Weather Question

You can drive faster. :D

Well, for what it's worth (and from an east coast pilot, probably not much) I think you should take the plane and go! Just don't become so focused on getting back that you make poor decisions.

For weather knowledge, I also have feelings of inadequacy. I've no doubt anything ScottD offers is good. Heck, I've learned a lot just from his occasional POA posts...though I will admit it's sometimes over my head. :) There's an online course by him called Beyond the Weather Brief, available through AvWx Workshops which looks to be excellent. In fact, I have purchased it, but have yet to watch most of it. I think it cost under $100.

I have found WeatherBug to be probably the best of the non-aviation weather apps. There's a free and paid version you can download to your iPad. The free version is ad-supported, and works just fine. And don't forget, there's a lot you can get from aviationweather.gov.

Also, it won't do you any good for this weekend, but find and read a copy of Weather Flying by Robert Buck. It's a classic, and has some great information.

Finally, I am also a fairly new fan of that usairnet.com website someone mentioned earlier. Keep in mind though, that it's entirely computer-generated, with no human input or intervention, so the accuracy isn't always spot-on.

You're flying a 152, right? 70-80 knots is way too slow. Foreflight was probably giving you your ground speed. There's no reason to believe it'll be the same on your next flight since GS is just your TAS plus or minus the actual winds aloft. For all you know you could have a tailwind on your next flight and post speeds up to 110kts (I've done about 140 in a 152, with a heck of a tailwind).

I want to be "realistic" in telling my passenger how long it will take.

Excellent. "How long to get there?" "Should be under 4 hrs, under 3 if the wind cooperates." I found that this is all the precision people are looking for

Geez............ So far just the two of us want to further our knowledge of weather..:dunno::dunno::dunno: Hard to believe ...:yesnod::yesnod::confused::(
I sent him a PM that I was interested as well. Only two people publicly admitted to wanting to do it. :)

You're flying a 152, right? 70-80 knots is way too slow. Foreflight was probably giving you your ground speed. There's no reason to believe it'll be the same on your next flight since GS is just your TAS plus or minus the actual winds aloft. For all you know you could have a tailwind on your next flight and post speeds up to 110kts (I've done about 140 in a 152, with a heck of a tailwind).

A 150 and yes those were ground speeds but after 1.7 on the Hobbs for a flight that was only 20 - 25nm (straight line) from Petaluma, I'm very cautious. You see, the online planning sites told me it would take about 30 minutes each way. So why was my time almost DOUBLE?

A 150 and yes those were ground speeds but after 1.7 on the Hobbs for a flight that was only 20 - 25nm (straight line) from Petaluma, I'm very cautious. You see, the online planning sites told me it would take about 30 minutes each way. So why was my time almost DOUBLE?

Did the online planning sites factor in winds? Which planning sites did you use?

Flight planning is done on ground speed, that's why we call for winds aloft. Using historic speeds across a route is actually a pretty solid way of doing things if you take into account what the general prevailing conditions are.

You are PIC, not him. Tell him YOU, and only YOU will decide such things, including "when" the decision is made.

:D

And just in case anyone missed the smiley, it might be well to temper that by pointing out that while the decision about whether it is safe to fly must be made by the PIC, and that the PIC may have to change that decision at any time as new information becomes available, it may on occasion be necessary to forgo a flight for non-aviation reasons, for example if it creates too much inconvenience for traveling companions or family members.

Does not look like you will have terribly significant headwinds on the way down.

Attachments

• eta36hr_800_wind.gif
    eta36hr_800_wind.gif
    43.6 KB · Views: 16

Some possible reasons:

-The winds aloft may have been different than forecast.

-The planning may not have taken into account the slower speed while climbing.

-The planning may not have taken into account time spent flying away from the destination while in the pattern.

Last edited:
I fly to SBA quite a bit, which is near there. Often you can pick up a tailwind just by climbing a bit. Make sure to check the winds aloft at different altitudes. I have made SBA in 2:20 from LHM (279 NM) in a Cherokee, when the winds were cooperating.

