORTH WIND. WITH COLDER 850 MB TEMPERATURES IN THE AREA FOR SUNDAY THROUGH TUE...LOWERED HIGH TEMPERATURES A COUPLE DEGREES. IN FACT...SUNDAY AND MONDAY A FEW PLACES MIGHT NOT GET OUT OF THE 50S FOR HIGHS. THESE ARE THE MAJOR CHANGES THAT WERE MADE. &&

.AVIATION /FOR THE 12Z TAF ISSUANCE/...

VFR/MVFR CLOUDS ARE EXPECTED TO LINGER THROUGH THE FIRST COUPLE OF HOURS OF THE TAF PERIOD AT BOTH SITES. A FEW SHOWERS HAVE DEVELOPED ALONG AN ELEVATED WARM FRONT IN NW WI AND COULD BRUSH KCMX TOWARDS MID DAY...BUT WITH CIGS ABOVE 10KFT AND NO VSBY ISSUES EXPECTED DID NOT MENTION. OTHERWISE...WITH THE WARM FRONT MOVING THROUGH...EXPECT VFR CONDITIONS TO PREVAIL FOR MOST OF THE PERIOD. A COLD FRONT SWEEPING THROUGH UPPER MICHIGAN LATE TONIGHT AND FRIDAY WILL PRODUCE SCATTERED SHOWERS/THUNDERSTORMS. EXPECT KCMX TO HAVE THE BEST CHANCE LATE IN THE TAF PERIOD...WITH KSAW POSSIBLY EXPERIENCING THEM FRIDAY MORNING INTO EARLY AFTERNOON. FINALLY...ADDED LLWS FOR KSAW TONIGHT DUE TO A LOW LEVEL JET AHEAD OF THE FRONT.

I was in the area so I stopped by around noon. Nobody home. A Piper, Cardinal and a Shyhawk missing an engine were parked there. The weather there was easily VFR with high overcast and mild winds. See ya tomorrow.

I was in the area so I stopped by around noon. Nobody home. A Piper, Cardinal and a Shyhawk missing an engine were parked there. The weather there was easily VFR with high overcast and mild winds. See ya tomorrow.

Yes, story behind that skyhawk is funny. Let's just say that nobody can do it like Tony can. :)

Gary how long a drive is it from Marquette to 6Y9?

About an hour and 15 minutes, longer if road construction is in progress.

Grant, I'm sitting here under the wing of my plane sipping a beer and surfing w/ my Droid. It's not fast but I'm on.

Grant, I'm sitting here under the wing of my plane sipping a beer and surfing w/ my Droid. It's not fast but I'm on.

Well... what more could you possibly need??! :D Awww... I feel like I'm missing out already! :( Uggh... Headed off to work here...

Anybody else make it yet?

The weather for tomorrow does not look promising until at least the late afternoon or evening. Thunderstorms predicted for Rhinelander Wisconsin in the afternoon.

The Wx tomorrow looks challenging. I'm thinking of launching around 14Z and making it as far north as possible, then waiting for it to clear. The AF shows isolated embedded TS in western UP, but SKC and VFR in eastern UP. Unfortunately, the front is expected to keep heading south and then park over Chicago until Saturday evening. So if we don't go Friday morning, we may be stuck here.

Y'all be safe now, ya hear?

Has anyone confirmed that the restaurant has opened? If not, what would plans be for lunch Friday?

The restaurant wasn't open last night. There's a convenience store 100 yds away. & a grocery store 2 miles down the road. It's a beautiful morning here

What a cluster**** of weather between Nebraska and the UP. Going to be an interesting flight. Oh well, we'll get there...

What a cluster**** of weather between Nebraska and the UP. Going to be an interesting flight. Oh well, we'll get there...
I assume that you are taking a more northerly route. Good luck and stay safe.

Just dodge your way through, should be pretty doable. Are you seeing low ceilings somewhere?

We've decided to drive it. Don't like the convective between Chicago and Sidnaw.

I assume that you are taking a more northerly route. Good luck and stay safe.
That's what I was thinking but things are getting thick to the north. We're not very fast either. If we head northeast, with teh whole system moving northeast, it may work. Worst case we end up stuck in podunk iowa.

Just dodge your way through, should be pretty doable. Are you seeing low ceilings somewhere?
That's the plan. But there are some low ceilings out there. Going to file IFR but do our best to remain VFR if anything is dicey.

N1161F

We're leaving now, should get there early afternoon.

hmm you guys were in Llano yesterday. have a nice chat with Larry?

Weather in central UP is lousy with rain. Doubt that anybody will be able to land at 6Y9 before early evening. The forecast is good for tomorrow.

At 6Y9 and the weather is gradually improving. Broken layer starting to open up.

Weather in central UP is lousy with rain. Doubt that anybody will be able to land at 6Y9 before early evening. The forecast is good for tomorrow.
But it looks much less good tomorrow down here. Flying from SE Mich to the UP will mean penetrating a frontal system with lots of convective activity developing through the day. Might be doable VFR in the morning... then the question becomes, is a return flight possible before Sunday night? I have to be back for a hike Monday morning (I know it sounds lame, but I have to lead the hike).

