We did an engine stall

Don't you think that's a bit dangerous??! Flying a tiny little airplane over a school house filled with children? I feel you have negated safety. :fingerwag:
If you BUZZ the school, yes it can be dangerous. So don't do that.

Not to mention, schools are easy to spot from much higher altitudes. Especially athletic fields.

Made a slight change above. And you are right. Too many people here will scream bloody murder if you dare to do something just slightly different than what they do. Pretty much why I quit trying to be helpful on here. I am mostly here for the entertainment value.

You know your family better that any one here even thinks they do.

It's actually kind of funny because everyone I have ever met out at my hangars has been really cool...could talk to any of them for hours about flying. Here...not so much. Honestly, I ask a question on here from time to time, but other than that I have stayed away for the most part. What's amazing is I have found that going out and actually flying instead of looking for everyone's approval and advice on here has made me a better pilot. WOW - who would have thunk? Now a days I just come here to stir the pot, watch the Tom-D vs. Glenn battles, and watch the entertainment provided in threads like this. Some of the guys on here are jerks and some are pretty helpful and friendly. I still find it useful for the occasional questions I have.

Actually PoA reminds me a lot of my RC flying field. We have the "morning group" - all old retired guys who love flying their 200 mph jets and war birds in circles (most of them actually suck at flying RC). They hate the "afternoon" group, because we fly 3D (look it up - basically all post stall maneuvers - harriers, hovers, crankshafts, tumbles, etc). It isn't "scale" flying and they consider hovering over the runway dangerous (same guys who fly 200 mph over the runway and can't land their jet to save their life). It is so comical. You should see the board meetings. They find anything they can to complain about at these board meetings. God forbid you are spotted drinking a beer at the field. They just love having this sense of control over everything. We always joke that we would probably be that grumpy and miserable if we hadn't been laid in 20 years too. Not an attack on the older guys...we have some old retired guys who are really cool and love flying with the afternoon group.

Last edited:
@CC268 - Whatever the hell you think is fine.

I thought this thread was about taking up newbie passengers. Showing them Steeps and Stalls, Turns around a point, power off landings, and all the stuff we must know, I did write MUST, is not going to make them comfortable.

A couple nice flights where they are always comfortable is better for getting newbies to ride along

The only stall a passenger should experience should be at 5ft agl.

@CC268 - Whatever the hell you think is fine.

I thought this thread was about taking up newbie passengers. Showing them Steeps and Stalls, Turns around a point, power off landings, and all the stuff we must know, I did write MUST, is not going to make them comfortable.

A couple nice flights where they are always comfortable is better for getting newbies to ride along

The only stall a passenger should experience should be at 5ft agl.

You automatically make the assumption that all those things are going to make your passenger uncomfortable? I agree...I wouldn't go up with a new passenger and do stalls personally. Doesn't make it wrong if your passenger is open to it. But steep turns and turns around a point? Wow I thought those things were pretty normal when flying an airplane.

You automatically make the assumption that all those things are going to make your passenger uncomfortable?

Yup. Most first timers in a light aircraft don't want to go through it. They want to go for a ride.

Riddle me this: When was the last time you did a turn around a point?
My answer is: On my PPL checkride

How about Steeps and Stalls?
My answer: Flight review.

Why do that stuff with a newbie passenger?

Here's the problem with that. You can't possibly know your passengers on their first flight. They don't know themselves how they would react to unexpected motions.
Disagree. You might not know your passengers BEFORE the flight but you could possibly figure them out ON the flight.
Maybe on a later flight IF you're certain they know what they are agreeing to, AND you're willing to bet your life on them being right.

You don't have to be on the ground to do all of that.

Yup. Most first timers in a light aircraft don't want to go through it. They want to go for a ride.

Turns around a point is a great maneuver to stay sharp on as it is the best way to give someone a good look at their house, their school or someone's hot sister sunning herself in the backyard.

