Washington DC Recommendations

Ryan2

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Ryan2
Hi All -

Heading down to DC with the kids to explore a bit in about a month. Was looking at my options today and wanted some advice.

I have been down around the SFRA and landed at W00 in the past. That was before my instrument rating, would probably just plan on filing IFR for this flight to avoid all that nonsense.

We'd be approaching from the northwest - plan is to spend about 2 days downtown in Washington (museums, etc.) so I'm looking for the easiest place to land and then get downtown.

My thoughts so far:

-W00 is fine but when I was there (5-7 years ago) there was nothing. Not sure how hard/easy to get an Uber from there, but when I was there before friends picked me up. Also it's east side of the SFRA and I feel like I'm going to get vectored to hell to get there..

-Saw many recommendations for 2W5. That looks promising. Ground transport recommendations?

-Have been into IAD a few years ago for the museum. I believe IAD now has a metro connection, is that right? I remember it wasn't too terribly expensive, but I feel like that may have changed looking at Signature's page. Still maybe worth it vs. Uber/rental car?

-KGAI - seems reasonably convenient, but the Airnav reviews are pretty bad. Anyone have thoughts?

-My "out-there" thought. I heard I can get approval into the FRZ remotely now. Are these instructions still good? (https://www.aopa.org/news-and-media/all-news/2022/february/07/flying-in-the-washington-dc-frz) Is this realistic to do in 3.5 weeks? I am not opposed to getting fingerprinted locally and I have done all the rest, etc. CGS would be pretty tempting with approval!

-Other thoughts? Just looking for a solution that minimizes the ridiculousness on the ground ....

Thanks!

Yes, Metro to Dulles is open now, since last November (though closed this week due to some construction). It's about a 50 minute train ride to the middle of DC. But I don't think you'll find driving to be much faster, depending on the time of day. I believe it's $6 per person for that trip.

Get those fingers printed! College Station (CGS) is what we flew into about 6 years ago. Friendly place, 10 minute walk to the Metro station.

CGS can provide a propeller lock, but we brought our own.

Here's what I would do. Fly to JYO, Uber/Lift to Ashburn Metro station, silver line to DC.

Can I ask why?

If it were me or me and my wife, that'd be fine. But we have a 5 and 3yo in tow .... I kinda feel like the less "transfers" the better.

Also Uber with kids is a pain in the ass.

Get those fingers printed! College Station (CGS) is what we flew into about 6 years ago. Friendly place, 10 minute walk to the Metro station.

CGS can provide a propeller lock, but we brought our own.

So I'd be interested in this. Do you know if those AOPA instructions are still correct? In the past you had to do it IN PERSON at one of the DC3 airports, and frankly I was never there enough to make it worthwhile. If I can do it locally and it seems like I can) then I'd be all for it.

So I'd be interested in this. Do you know if those AOPA instructions are still correct? In the past you had to do it IN PERSON at one of the DC3 airports, and frankly I was never there enough to make it worthwhile. If I can do it locally and it seems like I can) then I'd be all for it.
Everything you need to know is here; 3 weeks is doable but I'd start the process today...
https://collegeparkairport.aero/md3.html

FRZ vetting takes about 3 weeks, so you'd be cutting it real close. Call up Lee Somer at CGS and see what he has to say.
There's less going on at W00 now than 5 years ago.
KGAI is close to the metro. JYO as well, but I'm not sure the extra distance is worth not dealing with KGAI. Plus there's a restaurant at KGAI which is a helpful thing with kids.
You said you're flying from the NW, where is your final destination? Are you staying downtown?

Feel free to PM me when you get here.

Yeah, KGAI is just inside the SFRA, but not the FRZ, so that's a bit easier. Few minutes drive to Shady Grove Metro, which is Red line, which gets you to downtown DC just the same.

Edit - your three year old is free on Metro

Do not have to do in person anymore. Quite easy. But does take some time.

FRZ vetting takes about 3 weeks, so you'd be cutting it real close. Call up Lee Somer at CGS and see what he has to say.
There's less going on at W00 now than 5 years ago.
KGAI is close to the metro. JYO as well, but I'm not sure the extra distance is worth not dealing with KGAI. Plus there's a restaurant at KGAI which is a helpful thing with kids.
You said you're flying from the NW, where is your final destination? Are you staying downtown?