It's beginning to look very dicey for me... will check again tonight and tomorrow morning and make a final decision then. :(

But it looks much less good tomorrow down here. Flying from SE Mich to the UP will mean penetrating a frontal system with lots of convective activity developing through the day. Might be doable VFR in the morning... then the question becomes, is a return flight possible before Sunday night? I have to be back for a hike Monday morning (I know it sounds lame, but I have to lead the hike).

It's beginning to look very dicey for me... will check again tonight and tomorrow morning and make a final decision then. :(

That's why they invented GPS. Give them a map and list some comments with coordinates for a self guided tour.

We are enroute to Minnesota right now then after that ifr to somewhere in Wisconsin or the up or something. Mach one eyeball is indicating good stuff so far.

then the question becomes, is a return flight possible before Sunday night? I have to be back for a hike Monday morning (I know it sounds lame, but I have to lead the hike).

If you are late getting back:

Text of TFR 1/7257:
!FDC 1/7257 zob mi.. Flight restrictions. Detroit, Michigan, September 5, 2011 local.

Pursuant to 49 usc 40103(b), the federal aviation administration (FAA) classifies the airspace defined in this NOTAM as 'national defense airspace'. Pilots who do not adhere to the following procedures may be intercepted, detained and interviewed by law enforcement/security personnel. Any of the following additional actions may also be taken against a pilot who does not comply with the requirements or any special instructions or procedures announced in this NOTAM:
a) the FAA may take administrative action, including imposing civil penalties and the suspension or revocation of airmen certificates; or
b) the United States government may pursue criminal charges, including chargesunder title 49 of the United States code, section 46307; or
c) the United States government may use deadly force against the airborne aircraft, if it isdetermined that the aircraft poses an imminent security threat.
Pursuant to title 14, section 91.141 of the code of federal regulations, aircraft flight operations are prohibited
within a 30 NMR of 421903n/0831011w or the dxo060010.8 up to but not including 18000 ft msl effective 1109051600 utc (1200 local 09/05/11) until 1109051915 utc (1515 local 09/05/11).
Within a 7 NMR of 421259n/0832125w or the dxo072000.5 up to but not including 18000 ft msl effective 1109051600 utc (1200 local 09/05/11) until 1109051715 utc (1315 local 09/05/11).
Within a 10 NMR of 421953n/0830247w or the yqg303010.9 up to but not including 18000 ft msl effective 1109051630 utc (1230 local 09/05/11) until 1109051845 utc (1445 local 09/05/11).
Within a 7 NMR of 421259n/0832125w or the dxo072000.5 up to but not including 18000 ft msl effective 1109051800 utc (1400 local 09/05/11) until 1109051915 utc (1515 local 09/05/11).\
Except as specified below excluding Canadian airspace and/or unless authorized by ATC inconsultation with the air traffic security coordinator via the domestic events network (den):
a. All aircraft operations within the 7 NMR and/or 10 NMR area(s)listed above, known as the inner core(s), are prohibited except for:
approved law enforcement,
military aircraft directly supporting the United States secret service (usss) and the office of the president of the United States,
approved air ambulance flights,
and regularly scheduled commercial passenger and all-cargo carriers operating under one of the following tsa-approved standard security programs/procedures:
aircraft operator standard security program (AOSSP),
full all-cargo aircraft operator standard security program (FACAOSSP),
model security program (MSP),
twelve five standard security program (TFSSP) all cargo,
or all-cargo international security procedure (ACISP)
and are arriving into and/or departing from 14 CFR part 139 airports.
All emergency/life saving flight (medical/law enforcement/firefighting) operations must coordinate with ATC prior to their departure at 734-955-5042 to avoid potential delays.
B. For operations within the airspace between the 7 NMR and/or 10 NMR and 30 NMRarea(s) listed above, known as the outer ring(s):
all aircraft operating within the outer ring(s) listed above are limited to aircraft arriving or departing local airfields, and workload permitting, ATC may authorize transit operations.
Aircraft may not loiter.
All aircraft must be on an active IFR or VFR flight plan with a discrete code assigned by an air traffic control (ATC) facility.
Aircraft must be squawking the discrete code prior to departure and at all times while in the TFR and must remain in two-way radio communications with ATC.
C.The following operations are not authorized within this TFR:
flight training,
practice instrument approaches,
aerobatic flight,
glider operations,
seaplane operations,
parachute operations,
ultralight,
hang gliding,
balloon operations,
agriculture/crop dusting,
animal population control flight operations,
banner towing operations,
sightseeing operations,
maintenance test flights,
model aircraft operations,
model rocketry,
unmanned aircraft systems (uas),
and utility and pipeline survey operations.
D. FAA recommends that all aircraft operators check NOTAMs frequently for possible changes to this TFR prior to operations within this region.

That's why they invented GPS. Give them a map and list some comments with coordinates for a self guided tour.

Umm... a trail map would work (I don't think any of our hikers even own a GPS -- it's not geocaching or orienteering). But it would still be a slap in the face... and the hike is part of a larger event that I'm expected to be around for.

The other issue is that with the lake effect clouds/precip making their debut up your way on Sunday, there may not be another chance to get out VFR for several days, and I have to be back for work on Tuesday. Unless the going forecast proves totally wrong, it's going to be a Saturday day trip for me, or else not at all.

KAUM is out of gas...off to KTOB to look for some.

We just got fuel and will go IFR to KLNL. N1161F

Back