Wearing glasses with aviation headsets

Fellow_Pilot

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Fellow_Pilot
Is there like a seal for aviation headsets that are built for glasses?

Sure... but don’t go over GTOW with the fish to keep him happy.

coolanimals10.jpg

But seriously, most headsets made in past 5years do well with glasses.

Most of the current ear seals can cope with glasses in some way, but not always perfectly.

Glasses frame styles can help, too. When flying I wear either a silhouette frame (the temple is a very thin piece of flexible metal) or an Oakley frame (not flexible, but flat and also reasonably thin).

Never had an issue with any of my headsets - Peltor, DC, Telex, LightSpeed, as well as others I've worn as a passenger and a few real cheapos here and there. As others said, most headsets manufactured in the past 20 years or so have earseals which conform, or you can purchase them as an add-on.

If I had a special problem with it, I would strongly consider one of the in-ear models.

Oregon Aero makes some great earcups. They are temperfoam with a thin leatheret covering. They conform perfectly to glasses and seal really well.

My A20s are fine with any of my sunglasses. The only problem I have is when I try to turn completely around to look behind me, they tend to break seal then.

But to keep the frames from digging in on a long flight- I’ll move them up above the ear piece a bit.

My headset is 14 years old. I put a thick set of gel ear seal on and no problems. The ones I buy are thicker than the stock ones that come with a new headset. I do get frames that have a thin temple piece which really helps.

Woo hoo! Another time to tout the Halo's and Clarity Aloft in ears that are perfect with glasses!

I used to think that my headset sealed well against my sunglasses. Then i would take them off and it would be much quieter, until I got my clear glasses on . . . . Now I wear Halos, and glasses don't make a difference.

The biggest problem I have is with my Bose. I always wear sunglasses when flying and it breaks the seal for the noise canceling. So with my bose and other headset i usually raise the ear pieces up to the top of the seal and it seems to work better.

I’ll also move the eye glass ear piece to the top of the ear cup seal on my lightspeeds.

Woo hoo! Another time to tout the Halo's and Clarity Aloft in ears that are perfect with glasses!

It's always useful to have "ears that are perfect with glasses". But what about those of us who don't? ;)

My Zulus work well with flat and or thin armed shades, think Randolph aviators (though those are heavy), most Spy brand shades, rayband clubmasters, etc.

Is there like a seal for aviation headsets that are built for glasses?

I bought Flying Eyes glasses, that are held onto my head with a cloth strip that very comfortably fits under my headset. http://www.flyingeyesoptics.com

One of the pilot stores sells foam wedges to slip on to your glasses' temples to make a better seal; I haven't tried those.

Paul

Many years ago in Canada, I flew with a guy who had glasses specially made in which the 'front part' (the part with the optics) was connected to the 'ear part' via a pair of what looked like nylon fishing strings.
Just imagine taking a pair of glasses and cut off the arms between the 'front part' and the 'ear part'. Connect each 'front part' to the 'ear part' with two strings. One string goes to the top of the ear, the other to the bottom.
It worked well and was apparently comfortable, no chance of breaking the enc. Not sure why we don't see them now.

Go in ear! I went to clarity alofts many years ago and this was one of the main reasons, never looked back. You can wear however thick and absurd or large sunglasses you feel like and never have to worry about pressure spots or breaking the seal

Back