Kimberly: I occasionally fly a 200 nm flight in our C-150. It usually takes around 2:30 to 2:45. If you have a GPS with you, you will know way before hand whether or not you should expect to have to stop. If you will be pushing your limit, stop. The Hobbs (I think) starts running as soon as you turn on the master, so it can be way off if you don't wind up taxiing to the runway and taking off right away. Also, the Hobbs in the rental may need calibration? No way it should have taken 1.7 to go 25 nm. Something is wrong somewhere.

Did the online planning sites factor in winds? Which planning sites did you use?

See above. Not really a "planning site" just a quick glance thing. I can do my flight plan here, where I have a printer, but that far out I'm not sure how accurate winds aloft information is - how far from now do they calculate winds aloft? I guess for coming back (Sunday) they won't have any?

Kimberly: I occasionally fly a 200 nm flight in our C-150. It usually takes around 2:30 to 2:45. If you have a GPS with you, you will know way before hand whether or not you should expect to have to stop. If you will be pushing your limit, stop. The Hobbs (I think) starts running as soon as you turn on the master, so it can be way off if you don't wind up taxiing to the runway and taking off right away. Also, the Hobbs in the rental may need calibration? No way it should have taken 1.7 to go 25 nm. Something is wrong somewhere.

Wait, that is interesting. The hobbs being off? I will try to remember (but will probably forget) to make a note of this - meaning, write down our time that I yell "clear" until the time that I shut the engine off. Then I'll look at the hobbs.

But - since it runs in 6 minute increments, I could have been "unlucky" enough to be the one paying for that extra 12 minutes. So I need 12 minutes of "wiggle room" when I look at my times too.

:yeahthat:

1.7 hours for 25 nm comes to an average speed of... oh... 14.7kts. ;)

Even if you chopped off .7 for the runup and any time in the pattern, it'd still come to an average speed of 25kts. If you really had a GS of about 75kts, the actual flight should have taken around 20 minutes.

Last edited:

Even if you chopped off .7 for the runup and any time in the pattern, it'd still come to an average speed of 25kts. If you really had a GS of about 75kts, the actual flight should have taken around 20 minutes.

I wasn't paying too much attention, but let me look at the timestamp on a photo I took and see if I can figure this one out. I was really PO'd.

I wasn't paying too much attention, but let me look at the timestamp on a photo I took and see if I can figure this one out. I was really PO'd.

Either something was seriously wrong with the hobbs meter or you just took a long time to actually get in the air. Or you wrote the wrong times down. FWIW I've seen pilots that take .6 hobbs just to get into the sky. If you did that on both sides you'd be 1.2 hours idling around on the ground.

On longer trips the ground time will be less of a factor.

Either something was seriously wrong with the hobbs meter or you just took a long time to actually get in the air. Or you wrote the wrong times down. FWIW I've seen pilots that take .6 hobbs just to get into the sky. If you did that on both sides you'd be 1.2 hours idling around on the ground.

On longer trips the ground time will be less of a factor.

You're right, plus I taxi really slow, plus this place has a huge runway and taxiway.

I just called the flight school (wanted to discuss other things with the owner such as alternate airports if Petaluma is socked in when I come back). He told me if the Hobbs was off they'd use the Tach, then he got the book and said it would be tach time times 1.3 which would be 1.83 or so - meaning 1.7 is correct.

I guess I just take a really long time to get in the sky???

Wait, you do know I meant 25 each way, right?

So 50 nm - so 30 kts?

Oh and you have to love the guy, he said "don't worry, we should have the tail section put back on my tonight, just in time for your flight".

Wait, you do know I meant 25 each way, right?

So 50 nm - so 30 kts?

No, I didn't realize that. It'd only be 30kts if you spent the entire hobbs time in flight. How much time do you usually spend taxiing, doing your run-up, and flying in the pattern?

I'd also be interested in a weather webinar.

