Wearing shoes in the house

Discussion in 'Hangar Talk' started by Ryanb, Feb 11, 2020.

1. Larry Vrooman

Larry Vrooman Pre-Flight

Display Name:

Display name:
    N5168T
    I was going to mention this as well. I injured the plantar arch in my foot and it would not heal, until I stopped going barefoot. I generally avoid going barefoot to avoid the potential to re-injure it.

I've also been on boats where the owners insist on no shoes. In the case of both houses and boats, I've always negotiated the use of non marring sole, never been worn anywhere but inside a house (or boat) shoes. If the owner isn't reasonable enough to accept that compromise, then that owner is probably not someone I want to hang with anyway.

Bill Jennings and Ryanb like this.
  2. Kuma

Kuma Filing Flight Plan

Display Name:

Display name:
    Kuma
    There's a reason cell phones are verboten in the food industry. Touch subway banister, touch cell phone. Touch smeary glass window, touch cell phone. Rest cell phone on toilet in gym while using facility. Loan cell phone to friend to call Mr. X. Cell phone sits on car seat for a while, then goes into back pocket. And hardly anyone disinfects their cell phone. But no one has me leave my cell phone at the door when I go into their house. My point is...rules based on "dirt" and "germs" are as much cultural and/or personal preference as anything.

Personally I find people's bare feet kind of gross (how do you know if they keep good personal hygiene?), but another thinks shoes that someone has been wearing outside are.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2020
    SoonerAviator likes this.
  3. Larry Vrooman

Larry Vrooman Pre-Flight

Display Name:

Display name:
    N5168T
    That made me laugh. Are you a millennial?

I dated a woman who was about 16 years younger than me for several months. Extremely attractive, intelligent and generally interesting and fun to be around - but also a little high maintenance. She was on the border between Gen X and Millennial (while I am the last baby boomer) and she had this thing about not calling unless someone texted first to check if it was ok to call. That struck me as odd and it was one of a few generational things that caused me to eventually kick her to the curb, which made me aware of another of her hangups. She got upset as no one had, at least by her report, ever broken up with her. She informed me that she broke up with men, men did not break up with her. So I continued dating her for a few more weeks until she finally "decided" to break up with me.

Whatever it takes to make the crazy go away and stay away...

4. Checkout_my_Six

Checkout_my_Six Touchdown! Greaser!

Display Name:

Display name:
    Check_my_Six
    never......we have bluetooth. o_O

5. flhrci

flhrci Final Approach

Display Name:

Display name:
    David
    Brush your teeth more! eeeeeeeewwwwwwww!!!! :D

Checkout_my_Six likes this.
  6. schmookeeg

schmookeeg Pattern Altitude

Display Name:

Display name:
    Mike Brannigan
    If people come over to our house and casually ignore the clean-room guest bodysuits we have hanging on pegs in the foyer, nor avail themselves of the blast chamber off to their left to decontaminate themselves of the out there, they're just being obstinate and will likely not merit an invitation to future events.

Seriously, though, who provides wool socks for guests? :D I'd expect to get the strangest looks if I entered someone's home and started trying on random hosiery I found lying about the place, then having the cheek to strut around socially in mein host's own socks like it was a basic tuesday.

Considering most homes are covered in dust, which is just sloughed off skin cells, who cares about some tracked in dirt from shoes? I assume these same people never open their windows and their house smells like aerosolized Aunt Mildred? Yuck.

7. Fiveslide

Fiveslide Line Up and Wait

Display Name:

Display name:
    Fiveslide
    If someone comes to my house wearing Birkenstock sandals, I want them to keep them on. I guarantee the bottom of their shoes are cleaner than the bottom of their feet. :D

I always wear my slippers in the house, but I don't wear them in public or even outside, so I know they're clean, or as clean as shoes could be.

I used to think slippers were stupid, but they've become something I wouldn't want to live without if I didn't have to.

denverpilot likes this.
  8. Checkout_my_Six

Display Name:

Display name:
    Check_my_Six
    tooth....pal. o_O

denverpilot likes this.
  9. Kuma

Kuma Filing Flight Plan

Display Name:

Display name:
    Kuma
    This post--maybe not the one I deserved, but the one I needed today. Thanks for the lolz.