Feel free to PM me when you get here.
I actually reached out to him today via email but got an automated response that he is out of the office. I have the link from Brad and will go through that.

Edit: Have you had issues with GAI? I just read some very "less than flattering" reviews which is not normal on Airnav IMO. Reviews on that site are generally positive. Airport restaurants are nice though!

Yes, final destination is downtown. Planning on staying downtown

Can I ask why?

You asked for suggestions so I gave you one?

It would be cheaper than parking at Signature at IAD. Amount of hassle between the two is arguable, likewise for GAI. This is if you can't get in the FRZ.

I would not rent a car.

...-KGAI - seems reasonably convenient, but the Airnav reviews are pretty bad. Anyone have thoughts?
Maybe I'm looking in the wrong place, but the FBO has all 5 star reviews on Airnav...?

You asked for suggestions so I gave you one?

It would be cheaper than parking at Signature at IAD. Amount of hassle between the two is arguable, likewise for GAI. This is if you can't get in the FRZ.

I would not rent a car.

Sorry did not mean to come off like it did. I was just wanting to understand your reasoning that's all. :)

Thanks for the reply.

There’s a thread here on kgai and the wonderful people there.

it’s terrific except for the Wild West factor

There’s a thread here on kgai and the wonderful people there.

it’s terrific except for the Wild West factor

Wild West factor being ..... how people fly it? Sorry not quite sure what you mean....

What would your suggestion be for ground transport to Washington after landing?

I am located in Canada and managed to do everything remotely except for finger printing. Finger printing: I did it by bringing the appropriate blank finger print forms to the local US police station across the border.

Wild West factor being ..... how people fly it? Sorry not quite sure what you mean....

What would your suggestion be for ground transport to Washington after landing?
It's a CTAF airport, with a couple of flight schools that will be active anytime it's VFR conditions, mixed with business jets and Mooneys doing straight-ins

:yeahthat: Expect traffic, big patterns, radio monologues, etc. Overheard last week:
"N12345, Potomac, advise when you have the traffic in sight."
"Potomac, N12345, I have them on the screen."
"N12345, Potomac, that means out the window, not on the screen... Advise when you have the traffic in sight."

:yeahthat: Expect traffic, big patterns, radio monologues, etc. Overheard last week:
"N12345, Potomac, advise when you have the traffic in sight."
"Potomac, N12345, I have them on the screen."
"N12345, Potomac, that means out the window, not on the screen... Advise when you have the traffic in sight."

Lol sounds fun.

Any recommendations for getting into DC after landing?

It's ~5 miles from GAI to the metro. If your hotel is right on the red line and/or your kids do the HOLY ****!!! TRAINS!!! thing like mine do, it might be worth waiting on an outdoor platform in the end of July heat. If not, you may consider ponying up for that air conditioned Uber XL.

It's ~5 miles from GAI to the metro. If your hotel is right on the red line and/or your kids do the HOLY ****!!! TRAINS!!! thing like mine do, it might be worth waiting on an outdoor platform in the end of July heat. If not, you may consider ponying up for that air conditioned Uber XL.

Hahaha - yeah my son does the "HOLY **** TRAINS" thing so I think that will be our mode of transportation hahahaha.

Thanks!

Shady Grove (nearest to GAI) is in fact an outdoor station, but with a canopy. And most trains have good AC these days, especially if you get one of the newer, 7000-series trains (the silver and purple ones)

Not sure where you're coming from but late July/Aug DC is very hot and humid, with moderate chance of late afternoon thunderstorms.

One easy transportation option is to do Manassas (HEF) on a weekday and do the VRE commuter train in. It stops in Alexandria, crystal city, and L’enfant plaza, all the places you’d want to check out or get a hotel room at. The schedule takes a most commuter pattern, although there are two afternoon/evening trains inbound (and two outbound trains in the morning). This works if you travel to and from the airport M-F. Ask the FBO to give you a ride to the Broad Run VRE station.

