-
Sidnaw, MI Saturday, September 3rd, 2011
30.gif

Partly CloudyHigh
73°F

Precip
20%
Wind:From W at 11 mph Humidity:66%UV Index:6 High
Sunrise:7:17 AM ETAvg. High:71°FRecord High:90°F (1960)

29.gif

Partly CloudyOvernight Low
53°F

Precip
10%
Wind:From NNW at 5 mph Humidity:78% Sunset:8:30 PM ETAvg. Low:47°FRecord Low:27°F (1974)

I know, I know... it's really too early to get excited about the forecast, but... :D. It is looking very nice (one week out anyway) in the UP for Labor Day weekend!

You are now banned from all future fly-ins for making a weather post prior to the event.

Ugggh... I had that coming. :rolleyes2: Sorry... was doing some flight planning and the excitement got the better of me. :D

I just got back from a hike and the weather is beautiful. The best news is that I was not attacked by a single deer fly, the bugs are gone. I have read that some may not be able fly here due to maintenance issues but the weather is so nice it would be worth it to hitch hike.

Well, save some of that great weather for the rest of us... we will be joining you shortly! :D

Yes the weather has been great down here too -- but next weekend could be very different.

Maintenance-wise, things are looking up for me -- my mechanic called last night to say that 8JT would be flyable as of today. So I stopped by this afternoon, preflighted and lifted off, and had a pretty good $100 pizza flight to 3DA. There are some minor glitches - my clock/timer appears to be dead, most likely he shorted out the internal battery somehow. And I've lost several panel backlights, or perhaps it's a single bulb that backlights several instruments. The thing that's most concerning is the continuing excessive RPM drops at 1800 rpm during runup. Borderline excessive is a better description: 125 on the left mag, 175 on the right. Leaned out it's more like 100/125. Ditto at 2300 rpm even full rich. I'm not sure I want to take off for the north woods without a clear understanding that this is benign and unlikely to get me stranded up there.

Yes the weather has been great down here too -- but next weekend could be very different.

Maintenance-wise, things are looking up for me -- my mechanic called last night to say that 8JT would be flyable as of today. So I stopped by this afternoon, preflighted and lifted off, and had a pretty good $100 pizza flight to 3DA. There are some minor glitches - my clock/timer appears to be dead, most likely he shorted out the internal battery somehow. And I've lost several panel backlights, or perhaps it's a single bulb that backlights several instruments. The thing that's most concerning is the continuing excessive RPM drops at 1800 rpm during runup. Borderline excessive is a better description: 125 on the left mag, 175 on the right. Leaned out it's more like 100/125. Ditto at 2300 rpm even full rich. I'm not sure I want to take off for the north woods without a clear understanding that this is benign and unlikely to get me stranded up there.

Good luck, was hoping to meet you!

Kimberly

The thing that's most concerning is the continuing excessive RPM drops at 1800 rpm during runup. Borderline excessive is a better description: 125 on the left mag, 175 on the right. Leaned out it's more like 100/125. Ditto at 2300 rpm even full rich. I'm not sure I want to take off for the north woods without a clear understanding that this is benign and unlikely to get me stranded up there.

The Cardinal I am training my student in is similar with the mag drops, unless we lean aggressively. If we forget to lean, it does that. When it drops, is it rough? or is it still smooth but just at a lower RPM?

The Cardinal I am training my student in is similar with the mag drops, unless we lean aggressively. If we forget to lean, it does that. When it drops, is it rough? or is it still smooth but just at a lower RPM?
It's smooth at a lower RPM. But remember, I've owned the plane for over a year and it just started doing this in May/June, after I got it back from having the spar carrythru replaced. I thought it was the midsummer density altitudes at first, but they're a lot lower now.

It's smooth at a lower RPM. But remember, I've owned the plane for over a year and it just started doing this in May/June, after I got it back from having the spar carrythru replaced. I thought it was the midsummer density altitudes at first, but they're a lot lower now.

Personally I wouldn't worry about it. Isn't it supposed to drop 175 RPM anyway with a difference of 50?

My A&P had a call in to D&G over in Niles about it. He just heard back from them this morning -- they think it's a fuel controller circuitboard issue. He's looking into whether it's still under warranty, but it's going to have to go in for testing regardless. So it looks like I'm probably out for 6Y9. :(

It was news to me too Ed. I stared at this diagram for a while trying to figure out where there could be a circuitboard in there. Maybe the fuel metering is electronic? I dunno. I figure my A&P would know that better than I would.