Turns around a point is a great maneuver to stay sharp on as it is the best way to give someone a good look at their house, their school or someone's hot sister sunning herself in the backyard.

Fair enough... I'll dip the wing and use rudder to stay on track for a nice camera shot, but I don't demonstrate pilotage 101 for newbies.

It's actually kind of funny because everyone I have ever met out at my hangars has been really cool...could talk to any of them for hours about flying. Here...not so much. Honestly, I ask a question on here from time to time, but other than that I have stayed away for the most part. What's amazing is I have found that going out and actually flying instead of looking for everyone's approval and advice on here has made me a better pilot. WOW - who would have thunk? Now a days I just come here to stir the pot, watch the Tom-D vs. Glenn battles, and watch the entertainment provided in threads like this. Some of the guys on here are jerks and some are pretty helpful and friendly. I still find it useful for the occasional questions I have.
It's because they can sit behind their computer screen and act high & mighty. Meet them in person and they're probably not that way (or maybe they are). Forums in general are full of experts and POA is no exception. Take 90% of what you read here with a grain of salt.

There are many pilots who are cocky as can be, but the average are down to earth, good people.

Once he works through being a rookie, it'll all be ok.

Last edited:

I don't disagree with you - your right that the best bet for most passengers is to simply fly gentle and smooth.

As far as your questions go...I have "cheated" in the sense that I have been doing a full aerobatic course, so I have been doing endless amounts of both stalls, steep turns, and turns around a point (this course has transformed my flying by the way - in a very good way). I find it pretty odd that you don't do turns around a point or steep turns very frequently (with or without passengers), even more odd since your flying an RV6!

If I didn't do any of those maneuvers on a very frequent basis then I wouldn't be demonstrating them to my passenger either. One thing I have learned to do is fly smaller patterns. I always try to stay well within gliding distance of the airport. Subsequently I make fairly aggressive/steeper turns when I am in the pattern, instead of making big long sweeping patterns. Just the other day I had to do a turn around a point - there was an LSA over at Wickenburg and he wasn't being very clear on the radio - no way I wanted to enter the pattern until I had a visual on him...so to be safe I did a turn around a point until I was able to get a visual on him and then crossed midfield to enter the downwind.

I don't know...maybe I am crazy...hell maybe I am wrong...but I use steep turns and turns around a point quite frequently when I fly. It is very possible I would do them while I am flying with a passenger.

It's because they can sit behind their computer screen and act high & mighty. Meet them in person and they're probably not that way (or maybe they are). Forums in general are full of experts and POA is no exception. Take 90% of what you read here with a grain of salt.

There are many pilots who are cocky as can be, but the average are down to earth, good people.

Well said...I agree. I am on A LOT of different forums and I can say that PoA is by far the roughest when it comes to the crowd lol.

I find it pretty odd that you don't do turns around a point or steep turns very frequently (with or without passengers), even more odd since your flying an RV6!

Point taken... but I haven't take anyone in my RV that hasn't first ridden in the C-177RG or has a PPL.

Perhaps I was saying that introducing newbies to GA should not include demonstrating the PTS, just giving a nice ride.

Point taken... but I haven't take anyone in my RV that hasn't first ridden in the C-177RG or has a PPL.

Perhaps I was saying that introducing newbies to GA should not include demonstrating the PTS, just giving a nice ride.

Yea I usually don't take anyone in my Cherokee unless they have first been in my TBM 930.

I think we all agree the best thing you can do is go up and demonstrate a stall, stomp on the right or left rudder and yell "oh ****"

All these posts about passengers randomly pushing and pulling on controls, and I'm here thinking... "Isn't that what every student pilot does? Sheesh..." Grin...

I think we all agree the best thing you can do is go up and demonstrate a stall, stomp on the right or left rudder and yell "oh ****"
And then pretend like you have no idea what's happening and how to correct it. Passengers will get a thrill!!

Back