It stops in Alexandria, crystal city, and L’enfant plaza, all the places you’d want to check out
Two of those are horrible places :p
Though L'enfant Plaza is walkable to many of the Smithsonian Museums on one side and to the SW Waterfront on the other, it still happens to be a barren concrete monstrosity between the two points of interest. I'd rather stay in the Penn Quarter area if I were making recommendations to someone

He probably meant "check out" in the "pass away" sense. :D

Two of those are horrible places :p
Though L'enfant Plaza is walkable to many of the Smithsonian Museums on one side and to the SW Waterfront on the other, it still happens to be a barren concrete monstrosity between the two points of interest. I'd rather stay in the Penn Quarter area if I were making recommendations to someone
DC Union station is a horrible place. I agree that L’Enfant plaza is a monstrosity but if my last 15 years of working right there, it’s a popular metro stop for the Smithsonian. The VRE is just above the MD Ave exit of the L’enfant Metro station.

There are hotels in walking distance of Crystal City VRE and Alexandria Union Station, two popular areas for hotels for tourists.

if you want my DC recommendations, it would be to steer away completely and hit somewhere like Annapolis or Harpers Ferry. The city just kinda sucks, imo.

I use KCGS to go into dc area. Nice place. Nice people. Sure wish they had a clearance delivery frequency instead of having to call.

You could fly into Manassas (KHEF). It's inside the SFRA, but outside the FRZ. The Virginia Railway express has a stop just outside the perimeter fence. The VRE stops at L'Enfant Plaza and Union Station. VRE doesn't run as often as the Metro, so you'd have to coordinate arrival times better. I lived in Manassas for 11 years and worked on Independence Avenue in DC so VRE was my way to and from work. I liked the real train more than Metro.

You could fly into Manassas (KHEF). It's inside the SFRA, but outside the FRZ. The Virginia Railway express has a stop just outside the perimeter fence. The VRE stops at L'Enfant Plaza and Union Station. VRE doesn't run as often as the Metro, so you'd have to coordinate arrival times better. I lived in Manassas for 11 years and worked on Independence Avenue in DC so VRE was my way to and from work. I liked the real train more than Metro.
what agency? FAA? ;)

Appreciate the advice all.

I submitted all my paperwork for getting approved to fly into the FRZ today including doing the fingerprinting. It was tedious, but not really all that difficult. We'll see if I get clearance in time to use CGS. If not, sounds like GAI or HEF would be good additional options as well. Appreciate all the insights and advice.

what agency? FAA? ;)'

No, Department of Energy, just next door to the FAA.

Attachments

• upload_2023-6-24_11-8-23.png
    upload_2023-6-24_11-8-23.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 13
  • upload_2023-6-24_11-8-37.png
    upload_2023-6-24_11-8-37.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 12
Smithsonian museums are all free and centrally located downtown, you can hit them back to back, they run bankers hours so wake up early! Lots of security so pack light to ease the process.

The Air & Space museum at Dulles is far away and you lose a lot of time venturing out that way.

Make an online reservation to go into:
1) White House tours (needs more time for background check - a nice tour!)
2) Capitol tours (easily done online)
3) Washington monument tour (easily done online - however I heard it was closed due to an earthquake long time ago not sure if resumed)
4) Printing & Engraving tour (very easily done online), this is a VERY cool tour in my opinion.

Contact your congressman to request a tour of the Capitol dome tour (you should do this!! I never got a chance to).

Old Ebbitt Grill next to the White House is a fun spot, used to hang out there with colleagues after work.

Drive down Embassy Row aka Massachusetts Ave NW and check out all of the Embassy’s, there’s a ton! If you want adventure, sneak into an Embassy party! At the end of Embassy Row is Washington National Cathedral, it’s beautiful and free to go inside!

Check out U Street NW, Ben’s Chili Bowl (Obama went there), it’s a busy busy place decent food. I like the jazz bars on U Street (they did after hours before). I also like the Ethiopian food in DC (you eat with your hands!).

DC is split into 4 districts, stay in the NW district for the most part.

Do you want more stuff to do?

Last edited:
Back