Hence the :rofl: at the end of my post.

Perhaps my sense of humor is drier than most...

The :rofl: is ambiguous. Could indicate your post is a joke, it could indicate you're laughing at my joke, it could indicate you think I'm a joke. Not entirely certain I want to know which applies.

We thought about coming up for a day trip, but the runway's a little short, so likely won't make the trip.

We thought about coming up for a day trip, but the runway's a little short, so likely won't make the trip.

No guts no glory. And yeah, what are you flying that you can't put down in 2600ish feet of grass?

We got some much needed rain today. The forecast is for cooler temps this weekend.

Attachments

• UP weather.PNG
    UP weather.PNG
    28.9 KB · Views: 17
We got some much needed rain today. The forecast is for cooler temps this weekend.

Almost 20 degrees difference in the "highs" within less than a few days? Thanks for posting this, I'm bringing a jacket with a rain hood now.

Kimberly

Stupid touch screen keyboard. It was Lane then I thought I changed it to Lance.

It looks like Saturday might be the only flyable day of the weekend... and that depends on what's going on between here and there.

On the plus side I did my BFR today with my CFII... nearly 3 hours on the ground going over a lot of regulatory material that I've never seen covered anywhere but here and on the Red Board... stuff about MELs, required equipment & inspections, dependance of reporting requirements for DUIs on state law and other obscure stuff... as well as the usual airspace, sectional symbology, airspace, airport signage, etc. Very comprehensive for a flight review. So if my A&P and I decide the plane is safe to take to a grass strip in the middle of nowhere, I just might be able to come up on Saturday. I have to be back Monday morning to lead a hike though, so if there is any chance of Sunday being bad for VFR, I'll have to go back Saturday night.

On the plus side I did my BFR today with my CFII... nearly 3 hours on the ground going over a lot of regulatory material that I've never seen covered anywhere but here and on the Red Board... stuff about MELs, required equipment & inspections, dependance of reporting requirements for DUIs on state law and other obscure stuff... .

well what do you want for $55 an hour. he's gotta pay for the Jag somehow.:confused:

It looks like Saturday might be the only flyable day of the weekend... and that depends on what's going on between here and there.

On the plus side I did my BFR today with my CFII... nearly 3 hours on the ground going over a lot of regulatory material that I've never seen covered anywhere but here and on the Red Board... stuff about MELs, required equipment & inspections, dependance of reporting requirements for DUIs on state law and other obscure stuff... as well as the usual airspace, sectional symbology, airspace, airport signage, etc. Very comprehensive for a flight review. So if my A&P and I decide the plane is safe to take to a grass strip in the middle of nowhere, I just might be able to come up on Saturday. I have to be back Monday morning to lead a hike though, so if there is any chance of Sunday being bad for VFR, I'll have to go back Saturday night.

Partly CloudyHigh
74°F

30.gif
Precip
10%
Wind:From W at 9 mph Humidity:60%UV Index:6 HighSunrise:7:17 AM ETAvg. High:71°FRecord High:90°F (1960)

Well, you know, it does look like Saturday's forecast is holding up for now... :D Friday is looking less and less good as the week goes on... :rolleyes2: Stay tuned... We'll see what happens....

Yeah, that's cause someone had to open their mouth.

STOP IT! STOP IT! STOP IT!!

Go outside, spin around three times and spit, you are making the weather gods unhappy and they will send bolts of lightening at us for the whole weekend!!!!

;)

Yeah, that's cause someone had to open their mouth.

Oh.... go to the airport, pick up your blimp passenger, and use your considerable flying skillz to make it work! :rolleyes2:

I'll be looking out for the bears. They can smell it!

Boy, that's a pretty tough forecast to pack for...over a 40dF spread between tomorrow's high and Sunday's low. I guess it's gonna be camp shorts, fleece, rain gear, tevas and hiking books.

I'm also leaning towards blowing off my overnight tommorw at Clintonville and going on into 6Y9 since Friday ain't lookin' real pretty. I'd really love to see some friends in CLI but getting to 6Y9 is priority #1.

It looks like Sidnaw's been gettting a decent amount of rain today. How's the runway hold up to rain events?

The runway holds up to moisture well. I've landed and taken off there a couple time early this summer after hard rains when there was standing water on it and had no problems. I was up there 10 days ago and the runway was in perfect condition. Any rain we might get here in the next couple of days wont affect it much.

Back