No, I didn't realize that. It'd only be 30kts if you spent the entire hobbs time in flight. How much time do you usually spend taxiing, doing your run-up, and flying in the pattern?

I've never thought of that before. I'll have to look.

Well, wait - let's think about this - I always do full stops, and one night all by myself I started the little 152, taxi'd - did my run up - took off - and did 3 full stop / taxi back landings - all in 0.6 hobbs!

(This was to maintain night currency)

So I guess when I have passengers, I get distracted, and waste time talking to them. From now on I'll try to ask for a sterile cockpit until I'm on downwind.

Speaking of time, I've heard from other Private Pilots that, at first, XC's and flights in general cost them a lot more. Then, when they get more time and more experience, the same exact trips cost a lot less. I think I'm just taking things easy, enjoying the flight, and not worrying about it - since all my trips are local.

Speaking of time, I've heard from other Private Pilots that, at first, XC's and flights in general cost them a lot more. Then, when they get more time and more experience, the same exact trips cost a lot less. I think I'm just taking things easy, enjoying the flight, and not worrying about it - since all my trips are local.

I learned long ago not to think about the cost of flying while I'm flying. It's more fun and safer that way.

OMG, yesterday AirNav sectionals worked and today they don't - runway finder says to write my congress person. Argh.

I learned long ago not to think about the cost of flying while I'm flying. It's more fun and safer that way.

I don't think about it when i'm flying, but I sure as hell do when i'm rolling around on the ground..

kim try vfrmap.com

OMG, yesterday AirNav sectionals worked and today they don't - runway finder says to write my congress person. Argh.
As you saw, Runwayfinder announced over a month ago that they were shutting down at the end of February. Airnav link(ed) to them. Their charts weren't updated after the Feb 9th release, IIRC.

Me three (and yes I'll pay)!
Me four (or 5 or whatever). For me it's not money that's the issue, it's being available during a particular timeslot. If it's before 2330Z on a Mon or Wed (actually make that 00Z Tue or Thu, but really MW evenings) I just can't do it, and I have a pretty crazy schedule on other days too.

I learned long ago that I HATE renting by the Hobbs. When I was looking for a flying club, one of my strong preferences was that they charge by tach time.

Kim, have you considered going that route? If you spend a lot of time taxiing and doing your runups, it could make a significant difference in cost. (not to mention waiting for clearances/releases once IR)

I learned long ago that I HATE renting by the Hobbs. When I was looking for a flying club, one of my strong preferences was that they charge by tach time.
I agree, the problem is that charging by tach is practically as extinct as dinosaurs, when I was looking for such a deal I could not find a single one within 1 hr drive time from my home (with multiple airports available to me).

Worry, no. But I think it can be enjoyable to think of all the little (safe) ways to cut costs. Determining your optimal cruising altitude, experimenting with leaning techniques, optimizing your climb and descent profiles, etc. The cost saving mindset can go too far, but I wouldn't ever discourage someone from seeking and adopting more efficient/cost effective flying habits. (I'm sure I'm preaching to the choir. ;) )

I agree, the problem is that charging by tach is practically as extinct as dinosaurs, when I was looking for such a deal I could not find a single one within 1 hr drive time from my home (with multiple airports available to me).
Really? I'm talking about flying clubs, not rentals... I actually found only one club locally that charged by the Hobbs, and a bunch that charged by the tach. The only problem was that they either didn't have any vacancies, or they were somewhere like PTK which is over an hour's drive for me from either work or home. Except for one, and I still belong to it (there are several ahead of me on the sell list).

Really? I'm talking about flying clubs, not rentals... I actually found only one club locally that charged by the Hobbs, and a bunch that charged by the tach.
Well, I do rent from flying clubs :rolleyes:
I noticed that Hobbs/Tach may vary within a club - may depend on aircraft and how owner sets it up. There was nothing 'per tach' that was even remotely similar to what I wanted to fly and was within distance I was willing to drive.

Back