10. chartbundle

chartbundle Cleared for Takeoff

Display Name:

Display name:
    chartbundle
    Nah, I'm old enough to realize that a ringing phone only ever brings bad news. Growing up I used to run to the phone to answer it. Only advantage now is caller ID tells me just how bad the news is before answering.

11. Checkout_my_Six

Display Name:

Display name:
    Check_my_Six
    we knew that..... :D

12. smv

smv Line Up and Wait

Display Name:

Display name:
    smv
    Had you brushed them more often it would be teeth...

flhrci likes this.
  13. Kuma

Kuma Filing Flight Plan

Display Name:

Display name:
    Kuma
    Almost as bad as certified mail...

chartbundle likes this.
  14. redtail

redtail En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    Redtail
    Agreed.

The rest of your post about cellphone germs, is totally irrelevant to the OP, which is strictly talking about tracking in filthy crap from the filthy streets and spreading it all over my floors. :rolleyes:

Some of us have a "personal preference" that others don't do that!;)

Last edited: Feb 23, 2020
  15. Checkout_my_Six

Display Name:

Display name:
    Check_my_Six
    I predict.....this thread is headed into Howard Hughes territory. :D

denverpilot and Glen R like this.
  16. Kuma

Kuma Filing Flight Plan

Display Name:

Display name:
    Kuma
    Exactly what I meant. No pants or cell phones are allowed in my house. They bring in all sorts of filthy stuff from outside.

17. redtail

redtail En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    Redtail
    So you are hellbent on equating cellphones (and now pants) to the bottom of a pair of street shoes and what they are exposed to on the public streets and sidewalks...hahaha. OKAY

I would have absolutely no issue complying, as long as you provided a secure place to leave my cellphone and pants.:D ...or I'd leave them in my car.

As for pants, if I saw you and others walking around without wearing any, I would expect you to explain your rule (not necessarily your reason for it) and then provide me with an alternative (robe, tunic, sweatpants, pajamas, shorts, etc... as well as privacy to change. If not, I'd respect your rules and leave.

BTW
    There are a few other things I don't allow in my house. Drugs (illegal), alcohol, smoking and pork. If you had any those items on you, I would provide you with a bag and respectfully request that you leave them in the bag or take them to your car.o_O

Though unrelated to the thread topic, I'll let you in on a little hint.
    Having never partaken in latter (four items I mentioned), since birth, is one of the secrets to my rather youthful appearance at 54 (compared to many my age and younger) and my overall good health.;)

Last edited: Feb 26, 2020
  18. Kuma

Kuma Filing Flight Plan

Display Name:

Display name:
    Kuma
    We are on the same page. Coffee, chicken, and open containers of Jet-A are not allowed in my house.

I do like to spritz on a few drops of 100-LL as cologne though I find it tends to attract male pilots moreso than ladies. o_O

Last edited: Feb 26, 2020
    redtail and SoonerAviator like this.
  19. denverpilot

denverpilot Tied Down

Display Name:

Display name:
    DenverPilot
    Wait a minute. You have streets AND sidewalks?!

You fancy city people... :)

redtail likes this.
  20. Ryanb

Ryanb Touchdown! Greaser! PoA Supporter

Display Name:

Display name:
    Ryan
    If your pant leg is dragging on the floor, they’re a size or two too big for you. :)

21. Kuma

Kuma Filing Flight Plan

Display Name:

Display name:
    Kuma
    It’s not the leg, it’s where they’ve sat of course. Subways, dr offices, gyms...festering places where filth accumulates. I give all my guests a freshly laundered green flight suit to put on.

22. Fiveslide

Fiveslide Line Up and Wait

Display Name:

Display name:
    Fiveslide
    You never had anyone that loved you enough to give you bacon? I'm so sorry. :D

IK04 likes this.
  23. redtail

redtail En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    Redtail
    Just turkey bacon.:D

Actually, my parents loved me so much, they groomed me to try to live the most healthy lifestyle possible, because they lived most of their young lives just the opposite! And they paid the price of such poor choices!

In fact, I'm actually the product of an experiment.

image.jpeg

Fiveslide likes this.
  24. flhrci

flhrci Final Approach

Display Name:

Display name:
    David
    I figured you got chemtrail mix spilled on you. LOL

redtail likes this.
  25. redtail

redtail En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    Redtail
    lol, not exactly, but I have inhaled an awful amount of jet fumes when I worked at the airports! :eek: